Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

Congratulations!

Thanks! If FedEx doesn't drop the ball, should have both today.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Now in hand... looks great (despite my crummy pictures)!

Outstanding example! that strike is phenomenal!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FistFullOfDollars said:
    Technically not a coin but more of a bar, picked this up many years ago.

Wow, I remember that bank "Banco de Londres y Mexico", talking about the year 1973 if I recall right, many mooons ago.

• Options

@ELuis said:
    Wow, I remember that bank "Banco de Londres y Mexico", talking about the year 1973 if I recall right, many mooons ago.

I am not sure exactly but here is some info I had regarding the bar.

Presenting a Silver Medal which commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the Banco de Londres Mexico y Sud America in 1864. The medal displays an image of the first Mexican 100 Peso Bank Note which was issued by the Banco de Londres y Mexico S.A. in 1872.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 4:19PM

@FistFullOfDollars said:

@ELuis said:

I am not sure exactly but here is some info I had regarding the bar.

Presenting a Silver Medal which commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the Banco de Londres Mexico y Sud America in 1864. The medal displays an image of the first Mexican 100 Peso Bank Note which was issued by the Banco de Londres y Mexico S.A. in 1872.

I went at least twice, to one of the branches.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    It's funny how this happens in collecting and another highlight of the fact that there are a lot of collections out there in the raw. After all the commotion caused by the exceptional price realized for the 1772-MF in the latest Stacks sale, Just made a deal for these two well-matched beauties from an long time collector. Both will become part of my core collection that will, hopefully, not see the auction block for many decades to come. Incredibly excited to get these 2 finally in-hand.

Interesting matching patina -- I await the truview images after you cross to PCGS

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    From @pruebas and recently crossed as a 66 ;)

wowee I love that coin !

Pruebas why don't you offer me some coins too.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

wowee I love that coin !

Dan, that’s the Cape Coral coin and you were the underbidder. You dropped out too soon (though I was prepared to go higher)!

• Options

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

wowee I love that coin !

Dan, that’s the Cape Coral coin and you were the underbidder. You dropped out too soon (though I was prepared to go higher)!

Great coin

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 70 ✭✭

Congratulations Brian. I am curious to know what you are planning to do (if anything) with the NGC 66 sticker that PCGS returned to you.
    RSP

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSP said:
    Congratulations Brian. I am curious to know what you are planning to do (if anything) with the NGC 66 sticker that PCGS returned to you.
    RSP

I”LL send it in to NGC to keep the pops for the 66 grade as accurate as they were before

• Options

Brian, thanks for responding. I have a bunch of these myself because I have been afraid to send them in for fear of having them turn up "lost". Do you send them to any particular department or person? Ever have a problem? Thanks again. Steve

• Options

@RSP said:
    Brian, thanks for responding. I have a bunch of these myself because I have been afraid to send them in for fear of having them turn up "lost". Do you send them to any particular department or person? Ever have a problem? Thanks again. Steve

First take photos before you send in ....

• Options

@RSP said:

I’ve just sent them in an envelope. Never had an issue that I recall but keeping a photo just in case seems like a great idea.

• Options

Great idea! A photo of the pcgs slab with the the sticker on top of the slab just below the coin inspires me to give it a try. I appreciate the tip. I agree that it is a good idea to try to eliminate duplicates in the pop reports.

• Options
    threefiftythreefifty Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Wow! Is that a Chiloé peso? I had heard the past few that sold at auction were counterfeit... seems like Jara's book is about as rare as the coin too. Would love to hear more details on this coin!

• Options

@threefifty said:
    Wow! Is that a Chiloé peso? I had heard the past few that sold at auction were counterfeit... seems like Jara's book is about as rare as the coin too. Would love to hear more details on this coin!

Came from Jara. One of three authentic in his view. This the Medina plate and documented back to the 1890’s.

I’ll do a full write up tomorrow

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@threefifty said:

Came from Jara. One of three authentic in his view. This the Medina plate and documented back to the 1890’s.

I’ll do a full write up tomorrow

Here is a link to the article that the book is based on
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/522799?page=6

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read, thanks. I had never heard of this coin.

• Options

Well, if you were to add a historically significant and highly controversial piece due to proliferation of contemporary counterfeits to the collection - this is definitely the right way to go about it. Congrats Brian!

Also, you said

Is this not the 1818 illustrated by Medina? Is it the difference in documented weight (26.7g vs 22.1g)? Do you have a video or images of the hand-engraved edge, by chance?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Well, if you were to add a historically significant and highly controversial piece due to proliferation of contemporary counterfeits to the collection - this is definitely the right way to go about it. Congrats Brian!

Also, you said

Is this not the 1818 illustrated by Medina? Is it the difference in documented weight (26.7g vs 22.1g)? Do you have a video or images of the hand-engraved edge, by chance?

Posted a full write up.

The 1818 plated in Medina is 26.7 grams. That coin belonged to Santa Cruz.

Medinas personal 1822 was 22.1 grams. He used the Santa Cruz piece in Monedas Obsidionales de Chile because he had already sold his collection to Gonzalez.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    @Abuelo wanted to see this coin, and it's taken forever to get certified.

Mexico 1875-Mo B/M 5c struck in gold (over a gold Peso).
    I do not think this is an actual mint error, but maybe mint sport?
    Possibly a later strike from rusty dies.

NGC MS62 (PCGS declined to certify it).

😮😮😮 wow. Really, wow.

• Options

Here today I have a Mexico 25 centavos. In 1885 at the Durango mint there were 2 assayers C & S, each of the assayers produced 15,000 coins each. This coin is crudely struck, appears to have both assayers and the eagle has a belly button. There are no graded examples at PCGS or NGC. Although not the most attractive, I find the coin has a lot of character.

Here is an 1882 DoC that made its way in to my collection by way of @bidask thanks Dan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FistFullOfDollars said:
    Here today I have a Mexico 25 centavos. In 1885 at the Durango mint there were 2 assayers C & S, each of the assayers produced 15,000 coins each. This coin is crudely struck, appears to have both assayers and the eagle has a belly button. There are no graded examples at PCGS or NGC. Although not the most attractive, I find the coin has a lot of character.

Not my series, but that looks way too crude to be a Durango Mint product.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@FistFullOfDollars said:

Possible contemp ctfeit was an immediate thought, particularly from the coloration and sloppy date... but looking at a couple other examples with more "normal" looking surfaces, it appears that's probably the legitimate mint issue.

• Options

@FistFullOfDollars said:
    Here today I have a Mexico 25 centavos. In 1885 at the Durango mint there were 2 assayers C & S, each of the assayers produced 15,000 coins each. This coin is crudely struck, appears to have both assayers and the eagle has a belly button.

That "belly button" is a centering dot placed on the die by the die sinker. The die sinker would then use a compass/divider type tool to lightly scratch circular guide lines that will help in laying out the position of letters in the legend. Usually the centering dot would be covered by the central design and guide lines would be buffed out before the die went into production, but not always successfully (as seen above). Zacatecas during the War of Independence was notorious for having guide lines often visible.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:

@MrEureka said:

@FistFullOfDollars said:

Possible contemp ctfeit was an immediate thought, particularly from the coloration and sloppy date... but looking at a couple other examples with more "normal" looking surfaces, it appears that's probably the legitimate mint issue.

Or maybe they're all fakes. FWIW, I looked at the date style on a number of other Durango issues of the era and they seemed well executed, very much unlike the "1885" on the coins in question. Which is why I was leaning towards calling them contemporary counterfeits. But I did not look at enough coins to be confident about it. I'll leave that to someone else.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 2:13PM

centering dots are common during the 1870s. Also refer to this forum thread for more...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1002849/1877-mexico-8-reales-centering-dot

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BSmith said:

What do you think is going on here in the date?
    I suppose it could just be a die chip but, to me, it just seems to be too geometrically shaped to be a random chip, yet at the same time seemingly to far over out of alignment to be part of an overdate digit.

• Options
    threefiftythreefifty Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Great coin TwoKopeiki, in beautiful shape! Cool that it was an Ebay pickup, it's fun to look for those errors. I got a Potosí 1813 FERDIN IIV last year and am always on the lookout, but there is tough competition.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Great coin Roman, glad it ended up in your collection.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice @TwoKopeiki