Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Tony, welcome back from the land of the lost!!!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "First Strike" label for this coin sure makes a difference in the selling price.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was very surprised that the 2008 Silver Eagle with the 2007 reverse was not included in the 2010 Red Book.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the reason for the above may be due to the printing deadline for the 2010 Red Book release. It makes sense.
    It will probably show up in the 2011 book release. >>

Huh? image
    This coin came out over a year ago which should have been plenty of time to incorporate it into any Redbooks.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Hm...looks like all that flack I was getting about a year ago about contacting all the major coin institutions to get this variety legitimized has proven to be just rubbish. I also was surprised that this coin wasn't in the 2010 Red Book. Maybe because not more people made an effort to inform them that they should have? Oh well, it's only another year before we get a second chance. >>

Woo Hoo! Its Mr. Koo!

Where you been Tony?

Also, I see that your posting technique has not changed over the past year. Still editing each post. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I was able to read his (Tony's) post perhaps 2 minutes after he posted it, prior to his editing it. He was still logged on (orange bulb was on, I was shocked). I said to myself, 'Holy S**T, its HIM'.

Hm...looks like all that flack I was getting about a year ago about contacting all the major coin institutions to get this variety legitimized has proven to be just rubbish.

I GUARANTEE he changed the original wording, and I CAN'T give it verbatim, but he changed it to a more 'told ya so' by changing the original word to 'rubbish'. His original post still had the 'puffy chest' thing to it, but he changed it to a 'puffy chest told ya so' thing going on. I find it a very amusing post from the original to the edited one. I DO wish I could recall the word, but he DID change it to 'rubbish'. I chuckled....thanks Tony!!

Congrats to Mr. Nanney! I owe HIM some thanks as well, for allowing me to get in early, and sell at the former peak pricing. Thanks to Mr. Nanney, I managed to make a few extra bucks!
  • Options
    Ah ****. Hey, get off my back about editing. I have a right to revise any of my messages if I choose to do so.

I've been out of the coin collecting world this past year because I've been settling a dispute with Microsoft's Cashback program, which was finally concluded a couple of weeks ago. Now that I've let fee up a bunch of money that was tied up due to the dispute, I can finally restart assembling my ASE collection again. I still have my 4 NGC 70's.

"I told you so"? Damn right I told you so! This coin was made public back in April '08. That should have given Red Book plenty of time to include it in the '10 edition. The reason they didn't was because they thought it was too insignificant to do so. If they did include it, the value of this coin could have only gone up.

As for my posting style, if it offends you...GOOD! People need to get a little offended sometimes. At least it'll show you you're still alive. One of these days, I'll have to contact Red Book again to see what's up. Maybe some of you should too.
  • Options
    But.......But..............But.............you're so much fun to ride Tony!

And in all seriousness, welcome back. I'm glad you got you're Cashback problems cleared up and I know that you were not alone in that venture. The rules were a little iffy at best!

As for the Redbook, write em again and don;t wait. DO like that fellow did in the Shawshank Redemption, write em a letter a week but I would not expect the price to go up just because the coin is listed in the Redbook as the folks that collect SAE's already know about them and they know the current values of them and any new collectors will stumble across them.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    All right, I'm a bit confused. I just called Whitman Publishing and spoke to a woman about this coin. She seems to think that it's already in the 2010 Redbook...28,000 minted, uncirculated. I don't have a copy of the Redbook with me, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in there the last time I looked. Can someone that has the Redbook handy confirm?
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome Lee. It was never my intent to stop collecting. Just got sidetracked with personal finance issues. As for the Redbook, all I'm saying is that given the choice of having this coin in it or not, I'd still prefer to have it in it. It may not affect the value at all, but it definitely wouldn't make it drop.
  • Options

Tony is back guys!
    Time to bring back a great thread for a little rerun!
    Who's still holding a bunch of these?

I still have one PCGS first strike MS70
    one NGC early release MS70
    nine PCGS first strike MS69's

How about you?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest ending auctions are around $380 for 69's + or -.
    Still a healthy profit if u purchased them from the Mint.
    Happy 4th,
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Who would have ever thought...These would be so huge....John Nanney, your still the man........image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    8000 before yearend ???
  • Options

<< <i>The latest ending auctions are around $380 for 69's + or -.
    Still a healthy profit if u purchased them from the Mint.
    Happy 4th,
    Scott >>

That's where I got mine!
  • Options
    I sold all of mine except one raw. Did quite well with the rest.

Nice to see you back Tony.
  • Options

I think it will pay off in the future to hold these.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this coin reached stability in the coin world at, or around where it first started trading ?
    $300 ? $400 ? Where we at ? About the same as the reverse proofs or what ?

• Options
    <<Has this coin reached stability in the coin world at, or around where it first started trading ?>>

This seems to be the norm as of late $375-$400
    Not the best time to be selling IMO.

aselink
  • Options
    I still have 2 first strike PCGS MS70's and two regular strike MS70's.... No spots or marks yet on 1st strikes...
    I noticed the pop report decreased for the 1st strikes... probably due to spotting.

MS67-1 MS68-2 MS-69 1,511 MS70- 169 TOTAL GRADED 1ST STRIKES-1,683

I think the 1st strikes were 181 at one time...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tony is back guys!
    Time to bring back a great thread for a little rerun!
    Who's still holding a bunch of these?

I still have one PCGS first strike MS70
    one NGC early release MS70
    nine PCGS first strike MS69's

How about you? >>

I sold quite a few but still hold 5....one is a PCGS 70.

R95
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I still have 4 NGC 70's ER, although one of them has a little toning (I bought it that way from a seller who didn't disclose it in his ebay auction). I don't expect to sell these in the near future...unless I need to finance more purchases of other coins.

I'm actually a little surprised at how well this coin has held up in terms of value, all things considered.
  • Options
    Considering that there is a relatively "known" mintage, I'm not really that surprised.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Anything new on these ????

It's been over a year , is the market still strong , or has

interest wanned...

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything new on these ????

It's been over a year , is the market still strong , or has

interest wanned...

Dan >>

Prices still dropping .... FS in the $400 range....non FS....less than $400
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

I believe that this is just a temporary drop as there has been nothing happening on the silver eagle front yet this year. When the mint decides to release this years coins interest will heat up again.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that this is just a temporary drop as there has been nothing happening on the silver eagle front yet this year. When the mint decides to release this years coins interest will heat up again. >>

Not so sure about that.
    Like with the 2006 20th Annv set for the SAEs, these have the potential to keep dropping as people that really want them likely have them. People that hoarded them have released a number of them for a nice healthy profit.
    Folks that collect SAEs but don't feel these are a necessity either don't care about them or won't pay much of a premium for one.

So, I believe the majority of the base is already there. It is likely that a release of SAEs (W's and proofs) would greatly impact these this year and I can envision the price continuing to decline.

Just my thoughts having watched of few of the "fads" from the last few years

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that this is just a temporary drop as there has been nothing happening on the silver eagle front yet this year. When the mint decides to release this years coins interest will heat up again. >>

Not so sure about that.
    Like with the 2006 20th Annv set for the SAEs, these have the potential to keep dropping as people that really want them likely have them. People that hoarded them have released a number of them for a nice healthy profit.
    Folks that collect SAEs but don't feel these are a necessity either don't care about them or won't pay much of a premium for one.

So, I believe the majority of the base is already there. It is likely that a release of SAEs (W's and proofs) would greatly impact these this year and I can envision the price continuing to decline.

Just my thoughts having watched of few of the "fads" from the last few years >>

I believe this is most likely the case in the immediate future.
  • Options

We will know once the 09's are released, if they ever are.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I'm still hanging on to my one, lonely, NGC MS69 Blue Label "Early Releases" and watch the prices of NGC MS69s on eBay.. prices are all over the freakin' place.. I've seen a couple go as low as $350.00.. but one sold yesterday for about $440.00 with a "Best Offer" on a "Buy it Now or.." listing.. and that was a Brown Label NON Early Releases.. (the "s" is not superflulous.. NGC calls the Blue Label ones "Early Releases" on the slab, not "Early Release"..

So what I'm seeing, on eBay, on NGC MS69s, Brown OR Blue Label.. is about a $100.00 spread.. with an occasional fluke going for less than $350.00 or higher than $450.00..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

Prices still look decent after a year and one half. I don't think I will complain about my 9 first strike 69's and 1 first strike 70 which I got from the mint. I did pay $350 for my early release 70 though. I guess I won't make as much on that one but still won't complain when the time comes. The 3 first strike 69's I sold brought me $600 apiece. Not bad for $25.95 each. The mint was very kind to me last year.
  • Options
    I still have a bunch of NGC 70's. I sell one every couple of months. Sold almost all of my 69's though. All bought from the Mint.....

No regrets here.....
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    It has been quiet ..anyone have the current bid / ask for the 2008/07 Silver Eagle ?
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Sorry look at my other thread.

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>It has been quiet ..anyone have the current bid / ask for the 2008/07 Silver Eagle ? >>

Hope this helps.. Add $50/$75 to a PCGS graded 69 coin.

08/07ASEspricetrendnow >>

Add $50/$75 dollars to a PCGS graded 70 coin.

Also I have seen First strike PCGS 70's still going over $1,500/$2,000 and NGC early releases around $1,200..

08/07ms70pricetrend

• Options

As far as I can see it is holding very nicely after a year and a half, especially the 70's.
  • Options
    I wonder what these will do given the fact that no 2009-W's will be produced?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Have you noticed a slight increase in the selling price of these coins lately since the mint made it's stupid decision to not make the 2009's.

I have been watching all of the W's and they do appear to be on the rise.
  • Options
    I actually hadn't noticed.

BTW, anybody know what happened to YaHa?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Well Dang!

It looks like George (aka YaHa) went and got himself bammed!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    These appear to sill have legs.
    Still holding some, how about you?
    scott
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I've got two... was lucky enough to order 4 ASE's not long after I read about Nanney's find, and the NGC article, and of the four, 2 were of the '07 Reverse.

They're still OGP, am not sure about getting these graded, but there's always time. I wanted to see if, indeed, these have legs, and make the call at a later time.
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    I had a 50/50 lucky draw on those, too. Had 6 of them... read the thread and discovered that 3 out of 6 were '07 reverses. Sold two in the $350 range and just kept the one for myself.

This thread is like seeing an old, old friend. image
  • Options

I originally got 12 from the mint. Bought and sold a few along the way. Had all mine graded. Still hold 9 PCGS first strike 69's, 1 first strike 70, and 1 NGC early release 70. This is a good coin to hold for a few years.
  • Options
    I have been selling one every month or so and the last price received was just over $400 for the 69 and just under $700 for the 70 (all NGC). I only have 2 MS69's left (both ER) but have 11 70's (6 ER).

These have held up very well.....all (except for 3 69's which I sold already) purchased from the Mint

Modern Crap CAN be your friend image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see them advertised anymore in the "rags."
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Odd that this was pulled up.

I was just debating whether to keep or to sell
    and maybe put the $$$ into something else. image

In the meantime, it's safe right where it is. image
  • Options

Unless you need to sell them I would not at this point.
  • Options
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I still have three that I'll just hold for a while.

1 - Raw
    1 - PCGS 69 non-FS
    1 - NGC 69 ER

Got 8 from the Mint originally. Sold a handful of raw ones.
    Graded the best two and ended up with a PCGS 70 which I sold
    this past January for a nice profit. Grabbed a couple early on the BST
    for around $200 - $250 as well.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    I had nineteen, and sold all but one that I will keep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file