Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1877 Mexico 8 reales, centering dot?

What do you think of the dot, above the right leg of the eagle, on the reverse of this coin? I was thinking maybe a centering dot, but it seems big. any insights would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no insights, but I have seen this kind of thing before. Wouldn't deter me from serious consideration of buying the coin if the price was right, the weight was right, etc. Maybe twenty years ago, I wouldn't have even checked the weight!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too big to be a centering dot. But I don’t know what it is.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. So 2 thoughts are, is the artifact in the dead center? And is there a second depression toward the 3 o'clock? which may be part of a second circle. Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really hard to tell from the picture, but another possibility is this could be a small circular Chinese chopmark. They are known on coins of this period from this mint.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    Really hard to tell from the picture, but another possibility is this could be a small circular Chinese chopmark. They are known on coins of this period from this mint.

Definitely a possibility. A chop would be incuse. A centering dot would be raised.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old timers at ANA Summer Seminar (mid 1990s) were not concerned this with kind of mark, but I don't remember exactly what they said. I believe they thought it had something to do with die production, I may have written their explanation down but would need to find my notes. I don't believe their explanation involved any chopmark.

Whatever they told me, it left me unconconcerned - coins with this dot are seen from time to time and they give me no anxieties.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swamperbob has a friend who is writing a book on this series. I've not seen one without the cactus thorns. I have seen the dot before. I always assumed it was for centering.

• Options

The dot is in fact a centering dot. The centering dots used at Guanajuato in the mid 1870s are a subject that would need a very long article to cover. They run from a more normal tiny dot to very large circles - some even come with a circle and center dot like a bull's eye. There has never been an acceptable reason for this development but they are VERY interesting.

Robert Richard Gurney
  • Options

The cactus spines are a finishing touch for dies of this period at Guanjuato - so the die was used before it was technically finished, fairly common.

Robert Richard Gurney
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Swamperbob, I needed that explanation. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Swamperbob Thank you for the insight! I find these type of things fascinating!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 9:57PM

@Swamperbob

Is that very pronounced circle seen on the 1875-Go issue a centering dot?

Here is a photo I pulled off the PCGS website (not my coin) --

Jeff

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resplandoes mention the dot as "interesting" but not a variety.

They indicate the die style was struck from 1873-1886 . So the dot can appear on coins from those years .

Mostly common dates but the 1873 GO FR is scarce and elusive in high grade .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.