Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Sorry forgot to add that there was an interesting blog on the 08/07's yesterday at:

U.S. Mint Blog

Aso mentioned the potential sellout (happened I guess) and premium potential for the regular 08 W's

Year Burnished

2006-W 470,000

2007-W 647,474

2008-W 411,785 (as of this week)

• << <i>Just noticed on the US Mint website that they've stopped taking orders for the 2008W SAE (Unc & Proof). >>

Just checked and they are still available and in stock....

2008 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin (Z8F)
    $25.95 In Stock

• << <i>...2008-W 411,785 (as of this week) >>

That was the figure as of 10/20/08. The number as of 10/26/08 was 417,128, but there should be another update tomorrow. Since 9/1/08, the total 08W Unc figure has been increasing at an average rate of 5,712 coins per week. image

• << <i> Just checked and they are still available and in stock.... 2008 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin (Z8F)
    $25.95 In Stock >>

Yes, I see that now. I was looking on the "Subscriptions" page. Odd that you can still buy them individually, but not using a new subscription.

Thanks for pointing this out.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Buyers are grabbing up anything from $500-$550 on ebay now. It looks like we are seeing the rise in prices as it comes to the year end that I expected to see.

• << <i>felt like sharing

I got two out of five that were recently submitted.image

Renimage >>

Way to go Ren!

Seems like those of us who have sent in our best coins as of late have done pretty well. Is PCGS grading "more" 70's percentage-wise today than they were when they had the first influx of coins? Did we do well by waiting to have them graded? Personally, I'm not sure I would have gotten my 1 - 70 out of two coins if I had submitted back when they first recognized the variety.

Edited to add:
    1) I miss this thread!
    2) I wrote my request for the reverse facing out on the form only, and they slabbed them to my liking.
    3) I should've imaged my 70 before I took it to the SDB, but I forgot. The two I sent in were of the "shiny" type. image

Oh yeah, and what ever happened to Tony Koo?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

I think maybe I will look over my 69 first strikes and send some in for reevaluation.

How much does it cost to do that?
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Since the value of the graded coin exceeds $300, it looks like the regrading fee would be $30.

PCGS Pricing Link
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>felt like sharing

I got two out of five that were recently submitted.image

Renimage >>

Did you remove them from original slabs, is it possible to keep first strike! >>

No, the 5 submitted were my best kept raws.
    Ren
  • Like 6Sigma, I have mine in the FoodSaver and totally, 100% spot free/tone free.

Anyone hear from TonyWKoo lately? Like to know how he made out in his foray as a 'coin dealer'. MS and PP found out he was gaffing them fraudently and canned ALL his cashbacks under his and his wife's name. His wife left him, lives in a refrig box under the highway........

Lope....any word from yhe mint or they just blow you off because you asked too many questions? Now you are on their 'watch' list...lol
    I'll come up with something, eventually.

Did anyone notice that these coins went up $100 on PCGS.

• << <i>Did anyone notice that these coins went up $100 on PCGS. >>

Ahh, I just dug up this thread to point that out myself...guess I'm almost a week late image

EDITED: FYI the PCGS 70 went up $100 to $2100 according to the price guide. The 69's are now listed at $550 (up from $520).
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Not sure if it is the camera but it looks like this listing has a couple of spots on it, and it is (was) a PCGS MS70! Looks like both the obverse and reverse have spots.

I wonder how many non spotted PCGS 70s will remain after a year?

PCGS MS70 Spots?

• << <i>I'm wondering if I should send some of my 1st strike 69's in for a re-evaluation. They look pretty good. >>

I have a few as well. Would you stand a better chance for a 70 if the coins were cracked out beforehand? Mine are not 1st strike...
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anyone notice that these coins went up $100 on PCGS. >>

Ahh, I just dug up this thread to point that out myself...guess I'm almost a week late image

EDITED: FYI the PCGS 70 went up $100 to $2100 according to the price guide. The 69's are now listed at $550 (up from $520). >>

***Those are last month's selling prices*** I suspect the price guide will be adjusted lower to reflect the lower sales prices realized for November.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Mine have not sold for less!
    This past week I saw a NGC69 go for $419 and a PCGS69 go for $349 on the 'bay! Anomaly?

Ren

ed4sp
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>This past week I saw a NGC69 go for $419 and a PCGS69 go for $349 on the 'bay! Anomaly?

Ren

ed4sp >>

If that's the NGC 69 I'm thinking of, it had one of the worst slab photographs I've ever seen.. it looks like he pointed a cheap camera at it and used flash and the entire center of the slab where the coin was, was just one huge white blur.. what's the auction number for the PCGS 69 that went for $349.00?.. I've only been following the NGC 69s because those are the only ones I had.. I've sold three of them for $500.00 each and now only have one left which I'm going to hang onto it for a while.. my twisted plan is to sell it next year to cover half (hopefully) the cost of one of the 2009 Ultra High Relief Saint reproductions.. but since The Mint hasn't announced a price on those yet.. I don't know what half the price of one will be.. if they price it at $1000.00 or less, I'll probably go for it, but if they put some ridiculous premium on it, like $1200.00, forget it.. I wonder if a coin that's twice as thick as a $10.00 Gold Eagle will fit into a PCGS slab.. anyone know?..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>This past week I saw a NGC69 go for $419 and a PCGS69 go for $349 on the 'bay! Anomaly?

Ren

ed4sp >>

I would guess that's the result of the artificial cap in place because of the MS 25% cashback...

<< <i>Mine have not sold for less! >>

I suspect you have not sold any recently, because since 11/10 only 2 ms69's (both PCGS) have sold for over $500 (11/13) .. the rest have either sold for under $500 or did not sell at all.
    I sold one for $600 and one for $580.

<< <i>I sold one for $600 and one for $580. >>

When? ... I'm not questioning that they have sold for that amount, but what I'm saying that they are not selling for that amount any longer.....
  • What have the PCGS 70's been bringing as of late (if any are even selling)?

I have one and I keep thinking I'd rather use the money for something good, but I don't want to sell it for some low price like $1200 or something!
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Am still in amazement at an NGC MS-69 selling for $800 plus shipping on November 12.

Ebay item 230307239872
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i will go on the record that i cancelled ALL MY 08 w ase orders b4 this discovery

• << <i>Am still in amazement at an NGC MS-69 selling for $800 plus shipping on November 12 >>

Wow! Must have missed that one. I have one on sale this Sunday but I doubt it will fetch $800. Strange......image

<< <i>What have the PCGS 70's been bringing as of late (if any are even selling)?

I have one and I keep thinking I'd rather use the money for something good, but I don't want to sell it for some low price like $1200 or something! >>

Hey, I'll give ya $1200.00 for it.. then you can take the money and run over to The Mint's "Last Chance Sale" and buy up as many spoons as $1200.00 will buy.. then just wait a couple months until GM, Ford, and Chrysler go bust, throwing 25 million people out of work, and we have a new Depression with bread lines and soup kitchens.. with all those snazzy spoons, you'll get to go right to the head of the line!.. image

(not to be too terribly off-topic or anything, but any of youze guys been looking at that sale and what's been selling out?.. the first thing to go were the 2004 Mint sets.. you know, the ones the Mint only sold for three months in 2004 then yanked them with no warning, so they shot up to about $70.00 on the after-market.. they were gone five minutes after the sale started.. I was lying in bed watching teevee and thought oh crap!.. the sale just started.. so I raced to the computer, and they were already gone!.. I bet some huge dealer grabbed all of them by punching in some ridiculously high order quantity.. but one of the other first things to sell out was Iowa spoons.. I'm still trying to figure out why..) ..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

<< <i>Am still in amazement at an NGC MS-69 selling for $800 plus shipping on November 12.

Ebay item 230307239872 >>

No, that was not "an" NGC MS-69. That listing was 13 Available NGC MS-69's at 800.00 each...... image And it looks like every one was purchased buy a new bidder, a (0) if you will....What an Odd coin...cedence...image

<< <i>

When? ... I'm not questioning that they have sold for that amount, but what I'm saying that they are not selling for that amount any longer..... >>

$600 on 10/16
    $580 on 11/13

<< <i>

<< <i>

When? ... I'm not questioning that they have sold for that amount, but what I'm saying that they are not selling for that amount any longer..... >>

$600 on 10/16
    $580 on 11/13 >>

Exactly...If you read my post, it clearly said: "The last one sold on 11/13 for over $500 & none have sold for over $500 since....
    What happened to the price guide for the 08/07 eagles?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    has anyone noticed a price drop and demand?

I see some for sale on the BST and it seems like some of the sellers aren't able to sell them very quickly and the prices are in the low 400s.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<has anyone noticed a price drop and demand?>>

Yes, the prices have softened a bit, tough times all over.

Hopefully Obama's magic wand will cure this recession.

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Yea, right!!!!

<< <i><<has anyone noticed a price drop and demand?>>

Scott >>

BO-Magic!!!
    I'd settle for a decision or two.
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<has anyone noticed a price drop and demand?>>

Scott >>

PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Where's Tony???
    I'll come up with something, eventually.

• << <i>Where's Tony??? >>

TONY!TONY!TONY!TONY!TONY!image

• << <i>Where's Tony??? >>

In his last posting on August 5 he said he only had 4 08/07's left. He probably sold and moved on.....image
    Non First Strike 69's are tanking .... recent sales are below $400. How low will they go?
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Non First Strike 69's are tanking .... recent sales are below $400. How low will they go? >>

7 million posts on this thread and now we are depending on "First Strike?"

I am truly happy my one and only Nanney is "First Strike!" ;

• I saw a FS go for $495 tonight by Auction with 9 Bidders
  • I've decided I'm going to sell my PCGS 70 to raise some cash. I could use the cash soon
    and I just keep hearing the folks on these boards who say "It's only profit if you take it."

Unfortunately, I think eBay is the best venue to sell this right now. There is one auction-style 70
    on eBay right now that ends in 4 days. I'm watching it and hoping it goes for around 2K.
    I don't want to get killed with fees.

<< <i>

<< <i>Non First Strike 69's are tanking .... recent sales are below $400. How low will they go? >>

7 million posts on this thread and now we are depending on "First Strike?"

I am truly happy my one and only Nanney is "First Strike!" ; >>

The brilliant public is out there maxing out what CCs they have left buying Holiday crap they don't need for people who don't want it.. diverting money they'd spend on stuff for themselves to gifts for other people.. money they don't have, but they're willing to go deeper into debt at obscene Interest rates to make themselves look generous.. so the CC companies' head Scrooges can rub their hands in glee.. but what do I know.. I'm only a Nobel Prize-winning economist.. {{giggle}}.. thus, I suspect that these coins are dropping a bit due to seasonal Holiday buying frenzy..

I was watching The Suzy Orman show last weekend and she had a woman on, one of these typical "Housewives of Orange County" types.. begging Suzy to advise her how to get out of the CC Hell she had gotten herself into.. she had $230,000.00 in CC debt (that is NOT a typo).. had over 20 CCs, bought herself about $2k in jewelry every month, she has no job, but her old man brings in $9k a month.. they live in a $1 million house so between the mortgage payments and the CC payments, she's writing $20,000.00 in checks every month (that is not a typo).. to make the payments.. putting them over $10,000.00 deeper in the hole every month.. yet despite Suzy's best efforts, this woman was unwilling to take her advice to sell the house and move into an apartment, so she could start paying down the CC debt.. she told Suzy she liked to indulge herself (and just looking at her, you could tell she spent God knows how much on hair, nails, clothing, jewelry..) .. Suzy couldn't convince her that the right thing to do was immediately sell the house and was just image ing herself in the forehead because this self-indulgent woman called in for advice, but wouldn't take it..

I'm sure this isn't an isolated incident.. there are a lot of people like that out there..

So.. join the crowd.. my Birthday is this Friday.. image

Harv
  • Any consensus on how many of these are out there? I would presume that there is at least 2.5 to 3 times as many as what the grading services have graded so far.
  • Isn't it time for John Nanney to make a new discovery? image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>Any consensus on how many of these are out there? I would presume that there is at least 2.5 to 3 times as many as what the grading services have graded so far >>

Not a consensus but from the US Mint there were 47,000 minted. This is not really a new announcement.......
    Actually, 46,318.........You gotta read the thread...image

• << <i>Actually, 46,318.........You gotta read the thread...image >>

Thanks Casman. I still have 3 of the 46,318. image

And no, the Mint never responded to my 'additional' questions, which
    were really just the same ones we asked the first time around.

Maybe it's about time I send them another letter and keep pestering
    them until they at least acknowledge it. I suppose if I send them the
    letter each week it wouldn't take too long for a response.

But of course, it would just say something like "We believe we
    answered all of your questions and the U.S. Mint stands by
    it's numbers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file