Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sell Out Prediction for Buchanan's Liberty???

RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK...I'm going to be out of town later this week for a long Labor Day weekend.

Does the group think I should take a laptop along to order the Buchanan Liberty as soon as it becomes available or will it take some time to sell out? And will that time be a few days or a few weeks?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying before I hit the road.image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15,000 mintage limit across both proof and ms

I predict no sell out
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    definite sellout
    figglehorn
  • Options
    no household ordering limits, btw.

it took a week for the proof platinums to sell 10,000 with 5 per household.

but I still say no sell out.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO, sellout within a week or less
    at anticipated demand.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO SELLOUT!!

I do not care for the reverse.
    I'd rather see the classic Lady Liberty Head on a one ounce AGE.
    This First Spouse series will never be a huge collectible IMHO.
    So many hags, too little Lady Liberties.
    Take your gold investment/collectible dollars and buy Saints, double eagles, quarter eagles, RYK old gold, etc.
  • Options
    Goldbully

No one cares about the reverse.

It's all about the obverse and closing the Liberty subset.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldbully

No one cares about the reverse.

It's all about the obverse and closing the Liberty subset. >>

I know, I know 7over8....I'm just stirrin' the pot!!!! image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think mintage limits in 8 months.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll buy the bronze, That bit of gold for 700+ is just a little bit to much for me.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessin' they'll be able to sell 15,000. It'll be interesting.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I believe there is no limit I think super fast sellout, 2-3 days max.
  • Options
    GoldBully -

Good - keep stirring,

I cant be the only one around here!!!!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the previous Liberty design sold out, then maybe this one will. They really messed up the obverse with all the additional text rendered in a totally inappropriate font for the design. It almost seems like they missed something:

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict subliminal ebay advertising in your future, messydesk.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance at a sellout.

I think that the only real appeal to buying this coin would be to those who intend to build the 4 coin (or 8 coin) Liberty gold sets. Based on the mintages of the Jackson and Van Buren coins less than 12,000 such sets are possible...

Jackson Unc @ 4754
    Jackson Proof @ 7806

Van Buren Unc @ 4334
    Van Buren Proof @ 7515

A mintage cap of 15,000 is more than enough to fill the need of anyone who will attempt the Liberty sub-set and I can't imagine too many others who will demand this coin on it's own. I'll probably order right away to avoid getting some of the reject coins returned by the greedy flippers going for 70s, but I expect to be able to buy these next summer if I want to.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No order limits.

One order could corner this coin. Think about it.

Fast sellout.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Price of gold is close to crossing 1250, if that happens then some people might wait on the purchase.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh oh...this could get ugly...I might have to dig deep and my wife might have to kill me when the credit card bill arrives.

I'm getting seriously tempted to buy a couple (few?) extra and flip them at the Philly show in a few weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>Price of gold is close to crossing 1250, if that happens then some people might wait on the purchase. >>

Interesting....

here is the London Gold Fix Data

edited

Right now the average is "Same As Current Range." Looking at the chart, if the average is "same as current range" then for both mentions on the charts for that situation, there will be no change no matter what the Wed. PM Fix does.

Here's to hoping the Wed AM fix is a small number that doesn't pull up the average.

mint's pricing grid

determination: buy early buy often.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I am buying 2 but don't think they have any upside.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am buying 2 but don't think they have any upside. >>

That is what I say every time I buy a proof set. At least with these if gold goes higher you have a winner. Of course it could go the other way also but right now the trend is your friend.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I missed out on the Jackson and Van Buren in 08 (too many offerings in 08 and not enough funds) but have the funds to buy this last one.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Buy first ask questions later. You can cancel, you can return it.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellout but over a couple of weeks.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Over the years, I've learned to trust Eric's feel of what the mint is going to do. Add in the fact that there are NO order limits...this feels just like the Washington FDC, but at a 50x entry ticket. I'm in, split 60/40 between proof and unc. Really, at $750 per it's only a $125 premium over the gold value. So the "at risk" is $125 per, with an short term upside of several multiples of that...passes my risk/reward screen with flying colors!

FloridaBill
  • Options

<< <i>If the previous Liberty design sold out, then maybe this one will. They really messed up the obverse with all the additional text rendered in a totally inappropriate font for the design. It almost seems like they missed something:

image >>

But its Rare l@@k! right above liberty's head
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that on MCM's home page, they are offering NGC 70 & 69 grades of Buchanan Liberty MS & PF as Pre-Sale items at stated prices. Will that indicate what the big buyers think that they are worth ?? Comments.....
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the previous Liberty design sold out, then maybe this one will. They really messed up the obverse with all the additional text rendered in a totally inappropriate font for the design. It almost seems like they missed something:

image >>

But its Rare l@@k! right above liberty's head >>

6 points for whomever hacks the mint's website and switches the pics. image
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed that on MCM's home page, they are offering NGC 70 & 69 grades of Buchanan Liberty MS & PF as Pre-Sale items at stated prices. Will that indicate what the big buyers think that they are worth ?? Comments..... >>

HiLo - as usual for MCM pre-sales, the price is meaningless. No 'dis to MCM, I like them, but the pre-sale option only gives them a potential buyer contact when the coins land in their hands.

If these are a winner (I'm a believer), those prices will quite different in a few weeks. I bet George will be trolling for buys on the BST too...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed that on MCM's home page, they are offering NGC 70 & 69 grades of Buchanan Liberty MS & PF as Pre-Sale items at stated prices. Will that indicate what the big buyers think that they are worth ?? Comments..... >>

There out of stock, so I would think so for now.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    At the announced 15,000 maximum, the first buyer can get all of them for about $11 miilion 600 thousand. That's small change for people like Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and hundreds of corporate and bank executives who arranged to give themselves obscene bonuses. Now suppose you have your big bank bonus, where are you going to stash the extra loot after you buy everything you wanted, in risky funds and stocks? Why not just buy out a gold coin issue and corner the market?
  • Options
    That's the premise that has been suggested. Also why some think this will sellout quickly.

Of course, the Mint could impose purchase limits when the time comes. That would certainly delay a sellout -- temporarily.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

HiLo - as usual for MCM pre-sales, the price is meaningless. No 'dis to MCM, I like them, but the pre-sale option only gives them a potential buyer contact when the coins land in their hands.

If these are a winner (I'm a believer), those prices will quite different in a few weeks. I bet George will be trolling for buys on the BST too... >>

The prices aren't meaningless, but you are correct they are not firm or binding and we state that. They represent what we think we will be selling them for and about 80% of the time we have hit the nail on the head, the other 20% we tweak it higher or lower. Yes, it does give us wiggle room and it is a way to contact those who want the coin after we have them on stock.

John (MCM CEO)

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

image[/]

I haven't paid much attention to the reverse. Is that young Buch bookkeeping with a mug of brew? Looks like a cask or keg in the forefront.
  • Options
    it's happy hour of the 1850's.

working at his desk.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Price of gold is close to crossing 1250, if that happens then some people might wait on the purchase. >>

Interesting....

here is the London Gold Fix Data

edited

Right now the average is "Same As Current Range." Looking at the chart, if the average is "same as current range" then for both mentions on the charts for that situation, there will be no change no matter what the Wed. PM Fix does.

Here's to hoping the Wed AM fix is a small number that doesn't pull up the average.

mint's pricing grid

determination: buy early buy often. >>

Oddly enough...

the London Wed. PM fix was under $1250. The average is under $1250.

I predict the price is going to stay because of this info(Criteria #1)... $779 & $766
  • Options

<< <i>it's happy hour of the 1850's.

working at his desk. >>

The reverse depicts President Buchanan as a young man working as a bookkeeper in his family’s small country store.

You know mom&pop stores have owner's taking a bit of the inventory for themselves....

perhaps Ron Paul can ask for an ale audit....
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

A large buyer, with their own website, not ebay, doesn't have to have a large mark up to make money. Sell 500 coins with a $50 profit is $25,000.

• Options
    Another possible scenario to watch for is early sales of Buchanan Liberties. The 2010 one ounce platinum proof was scheduled to go on sale on August 12th, but the mint jumped the gun, and contrary to their stated rules allowed sales to begin the previous day, starting at about 2 PM in the afternoon. I've not seen any explanation for the day-early platinum sales, and wonder if it might happen again, since the mint has already shown itself prone to taking Liberties.
  • Options
    Mint's listed prices for the Buchanan Liberty Gold coin is PF $779/MS $766 + Postage. No, increase price for respective Spousal Gold this week.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that they'll eventually sell out...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>The prices aren't meaningless, but you are correct they are not firm or binding and we state that. They represent what we think we will be selling them for and about 80% of the time we have hit the nail on the head, the other 20% we tweak it higher or lower. Yes, it does give us wiggle room and it is a way to contact those who want the coin after we have them on stock.

John (MCM CEO) >>

Always nice to hear directly from the source! Thank you John for gracing the Forumoids with your presence.

I guess we'll see how this one pans out -- my guess is your price will be higher...
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Maben and Modern Coin Mart have an extremely fair pricing structure. I bought a 2009 Letitia Tyler NGC MS69 for just over issue price AFTER the sell out. I also bought a PR69DC Julia Tyler just over issue price. I have no connection to MCM and do not know John Maben personally. Just wanted to give the heads up on a good place to purchase your modern mint products.

I am excited about the Buchanan issue today and plan on buying two of each finish.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judged by the artistic merit of this piece....hopefully gold will skyrocket in value and most will end up thrown into the furnace. They will look much better as part of a kilo bar.
  • Options
    John Maben and Modern Coin Mart have always been more than fair to me. I would recommend them to anyone. A+++++
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order #3523###### :

2 Each Buchanan uncs
    2 each Buchanan proofs
  • Options
    Unlike with the Platinum 2010s, the mint did not begin sales of the Buchanans ahead of the stated day and time. With the price of gold hovering around the break point in the mint pricing grid, they might sell out in the first week if it appears there will be an increase of $50 per coin by next week.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Super fast in ordering these from the mint. Looks like no one is buying or not a mad rush to order these. I did two separate orders and there was only 253 orders between my two orders by 12:10 PM. All are in stock and reserved.
  • Options
    10 orders placed, first one at 12:01, order # 35237xxx
    tenth one at 12:10, order # 35238xxx

order number increased 568 from first to last

site was pretty fast

FloridaBill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file