Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sell Out Prediction for Buchanan's Liberty???

Comments

• ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    My experience is that the Buchanan Proofs are of poor quality with more problems than just frost breaks.

I ordered on the first day and got my two proofs. Unfortunately, the dings, nicks, and scratches were too noticeable and I returned them for replacement.
    After waiting a month and a half (due to inventory shut down and US Mint practices), I finally received the two replacements but these were worse than the ones
    that I had previously returned (were these returns from other collectors?). I just returned them for replacement again. Based upon some of the comments,
    I am wondering what the replacements will look like. Or, as some suggest, I might not get a replacement but a refund instead.

As some of the comments noted, I am wondering if others have had the same problems with the proofs and there have been a lot of returns. image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My experience is that the Buchanan Proofs are of poor quality with more problems than just frost breaks.

I ordered on the first day and got my two proofs. Unfortunately, the dings, nicks, and scratches were too noticeable and I returned them for replacement.
    After waiting a month and a half (due to inventory shut down and US Mint practices), I finally received the two replacements but these were worse than the ones
    that I had previously returned (were these returns from other collectors?). I just returned them for replacement again. Based upon some of the comments,
    I am wondering what the replacements will look like. Or, as some suggest, I might not get a replacement but a refund instead.

As some of the comments noted, I am wondering if others have had the same problems with the proofs and there have been a lot of returns. image >>

Ouch. The shipping costs with insurance must be eating the $$$$.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I'm beginning to think there really might have been a short stike. I think they were definitely preparing to do another run... but did they in fact do so, before the interest died? I see no clear signs that another run has been completed.... but then I do not see any clear sign that shows it has not take place either. Time to start buying some of the cheap ones on eBay? >>

I just don't know why they would cut off sales so soon with 5000 more to sell. If they log sales as only those shipped then we might see the sales figures be somewhat variable from week to week depending on how orders are processed.

• << <i>My UNC replacement is still backordered. I placed a new order yesterday and it is in stock and reserved. >>

Thanks for the update. So the Mint has new UNC stock, they just don't process the old exchange order for some reason.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Could it be the difference is price from when they first came out, and what they cost today? They get more money for the ones they sell at present.
  • Maybe the people that process replacements for returns are not the same as those that accept new orders. I'm sure the replacements will be sent. If not, the Mint are a bunch of -----bags.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the Mint that processes these, it is a gov't contractor, PBGS. And they all come out of 1 place.

and I would be calling and raising HE11 if a replacement showed as backordered. I just put one of each in my cart and both showed "In Stock."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Will the prices of the Bucks go up by the USM if the Londonj Gold Fix stays above $1,350.00 thru tomorrow, Wednesday ? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    well overdate, i guess that may not be the case any longer.

<< <i>Will the prices of the Bucks go up by the USM if the London Gold Fix stays above $1,350.00 thru tomorrow, Wednesday ? Thanks. >>

Not necessarily.

4 out of 5 pricing days gone.

The average so far is $1346.06

To give everyone an idea what the fixes for tomorrow would need to be to see a price increase:
    Both the Wed am and Wed pm fixes would need to be 1365.75 & 1365.75 ((1350 * 10 fixes - 10768.50(8 fixes sum)) / 2 )

It's possible for it to increase, but my bets are on no price increase.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be the difference is price from when they first came out, and what they cost today? They get more money for the ones they sell at present. >>

I don't think so, I just received my Proof about a week ago from one I exchanged for when the price was $75 lower in Sept.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Buchanan's Liberty Proof (2010) ..... 6,108 ..... 34
    Buchanan's Liberty Uncirculated (2010) ..... 3,992 ..... 27
  • I received the UNC I ordered the other day. If there are any flaws on it, I can't see them with my naked eyes, so I am pretty sure it is not a coin that someone else rejected. My return replacement is still on back order.
    It may have been returned for other reasons like the price of gold dropping. Just a posibility.

<< <i>It may have been returned for other reasons like the price of gold dropping. Just a posibility. >>

I don't think gold has dropped enough to change the price of these since sept, it has been on the rise.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Many people are concerned/convinced that the coins currently for sale are damaged returns. My experience indicates otherwise. I don't care if I received a coin that was returned by someone for other reasons.
    3,992 Unc.
    6,108 Proof

10,100 total

up 61 from:
    3,965 Unc.
    6,074 Proof
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price for the Buchanan's Lib on the Mint's website could jump 2 increments later this week if gold stays above $1400.

That would be $50 more per coin.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

they use the range indicated by the weekly average.

here is a cut-n-paste:
    Change – Use
    Range of
    Weekly
    Average
    The way I read the mint price increase schedule is if weekly gold is up 1 increment and the spot price is up two increments then they only boost the price 1 increment based on the weekly average.
  • My original UNC return is now in stock and reserved with the cancel box gone.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The Buchanan Proof Coin is now in 'RED" on the USM web site.... as of Tuesday AM, 11/9/10 !! Very Interesting !!
    Specialized Investments
  • This may be bad news we need the coin to stay black into Dec.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    I think the gold being at $1420 today is playing a factor in this also. The 4 coin AGE Proof Set may go red before the price increase on Wednesday.
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I think we have all seen this movie before. This is terrible news. Mint has blanks and time. No doubt in my mind that if they are in fact sold out now, the mint will go ahead and strike a few thousand more. Of course I could be wrong, but it looks like this coin is going to have a higher mintage than the Van Buren or Jackson. image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    I think the Buchs are being priced out of collectors affordablitity range. Probably the dealers will be buying these if gold hits $1500.
    << Of course I could be wrong, but it looks like this coin is going to be the highest minted of the liberty series. >>

The Jefferson is higher, but who knows how many of those have been melted.

Barring some sharp downturn in gold, we'll have a price increase tomorrow in all gold.

The price will depend upon the average. Right now, the average is 1388.07, that would place it in the range of 1 level up.
    Overdate:

I love your sigline picture.

What dates did you use for that?

===================================

The average with 8/10 fixes done is $1392.19

They jump the price to the range indicated by the average. So, that's 1 level up right now, barring some sharp decline in gold. If the fixes tomorrow are both $1431.25 or both add to $2862.50, then we will jump by 2 levels

<< <i>Overdate:

I love your sigline picture.

What dates did you use for that? >>

Thanks, it's a 1964-D dime on the left and random dimes from pocket change on the right.

say hello to a short struck proof.
  • Short Struck ?
  • Maybe I showing my lack of knowlegde but, if the PF Bucks had beed short struck, does that mean that more will be minted or that a sellout is at hand ? Comments....
    Specialized Investments
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Logic tells me that the Mint wouldn't strike more proofs after the sales number reported the past two weeks. However, past Mint actions tells me they aren't very logical.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    short struck -- striking fewer than the max. mintage stated.

My take: no way. they keep these things on sale for a long time (about a year). If they go on backorder, they'll just mint more, imo. People were calling the Unc. short struck, and now those are on sale and in stock.
    I love the naysayers........you helped produce a short struck key to the proof liberty subset.

Forget about more being struck. The last few weeks of horrible sales and returns of sub standard proofs have sealed the deal.

A thank you is well deserved.

Got Buch Proofs?
    which one is the short struck key?
  • Sorry but I don't see anything about that coin that I want.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
    I thought my post was clear?
    I like explicit clarity
  • As of November 7th:

Product--------------------------------Sales----------Change
    Buchanan’s Liberty Proof (2010)-------- 6,158------------50
    Buchanan’s Liberty Uncirculated (2010)--3,992------------ 0

Looks like the Proofs are currently cleaned out and no sales for the Unc, as this change represents a drop from the previous week overall. Curious that there were no sales of the Unc. I'm still hoping for a short strike.

http://news.coinupdate.com/us-mint-sales-proof-gold-eagles-after-one-month-0526/
  • Both Bucks just when up in price on the USM website. I wish someone at the USM would tell us if they are minting more PFs or are simply selling down to a sellout. Comments....
    Specialized Investments
    these will not be short struck.

they will sell to the beginning of the Lucy Hayes release next year or untill 15,000 are sold, whichever comes first.

Speculation of a short strike is just talk.

I agree these are not short struck, some said they will strike more once the initial amount is sold out and that appears to have happened. Definitely N O T short struck anymore.

Some even guessed a complete sellout the first week? That was not even close as they appear to be selling them well into next year.

If the coin had come out in December instead of September we could have had a real short strike, but that is all a pipe dream now.

PS Even with the added sales the initial coins were still a no brainer to buy, sales have dried up but once they go off sale next year then the real value should start to appear for the 4 coin set.
    the naysayers are at it again.

good luck guys. i've said my piece.

stick a fork in it. proofs are done.

• << <i>the naysayers are at it again.

stick a fork in it. proofs are done. >>

I'm with 7over8. He proved himself in 2008 over a literal tsunami of naysayers, and many of us profited handsomely who listened to him.

(even us lurkers)

• << <i>

<< <i>the naysayers are at it again.

stick a fork in it. proofs are done. >>

I'm with 7over8. He proved himself in 2008 over a literal tsunami of naysayers, and many of us profited handsomely who listened to him.

(even us lurkers) >>

Thirded.
    I finally received my replacement UNC Buch from Sept, it is absolutely flawless I am amazed. It is a MS 70 all day long. Anyone else get there replacement on the UNC from a return in Mid Sept, if so how is the condition?

• I find it better chance to get MS70 than PF 70. A lot of proofs have too many "frost break".

Do anyone know how long does it take to get a refund? This is the third week and I am still waiting.

<< <i>I find it better chance to get MS70 than PF 70. A lot of proofs have too many "frost break".

Do anyone know how long does it take to get a refund? This is the third week and I am still waiting. >>

That's too long for your standard refund. If you didn't request a replacement then change to a refund, then call tomorrow during ~9-4pm and ask for your refund to be processed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file