Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sell Out Prediction for Buchanan's Liberty???

Comments

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    which of the four subset designs do you guys/gals like the best? Mine is the latest, because I collect the the Liberty $10 eagles from the early 1900's.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • "These are selling at a rate of 400 per week still. Let's taper that off to 250/week for the next 8 weeks and you have a bust on your hopefull proof key. If they are going back to the presses I think they will mint more than 2000 with 11 months to sell. I am predicting 9500 proof and 5500 unc on these."

True so far. I will be watching the sales report numbers for the next 2 weeks. If their sales rate falls off hard then we will have some idea of likely behavior.

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>which of the four subset designs do you guys/gals like the best? Mine is the latest, because I collect the the Liberty $10 eagles from the early 1900's. >>

This One. I think this representation of Liberty is the most attractive, to me.

imageimage

I hope not to offend the other variations.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>which of the four subset designs do you guys/gals like the best? Mine is the latest, because I collect the the Liberty $10 eagles from the early 1900's. >>

I think all four go together very nicely.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote is for "Buck."
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a guy come in yesterday wanting to know if we could sell him one cheaper than the Mint sells them..........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Had a guy come in yesterday wanting to know if we could sell him one cheaper than the Mint sells them.......... >>

And was your answer? Why would I want to.image
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the jackson the best. The obverse design is great but it has the best reverse by far.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the jackson the best. The obverse design is great but it has the best reverse by far. >>

My sentiments exactly!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    looking at my bronze medals i like Jackson's and Buchannan's
    the 13 stars add some pizzaz and Liberty on the cap and crown
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Question: I bought some Gold Spouse's 2nd hand in OGP. The capsules seem original, but they do not seat completely tight -- a small gap seems to remain.

When compressed, they seem to spring back to ~a fingernail-wide gap. Is this typical for the spouse capsules? I sent my original Buch's back to the mint -- have nothing to compare.

Just wondering if I got some after-market capsules with these... THANKS in advance. >>

In general they are a snug fit.

What year and release? (I can go test mine against yours, but give me a day or three to find them... plus I'm in the middle of something)

The 2007 had a different capsule than those from 2008-to-date. The 2007s look more like direct fit air tites.... the 2008 and later have a ridge on the top lens similar to what is found on all the capsules currently released for Commems, Buffs, AGEs, etc. >>

Ms. -- Sorry for the delayed response -- and thanks for offering an assist.

This is for the 2009 Spouses (Julia specifically). There is the ridge on the top (obverse) as suggested, but they simply will not close tightly.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

VanBuren - hands down, not even close!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>VanBuren - hands down, not even close! >>

The Van Buren would have looked much better if the design had included stars, like the Jackson and Buchanan did.

The vast majority of Liberty Seated coins had stars surrounding the central design.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Question: I bought some Gold Spouse's 2nd hand in OGP. The capsules seem original, but they do not seat completely tight -- a small gap seems to remain.

When compressed, they seem to spring back to ~a fingernail-wide gap. Is this typical for the spouse capsules? I sent my original Buch's back to the mint -- have nothing to compare.

Just wondering if I got some after-market capsules with these... THANKS in advance. >>

In general they are a snug fit.

What year and release? (I can go test mine against yours, but give me a day or three to find them... plus I'm in the middle of something)

The 2007 had a different capsule than those from 2008-to-date. The 2007s look more like direct fit air tites.... the 2008 and later have a ridge on the top lens similar to what is found on all the capsules currently released for Commems, Buffs, AGEs, etc. >>

Ms. -- Sorry for the delayed response -- and thanks for offering an assist.

This is for the 2009 Spouses (Julia specifically). There is the ridge on the top (obverse) as suggested, but they simply will not close tightly. >>

Generally, they don't mash fully shut.

Consider it a convenience when opening it in the future.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here come AGE Proof time and these potential lazy dogs are still available.

Get those CC's shined up and keep em' away from magnets!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're half way home to the next repricing. Unless gold tanks below $1300 next Monday or Tuesday, the average gold price over the last week will certainly bump the First Spouses up another $25...
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Van Buren would have looked much better if the design had included stars, like the Jackson and Buchanan did.

The vast majority of Liberty Seated coins had stars surrounding the central design. >>

yup yup

<< <i>

<< <i>

The vast majority of Liberty Seated coins had stars surrounding the central design. >>

yup yup
    image >>

But during the VanBuren administration I think there were quite a few more no stars examples circulating, right?
    << But during the VanBuren administration I think there were quite a few more no stars examples circulating, right? >>

Nope, a lot more "with stars" half dimes and dimes were struck between 1837 and 1840. And the number of 1840 Seated dollars (with stars) way outnumbered the "no stars" Gobrechts.

In addition, all the Seated quarters and halves of the period were of the "with stars" persuasion.

<< <i><< But during the VanBuren administration I think there were quite a few more no stars examples circulating, right? >>

Nope, a lot more "with stars" half dimes and dimes were struck between 1837 and 1840. And the number of 1840 Seated dollars (with stars) way outnumbered the "no stars" Gobrechts.

In addition, all the Seated quarters and halves of the period were of the "with stars" persuasion. >>

Thanks for the info image In looking at my Van Buren coin again along with the others, it sure would look nice with those stars image
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Suggestion: USM is striking more MS Buchanan Spousal Coins that are currently on back order and becomes one day later to ship each day but will sell out of their remaining inventory and returns of the Buchanan Proof gold coins and not strike anymore. Could the Buchanan Proof be the lower mintage coin of the two ?? Eric, what do you think ? Thanks, Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Suggestion: USM is striking more MS Buchanan Spousal Coins that are currently on back order and becomes one day later to ship each day but will sell out of their remaining inventory and returns of the Buchanan Proof gold coins and not strike anymore. Could the Buchanan Proof be the lower mintage coin of the two ?? Eric, what do you think ? Thanks, Mark. >>

I am not Eric so my opinion doesn't count but what the heck, I say no way. I think if they fire up the presses they do both in the traditional ratio.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    It will be interesting to see what the two final sales numbers end up being. IMO it will not take months and months to have a complete sellout of both Buchanan coins. Comments....
    Specialized Investments
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I had stated before that I wasn't going to buy the Buchanan because the reverse is so darn unappealing to me, but I bought the proof today to complete my liberty proof subset. I'm hoping these prove to be relatively low mintage, but I have no way to guage what the mint will do about further production runs. Now I'll start working on my uncirculated liberty subset....only have the Van Buren so far...
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if the mint does 5000 unc Buchanan and 8000 proof for the final numbers. They may not do 15,000 total based on that low unc sales last week and rising gold prices.
    Will all of the stories of so many people returning coins that don't meet the MS70 or PR70 standard, it wouldn't surprise me if the sales numbers actually decrease over the next few weeks.

By the way, I know there have been different mintage figures reported for the other Liberty coins depending on the source. So when and how do we find the real numbers??? I mean the other Liberties haven't been minted since 2008 and they haven't been for sale for over a year now. Shouldn't we know with certainty the final numbers by now?

• I know I returned the two uncirculated Buchanan coins that I received after they went red. They were someone else's rejects. Hope they don't send them out to someone else.

I just asked for a refund. I'm done.
  • Just wanted to mention that I placed an order after they went red, and to my surprise, I just checked the order status and It says in stock and reserved. So I decided to check my amex and sure enough they hit my card. I do hope however that they are not re-cycled coins, but unless they ran more they will be image
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    It only stands to reason that the Mint would use a last in, first out as a shipping method. Hence, the returns are on top of the heap. That's one of the reasons that I always order as fast as I can on the day they go on sale.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Make that sub 7,000 on the Buch Proof.

Half - you are in for a surprise.
  • 7over8,

Do you think they will strike more?
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    current sales on proofs point toward NO.

backordered status on unc's - anyone's game.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two Buch. Uncs shipped today. The Mint rep. said that they were doing inventory last week w/no orders shipped nor refunds processed. Looks like the Van Burens will rule.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    these are not even listed on the what's new page on the mint website. A sign that no more will be minted or just wishful thinking.
  • WOW. I finally get my grade back. I score a one of a kind, with population of only ONE! image

1 418395 2010-W $10 Buchanan's Liberty US PR66DC

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>WOW. I finally get my grade back. I score a one of a kind, with population of only ONE! image

image >>

You lost the lottery.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>WOW. I finally get my grade back. I score a one of a kind, with population of only ONE! image

image >>

Pics please!!image
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW. I finally get my grade back. I score a one of a kind, with population of only ONE! image
    1 418395 2010-W $10 Buchanan's Liberty US PR66DC image >>

That's a bummer. Did you examine the coin for flaws before submitting, or was it inside a sealed box? Are you willing to please report back to the forum on precisely why you think it was downgraded?
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I was not happy with a 68 and now that its back I dont see why it got that grade.
    I never took it out of the mint holder. Pic is on page 7.
    I will probably just keep it. I guess it dosent matter much value wise between 68 and 69.
    You can always order a new one, replace the one they send with the 68 and send it back as a defect for a refund. This is fair since they sent a defective coin.

That 66 should definitely be sent back while you can order now.

• << <i>

image >>

Pics please!!image >>

I will post a picture when I got it back.

I have examined the coins before sent it in. I returned a couple with obvious frost breaks back to the Mint.

I brought a PR70 from ebay and that one isn't that good. I thought those I sent in are better than the PR70 I brought.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
    Gold at $1337, price bump by the Mint tomorrow?

Crack out the 66. It will look better raw anyway.

3 proofs and 5 MS went to PCGS yesterday for FS.

The proof gold eagle sales should hurt sales of spouse gold coins.

3607 for the Buchs MS. Only some 100 were sold from last week and they are probably the recycled returns. Maybe because it was inventory week.

• << <i>The proof gold eagle sales should hurt sales of spouse gold coins. >>

Commeorative sales hurt 1936 proof walker sales in 1936 too.

<< <i>3607 for the Buchs MS. Only some 100 were sold from last week and they are probably the recycled returns. Maybe because it was inventory week. >>

Sales may exceed the actual number of coins minted. There have been numerous recent instances of this, including the downward revision of the 2008-W quarter-ounce burnished Gold Eagle mintage from 9200 to 8883. I notice the unc. Buchanan is still shown on backorder, with the rolling estimated shipping date now showing as October 20.

Assumming that the Buchanan Proof Spousal half oz. gold coin goes up in price from the USM to $829 tomorrow and a half Oz Proof AGE is offered alittle over $800 this Thursday; and, there are many more AGE collectors thank Spousal coin collectors; and, the stated minted (sales) of the AGE will far exceed the estd. mintage of Buchanan Proof coin...what would be your choice to buy for future appreciation? Comments...
    Specialized Investments
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking numbers sold for the AGE coins will be similar to last year, give or take... probably more

So, what do you think about that, and how do you think that would influence your buying decision of the 1/2 oz spouse over the 1/2oz AGE ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file