Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sell Out Prediction for Buchanan's Liberty???

Comments

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It appears that the USM will be filling BO of Buchanan MS Spousal Gold coins beginning on 10/23/10. Proofs may simply sellout eventually. Hopefully before next summer . >>

10/23/10 is a rolling date, it's been moving forward on the Mint's website one day at a time for nearly 3 weeks now. Check tomorrow and see if it shows 10/24. >>

I have an order in for two MS Buck's and the date is now 10/25, as it is withe the AGE Uno Ouncer.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Goldbully,
    The first was for MS and second was for PR
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldbully,
    The first was for MS and second was for PR >>

Thanks Puritan for pointing out the error in my ways!!!! image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell Our Predictions of Buchanan MS & PF Gold Spousal Coins: ANY Updated Predictions? Thanks for your thoughts !! >>

continuing prediction: no sell out, no short strike
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO < 7000 proofs, short struck, key to the proof liberty subset.

the guy selling PR70DCAM's on ebay for 1080-1100 is gonna be real sorry he didnt hold.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, debating whether to pick up some of these 70's as well as some MS70FS. Just not clear (of course by the time it is it's too late....).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    They made a mistake on one of my returns. I wanted a refund but they are trying to send me a replacement and it says the proofs are backordered to Oct. 26. Don't know if this means anything. I may just leave the order as is to see what happens.

After two weeks of calling about 5 times I got a rep who knew what she was doing and will finally get my other 3 Buch Proofs that I sent back for replacements. Next time I will insist on talking to a supervisor.

• << <i>They made a mistake on one of my returns. I wanted a refund but they are trying to send me a replacement and it says the proofs are backordered to Oct. 26. Don't know if this means anything. I may just leave the order as is to see what happens.

After two weeks of calling about 5 times I got a rep who knew what she was doing and will finally get my other 3 Buch Proofs that I sent back for replacements. Next time I will insist on talking to a supervisor. >>

I sent back an UNC Buch for a refund, but I think they are also trying to send me a replacement because today I received a backorder email from the Mint.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

<< <i>IMO < 7000 proofs, short struck, key to the proof liberty subset.

the guy selling PR70DCAM's on ebay for 1080-1100 is gonna be real sorry he didnt hold. >>

1080-1100 --> almost no profit after PCGS fees, shipping, ebay fees, paypal fees. ugh.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of buying a PCGS PF 70 FS for this amount. Since I am uncertain, I will get a PF 70 from what I submitted. It will take probably 30 days til I find out since I just sent them in last week for grading.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything wrong with this FS? >>

Wow, there's nothing right about it - label, numbering , look of the coin, etc!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    My first strikes are all indicated in GOLD print at the top of the slab NOT as an after thought and in the same color print in the middleimage Perhaps a slab error?image

Can anyone verify the serial number 18381118 ?
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first strikes are all indicated in GOLD print at the top of the slab NOT as an after thought and in the same color print in the middleimage Perhaps a slab error?image >>

Not necessarily, I've seen others like that. Also, the cert number is valid and the coin was only issued recently. My guess is that it's genuine.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• I just checked the coin certification.

COIN INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 18381118
    PCGS Coin #: 418382
    Date, mintmark: 2010-W
    Denomination: $10
    Variety: Buchanan's Liberty First Strike
    Grade: MS70
    Thanks for checking image I sent him an email and said I thought the slab looked funny and did he know when it had been graded? I will report back any info received.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    According to the numbers I have so far there have been 503 Buchanan MS70 FS and 363 PR70 FS with a few more weeks of grading to add to the numbers before it dwindles.

If people are buying FS 70 labels the Buchanans are very high, the Jackson only has 104 MS70 FS and 102 PR70 FS, all PCGS.
    If the Buchanan had been released in December instead of September these numbers would have been final, now we get higher regular numbers when the mint strikes more.

PS Even with this I also would not be selling 70 FS coins for under $1100, it is insane.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I returned two Buch's back on September 21 for replacement. They said fine and would ship two new ones on 10/08. The date kept moving up as you all know. By the way I posted this a while back. Anyway I received a cancellation email last week stating my order was canceled? I was like crap are they sold out, then I read this forum and seen there were error emails going out. I said i will just wait and see what happens. Today I received an email stating I still have the order and shipment date will be 10/26. I am getting a little frustrated with this back and forth crap. I would just cancel them if I wasn't saving the $100, due to the two price increases since then. image
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>According to the numbers I have so far there have been 503 Buchanan MS70 FS and 363 PR70 FS with a few more weeks of grading to add to the numbers before it dwindles.

If people are buying FS 70 labels the Buchanans are very high, the Jackson only has 104 MS70 FS and 102 PR70 FS, all PCGS. >>

Yes and a Jackson MS70 First Strike recently fetched more than $3,000!

<< <i>

<< <i>According to the numbers I have so far there have been 503 Buchanan MS70 FS and 363 PR70 FS with a few more weeks of grading to add to the numbers before it dwindles.

If people are buying FS 70 labels the Buchanans are very high, the Jackson only has 104 MS70 FS and 102 PR70 FS, all PCGS. >>

Yes and a Jackson MS70 First Strike recently fetched more than $3,000! >>

WOW!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    What will PCGS MS 70/PF 70 First Strike Buchanan First Spousal gold coins sell for in a year assumming the USM has sold out and gold price is stable?
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>

Those mintage's on the Jackson's could go up over time. Depending on how many are still in the early dated sealed postal boxes and are still FS eligible.

Latest numbers for Buchanan's Liberty:

5,967 Proof
    3,925 Uncirculated

I got a response from the seller of the funny looking Buch. It looks like he may be legitimage

The coin was graded by PCGS within the month. You can verify the
    serial number by going to pcgs and typing it in. Please let me
    know if you have and further questions. Thanks, Joshua
  • So with approx. 6,000 PF Buchanan Spousal Gold coins sold as of 10/10/10, when do you predict the PF sellout ? Comments....
    Specialized Investments
  • Regarding these sales of Buchanan's Liberty; does the mint only report gross sales of the coins or do they net back in any returns? From what it sounds like, many have returned their coins due to quality issues.

<< <i>Regarding these sales of Buchanan's Liberty; does the mint only report gross sales of the coins or do they net back in any returns? From what it sounds like, many have returned their coins due to quality issues. >>

I think it is gross sales. In the past few years, the mintage numbers for numerous coins have been revised downward from the initial figures. For example, numbers for the uncirculated Van Buren's Liberty $10 First Spouse (which did *not* sell out early) were initially reported at 4,334 but were later revised down to 4,191.

• I recieved a Buchanan Proof Spousal gold coin and I must say that the obverse of the proof Liberty is fantastic !!
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>Latest numbers for Buchanan's Liberty:

5,967 Proof
    3,925 Uncirculated >>

What are the current lowest mintage spouse proof and uncs other than the Buchs? The Van Burens?
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Latest numbers for Buchanan's Liberty:

5,967 Proof
    3,925 Uncirculated >>

What are the current lowest mintage spouse proof and uncs other than the Buchs? The Van Burens? >>

Van Buren would be correct. I have 4191 and 7364 proof.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Those mintage's on the Jackson's could go up over time. Depending on how many are still in the early dated sealed postal boxes and are still FS eligible. >>

I doubt that it would change much but that brings to mind something I think PCGS should do and that is to place an absolute time limit on First Strike submissions, even in a closed box. This is so there can be some certainty on the populations at a reasonable point in time.
  • So if you had to choose between the proof and the unc version of the Buchanan which would it by and why? Right now I'm leaning unc and the mintage numbers look pretty favorable, but having a hard time choosing between them. Anyone who has them in hand care to comment or show some pictures that would help me decide?
    Based on Coinsponge's post (THANKS! Coinsponge) it appears almost certain that the Buch unc will end up with a higher mintage than the Van B. while the Proof is less certain at present.

I can tell you that the Proof is much better looking, but the unc is still quite nice.
    Another thing that is different between the classic 2 1/2 and this MS one is the finish of the fields.

Something still just doesn't "feel right" with this portrait and the classic one.

That said, I like the overall look of the proof over the MS, but that's just me.

<< <i>Based on Coinsponge's post (THANKS! Coinsponge) it appears almost certain that the Buch unc will end up with a higher mintage than the Van B. while the Proof is less certain at present.

I can tell you that the Proof is much better looking, but the unc is still quite nice. >>

No problem. I was assuming you were talking about the Liberty subset and if I am not mistaken I believe those numbers came from Eric. Of course the Julia Tyler is the lowest of all. I also like the proof a bit better but could see why someone would prefer the unc.
  • Well that's 3 votes for the proof and 0 for the unc. So I guess that's a pretty good indicator of the overall feel in the market. I've never seen either in person. I have the Jefferson set, but honestly always thought the unc looked better there. Each design is different though and lends itself better to one or the other.

I guess the Buch in proof is the way to go.

Thanks!!

<< <i>Well that's 3 votes for the proof and 0 for the unc. So I guess that's a pretty good indicator of the overall feel in the market. I've never seen either in person. I have the Jefferson set, but honestly always thought the unc looked better there. Each design is different though and lends itself better to one or the other.

I guess the Buch in proof is the way to go.

Thanks!! >>

Yeah, at current sales rates it looks like the ms will be beat by the Van Buren in 2 weeks but the proof will take 5 weeks assuming things progress the same way but that hardly ever happens and with gold doing crazy things lately who really knows.
  • Given the secondary coin market on Ebay where gold spouse coin prices range from spot upward depending on grade, etc, I can see the mint prices being a deterrent. I have seen some prices down below $800 for Buchanan's ungraded. Prices are in competition with the US Mint.
    It will be interesting to see the Ebay prices for both Buchanan Spousal gold coins when the USM sells out of each product. Just an idea ....
    Specialized Investments
    UNC still on backorder, but looks like interest is waning.image
    Remember the phrase " You snooze You Loose" !! Are the Buchanan PF and MS Spousal Liberty gold coins dead in the water due to a lack of interest ?? Comments...
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>UNC still on backorder, but looks like interest is waning.image >>

how are you gauging that?

board posts?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>UNC still on backorder, but looks like interest is waning.image >>

how are you gauging that?

board posts? >>

My guess, weekly sales figuresimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Buchanan is no longer an event. All now waiting for the hockey pucks, proof ASE, and Mary Lincoln spouse. Onwards to the next potential flip.....
    ----- kj

<< <i>Remember the phrase " You snooze You Loose" !! Are the Buchanan PF and MS Spousal Liberty gold coins dead in the water due to a lack of interest ?? Comments... >>

I think a lot of the problem is uncertainty . . .

How many uncs./proofs were initially struck?

Have they struck / will they strike any additional? If so, how many?

Do the sales figures include returns?

Why the backorder message with the rolling date for the uncs. on the Mint's website?

Also, it's likely that most board members that want them have already bought them.

By the way, the Mint's price is likely to go up this week.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, the Mint's price is likely to go up this week >>

Don't count your chickens yet - POG is plummeting right now, down over $30 to $1339. Even though the average price for the week may surpass $1350, the spot price trend may overrule and the Mint price will stay put...
    That is true.

Look at Criteria #3

The average is $1366.56, but the last fix was $1339.

CNBC is citing the Chinese rate increase as the reason for the huge jump in the dollar and fall in commodity prices.

I can see industrial commodity prices falling if the Chinese constrain the economy, but I think the dollar strengthening was more due to Timmy Geithner saying they don't want to devalue the dollar for an export advantage. Funny how QE2 would devalue it anyway. But a devaluation won't lead to economic prosperity, he says. What, then, will this QE2 lead to, Timmy?
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    Availability date for the uncirc's has been brought forward to 10/20. They did mint more. No suprise really.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file