Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sell Out Prediction for Buchanan's Liberty???

Comments

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    They must have struck a new batch of UNC Buchanan and now are going to strike more proofs.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buchanan Proof 6,318 +160
    Buchanan Uncirculated 4,069 +77

Link

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Thank you for your suggestion. I called them yesterday. I sent back a few boxes ( two separate orders) and apparently confused them (per operator). Now, they are trying to sort it out. I was worried since Fed Ex did not allow me to buy insurance (max $1000).
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for your suggestion. I called them yesterday. I sent back a few boxes ( two separate orders) and apparently confused them (per operator). Now, they are trying to sort it out. I was worried since Fed Ex did not allow me to buy insurance (max $1000). >>

Make certain you keep after them. I returned some items about two years ago and they acknowledged receiving them, but never issued a refund because they lost track of them in-house. I finally had to get my credit card to reverse the charges and then months later the US Mint gave me another full credit. At that point I had to allow the credit card to refund the US Mint for their extra refund and the US Mint acknowledged that we were square. However, months later I received a letter from the US Treasury Department telling me I owed them the money and that they would make my life miserable until I paid them. Again, they admitted we were square, but they didn't know where the money went in-house. I had to finally show them all the paperwork and receipts before they dropped the claim. Unfortunately, when I sent two items back earlier this year my refund was held up for two months until someone there figured out that there was still a hold on my account for all refunds and that the hold should have been removed two years ago. The place is a mess.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I had trouble with my return. Keep all paperwork is my advice. You'll need it at least twice.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Buchanan’s Liberty Proof (2010)-------- 6,158------------50
    Buchanan’s Liberty Uncirculated (2010)--3,992------------ 0>>

the naysayers are at it again.

good luck guys. i've said my piece.

stick a fork in it. proofs are done.

<<Buchanan Proof 6,318 +160
    Buchanan Uncirculated 4,069 +77>>

Ok, either they are done or they are not done. Comments? Explanations?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the naysayers are at it again.

good luck guys. i've said my piece.

stick a fork in it. proofs are done. >>

Well you can't be correct 100% all the times & this time your crystal ball has failed you. Proofs are not done & will be available for some time or when the combined total 15,000 coins is reached.

I'm surprised that the Mint did not reprice their Gold coins today.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Buchanan Proof 6,372 +54

Buchanan Uncirculated 4,085 +16

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure glad I didn't jump on this Buc Wagon and instead keep my powder (CC) dry for upcoming offerings.

That is some super slooooowwwwwwww sales.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can pick up a 70 cheap on eBay.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Sure glad I didn't jump on this Buc Wagon and instead keep my powder (CC) dry for upcoming offerings.

That is some super slooooowwwwwwww sales.

Miles >>

Likewise ... waiting for the ... Hockey Pucks to become available...image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    OPA

you will regret not owning some Buch Proofs.....

stick a fork in them, they are done.

• << <i>OPA

stick a fork in them, they are done. >>

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is in fact true. I think that the mint is too swamped with other endeavors to be striking more of these. These are short struck.
  • I returned a few proofs about 3-4 weeks ago. It is back ordered and expect to ship on 12/7/10. I hope they do not cancel it.
    7/8 I notice lately whenever you post that MMR posts a few minutes after you to agree with you. Try being less obvious with the alts, Lol.

<< <i>OPA

stick a fork in them, they are done. >>

I stuck a fork in them and it indicated "not done -- needs more cooking"image

If I wanted a FS 70 proof, which I don't, ( I never liked that design ) I can pick one up on eBay for approx $200-$250 over current Mint issue price.
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I think the mint doesn't even know if they are done these yet. They have the planchets. I would think they can mint 2,000 more coins in a day. I think the celebration has started way too early for any of you who think this coin is done.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you can pick up a 70 cheap on eBay. >>

I don't know why it even matters if these are short struck. You can pick up First Strike PCGS PR69's for less than Mint prices currently. Looks pretty obvious that those who wanted these bought them. The flippers are taking losses. Why the heated debate? Maybe in 20 years these will be a good investment looking back? Looks like a pure Bullion play to me and also in the secondary market. Dunnoimage
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why it even matters if these are short struck. You can pick up First Strike PCGS PR69's for less than Mint prices currently. Looks pretty obvious that those who wanted these bought them. The flippers are taking losses. Why the heated debate? Maybe in 20 years these will be a good investment looking back? Looks like a pure Bullion play to me and also in the secondary market. >>

Wait until they officially go dark. The above could have been said about the Jacksons and MVBs, too, and look what they're doing now. I hope that sales continue to wane. For those of us with a longer term perspective, a quiet "turn out the lights" sometime next year would be the best thing. We don't want a surge late this year to give the mint reason to strike more. Patience, grasshoppers...
    Latest Mint figures

Buchanan’s Liberty Proof (2010) 6,372 ........ 54
    Buchanan’s Liberty Uncirculated (2010) 4,085............ 16

wow...a combined total of 70 sold in one week...image
    Half -

MMR must be an intelligent guy.......but he's not me.

I'm not afraid to post anything under my own tag. Are you? You seem to be speaking from experience with those types of things.

So - amuse me a little while.......have those 08-W Buff's gone straight up? Hmmm. Seems like the call at the peak was correct....maybe they will peak again in another 3-5 years.....image
  • Thanks for the kind words 7over8. image

The fact is half, 7over8 has been right in his predictions more than he has been wrong. Similarly, some like to follow Jim Cramer for investing advice, but I prefer to follow Jim Sinclair.

• << <i>Thanks for the kind words 7over8. image

The fact is half, 7over8 has been right in his predictions more than he has been wrong. Similarly, some like to follow Jim Cramer for investing advice, but I prefer to follow Jim Sinclair. >>

Would that be the same Jim Sinclair who wagered that gold would reach $1650 before the second week of Jan 2011? He's running out of time. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the kind words 7over8. image

The fact is half, 7over8 has been right in his predictions more than he has been wrong. Similarly, some like to follow Jim Cramer for investing advice, but I prefer to follow Jim Sinclair. >>

Would that be the same Jim Sinclair who wagered that gold would reach $1650 before the second week of Jan 2011? He's running out of time. image >>

I'll see you the 2nd week of January, and we will see then what predictions were correct. Until then the fat lady hasn't yet sung.

I don't know but MMR appears in the next post yet again to agree with you 7/8, it sure looks fishy. It also smells fishy, Lol.

I can't see how anyone could agree that you were right about the Buchanan selling out in the first week. It is now months later and no sell out, and they have struck more coins.

On the gold buffalo coins you must be joking right? You said to sell those and the proof plats just a couple weeks after they went off sale on the mint website back in early 2009. They had barely moved at that point but after you said to sell that was when the real appreciation started.

Anyway maybe your alty friend MMR can pump you up and keep you thinking you were right all along, it is all in fun anyway. But try to be a little less obvious about it, Lol.

• << <i>I returned a few proofs about 3-4 weeks ago. It is back ordered and expect to ship on 12/7/10. I hope they do not cancel it. >>

2010 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin – Buchanan’s Liberty (X66)
    Price: $854.00 Qty.
    Product will be available for shipping 12/12/2010

They keep pushing them off, like we have seen them do in the past. If I were a betting man, I would say these are done...
    Half -

No one, I mean no one (except an idiot) can doubt that the 08-w Buffalo's have come waaaayy off their peaks of earlier this year. They are STALE for now. Try and sell them for the numbers of 6 months ago - good luck.

We have seen this many times, and those with cluched fists hold on for the absolute top are often disappointed.

As you have taken my posts out of context many times before, you will once again. I dont doubt that for one minute.

But the record shows who was correct about 08-W Plat Unc mintages. You were wrong.

I am not afraid to speak my mind under my one and only tag, 7/8.

I happen to think you might be the resurrection of our old friend who was often wrong on his calls as well - FloridaBuffaloHunter.

So, how's the weather down there in Florida these days - Half?
    7/8 I don't have an alt here, sorry.

Anyway you can remember what you wish, if you think you were right then I will let you believe that. I guess you think you were right about the Buchanan coins selling out in the first week too?

Here is the thing, it is easy to be on the sidelines and tell people what they should do. How many times did you say to sell the gold buffalo coins? You said the 1/4's were overpriced to start, then at $900 to sell, then they went higher up to $2000. Etc, etc.

The real advice is to say what to buy and when to buy, and that is the point you are missing.

The 08 plat uncs sold for months near mint issue or at a loss while the other coins went up and up, that is what happened. It took almost a year for the mint to say what the real mintages were. Meanwhile the gold buffalo coins had already taken off long before that. So were you right?image

I am not saying you have always been wrong, it is also about timing as you well know. Timing is everything and the time it took for the plat unc mintages to come out made it the wrong call.

In 50 years others will see who was right in the very long term of things, as both could do very well. Maybe we are fighting over spilled milk and none of this really matters. But I'm very happy with what I purchased, and I always love reading how I was so wrong about buying the gold buffalo coins.image

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Half -

No one, I mean no one (except an idiot) can doubt that the 08-w Buffalo's have come waaaayy off their peaks of earlier this year. They are STALE for now. Try and sell them for the numbers of 6 months ago - good luck.

We have seen this many times, and those with cluched fists hold on for the absolute top are often disappointed.

As you have taken my posts out of context many times before, you will once again. I dont doubt that for one minute.

But the record shows who was correct about 08-W Plat Unc mintages. You were wrong.

I am not afraid to speak my mind under my one and only tag, 7/8.

I happen to think you might be the resurrection of our old friend who was often wrong on his calls as well - FloridaBuffaloHunter.

So, how's the weather down there in Florida these days - Half? >>

It would seem that a lot of things have been "stale" lately so why pick on the Buffs. What I really want to know though is how many angels can dance on the head of a california fractional 7/8.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if I had to sell them today, I'd be quite happy with the financial performance of the 2008-W Gold Buffs. Same goes for the the burnished 2008-W AGEs, the 2008-W Plats, both flavors, and the burnished 2007-W AGEs, and the burnished 2006-W AGEs & Plats, and the VanBurens & Jacksons, both flavors.

I can only imagine that I'll be glad 5 years from now in retrospect, if I haven't sold many of them.

I do understand quite well the flipping mentality in that you must keep the cash moving in order to capitalize on the next issue - but there is also another approach which is quite valid and which ericj has documented in his thread and in his book.

Buy the low mintage keys. Hold them. Watch them appreciate. Sell them as need be. Turnover generates both bookkeeping entries and tax liability. Keeping them as a longterm investment doesn't lose you anything if the coins increase by 250% and then drop back 25% after the peak. Rarity matters.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Exactly jmski52 - RARITY. BUY and HOLD RARITY. The only difference in strategy between us is when certain coins perceived as rare hyperinflate, take your money off the table. You can repurchase them later if need be. This has happened MANY times with modern issues.

I never said the Gold Buff's were a BAD buy, just that when "hyperinflation" in prices came, it was time to EXIT all but the rarest. The warning was about the BUBBLE forming. Dealer pricing at shows showed increased availability and at prices hundreds of dollars below ebay retail pricing. The BUBBLE did BURST, as indicated by the "sea of red" on ebay where auctions fail to get bids. There are still very good coins to hold in the Gold Buffalo's - namely the low mintage key $50 Unc and the always popular $10 Unc-at the right PRICE. IMO-That's it.

This is a fantastic place to voice our opinions about many modern issues and I believe many have benefitted over the years. No one has a crystal ball, but when popularity, pricing and RARITY are introduced into the decision we sometimes come up with winners. The timing may be a little off, but the fundamentals are still intact. So, if you wait a few months rather than a few weeks for a winner, so be it.

That said, I know there will be a post from Halfstrike immediately following this that pulls out the price performance of a coin that indicates the opposite of what I have just posted. I've come to expect it.

So - FLBuffaloHunter now renamed HalfStrike. I think i'll just call you Hunter. I always wondered where the Hunter went????

I'm still the one and only 7/8. No other M-O. Period. No talk here about angels on pinheads or Calif Fractionals. Just good old fashioned coin talk. You have to go elsewhere for that............

• They kept pushing back the delivery date for my proofs. I returned for an exchange about 4-5 weeks ago. Has anyone has the same experience?
  • I ordered 4 more emmediately after they went back ordered. I am cought in eternal rolling two weeks backorder status.
  • Is there any doubt that more Buck PF gold coins are being minted to demand? This takes into question whether their final sales figures will be low or high compared to other Liberty Spousal gold coins already unavailable.
    Specialized Investments

• << <i>Is there any doubt that more Buck PF gold coins are being minted to demand? This takes into question whether their final sales figures will be low or high compared to other Liberty Spousal gold coins already unavailable. >>

That is the Million dollar question. It will be interesting to see...
    Was there an update for sales of the Mint's numismatic products (including Buchanans) this week? The latest I've seen is the report for Nov. 22.

The proofs are no longer on back order....

Price: $854.00
    Enter Quantity
    Product will be available for shipping 12/03/2010

I suspect 7over8 may have to clean his crystal ball on his call. image

• << <i>Was there an update for sales of the Mint's numismatic products (including Buchanans) this week? The latest I've seen is the report for Nov. 22. >>

I was also wondering why no one releases the sales report this week ?? I really would like to know the final sales figure of Margaret Taylor Proof.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

<< <i>

<< <i>Was there an update for sales of the Mint's numismatic products (including Buchanans) this week? The latest I've seen is the report for Nov. 22. >>

I was also wondering why no one releases the sales report this week ?? I really would like to know the final sales figure of Margaret Taylor Proof. >>

Mint News Blog is reporting that the Mint has delayed this week's report due to "challenges" in obtaining the information. image

The mint seems to have struck more Buchanan Proof coins.image

<< <i>The mint seems to have struck more Buchanan Proof coins.image >>

should that be a surprise to anyone? They allowed for 15,000 total to be produced, then why would they have stopped at 10,000?
    As of Dec. 7:

Buchanan Uncirculated 4,142
    Buchanan Proof 6,494

Moving up.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG, this hasn't sold out yet???? What???? Well surely the Lincoln coin is close to selling out by now, right???? imageimage
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sitting here across from The Mint kiosk at Union Station waiting to attend a business meeting. There is a Buch proof sitting in the case for sale w/more available. I asked him when they went back in stock. He said they were never out of stock.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>I'm sitting here across from The Mint kiosk at Union Station waiting to attend a business meeting. There is a Buch proof sitting in the case for sale w/more available. I asked him when they went back in stock. He said they were never out of stock. >>

Ask him about the Lincoln First Spouse.

They sold a bunch over the weekend and ran out of the Proofs and all but 1 of the uncirc.

PS Their stock and the online stock are two different things.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I wonder why my exchange are still back ordered then. (expected delivery date 12/23/10). If I place a new order, I have to pay a higher price.
    their inventory is separate from the online inventory.

union station has only 1 lincoln first souse: an uncirculated.

online they are readily available.

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>their inventory is separate from the online inventory.
    union station has only 1 lincoln first spouse: an uncirculated.
    online they are readily available. >>

When buying in person directly from a mint sales outlet, are you allowed to carefully examine any prospective purchases with your 10X magnifying glass?
    I don't think they'd allow that as you'd take too much time from other duties and customers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file