Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Happy Nude Year..

Who would make a decision to drop the Burnished Ws?.. Moy?.. Anyone know if he's keeping his job as Director of the Mint after 20 January, 2009?.. I can't see them dropping them since they're selling about half a million of 'em a year, give or take, at a pretty healthy premium.. then again, I don't know what their costs are to turn $10.00 worth of Silver into a $24.95 product either.. (or in this case, screw up and turn it into a $500.00 to $2500.00 coin.. of which they only got $24.95 a throw.. heehee..) ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Happy new year everyone. Will we get another topic of conversation like this one in the new year.? I doubt it.
    This is interesting..

NGC MS69s.. ER or Brown Label, have been going for anywhere from $410.00 - ish to $450.00 - ish the past few weeks.. it's scrolled off, but an ER sold for $483.00 on 23 December, 2008..

Then a couple days ago.. one listed at $599.00 or Best Offer sold for $550.00!..

Link

Meanwhile.. someone put up half a dozen NGC MS69 Brown labels plus seven 08/08s raw, at $3100.00 "Buy it Now".. and took a "Best Offer" of $2300.00 for the lot..

Other Link

So.. whipping out the old calculator on that second one.. let's throw out the seven 08/08 raws at oh.. how about $30.00 each, and rounding down, let's knock $200.00 off his $3100.00 asking price.. taking it down to $2900.00, or $483.33 each..

He decided to take a "Best Offer" of $2300.00.. throw out the seven raw 08/08s again, and knock off $200.00.. so make the "Best Offer" of $2300.00 that he accepted for six NGC MS69 08/07s, $2100.00 instead.. divide by six, he settled for $350.00 each..

This doesn't include eBay listing fees, eBay Final Value Fees, and PayPal fees, if he got paid by PayPal and had to eat their vig..

So within about a two-week period, you have one selling for $550.00 (the highest I could find), most of them selling in the $425.00 to $450.00 range, and half a dozen selling for $350.00 each.. a $200.00 spread..

Conclusion?.. The guy who got $550.00 for one got lucky..

The guy who decided to take $350.00 each for half a dozen of them screwed himself royally.. first, by listing half a dozen of them in one auction.. IMO, a not-very-wise way to sell them.. secondly, by taking $800.00 less than he had wanted to get.. $800.00 is serious money to kiss off.. (maybe not for some people it isn't.. for others, it'd pay a month's rent!).. based on the general range these have been selling for, he probably could've gotten $100.00 more per slab, or about $450.00 each, instead of settling for $350.00 each.. who knows why.. desperation for cash can lead to desperate mistakes.. the Xmas CC bills came home to roost.. medical bills? car repairs?.. he needed fast money and panicked and didn't think it out rationally and took the lowball offer.. who knows why..

[Edited to delete stuff about Press kits..] ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Harv, to sum it up, the 2008/07 coins are simply settling in to what their eventual price will be.

I think its as simple as that and its what I have been saying all along despite the arguments otherwise.

Time can be a seller's enemy as well as a collector's friend.

The interesting thing about this entire scenario is the introduction of the Internet and eBay into these buying frenzies as this is really nothing new in the coin world. Stuff like this has been occuring with regularity since the early 50's and will continue on into the future for some unknown oddity or mint error that reaches the public domain.

It was, without a doubt, a memorable experience for me and I can only hope that I'm in the water when the next big wave comes along.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    oww!..

$299.00

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well Harv, to sum it up, the 2008/07 coins are simply settling in to what their eventual price will be.

What is an eventual price anyway? I have some old Red books and hardly any of the coins listed appear to have an eventual price judging by todays Red Book.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS 69's for the last 10 days ... have sold in a price range of: low $430 to: high $470...with most of the F/S coins receiving a higher bid than the non FS coins.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>Well Harv, to sum it up, the 2008/07 coins are simply settling in to what their eventual price will be. >>

What is an eventual price anyway? I have some old Red books and hardly any of the coins listed appear to have an eventual price judging by todays Red Book. >>

Well, an eventual price would be the coins true collectible value AFTER the panic buying which threw this 2008/07 coin into the stratosphere. Certainly the high prices commanded during June (and paid by some) won;t appear in the Redbook. The Redbook, which so many revere as Gospel, doesn't have a section on what 1950-D nickels were selling for during their "wave" so comparing established prices with crazy stupid prices is a little silly. These coins will continue to waver until an average purchase price can be established.

Where that will be, I have no idea. However, I am reasonably certain that its not $1,000 per coin as was stated in this thread around June and I am also reasonably certain that it won't be anywhere near $750 per coin as some have tauted.

At one point in time, I thought $500 per coin was reasonable but that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

Would $250 or perhaps $300 per coin be unreasonable?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Would $250 or perhaps $300 per coin be unreasonable? >>

I still believe, that for PCGS 69's the price range will settle in the $350 - $400 range. NGC...$300 - $350 range, before slowly but consistenly having an up trend....47,000 is not a lot, considering that there are at least twice as many SAE collectors out there.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Is the population settled at 47K?

There was a lot of speculation that the numbers
    my be less (or more)?

• << <i>Is the population settled at 47K?

my be less (or more)? >>

Yea, what ever happened with the FOIA request? Did I miss it?

• << <i>oww!..

$299.00

image >>

No one noticed this?
    The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the population settled at 47K?

my be less (or more)? >>

Yea, what ever happened with the FOIA request? Did I miss it? >>

As I recall they did respond with some info but it was evasive for the most part. If you have a few hours of free time you can find the posts here.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I guess the Mint decided they had enough of this and no longer responds to any of my requests. What a surprise.

Looks like we're stuck with 46,318.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

You young whipper-snappers have the affrontery to ask a question of the Great and powerful Mint? Next thing you know you will be asking for a brain.

<< <i>You young whipper-snappers have the affrontery to ask a question of the Great and powerful Mint? Next thing you know you will be asking for a brain.

image >>

You got it Coinsponge image

Still young enough to say "Why not?"!

Hey, we did get an answer the first time though...so we got that goin' for us, which is nice. Carl Spackler would be proud.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • I have one of those for Sell now in a PCGS MS69 holder. Anyone want to make an offer. Another
    coin I cant find a good value for.

Al

<< <i>

<< <i>You young whipper-snappers have the affrontery to ask a question of the Great and powerful Mint? Next thing you know you will be asking for a brain.

image >>

You got it Coinsponge image

Still young enough to say "Why not?"!

Hey, we did get an answer the first time though...so we got that goin' for us, which is nice. Carl Spackler would be proud. >>

Yes, thanks for doing that-a valiant effort.

<< <i>

<< <i>oww!..

$299.00

image >>

No one noticed this?
    The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price. >>

"Honey, the car's making a funny noise when I turn the steering wheel, I've never heard that noise before, and it smells like something's burning.. could you look at it?" .. "Sure Hon (geeze.. Women)..'"..

{{a few minutes pass.. the sound of a car hood slamming shut, and a guy imageing outside.. he walks in, while wiping stinky black fluid off his hands with a rag.. grabs the phone..

"Yeah, Hi, John.. it's Frank.. listen, my power steering pump is shot.. yeah, on the Chrysler.. yeah, the fluid is black.. how much would it.. yeah, I'm sure.. uh-huh.. uh-huh.. yeah.. that noise too.. do you have a bay open?.. okay, I'll be right over.. hey wait a sec, before you hang up, can you give me a ballpark figu.. uh-huh.. uh-huh.. what!? image! Okay, I'll be over in a few minutes, I just have to do something on the computer first.. image"..

"Honey, is everything okay?"..

"ratta frazza damn car image ..let's see.. where's that freakin' bookmark.. yeah, here it is.. 'End your auction early'..

The {{click}} heard 'round the world..

"Hi, congratulations on winning, your total is $299.00 plus blah blah etc. etc. If it's not too much to ask, could you PayPal me as soon as you read this?.. Thanks, Frank"..

"I'll be back in a couple hours, Honey.. ratta frazza.."

{{door slams..}}..

"Kids, I told you to change, Susan, stop hitting your Brother!.. your Daddy's taking us all out to dinner tonight at that new restaurant.."

"Aww Mom.. okay.. hey, Dad's leaving.. where's he going?"

{{faintly heard shouting, coming from outside, barely audible over the screeching of a blown power steering pump}}.. "Honey, dinner's off.. tell the kids I'll stop at McDonalds on the way home.. gimme a couple of hours".. screeeeeeeeeeeech..

• Something like that could have happened, but my guess is that the buyer made the seller an offer he couldn't refuse. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Do ya'll think that this coin will make it into the 2010 Redbook?
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, I don't know about the book, thought it'd already be in the darn thing but, I already tell the kids the story about a collector from Virginia, and all the commotion he caused (they love my stories)...John your gonna go down in history just like Rudolph....image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>oww!..

$299.00

image >>

Wish that I had caught that one!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>oww!..

$299.00

image >>

No one noticed this?
    The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price. >>

"Honey, the car's making a funny noise when I turn the steering wheel, I've never heard that noise before, and it smells like something's burning.. could you look at it?" .. "Sure Hon (geeze.. Women)..'"..

{{a few minutes pass.. the sound of a car hood slamming shut, and a guy imageing outside.. he walks in, while wiping stinky black fluid off his hands with a rag.. grabs the phone..

"Yeah, Hi, John.. it's Frank.. listen, my power steering pump is shot.. yeah, on the Chrysler.. yeah, the fluid is black.. how much would it.. yeah, I'm sure.. uh-huh.. uh-huh.. yeah.. that noise too.. do you have a bay open?.. okay, I'll be right over.. hey wait a sec, before you hang up, can you give me a ballpark figu.. uh-huh.. uh-huh.. what!? image! Okay, I'll be over in a few minutes, I just have to do something on the computer first.. image"..

"Honey, is everything okay?"..

"ratta frazza damn car image ..let's see.. where's that freakin' bookmark.. yeah, here it is.. 'End your auction early'..

The {{click}} heard 'round the world..

"Hi, congratulations on winning, your total is $299.00 plus blah blah etc. etc. If it's not too much to ask, could you PayPal me as soon as you read this?.. Thanks, Frank"..

"I'll be back in a couple hours, Honey.. ratta frazza.."

{{door slams..}}..

"Kids, I told you to change, Susan, stop hitting your Brother!.. your Daddy's taking us all out to dinner tonight at that new restaurant.."

"Aww Mom.. okay.. hey, Dad's leaving.. where's he going?"

{{faintly heard shouting, coming from outside, barely audible over the screeching of a blown power steering pump}}.. "Honey, dinner's off.. tell the kids I'll stop at McDonalds on the way home.. gimme a couple of hours".. screeeeeeeeeeeech.. >>

LOL!! Outstanding!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Just an update: a PCGS 70 sold for $1600 on January 2nd. LINK

I listed my only 70 the other day and after a couple offers, determined $1600 seems to be about the going rate right now, so I sold it with a Best Offer and shipping for $1600. LINK TO MY SALE

All in all, I will say I'm pleased with $1600 since I made the 70 out of a raw $25.95 coin. Of course, after all the fees it's a heck of a lot closer to $1400.

The only other coin recently listed had a BIN of $1795 and a starting bid of $1755. No takers, listed twice.

Anybody seeing deals for these being completed over the $1600 range right now?
    Only the PCGS 70 First Strike will have a chance for around $2k...( but with only 168 graded ... I would hold on to them)

I intend to hold on to mine. I don't need to sell it. I will even hold on to my NGC early release 70.
    Matter of fact ... I would hold on to all of my PCGS First Strike ones....The pop report has not changed since 9/7 for these ( 1675 )
  • So Tony never dropped back in to say Hello to any of you guys?

Yea, I think I will. I put 8 up for sale on BST for $500 each and nobody wanted them . I have 9 of them and have decided to just keep them.
    I thought I was down to just one PCGS 69 and one raw, but according to all my records on my computer I still have an NGC ER69. Oops, guess I forgot about that one image I'll have to confirm next time I go to the bank. I sold it (the PCGS 70 non-FS) to help fund a new purchase. I don't have too many high dollar coins, so I figured I'd finally listen to the classic forum advice "It's only profit if you take it."

And I'm slowly starting to ween myself off of "modern junk" and into more classic coins. So it made sense for me right now.

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So Tony never dropped back in to say Hello to any of you guys? >>

Guess that fire burned out quickly! ! ! image

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    So I have an NGC70. What are the odds of that crossing over to a PCGS70 ???? image

Ah let me think---------------------------- oh I would say about-------------------------------ZERO!!!!!!!!

<< <i>So I have an NGC70. What are the odds of that crossing over to a PCGS70 ???? image >>

This raw one just sold for $208.81

Does this look like pmd? Would it be considered a double error or just damaged? Corrected link
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I have an NGC70. What are the odds of that crossing over to a PCGS70 ???? >>

<< <i>Ah let me think---------------------------- oh I would say about-------------------------------ZERO!!!!!!!! >>

PCGS refuses to cross at the MS70 grade. There are some PCGS MS70's in NGC MS70 holders. You just have to have the cahoonahs to crack them and submit raw. After the coin is cracked out any issues on the reede edge(hidden by in NGC slab) would not allow the coin to MS70 at PCGS. PCGS grades the reeded edge on MS/PR70 coins NGC doesn't grade the reeded edge.

I looked at that coin and decided that I wanted nothing to do with it.
    I decided the same but wondered if it had any value as an error, never heard of crimping...Seems prices have dipped...

<< <i>This raw one just sold for $208.81 Link

Does this look like pmd? Would it be considered a double error or just damaged? >>

Were you intending to link to the forums? image

The name is LEE!
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my PCGS MS70 08/07 coins have spots image
    An NGC MS69 sold for $550.00 on eBay yesterday - a "Best Offer" on a "Buy it Now (for $599.00) or Best Offer" set-up.. so the widest spread I've seen on NGC MS69s in the past couple'a three weeks is a low of $299.00 and a high of $585.00.. although that latter one has already scrolled off eBay's "you can only search two weeks back unless you have an item number or 30 days back if you know the seller or bidders' ID or 60 days back if it's your own auction" nonsense.. although I suppose that even though they have more money than most banks, no one has bothered to tell them that 1tb hard drives are about a a hundred bucks these days.. and yes, I'm trying to win a prize in the run-on sentence contest..

<< <i>

<< <i>This raw one just sold for $208.81 Link

Does this look like pmd? Would it be considered a double error or just damaged? >>

Were you intending to link to the forums? image >>

Sorry Lee, here's the correct link Corrected Link

• << <i>Both of my PCGS MS70 08/07 coins have spots image >>

Oh know! Already?

I have never used the PCGS guarantee. Does it apply to milk spots and how does it work?

That's part of the reason I just sold my 70...I got worried that one day I'll open the SDB and it will be worthless.
    NGC MS69 Brown label sold for $800.00..

someone care to opine on why?.. I can't explain it.. think I should list my last one at the same price and see if I get as lucky?.. {{fat chance}}..

Link
  • The same seller now has one listed for 999.99 BIN ......

Can he get lucky twice ??

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    It makes no sense, there are other NGC MS 69's available in the $300 - $400 range. Ask yourselves why would anyone spend more than double?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
    Irrational exuberance?..
    Couldn't bother to check what they usually go for?..
    Shill bidder helping the seller jack up his prices (as stated just above, he's now listed another one for a grand..) ..
    Who knows.. I'd like to know.. others, I'm sure would like to know why someone would pay.. well, "Buy it Now".. who knows if he really paid.. $800.00 for a slab that's been selling in the $400.00 - $450.00 range with one going for $299.00 last week and another going for $580.00 a week earlier, but this is Shirley the most anyone has paid for an NGC MS69 Brown Label on eBay that I can remember.. I don't watch the coin huckster teevee shows if I can help it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're still asking that kind of money for NGC MS69s.. and getting it..

Hey, y'know, besides smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.. I don't have many vices.. but I buy lotto tickets twice a month for two different lottos, a buck a game, five games ahead.. I've been doing this for two years.. I think the most I've won is like maybe $14.00.. 99.999% of the time, like most everybody else.. I win nothing.. but eventually, SOMEONE wins the jackpot.. my odds of winning are just as good as anyone else's who buys a $1.00 ticket per game.. about 40 million to one.. but eventually, someone wins.. yeah, it's throwing about $20.00 down the toilet each month.. but.. eventually.. someone wins.. $3 million.. $300 million.. somewhere in-between.. even second prize, which is usually a few hundred smackers is nothing to unclog yer nose at.. but.. eventually.. someone wins.. my chances of winning are next to zero, but if I don't buy the tickets, my chances of winning ARE zero.. point being.. people get lucky.. why'd he get double the going price for that coin?.. I do not know.. did the buyer really pay?.. who knows.. if it was a real purchase, the seller got really lucky, so he's trying again.. two crummy photos, a so-so description, and he gets ridiculously lucky.. people who win the lottos get insanely lucky.. but if you don't play, you can't win..

I've been selling on eBay going on eleven years and it's an interesting excercise in human psychology.. sometimes raising the price on something gets you a fast sale.. I've seen it happen and had it happen.. and I can't explain it..

The name is LEE!
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    are these going through the roof or dropping off the roof???

There is one locally at the B&M store for only 400 and noone has bought it. Is there still a demand for this item or is it a fad now?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file