Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marmac said:
    I do believe this thread has resulted in me creeping over to the darkside and contemplating a box of 20 representing the America's- thanks a lot!

Welcome! There’s plenty to choose from.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:

Here's a coin I'm happy to have received yesterday. I think I was lucky to have seen it listed at a fixed price and I didn't hesitate very long before buying it. There is a problem area from where I suspect the coin was removed from a mount but handling it I don't mind as much as I thought I would. It's a really fun coin to hold and examine, and there is a lot to see on the edge. Problem free examples of the type are so rare and expensive that I did not anticipate finding one and I was not even thinking about trying to acquire one. So having one fall into my lap was quite a surprise.

My starting point for learning about the coin was A Monetary History of Central America by Brian Stickney. There are also some informative past auction descriptions on Heritage Auctions if anyone wants to learn more.

The Central American Republic's constitution of 1824 described coins that were to be minted in the same fineness as Spanish government issues, but with "some minor differences permitted". This coin was minted in Honduras one year later, however after just a few months of minting, the nonstandard issues were declared illegal in favor of more standardized production and many may have been melted.

There are some points of disagreement among references I found especially around the silver purity of this coin, so I'm hoping to figure that out soon. One says it is 0.750 fine, while another says 0.903, and a third says it was struck at the higher fineness of colonial cobs to make up for its appearance. The last explanation makes sense to me and I don't see why you'd add the minor difference clause to the constitution without the intention of doing something like that. At the same time I don't think a reduction from around 90% to 75% would be considered a minor difference, though I'm no constitutional scholar.

I'm also curious about the lettering on this example, especially in CENT and CRESC. Specifically whether there is some die clashing in those areas, or if there is something else going on. I didn't see other examples online with the same appearance there.

Looks double struck to me.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri That’s excellent! Will you post it on Instagram? I’d love to see a video of it.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @Boosibri That’s excellent! Will you post it on Instagram? I’d love to see a video of it.

Just did

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 1:05PM

@Abuelo said:
    Yes, I know it is not Thursday, but I just got this one at Stack's and am very happy. Super rare for the First Empire... How they decided 60 dollars was a good estimate is a mystery to me... Enjoy!

I was watching that one, @Abuelo. Why am I thinking that it was a $100-200 coin?

Edited to add: I must have been thinking of the 1/8R not the 1/4R that you bought. Congratulations!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas correct, the 1/8 go for that. In fact when I saw the catalogue first I thought it was an 1/8 real. But then I paid attention and am very happy I did. Thanks.

• Options
    ncsuwolf74ncsuwolf74 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I've got some NGC boxes home from the bank for inventory and thought you folks might be interested in seeing these. Many of my better coins are in NGC holders, and I will not be playing the crackout game given the present state of affairs.

Sorry for the poor cell phone pics. These copper patterns usually come in horrendous condition.

Those are nice

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim Elliot

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I've got some NGC boxes home from the bank for inventory and thought you folks might be interested in seeing these. Many of my better coins are in NGC holders, and I will not be playing the crackout game given the present state of affairs.

Sorry for the poor cell phone pics. These copper patterns usually come in horrendous condition.

Wowee!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas never disappoints.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really beautiful pieces there, Sir. I am surprised these didn't get a "specimen" designation, not that it really matters.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it works out for you Roman !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

Better image than the first time I saw it. That is a really nice coin for the mint and denomination. Those who aren't familiar with the series don't know how hard it is to find anything decent for it.

Thanks! Will post the Trueview whenever it posts

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 7:23PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Picked this one up. Photos look promising.

Obverse cleaning with overall semi-PL fields. What a shame :(

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Picked this one up. Photos look promising.

Obverse cleaning with overall semi-PL fields. What a shame :(

Indeed, so wonder if this is on the same page as your coin:

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭

I love this thread

• Options

@tcollects said:
    I love this thread

Agreed! This thread has been delivering for 14 and a half years so far :)

• Options

I still prefer PCGS images, but they do tend prefer warmer undertones with more reds and yellows.

• Options

@Eddi said:
    Santiago del Nuevo Extremo, Capitania General de Chile, 1/2 Real 1760.

The Santiago mint issued 8 Real Columnarios from 1751 to 1770 (with interruptions in several years), as well 4 Reales and 1/2 Real only in 1760.
    Some authors mention both 1 and 2 Real issues in 1758 and 1760, as well as a 1/2 real dated 1756. However, the existence of these coins has to date not been verified.

An extremely rare columnario with only 6 known, 3 of which are pierced. No new examples reported for the last 25 years.
    This is a coin which I had been searching for since 1991. I had an opportunity to buy a slightly better example during a visit to Santiago in 1991, (but foolishly missed that opportunity).

Congrats! That’s a rare piece!!

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's incredible! Congrats!!!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    Santiago del Nuevo Extremo, Capitania General de Chile, 1/2 Real 1760.

The Santiago mint issued 8 Real Columnarios from 1751 to 1770 (with interruptions in several years), as well 4 Reales and 1/2 Real only in 1760.
    Some authors mention both 1 and 2 Real issues in 1758 and 1760, as well as a 1/2 real dated 1756. However, the existence of these coins has to date not been verified.

An extremely rare columnario with only 6 known, 3 of which are pierced. No new examples reported for the last 25 years.
    This is a coin which I had been searching for since 1991. I had an opportunity to buy a slightly better example during a visit to Santiago in 1991, (but foolishly missed that opportunity).

Amazing coin and one to be proud to own congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

@AngryDragon said:
    Mexico 1/2 Real KM71. 1790 Charles IIII with Charles III bust and inverted 6 for 9. Better variety for the year. Not the most attractive coin of the bunch but okay for 1-year type with certified population of only 9; 4 higher.

Cool variety!

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭

I love this thread> @JohnnyCache said:

that's awesome

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    A few additions to the set from today's Stacks sale and one spectacular loss:

And here's the one that got away. 1772-MF is a pretty tough coin in any grade with no uncirculated examples known, but it wasn't a $9k+ coin to me. Congrats to the new owner.

It's funny how this happens in collecting and another highlight of the fact that there are a lot of collections out there in the raw. After all the commotion caused by the exceptional price realized for the 1772-MF in the latest Stacks sale, Just made a deal for these two well-matched beauties from an long time collector. Both will become part of my core collection that will, hopefully, not see the auction block for many decades to come. Incredibly excited to get these 2 finally in-hand.

Congratulations!