Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• The seller was silver eagle coin co. www.silver-eagle-coins.com. Looked up my ebay invoice and it was $288.00 instead of $299.99. Had a chance to buy more but only went for one. I received it from pcgs this week. On the shared pages. 3934720.
    givemearum
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS 70 F/S Just sold for $2,458

eBay Link

Yup..that's about $1k more than what the non FS are selling for. Another reason to pay the additional $14 for that label...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    This one's available on Jeremey's annual auction for charity!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You-hoo! Is anybody still out there? >>

I'm your huckleberry.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS 70 F/S Just sold for $2,458

eBay Link

Yup..that's about $1k more than what the non FS are selling for. Another reason to pay the additional $14 for that label... >>

I still think these have a higher ceiling on them because there are so few of them.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Don't worry, the price is going TO DA MOON once the new Red Book comes out ! ! !

Regards,

John >>

Tony? Is that you?

I hope you're right John, but I still think it'll take some time to increase.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

Hey, I'm only 69, so I have plenty of time.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS just bought my only two MS70's for $1250, I guess I should have sold them in their slabs with a few spots...

I hope that was each,if not, ask for them back.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope that was each,if not, ask for them back. >>

It doesn't work that way. Once PCGS determines the coins are downgrades, they get reslabbed and all the squirming in the world will not get them back into their 70 holders.

At least he'll get his downgraded coins back. What did they downgrade to Jessewvu?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

wow! We are already down in numbers on these coins. I am glad I have mine double wrapped.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One downgraded to MS65, one to MS69. I took the cashback on the 65 and asked for the 69 back with a little juice. I WISH I would have sold them when they were first graded, in the $2k range each for non first strike.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    If PCGS used Intercept Shield [tm] inserts like ICG does, or if you had kept them stored in IS slab boxes, would it have stopped the spotting, or is the spotting just inevitable on SOME of these ASEs?.. My NGC MS69 ER, one of the very first ones graded last year, is still spot-free.. and it IS in an IS-lined individual slab holder.. although I have no idea if that made any difference or not, or if some of these are simply doomed to develop spots to begin with and nothing will prevent it.. and why some and not others?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS just bought my only two MS70's for $1250, I guess I should have sold them in their slabs with a few spots... >>

Tell them you want first dibs at buying them back at the same price after they get the spots off!

I don't have spots on any of mine. I do live in a very dry climate. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Quad-6's image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS just bought my only two MS70's for $1250, I guess I should have sold them in their slabs with a few spots... >>

Tell them you want first dibs at buying them back at the same price after they get the spots off! >>

If they are milk spots I don't believe anybody's getting them off. Aren't these permanent?

Sorry to hear the news Jesse! I'm glad I got rid of my one non-FS 70!

I just checked my SDB last week and both my PCGS 69 and NGC 69 ER look fine so far.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10

<< <i>I don't have spots on any of mine. I do live in a very dry climate. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. >>

None of mine have spots either (fingers crossed) and the humidity here is always high. Leads me to believe there is something the mint does differently from time to time that causes them to show up.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    All of mine have spots!

Drool spots..................image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have spots on any of mine. I do live in a very dry climate. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. >>

me too. I have over 80 eagles and not one spot??
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

• << <i>

me too. I have over 80 eagles and not one spot?? >>

Because you kept them raw, that's why.

I have about 300 eagles with no spots. There are some graded by PCGS,some by NGC and about 2/3 rd's are raw. I sure don't know what the answer is. I am just a happy camper!
  • WOW ... 30 pages back to find this tread........

My computer has been down for about 5 days , and in that time some grades

came in ! MS70 FS on my UHR ( no big deal , as most are ) , Also sent a raw 08 rev. 07

It's coming back a 70 ! ............. I have plenty of raw ASE's ( no spots ) Also 2 ms69 08 rev. 07 ( NGC )

with no spots . Should I do something different with this 70 ?

If I decide to sell it ( B-4 it spots ) , can somebody tell me the going price ?

Thanks , Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

PCGS 70's are still bringing $1500 or better NGCs are in the $6 to 750 range
  • I'm glad I sold all of my graded 2008 Reverse 2007 coins. Right now I only have three raw left and they are going to stay that way.
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I got lucky... out of the four I'd ordered at the time - about a year ago today, in fact - I received two with the '07 Reverse... they're still raw, and I expect they'll stay that way, too.

Considering the risk of spotting, seems more prudent to KEEP them raw, since I planned to keep them regardless....
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    How did we miss this one? At least the seller admitted his price was stupid...link to stupid price lisitng, Maybe he was drinking?

That was a dumb move listing without a set price.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    It was listed for a set price, BUYITNOW for $159.00image

<< <i>It was listed for a set price, BUYITNOW for $159.00image >>

Yup & it took 20 minutes into the listing for some one (unfortunately not me) to grab it.
    How in the world did you guys catch that one with his goofball title?.. I never would've found it.. image

Everyone in this thread who sits around searching eBay more than 2304982039481 hours a day for sellers selling $450.00 - $500.00 coins at a fixed price of a third their value, raise your paw..

All I can say for missing that one is..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

<< <i>It was listed for a set price, BUYITNOW for $159.00image >>

It was still a dumb move!!

Happy 1 Year of this discovery!

WOW! Been a year already and the prices are still holding steady.

Congrad's to everyone who has held on to theirs!

Happy Anniversary to John Nanney and the whole crew! image
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! It'd be nice to get this thread pushed over 7k today! image

AND I believe this is my 1000th post, which I wanted to make on this thread ! ! !

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the double, John.
    Rather than mention it in the giveaway thread and get off topic,
    I'll make a comment here...

The 95-W goes for a ton (4K?) with a mintage of 30,000.

This coin has a max mintage of 46K+.
    The real question will be if/when people decide they "need" it to complete their
    collections. Then the values will rise. Right now, they still don't know they "need" it. image
    Fewer and fewer, at least NGC MS69s, ER or "brown label" listed on eBay.. prices lately have been at the bottom end of $4xx.xx.. then someone lists one yesterday at a "Buy it Now" of $499.99 and it's sold the same day.. these things still have legs..
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    That's great to hear, especially with alot of the moderns dropping.
    Haven't followed them much lately.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fewer and fewer, at least NGC MS69s, ER or "brown label" listed on eBay.. prices lately have been at the bottom end of $4xx.xx.. then someone lists one yesterday at a "Buy it Now" of $499.99 and it's sold the same day.. these things still have legs.. >>

I am still looking for the 47,000 eagles of the 2008/07s ??? prices are indeed holding ..looked thru several dealers to buy 10 in the last 2 weeks
  • Nice that this thread comes back to life every month image

<< <i>That's great to hear, especially with alot of the moderns dropping.
    Haven't followed them much lately.

Regards,

John >>

The US Mint pushed back my order for two Lincoln Silver $ Uncs again.. to 18 May, 2009.. I've been watching them on eBay.. despite a six-week sell-out, the highest prices I've seen for Raws is in the $60.00 - $70.00 range.. not quite double issue price.. PCGS MS70s, about $120.00 to $150.00.. in other words.. these ain't no Buffalo $s.. (which sold out in two weeks.. and I vividly remember David Hall himself listed the first PCGS PR70 DCAM on eBay and got something like $2400.00 for it..).. those are still going in the $300.00 neighborhood for raws, although 70s have dropped in price to about a grand.. I used to have a bunch.. currently, the only Buffalo $ I have left is in the Unc. in a Coin and Currency set.. sold all the others years ago.. oddly enough, I've seen the one-sided $5.00 Intaglio repro of the 1899 (?) Indian Chief note out of that C&C set.. slabbed by PCGS' paper money arm.. whatever they're called.. can't remember.. PCCS or PCS or something like that.. (of all the things I've lost.. I miss my mind the most..)..

I think it was in a recent TeleTrade auction and it went for fairly high money.. for a one-sided repro.. slabbed 69 or 70..

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations again John for one of the most fun, exciting, and $$ discoveries in quite a while (since hi-lo leafs).

PLEASE discover another COOL variety so we can do it again!! AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    PCGS FS 69's are holding steady in the $450 range. Give it another 6 - 12 month & I think they will start climbing back into the $500 range. PCGS FS 70's are holding steady in the $2000+ range ( not surprising with only 161 graded )
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Was very surprised that the 2008 Silver Eagle with the 2007 reverse was not included in the 2010 Red Book.

• CollectorManCollectorMan Posts: 241 ✭✭

Was very surprised that the 2008 Silver Eagle with the 2007 reverse was not included in the 2010 Red Book.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the reason for the above may be due to the printing deadline for the 2010 Red Book release. It makes sense. It will probably show up in the 2011 book release.
  • Hm...looks like all that flack I was getting about a year ago about contacting all the major coin institutions to get this variety legitimized has proven to be just rubbish. I also was surprised that this coin wasn't in the 2010 Red Book. Maybe because not more people made an effort to inform them that they should have? Oh well, it's only another year before we get a second chance.
    Congratulations John!
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file