Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I ordered 12 more just in case they find some. I am willing to take a chance. Backordered until 1/30/09
  • Options
    I just ordered 10
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    I have 2 on the way; maybe I'll get lucky again
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>are these going through the roof or dropping off the roof???

There is one locally at the B&M store for only 400 and noone has bought it. Is there still a demand for this item or is it a fad now? >>

mkman123, at this point in time, regardless of where they are going or what they will do, it appears that they can again be had from the US Mint for $25.95.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>are these going through the roof or dropping off the roof???

There is one locally at the B&M store for only 400 and noone has bought it. Is there still a demand for this item or is it a fad now? >>

mkman123, at this point in time, regardless of where they are going or what they will do, it appears that they can again be had from the US Mint for $25.95. >>

IF (bold, italics, underlined, red, 100 point font..).. IF you get lucky.. as per that other thread you linked to, someone placed two orders of what, 15 or 25 or 30 coins (man, my short-term memory sucks..) .. and got three 08/07s.. you could order 10 and get 10.. you could order 100 and get none.. step right up ladies and germs.. place yer bets..

I played the "ooh they're still showing up" game months ago and got zilch.. not gonna play it again, since if you get normal coins, and decide to return them, you have to pay the freight.. but yawl have fun.. and good luck..

Meanwhile.. the UHR Saint goes on sale tomorrow morning.. limit one.. I'll guarantee you the Mint's site will bog down and go 404 (or is it 401) as soon as sales for it open.. so wax your router and get ready for frustration..

But gamble on 08/07s again?.. no doubt someone will report a massive motherlode, lucky them.. and I can kick myself some more.. but I'm not in a gambling mood.. if you plan to gamble, better do it before the UHR Saint opens up for sale.. that frenzy will probably calm down after a couple days..

[Edited to delete off-topic stuff about other stuff..] ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I'm not surprised that there's a few random ones left floating around the fulfillment center. But honestly,
    all the new discovery shows us is that the Mint is shipping CRAP! Mismatched boxes, probably a bunch of early returns
    and low quality overall coins.

I'm with Harv on this one, I don't feel like buying a lottery ticket this time around. Mostly just because the Mint drive me
    nuts with it's cheap packaging, poor shipping, customer service, returns, etc. But to those who do, I hope you find some!

This new find ought to be good for a 200-300 more posts on this thread!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev of 2007 have dropped below $400 on eBay... time to put them away for a year or two.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    It is not mine but a non FS 07/08 PCGS MS70 is now listed with no reserve.
    Should show something about real strength of market.........................

CORRECTED LINK............

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-Silver-Eagle-Reverse-of-2007-Error-PCGS-MS70_W0QQitemZ140297244583QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item140297244583&amp;_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&amp;_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
  • Options

<< <i>It is not mine but a non FS 07/08 PCGS MS70 is now listed with no reserve. Should show something about real strength of market.. >>

image This thread is about the 2008-W ASE's with the reverse of 2007. That's a different animal, a 2006 reverse Proof. LINK
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Hey... your link is to a 2006 reverse proof? Those have really dropped in price. That coin was my first ebay sale, I only had a feedback of (3) and it went on bids for $940.00
  • Options
    Sorry.........I linked the wrong coin.
    I think it is now correct 2008 with 2007 Rev. PCGS MS70......................
  • Options
    Any one still thinks that having the "First Strike" Label is nothing but b.s.? Think again.....eBay Link

( Not my auctions ) Compare that to the non F/S 70 completed auctions....huge difference
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! That's insane!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any one still thinks that having the "First Strike" Label is nothing but b.s.? Think again.....eBay Link

( Not my auctions ) Compare that to the non F/S 70 completed auctions....huge difference >>

I didn't like it at first because it is a distinction without a real basis but now I try to collect them also. Maybe I just like the flag.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any one still thinks that having the "First Strike" Label is nothing but b.s.? Think again.....eBay Link

( Not my auctions ) Compare that to the non F/S 70 completed auctions....huge difference >>

I've never said it was b.s., just not worth it , to me. It's a coin and everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Some friends like lobster. I'm happy with crab legs.
  • Options

Not to seem pissy or anything like that but to the folks that bought these at the $3,000 and $4,000+ levels, this auction has got to be rather frightening!

Yes, that is a lot of money for a single coin but please remember that the winning bid is nowhere near what these HAD been selling at.

Unfortunately, I did not save screen prints but I did save a list of the MS70 First Strike™ sales:

MS70 2008 Rev 2007 First Strike Sales

$2,888.88 – 5/22/2008
    $3,437.33 – 5/23/2008
    $5,900.00 – 5/24/2008
    $4,850.00 – 5/30/2008
    $4,950.00 – 6/2/2008

And then there are these Teletrade Auctions:

Auction

Auction

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19L .... did you do a comparison at that time between the FS & non F/S coins? ..... Today .... the non F/S coins are selling below $1500
  • Options

<< <i>19L .... did you do a comparison at that time between the FS & non F/S coins? ..... Today .... the non F/S coins are selling below $1500 >>

No. I was just watching the biggies.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

That bid right now of $2182 is going to be a great price in a years time. If you can afford it, buy it.
  • Options
    I may be jaded, but it seems everytime someone says "All Aboard" and I jump on the train, the wheels fall off and I never get to the next

station. Then they won't refund my ticket, I end up taking the bus, and never get to enjoy the trip....I'm not jumping onto "this" train, I'll

see some of you on the bus! I don't know if anyone noticed, but on this particular auction that has been linked today, almost every bid

was from one (1) person. There was an earlier thread posted today that was asking the question (poll) of "how many times do you bid

on an item to keep the prices up (ostensibly to hold your own collections value intact or enhanced) Just a coincidence? Do you

think someone is artificially holding the value of the PCGS 1st Strikes up ? I thought there was something strange about that poll as did

others that responded to it......anyway.....the bus driver just said "all aboard"....can't seem to get away from the "conductors" in this world.

....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I may be jaded, but it seems everytime someone says "All Aboard" and I jump on the train, the wheels fall off and I never get to the next

station. Then they won't refund my ticket, I end up taking the bus, and never get to enjoy the trip....I'm not jumping onto "this" train, I'll

see some of you on the bus! I don't know if anyone noticed, but on this particular auction that has been linked today, almost every bid

was from one (1) person. There was an earlier thread posted today that was asking the question (poll) of "how many times do you bid

on an item to keep the prices up (ostensibly to hold your own collections value intact or enhanced) Just a coincidence? Do you

think someone is artificially holding the value of the PCGS 1st Strikes up ? I thought there was something strange about that poll as did

others that responded to it......anyway.....the bus driver just said "all aboard"....can't seem to get away from the "conductors" in this world.

image >>

luckyman,

You don't sound very "LUCKY"! imageimage

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Lucky in Love...it's not easy to have it all.....but I will take lucky in Love image

p.s. it's interesting to me that you didn't respond at all to my assertation that the "artificial" values placed on 1st Strike coins, especially

the 2008 reverse 2007 MS70's as relates to this thread, are simply not going to last, that people will end up taking the bus (NGC) for a

lower fare and still get to their destination (a coin graded MS70). The fact that one person bid several times against himself on the auction

that was linked today does not bode well for the future values. Again, look up the thread (poll) that was posted earlier today about "how

many times do you bid on an item simply to raise or hold the values of that coin?" (paraphrased) Other people here responded the same

way that I did, that it sounded like a strange question to ask. It was stated later in that thread by the poster that he was referring to

auction house types of bidding not Ebay necessarily....but the inference was there....and coincidentally, this 1st Strikes coin was receiving

bids at a 7/1 ratio by one bidder.....I leave it to you to put it together....
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options

The guy that got it for $2425 got a good deal . The bids against themselves are just a buyer trying to overtake another buyer.
  • Options
    6600........Here we come!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in a whole stack of these for spot review last week. The spots were very small and will probably not downgrade but I sent in every single 08/07 I had left just to be sure. I know my two MS70's are going to downgrade.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Hate those spots.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I did everything I could. They are kept in a cool and dark place, I have them in vacuum bags, and they were problem free when they went into their current location.

I feel kinda bad having to put PCGS on the line with them but business is business. I wonder if PCGS sells the coins they buy back to those TV coin shows ...image
  • Options
    I'm waiting on my last order of 16 which I made after Manorcourtman's post about receiving some with his recent order.

I'm not feeling particularly confident right now.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hate those spots. >>

YaHa....you are scaring the forum with that avatar!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

<< <i>

YaHa....you are scaring the forum with that avatar!!!!!

image >>

Me sorry. I have to wait to the 15th to get my other one I like on here. I pissed someone off and they zapped my WildECoyote.

Again me sorry. If A man looking like that is near your girlfriend or wife bedroom,close the door and go watch hockey or ESPN untils she's done.image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

In a few years when all of these thousands of slabbed coins are all spotted up, the ones left in OGP may bring the big bucks. Just checked mine . . . still pristine in their little Mint boxes! image

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Hey fellows do you think it is still a PCGS slab issue? Or is it happening much at the other TPGs..
  • Options
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of returning a 07 rev raw coin that I purchased on ebay.It has three small spots on the obverse-right lower field,and two on Liberty's right lower skirt.
  • Options
    I had planned to go to the Long Beach Show, which opened to the public today, but (no) thanks to an old broken molar which has flared up and now needs to be yanked.. oww.. sigh.. an oral surgeon is gonna get the money I might have spent on coins.. grr.. sigh.. oww.. c'est la vie.. so if any of you kids or old codgers are going to or have been at or plan to go to the show, and see any 08/07s in any kinda slab at any grades or raw, for sale at dealers' tables, please report prices and how many you notice.. I kinda suspect there won't be many there.. also please ask any dealers who have any for sale what their current buy prices are for raws, 69s, or 70s.. I'm just curious.. not selling my last one..

Yours Truly,
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>Is this typical??? >>

I've only been watching NGC 69s (blue or brown label..) .. since one of those (blue = Early Release).. is all I have left.. and they've been going from the mid $300s to one that went for $799.99 a couple of weeks ago with a "Buy it Now".. definitely a fluke.. typical price of 69s seems to be in the $400.00 to $450.00 range, with a few a bit below, and a few a bit above.. someone "stole" one for $299.99 a couple weeks ago, docmented here earlier..

Mr. $799.99 seller, apparently over-joyed at his good luck, got overly-optimistic, baited his hook, cast his line into the lake, and listed another at $999.99 "Buy it Now" but got no takers.. so he re-listed at $799.99.. nothing.. I think he got lucky once and that was it.. if you look at closed auctions, you'll see some sell in the $450.00 range while others that closed within hours with a fixed price in the same neighborhood got no takers.. go figure..

Harv

• Options

<< <i>

I've only been watching NGC 69s (blue or brown label..) .. since one of those (blue = Early Release).. is all I have left.. and they've been going from the mid $300s to one that went for $799.99 a couple of weeks ago with a "Buy it Now".. definitely a fluke.. typical price of 69s seems to be in the $400.00 to $450.00 range, with a few a bit below, and a few a bit above.. someone "stole" one for $299.99 a couple weeks ago, docmented here earlier..

Mr. $799.99 seller, apparently over-joyed at his good luck, got overly-optimistic, baited his hook, cast his line into the lake, and listed another at $999.99 "Buy it Now" but got no takers.. so he re-listed at $799.99.. nothing.. I think he got lucky once and that was it.. if you look at closed auctions, you'll see some sell in the $450.00 range while others that closed within hours with a fixed price in the same neighborhood got no takers.. go figure..

Harv >>

Harv,

My heart goes out to yah!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Harv >>

Harv,

My heart goes out to yah!!!! image >>

AAUAAUAUAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!! image

ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    Ok so I was goofing around and Popped in a Bid with about 2 or 3 seconds to go...I was the high bidder at 979.00 for 1 second, my max bid was 1,010.00, Was this a good buy price?, I haven't really been looking but thought it was low...08/07 Reverse PCGS MS 70 Link Just Sold for $1,035.00
  • Options

<< <i>Ok so I was goofing around and Popped in a Bid with about 2 or 3 seconds to go...I was the high bidder at 979.00 for 1 second, my max bid was 1,010.00, Was this a good buy price?, I haven't really been looking but thought it was low...08/07 Reverse PCGS MS 70 Link Just Sold for $1,035.00 >>

Is that a good price?.. The seller's gonna be crying all the way to the Post office..

• Options

<< <i>Is that a good price?.. The seller's gonna be crying all the way to the Post office.. >>

Not if he got it from the Mint. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

I would be crying if I let a MS70 from PCGS get away for that price no matter what I owned it for.
  • Options
    Here's another one from today, seemed they have dropped quite a bit Link PCGS 2008 Reverse 2007 MS70 Sold 1,025.00.
  • Options

Now is not the time to sell these treasures.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Who started this thread ?

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Some mainiac.
  • Options
    I hate to say it but the current market price for non FS PCGS MS70s may be in range of $1000-1200.

There is one closing in 4 hours that has all the right features to say whatever it sells for is the market................
    By right features I mean its a 10 day auction with good pictures and highlighted listing ending at best time from a seller with 1,500..........100% feedback.

No its not mine but I'm afraid if it sells low we won't be able to wish it away with all the usual excuses for a failed auction.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to sat it but the current market price for non FS PCGS MS70s may be in range of $1000-1200.

There is one closing in 4 hours that has all the right features to say whatever it sells for is the market................
    By right features I mean its a 10 day auction with good pictures and highlighted listing ending at best time from a seller with 1,500..........100% feedback.

No its not mine but I'm afraid if it sells low we won't be able to wish it away with all the usual excuses for a failed auction. >>

MS70FS's getting barely over $400. image

Edited to add: I meant MS69FS....big ooops!!!!
  • Options

The 1st strikes 70's are going to be a good coin in later years. I would not sell into this market unless you really need the money.
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file