Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>whatever you want to believe - more power to you - i guess everyone has an opinion

i've just seen and heard of many "early" bulk submissions (and regular submissions) of moderns, not cherry picked, with very high percentages of 70's

vs. later submissions in bulk (and regular), not cherry picked, where percentages of 70's tail off quite a bit

kind of like a spicket being shut off. no real diff in quality of submissions.

take it as you will. >>

I don't have any beliefs one way or tuther. If people here have some sort of proof that PCGS or other TPGs show favoritism to one submitter over another or grade coins on a quota system then perhaps they should man up and take it to a courtroom instead of always insinuating here. >>

Not having any beliefs is just plain sad. >>

Beliefs about the pucks and grading, DUH!! >>

Exactly my point, having no beliefs or opinions is just odd, why even post about it then?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ordered the Vicksburg last night

I received the apmex advertisement for it 6 hours before the Alret Me i set up lol >>

Same here... at a decent price for a bullion product and not the inflated US Mint price.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Finally had a chance to look at my 2010 Jack Hunts after moving. All 68DMPL except the Grand Canyon, which was 68PL (I was one of the folks whose order got lost.) I know the dead horse has already been beaten, but there is a big bottleneck on those GC DMs!!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    epcjimi1,
    I too believe the US mint has the distribution system in place to take orders directly from the public.
    They would have to charge a higher S&H charge due to smaller transactions, but there would be a
    group of collectors that would buy from the mint and by pass the middleman.

There is probably some odd ball / ancient legislation that prevents the US mint from doing this
    in this day and age with all the technology available.

At some point in time prior to the internet a lot of it / middleman made sense but not anymore.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>whatever you want to believe - more power to you - i guess everyone has an opinion

i've just seen and heard of many "early" bulk submissions (and regular submissions) of moderns, not cherry picked, with very high percentages of 70's

vs. later submissions in bulk (and regular), not cherry picked, where percentages of 70's tail off quite a bit

take it as you will. >>

I don't have any beliefs one way or tuther. If people here have some sort of proof that PCGS or other TPGs show favoritism to one submitter over another or grade coins on a quota system then perhaps they should man up and take it to a courtroom instead of always insinuating here. >>

Exactly my point, having no beliefs or opinions is just odd, why even post about it then? >>

Because as a series, I have no numismatic interest in the ATB coins [like many here, I don't mind flipping them for a few bucks profit] but I get tired of people constantly accusing the TPGs of some sort of favoritism or bias to certain submitters when they offer no proof to back up their claims.

It is unfortunate that PCGS didn't decide to grade the 2009 UHRs as PL or DMPL from the git go.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

take it as you will. >>

Exactly my point, having no beliefs or opinions is just odd, why even post about it then? >>

Because as a series, I have no numismatic interest in the ATB coins [like many here, I don't mind flipping them for a few bucks profit] but I get tired of people constantly accusing the TPGs of some sort of favoritism or bias to certain submitters when they offer no proof to back up their claims.

It is unfortunate that PCGS didn't decide to grade the 2009 UHRs as PL or DMPL from the git go. >>

Well that I understand.

It is very unfortunate, I think in the future the TPG's need to slow down. I really dis like the whole first strike thing, it almost forces them to rush. With more time the TPG's could have been better prepared.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    If you still need some hard to find ATB coins Try Blue Moon coins I got a great deal on Yellowstone 69 DMPL. Call and compare on some you are looking for.This is my first dealing with them but looks like it wont be my last.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Amark is still trying to hustle the first two 2011 pucks for 629.99 + shipping.

Amark 629.99

The reason the current price of bullion from the other APs looks 'reasonable' now is because the POS fell from when the Mint (and amark) priced their product, Yeah, I know, the APs sell bullion based on the spot price so it'll fluctuate.

When the POS goes back to $40-50/oz this is going to be a whole different story.

I'd gladly twice the premium the APs charge over spot for 2011 puck bullion and buy it directly from the mint. That would be 'reasonable' to me.

To use the $279.99 P puck price as the basis of comparison is apples and oranges.
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Can someone who ordered a set from Prudential tell me how the shipping cost worked?
    What was the fee? Was it a set fee, or did the fee vary based on location?
    Thanks in advance,
    Aron
  • Options

<< <i>Amark is still trying to hustle the first two 2011 pucks for 629.99 + shipping.

Amark 629.99

The reason the current price of bullion from the other APs looks 'reasonable' now is because the POS fell from when the Mint (and amark) priced their product, Yeah, I know, the APs sell bullion based on the spot price so it'll fluctuate.

When the POS goes back to $40-50/oz this is going to be a whole different story.

I'd gladly twice the premium the APs charge over spot for 2011 puck bullion and buy it directly from the mint. That would be 'reasonable' to me.

To use the $279.99 P puck price as the basis of comparison is apples and oranges. >>

A-MARK was the best AP that I delt with and delivered the best coins with the least hassle I tried to order the 2011 pucks from them just for being fair to us but they didn't have them in PCGS slabs. They called and suggest that I cancel my order since theres were in the other guys slab. Honest and straight forward till the end. Sorry they are having trouble moving their 2011 coins . Thanks And Good Luck To A-MARK and UP theirs to the others that cheated us all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amark is still trying to hustle the first two 2011 pucks for 629.99 + shipping.

Amark 629.99

>>

I don't get it. Why sell the pair for $200+ more than other retailers? Are these slabbed? If they were numismatic strikes, I could understand it but it does not imply that.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aron, Prudentials shipped for a flat fee anywhere, $65 if I recall correctly.

I actually got my set today FINALLY (thanks to Msmorrison for the forms). Havn't had a chance yet to see how they shape up.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

Amark 629.99

>>

I don't get it. Why sell the pair for $200+ more than other retailers? Are these slabbed? If they were numismatic strikes, I could understand it but it does not imply that. >>

If I remember they were bu by the other guy yes they need to drop prices you can get all 3 coins now for that or less.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aron, Prudentials shipped for a flat fee anywhere, $65 if I recall correctly.

I actually got my set today FINALLY (thanks to Msmorrison for the forms). Havn't had a chance yet to see how they shape up. >>

I hope your coins are as nice as mine are. Mine are at PCGS for grading now. I expect them back early in July.
  • Options

<< <i>[I hope your coins are as nice as mine are. Mine are at PCGS for grading now. I expect them back early in July. >>

Brave man. I truly applaud you. -image

Let us know the thrill of victory -or- the agony of defeat, to quote Jim McKay of Wide World of Sports fame.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another subject, I was just commenting on the 2011 "San Francisco" slabbed ASEs. There are a LOT of 70s out there. Like the bullion pucks, these came in rolls in monster boxes. I'm struck that there are 70s galore w/the S ASE bullion coins yet none at all with the bullion pucks. Makes not sense whatsoever.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    It may be the 5X weight that is the issue.
    When the big boys bang into each other they get a little roughed up.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>On another subject, I was just commenting on the 2011 "San Francisco" slabbed ASEs. There are a LOT of 70s out there. Like the bullion pucks, these came in rolls in monster boxes. I'm struck that there are 70s galore w/the S ASE bullion coins yet none at all with the bullion pucks. Makes not sense whatsoever. >>

There do seem to be a 70s galore with the "S" ASEs. The ATBs do have a huge surface area though. There is a much higher probability of having imperfections with the large coins.
  • Options
    how much are they now? have they dropped?
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On another subject, I was just commenting on the 2011 "San Francisco" slabbed ASEs. There are a LOT of 70s out there. Like the bullion pucks, these came in rolls in monster boxes. I'm struck that there are 70s galore w/the S ASE bullion coins yet none at all with the bullion pucks. Makes not sense whatsoever. >>

There do seem to be a 70s galore with the "S" ASEs. The ATBs do have a huge surface area though. There is a much higher probability of having imperfections with the large coins. >>

I can certainly understand they're being less ATB 70s, but not none when there are tons of ASE 70s.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On another subject, I was just commenting... >>

... and on another thread (History), I brought up the "hockey pucks". Why ? Because this thread reminded me of "history" in the making. And that reminded me what "a riot" this place can be, sometimes.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There do seem to be a 70s galore with the "S" ASEs. The ATBs do have a huge surface area though. There is a much higher probability of having imperfections with the large coins. >>

I can certainly understand they're being less ATB 70s, but not none when there are tons of ASE 70s. >>

If I remember correctly, and someone correct me if I'm wrong,
    but didn't NGC grade one a 70, but there was some kind of collusion between NGC and PCGS and they decided there would be no 70's, NOT that there weren't any 70's, but THEY would not grade any as 70 and NGC ended up pulling the grade.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I can certainly understand they're being less ATB 70s, but not none when there are tons of ASE 70s. >>

If I remember correctly, and someone correct me if I'm wrong,
    but didn't NGC grade one a 70, but there was some kind of collusion between NGC and PCGS and they decided there would be no 70's, NOT that there weren't any 70's, but THEY would not grade any as 70 and NGC ended up pulling the grade. >>

There was one NGC MS70 that appeared on ebay months ago. From the crummy photos, it was fairly clear that it wasn't any better than the 69s. NGC ultimately asked to have it regraded and it was pulled.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

That was the NGC MS70 Yosemite put up by scotsmanauctions.

NGC MS70

Although the pics are pretty bad, you can still see the infamous "spot" on
    George's cheek, a milky looking abrasion in the shoulder/lower neck, and
    abrasions along the rim. Today, I doubt this coin would get more than a 66.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    They were right to pull it. A potential $10K coin which could develop spotting issues. It might have been perfect, but what if it turned in the holder. I don't think the TPGs want to guarantee such a coin.
  • Options
    Gosh! Not a SINGLE Grand Canyon 68DMPL on ebay. Unless my searching is off.
  • Options

<< <i>"It might have been perfect, but what if it turned in the holder". >>

Why does that make absolutely zero sense to me.....so a coin is perfect but MIGHT have an issue years later so it is denied proper grading....

Reminds me of the 20th Anniversary "No 70's" policy.....rescinded when the competition properly graded the sets....

This time there is collusion preventing the proper grades from being marked so we have our 70's marked as 69's

I think it would be better to grade the 70's properly and add a disclaimer stating that they were exempt from the 70 grade guarantee until the spotting issue is confirmed or dispelled
  • Options

<< <i>Gosh! Not a SINGLE Grand Canyon 68DMPL on ebay. Unless my searching is off. >>

They have all become part of my hoard image But there are no 68 dmpl single GC's. A few sets. They are going to become much harder to find as time goes by for sure. I do own 4 of them and you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands image Or send a check with a few zero's image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"It might have been perfect, but what if it turned in the holder". >>

Why does that make absolutely zero sense to me.....so a coin is perfect but MIGHT have an issue years later so it is denied proper grading....

Reminds me of the 20th Anniversary "No 70's" policy.....rescinded when the competition properly graded the sets....

This time there is collusion preventing the proper grades from being marked so we have our 70's marked as 69's

I think it would be better to grade the 70's properly and add a disclaimer stating that they were exempt from the 70 grade guarantee until the spotting issue is confirmed or dispelled >>

The bad thing is there were issues with the coin visible in the bad photos. As indicated would be lucky to get a 66 today image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gosh! Not a SINGLE Grand Canyon 68DMPL on ebay. Unless my searching is off. >>

They have all become part of my hoard image But there are no 68 dmpl single GC's. A few sets. They are going to become much harder to find as time goes by for sure. I do own 4 of them and you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands image Or send a check with a few zero's image >>

This was a result of Jack Hunt sending me a set of all 68DM except the GC, which came as 68PL....shucks....I do see a few sets on the bay. I might have to watch for a decent deal on a set to get it....

As of now, 639 graded GC PCGS 68DMs, 899 GC 69DMs.
  • Options
    I'd prefer the GC 69DM to the 68DM anyday. image
  • Options
    Hi All

Is there an easy way to get pop report across all 2010 ATBs for all MS/PL/DM ?

I hate to look up and type in 15 coin numbers and put them in Excel image

Thanks !
  • Options

<< <i>

They have all become part of my hoard image But there are no 68 dmpl single GC's. A few sets. They are going to become much harder to find as time goes by for sure. I do own 4 of them and you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands image Or send a check with a few zero's image >>

OK Ill give you a check with 4 zeros you just only get zeros, I can go up to 5 zeros if I have to but thats pushing it.
  • Options

I got my grades from PCGS:

Hot Springs MS66 PL
    Hot springs MS67 PL
    Yellowstone MS67 PL
    Yosemite MS68 DMPL
    Grand Canyon MS67 PL
    MT Hood MS 68 PL
    Mt Hood MS67 DMPL

Certainly not what I was expecting as these coins looked as good as any that I have sent in that came back at a much higher grade.

I will be buying any more that I get on ebay because I can not afford to send them in for grading and get those kind of grades.
  • Options

<< <i>I got my grades from PCGS:

Hot Springs MS66 PL
    Hot springs MS67 PL
    Yellowstone MS67 PL
    Yosemite MS68 DMPL
    Grand Canyon MS67 PL
    MT Hood MS 68 PL
    Mt Hood MS67 DMPL

Certainly not what I was expecting as these coins looked as good as any that I have sent in that came back at a much higher grade.

I will be buying any more that I get on ebay because I can not afford to send them in for grading and get those kind of grades. >>

Guess you didn't get the memo, PCGS cut off the spigot on any more high grades. Actually those are somewhat decent compared to what others have got around here.
  • Options

These were cherry picked and should have gotten higher grades.

I have most of my sets complete now and will just buy what I am missing and not send any more in for grading.

Let someone else do that. I will just buy their results.

It's cheaper when you think about it.
  • Options
    Hhhmmm...PCGS still wants your pucks. This offer strikes me as goofy considering the downward trend in grade results for cherry picked coins from private submitters.

<<NEW Collectors Club Quarterly Grading Special

From July 1 - September 30, 2011, PCGS Collectors Club Members can take advantage of our new Quarterly Grading Special. For three months (July-September), Collectors Club members can send one submission of five coins for America the Beautiful 5-ounce Modern service and only pay for four!...>>

new collectors club special announcement thread

Strange. I don't know whether to try a submission or not.
  • Options

That's $208 instead of $260 for poor grades. Good luck guys.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Ditto.
    'nuff said image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>These were cherry picked and should have gotten higher grades.

I have most of my sets complete now and will just buy what I am missing and not send any more in for grading.

It's cheaper when you think about it. >>

Ya but at 5 for the price of 4?????? geez i don't think I can pass it up. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT image There has been way too much evidence presentented here. Case closed!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I got 4 sets from Apmex. That turned out to be the best move I've made in this whole game.
  • Options

I have an extra Yosemite first strike 68 Dmpl that I would like to trade for a first strike Hot Springs MS69 PL. Is anyone interested? PM me.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hhhmmm...PCGS still wants your pucks. This offer strikes me as goofy considering the downward trend in grade results for cherry picked coins from private submitters.

<<NEW Collectors Club Quarterly Grading Special

From July 1 - September 30, 2011, PCGS Collectors Club Members can take advantage of our new Quarterly Grading Special. For three months (July-September), Collectors Club members can send one submission of five coins for America the Beautiful 5-ounce Modern service and only pay for four!...>>

new collectors club special announcement thread

Strange. I don't know whether to try a submission or not. >>

I have decided to go fishing today instead.......Enjoy image Oh ampex has all the coins in all the grades cheaper to just buy from them, thanks US MINT for all your help....image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>These were cherry picked and should have gotten higher grades.

It's cheaper when you think about it. >>

Ya but at 5 for the price of 4?????? geez i don't think I can pass it up. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT image There has been way too much evidence presentented here. Case closed!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I got 4 sets from Apmex. That turned out to be the best move I've made in this whole game. >>

I'm guessing you still need to pay for First Strike with the 5th?
  • Options
    Ya I'm guessing. I won't be wasting any FRN's myself though.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    There could be hairline scratches that are causing these DMPLs and PLs to grade lower. My Yosemite came back a PCGS MS 63 PL. It had no obvious marks on the coin at all. I did get a Grand Canyon PCGS MS 69 DMPL that came from MTB though. So the spigot hasn't stopped.

All my SP versions came back in 68s. image
  • Options

<< <i>There could be hairline scratches that are causing these DMPLs and PLs to grade lower. My Yosemite came back a PCGS MS 63 PL. It had no obvious marks on the coin at all. I did get a Grand Canyon PCGS MS 69 DMPL that came from MTB though. So the spigot hasn't stopped.

All my SP versions came back in 68s. image >>

That GC 69 must be spectacular in light of the 'new' PCGS grading standards. Thats a version 3 MS 69 given PCGS started out grading easily with lots of ms69s but no DM or PL, then they switched to offering the DMPL along with the high grades then they switched to very critical grading giving lots of low grades. Not sure how anyone could buy an ATB MS69 in good faith as all depends on when the coin was graded, ie an MS69 is not an MS69 is not an MS69.
  • Options
    Just visited Modern Coin Mart's website. Since I am a Civil War nut, decided to buy Gettysburg. Got a great deal on Gettysburg NGC MS69DPL early release for $349. Could have had a Gettysburg PCGS MS69DMPL for $299, but think NGC is the better way to go with these. Saved $100 on the previous price.
    The only one I want now is Vicksburg, and I will wait for MCM.
  • Options

Why would you think NGC is a better way to go?

I always prefer PCGS and most others do also.
  • Options
    I always go with PCGS, but with these I believe the grading is more consistent. I also like the capsule for the two coins that I really want: Gettysburg and Vicksburg. It really was interesting that NGC was more expensive than PCGS.
  • Options
    Douple post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file