Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options

That's the dilemma for all the AP's. If you put all your coins out for sale on the web the sharks come in and the general public is left out.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2500

Well it looks like thecoinvault.com got hold of a number of sets of these bullion pieces as well. As the rest of us wait for them to go on sale for us to purchase.

image >>

OK, now things are not good.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried to place an order today with Apmex? If they are shipping orders, are they also taking orders?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anybody selling capsules for these yet? >>

Karin at Wizard Coin supply has capsules that she thinks will work. She says that she has to see the coins first as she is concerned that they may be too thin. >>

Someone call air-tites again.

the last time I called, they said they hadn't even begun the manufacturing process because they were not sure of the dimensions. This was just before the first on-sale date.

They have a Z5 and Z10 direct fit already. The diameter appears to be slightly larger, but on the Z5 the thickness may be too thin and the thickness for the Z10 would be too thick.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my set today. I heartily commend APMEX for their packaging. The coins are in capsules that look like they were intended for something thicker, but the diameter is fine and it works just great. The individual padded zippie bags (with ID labels) are a nice touch.

In hand the coins are quite impressive. As previously mentioned by the mint, the detailing of the dies is a bit finer than on the circulating coins, and I have no objection to that.

Most of the coins show fine die polish lines in the fields, as made. Not a problem, as it is consistent.

One coin does show some major scraping on the raised ring that forms the reverse border. My guess is that it came from the Mint that way. The rest of the coins are fine; would probably grade MS-69 if I slabbed them. I feel no need to.

All in all I am happy with the set, and inclined to buy another one next year.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't know the first thing about doing pictures here. I remember trying it once.

I love the Mt Hood. It is the exact, EXACT, picture we took years ago when we were there on vacation. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Can you tell I am excited about these coins? I hope everyone here that wants a set gets one. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. >>

The Mt. Hood design is this year's best! >>

In this format, I think the intensely detailed Grand Canyon is the best.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2500

Well it looks like thecoinvault.com got hold of a number of sets of these bullion pieces as well. As the rest of us wait for them to go on sale for us to purchase.

image >>

OK, now things are not good. >>

Is anyone watching? Are they offering them raw or slabbed? I don't get Coin Vault on my stupid cable package.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    no go for me here either.

what do they say about delivery time or delay? etc.

(we need more details!)

can someone post video captures on youtube, btw?

• Options

<< <i>I don't get Coin Vault on my stupid cable package. >>

Suddenly, we are fighting to get Coin Vault....
  • Options
    Im watching so far they havent put them on yet
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is painfully clear why the APs are delaying selling the ATB pucks to the general public. It is not to "assess the mint guidelines" nor is to set up for retailing. The delay is clearly to allow all of their biggest second tier clients to setup and implement their respective "friends and family" network (call it what you will) to purchase as many as possible, if not all, before releasing a token amount to the public. The evidence is mounting. The pucks are showing up in numbers at the big retail outlets, yet they aren't on sale at any of the APs. It stinks. It stinks big time. I hope the mint audits all of the offenders and sh*t cans any that even look cross-eyed at them. image
  • Options
    you can watch it live online
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How funny i called they want 3400 bucks what a deal, have been told they have been selling these all week and they offer a graded set for i think around 3800 . If anyone here actually thinks the AP's are playing fair Guess again, my guess is monaco got the 500 sets they were promised even after the guidelines were changed. This is just another way for the AP'S to say screw the public. I for One hope the U S Mint demands to look at all there books and figure who sold them these coins and thats it there kicked off the list. I am not worried about getting a set but this shows once again there were deals made...................................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This stinks.

"Sold to the public" my butt.

You could only get one if you were willing to pay the huge markup that the mint clarified should not exist for the public. Now try getting one.

I think Weiss is selling one.
  • Options

There is alot of money involved. Who would want to give to the general public?
  • Options
    Well, i'm not gonna bother quoting the law. Because there's the law and there's reality. And you are better off accepting reality.

• Options
    Well, I did call the Mint's legal affairs office for the 2nd day in a row, and left another message with my concerns. They have not returned my calls.

Apmex has told me now several times that they are not selling these sets, and yet we see that they in fact are selling these sets.

My own attitude is that I'm not paying more than the original issue price, and that's that.

I hope that whoever wants a set gets them at a fair price, but I must say, based on all that has transpired that the Mint is screwed up beyond the usual amount, the Authorized Purchasers are not being honest in their dealings with the Mint nor the Public, and that scalpers will be out to fleece the public as usual.

There's nothing left to do. The little guy gets screwed, but that is par for this course. Congrats, Mint. Congrats, Apmex. Your names are dirt.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like some others, I have no idea how to post pics on this forum. I anticipate my pucks to arrive tomorrow from APMEX. If someone can tell me how to post pics, I'll happily do so of the APMEX packaging and of the coins. >>

You'll have to upload the pics to an image hosting service. If you don't have an account on one, you can just upload them to www.tinypic.com. Once each pic is uploaded, you'll be given a URL for that pic. Then, when you compose your message, pick the "image" button and enter the URL for the desired image. At least that's how I've done it in the past. >>

Thanks! I'll try this when I get the coins - hopefully tomorrow.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I guess they are going to sell their ONE Set for Moon Money!!
  • Options

<< <i>image

I guess they are going to sell their ONE Set for Moon Money!! >>

LOL....WHAT B.S.

Using the APs for this has been such an utter disaster.
  • Options
    It's on Coin Vault right now. They are NGC slabbed.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

Privatize the gains socialize the losses.
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    You can watch a live stream of The Coin Vault show here:

Coin Vault Live Stream

Bullion is being shown NOW
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

I guess they are going to sell their ONE Set for Moon Money!! >>

LOL....WHAT B.S.

Using the APs for this has been such an utter disaster. >>

They are selling FIVE SETS atr $ 3499 per set.

They are selling FIVE SETS atr $ 3499 per set.

IMHO, BS!
  • Options

<< <i>It's on Coin Vault right now. They are NGC slabbed. >>

Okay, they are only showing illustrations. They are NOT showing already-slabbed coins in-hand.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's on Coin Vault right now. They are NGC slabbed. >>

Okay, they are only showing illustrations. They are NOT showing already-slabbed coins in-hand. >>

They said they sent some to NGC already.

I just called.

They have 150 of 040117 5 coin set NGC ERs for sale!
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow..... just called the number for Coin Vault. You can get the set of 5 for only..... $3499.95.

Time to call the Mint again.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I just heard on the crappy quality stream that coin vault is doing secondary market to acquire the coins. Anyone else hear that?

I think coin vault is speculating and pre-selling.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Wow..... just called the number for Coin Vault. You can get the set of 5 for only..... $3499.95.

Time to call the Mint again..... >>

.................. plus shipping and handling
    ----- kj
  • Options
    One of the important skills in numismatic purchasing is knowing when to LET GO.

These things are dead to me.

• Options
    Yeah, it's possible they may be pre selling these. After all, they are NOT showing any actual coins. If they had received some, I would suspect they would have shown a couple on the show to help sales (while the rest were off to NGC for grading). They did mention they have to get the coins on the secondary market.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    When I called, I asked if they had these in hand. The gal kind of hesitated, then said they have them available. (not sure what she means by that.... again, these very well may be pre sales. For the price they are charging, should not be too hard to pick up some sets in the secondary market)
    ----- kj
  • Options
    As to the ERs...as I mentioned earlier, I spoke with NGC this a.m. The rep said that they had not graded any yet.
  • Options
    ...and you can get MS 69 ER's for $3995!image
  • Options
    $3999.95 for a set of MS69. How do they know they're going to get any that grade that high?
  • Options

<< <i>One of the important skills in numismatic purchasing is knowing when to LET GO.
    >>

I'm 99.9% there, brother!
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Just when you thought things couldn't get any crazier!

• Options

<< <i>Just when you thought things couldn't get any crazier!

image >>

The price?

Insane.

Photoshopped? Yes.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd jump on that!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got my set today. I heartily commend APMEX for their packaging. The coins are in capsules that look like they were intended for something thicker, but the diameter is fine and it works just great. The individual padded zippie bags (with ID labels) are a nice touch. In hand the coins are quite impressive. As previously mentioned by the mint, the detailing of the dies is a bit finer than on the circulating coins, and I have no objection to that. Most of the coins show fine die polish lines in the fields, as made. Not a problem, as it is consistent. One coin does show some major scraping on the raised ring that forms the reverse border. My guess is that it came from the Mint that way. The rest of the coins are fine; would probably grade MS-69 if I slabbed them. I feel no need to.

All in all I am happy with the set, and inclined to buy another one next year. TD >>

Many thanks Capt H for the detailed and helpful report, which is encouraging. Do you think we can also count you in for the whole set of 112 going up to 2021?
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Whats wrong with the price? Should people not be allowed to pay this? Let 'em, I'll gladly let them have my sets for 3500.00image----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    It is interesting they are now selling 2011 ASE bullion rolls as "pre-sale", item 122774

They used the words "pre-sale" and seem to take pride that they will keep the buyers in the loop with the pre-sales.

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    It basically looks like all the AP's are telling the "Public" you are SOL. Weren't the words "immediately available" used somewhere?
  • Options
    I still advise caution and some calm.

APMEX is shipping pre-sales at the regular price and a reduced shipping charge, too.

• Options
    With tomorrow being Christmas Eve, it will probably be Monday before we know much more.

I'm still hoping for that $899 set through APMEX but if that falls through? image I'm SOL!

I wonder how many sets The Coin Vault was able to buy from the AP's?
  • Options
    They seem to take pride in using the word "pre-sale" on the 2011 ASEs.

no mention of pre-sale on the ATB 5oz.

I don't know how they got them, but I hope they used lots of lots of different names and addresses.

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    It would be easy for an ap to use a program to randomly pick names and addresses from a database to make the books look like they were sold 1 per hh
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    MsM

Your call for calm is like the "call for calm" when Germany invaded Poland in September, 1939.

How much evidence do you need that the AP's are purposely delaying general public release to allow the old "friends and family" network to purchase out "one by one" thesesets while providing individual names and addresses?

A big joke.

USM take notice. They pulled one over on you too. Every AP must immediately start taking orders from the general public. Do it by hand if you have to.

Dont send another set to an AP. The residual sets not claimed - hold them up.

• Options

<< <i>It would be easy for an ap to use a program to randomly pick names and addresses from a database to make the books look like they were sold 1 per hh >>

this is true.

they'd have to cross check shipping records.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file