Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• I still have three as well, two PCGS 70's and a raw.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I had nineteen, and sold all but one that I will keep. >>

Are you enjoying your new Mercedes?.. NINETEEN!?.. did you get them all as raws from The Mint for.. uhh.. whatever pittance the price was?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I think they were about $25 from the Mint. Some people here got a hundred or so from the Mint if my memory serves me right.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they were about $25 from the Mint. Some people here got a hundred or so from the Mint if my memory serves me right. >>

Which reminds me I really screwed up by not ordering a hundred! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they were about $25 from the Mint. Some people here got a hundred or so from the Mint if my memory serves me right. >>

Which reminds me I really screwed up by not ordering a hundred! image >>

I ordered some from The Mint, but caught this thread probably just a couple of days after the window of opportunity to get them at issue price had slammed shut.. all I got were normal coins.. I returned them with the [x] changed my mind excuse.. sigh..

Then John Maben's Modern Coin Mart started selling NGC MS69 Early Releases for $140.00 when he first offered them (MS70s were $299.00).. so I bought a bunch of those from him.. sold all but one for over $450.00 when they were selling at their peak.. and kept just one, which I still have..

Watching eBay prices, the NGC MS69s still go for from anywhere between roughly $350.00 on the low end to over $450.00 on the high end.. the ERs seems to bring a higher price, all other things being equal.. I never owned any in PCGS plastic.. prices have come down a bit in the year and a half since they were first discovered, but NOT radically lower.. maybe 10% - 15% - 20% lower, on average.. eBay is truly nuts.. I'll watch a $375.00 "Buy it Now" not sell.. and then the next day, someone will "Buy it Now" a different one, for over $400.00.. go figure.. I can't..

I remember when they were first discovered, Coast to Coast was offering $600.00 for raws.. and selling them for $650.00.. I think..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

It's been an amazing ride. It was a great time to be involved even though I didn't sell many. I still have them and will hold them for now I guess. I offered some for sale last week on the BST but there was no interest.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which reminds me I really screwed up by not ordering a hundred! image >>

I ordered some from The Mint, but caught this thread probably just a couple of days after the window of opportunity to get them at issue price had slammed shut.. all I got were normal coins.. I returned them with the [x] changed my mind excuse.. sigh..

Then John Maben's Modern Coin Mart started selling NGC MS69 Early Releases for $140.00 when he first offered them (MS70s were $299.00).. so I bought a bunch of those from him.. sold all but one for over $450.00 when they were selling at their peak.. and kept just one, which I still have..

Watching eBay prices, the NGC MS69s still go for from anywhere between roughly $350.00 on the low end to over $450.00 on the high end.. the ERs seems to bring a higher price, all other things being equal.. I never owned any in PCGS plastic.. prices have come down a bit in the year and a half since they were first discovered, but NOT radically lower.. maybe 10% - 15% - 20% lower, on average.. eBay is truly nuts.. I'll watch a $375.00 "Buy it Now" not sell.. and then the next day, someone will "Buy it Now" a different one, for over $400.00.. go figure.. I can't..

I remember when they were first discovered, Coast to Coast was offering $600.00 for raws.. and selling them for $650.00.. I think.. >>

I can't remember if it was GVC or MCM but when the discovery hit I was on the computer checking pricing and the first offering price was $68 each, it was a Saturday morning....At that same time there was also an Ebay listing up and ending within a few hours or so..I had a watch on it and at the time it was around $130ish....Well, my wife was yelling at me because I had to take my daughter to Horse Back Riding so I hurried up and placed my "Big" order at the $68 price.....When I'd gotten back I checked the listing to see what it ended at...IIRC...It ended at......$512.00....image....Now guess how many were in my Big order.....image
    I remember the $68 level and decided that it was just a flash in the pan and kind of went about my business. I did have an order in at the mint for 12 . When they arrived they were all error coins. I got them off to PCGS immediately and got 1 MS70 and 11 MS69's all first strike which I still have 10 of and the 1 MS70. I did buy 1 NGC MS 70 ER for $399 which I also still hold.

<< <i>I can't remember if it was GVC or MCM but when the discovery hit I was on the computer checking pricing and the first offering price was $68 each, it was a Saturday morning....At that same time there was also an Ebay listing up and ending within a few hours or so..I had a watch on it and at the time it was around $130ish....Well, my wife was yelling at me because I had to take my daughter to Horse Back Riding so I hurried up and placed my "Big" order at the $68 price.....When I'd gotten back I checked the listing to see what it ended at...IIRC...It ended at......$512.00....image....Now guess how many were in my Big order.....image >>

I'm no good at guessing.. just tell us.. and when you say "big order".. how many are you talking about?.. was that an eBay buy or raws from The Mint?.. your wording is either a bit confusing, or I woke up stupid..
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    The ones offered by GVC or MCM were NGC Early releases MS69's...at $68 each...I kinda think it was GVC cause it was under the heading Deal of the Day...The one listed on Ebay was the same coin, an NGC er 69 listed by MCM which ended at $512ish......So how many did I throw in the cart at $68? Was it 10, 20, 30???

Scroll down.....

Keep going.......

OK, the Big spender ordered 1......image

• << <i>The ones offered by GVC or MCM were NGC Early releases MS69's...at $68 each...I kinda think it was GVC cause it was under the heading Deal of the Day...The one listed on Ebay was the same coin, an NGC er 69 listed by MCM which ended at $512ish......So how many did I throw in the cart at $68? Was it 10, 20, 30???

Scroll down.....

Keep going.......

OK, the Big spender ordered 1......image >>

Ha Ha I knew you were going to say 1.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
    My initial subscription was for 10 coins which were all normal reverses.

After the news broke, I ordered 4 more ( big whoopee) or which all four were 08/07. I immediately ordered 4 more ( another brave and intrepid leap into the unknown! Yeah Right!) or which 3 were 08/07.

By the time ole Mr. Stupid here figured that ordering 100 would have been ultra beneficial, it was too late. Subsequent orders were all normal reverses and I promised myself to never be that naive ever again.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless you need to sell them I would not at this point. >>

I agree. Let them season a bit like "Jackie Robinson" did.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it time to change the title of the thread yet????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Is it time to change the title of the thread yet????

image >>

Yeah.. how about "No Guts, no Glory"?.. or.. "How I looked a gift horse in the mouth and my butt is still black and blue from kicking myself"..

One at $68.00?.. Now I don't feel so bad..

Thanks..
    Harv
  • SO I get this email about an 08/07 I have for sale on Ebay.....

The guy says he has been collecting ASE's for quite awhile and has a complete collection....

But.....what is this "Reverse of 2007 on a 2008"??? He has never heard of it......

I sent him the Mint Blog link with some info.....

The word still hasn't reached all the masses...image

No, the prices are still holding steady. This continues to be a good coin to hold especially for those of us that were lucky enough to have received ours from the mint.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    I opened up a dozen sealed boxes of 3 coins each today. I ordered and received them in late Nov early Dec 08.
    I decided recently not to sell them in the sealed box and decided to open them up today.

Well I found one! 08 reverse 07!
    In a box shipped in Dec 08 no less!
    So if anyone has late shipped sealed boxes hanging around you just may get lucky! image
    eBay realized prices on NGC MS69s, after going down for a while, are now actually going up, with some kissing up near $500.00 again..
    Almost all of them are listed as "Buy it Now"s, usually with free shipping.. those seem to sell for the highest prices.. the ones with a low start price don't get bid up as high as the "Buy it Now"s.. to me, this is interesting, but I don't know what it means.. heh.. image

I am going to be putting 9 first strike MS69's on ebay tomorrow evening (Sunday) for $595 each or best offer. I offered them on the forum and got no interest so I will sell them on the bay.
    2008 could be a very good year for 2008-W SAE's folks.

The Mint News blog reported that only 436,702 2008-W SAE's were coined. Take away the 46,318 Reverse of 07 SAE's and that only leaves you with 390,384 regular coins!

Is that the lowest mintage so far?

Has this been mentioned already?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I am going to be putting 9 first strike MS69's on ebay tomorrow evening (Sunday) for $595 each or best offer. I offered them on the forum and got no interest so I will sell them on the bay. >>

Did you list them?.. Got a link?.. No, sorry, I'm not buying.. "I like to watch".. image (from Brian de Palma's "Body Double", 198x)..

<< <i>

<< <i>I am going to be putting 9 first strike MS69's on ebay tomorrow evening (Sunday) for $595 each or best offer. I offered them on the forum and got no interest so I will sell them on the bay. >>

Did you list them?.. Got a link?.. No, sorry, I'm not buying.. "I like to watch".. image (from Brian de Palma's "Body Double", 198x).. >>

150391298305 listing #
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given this year's no-show on 2009 PSE and 09-W burnished pieces, do you think this will help the market for the 08/rev. 07's? It seems to have helped the PSE market a bit already. Also, any bets on whether 2010 models will actually get struck?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

I think they will get made and it will be in a high quantity.

It looks like I will be holding my coins for a while. No one is buying at this time and I do not intend to give them away.

<< <i>It looks like I will be holding my coins for a while. No one is buying at this time and I do not intend to give them away. >>

While I can understand and appreciate your sentiment, sometimes a collector has no other choices.

Hopefully, you are not buried too deeply because without the proper market and hype, the hole is only going to get deeper.

The name is LEE!
    Past two weeks' sales on eBay, in descending price order, using the search string "2007 rev* PCGS" (without the quotes)..

PCGS

Same search, only changing "PCGS" to "NGC"..

NGC

Obviously, all the sold and unsold 70s are listed first, then there's a gap, then come the 69s as you scroll down..

At your $595.00 asking price for PCGS 69s, you're at the highest end of the un-sold 69s.. BUT.. NGC 69s are selling for more than PCGS 69s are at their highest, and less at their lowest..

The 69s with the highest prices SEEM to be "Buy it Now"s.. I don't know what your "I'm not going to give them away" threshold is.. at $495.00, you might sell all nine in one day.. but at $595.00 you didn't sell any in a week, so the sweet spot is probably somewhere in-between..

Results will change day-to-day depending on when one looks at those links, as those older than 15 days scroll off..

This is by no means a strictly controlled science experiment, as there are way too many variables.. prices might climb as Xmas approaches.. or they might drop.. but there are more than twice as many NGCs as PCGSs, active, and closed..

I put them on this week at $550 to see what that brings. I got them from the mint so am in for cheap money.

<< <i>I put them on this week at $550 to see what that brings. I got them from the mint so am in for cheap money. >>

Well.. hey, if you get lucky, you could net about $4500.00, after fees, in one day, give or take.. I wouldn't unclog my nose at that kind of money image

Oh, I wont believe me. I still have a couple of 70's too.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay realized prices on NGC MS69s, after going down for a while, are now actually going up, with some kissing up near $500.00 again..
    Almost all of them are listed as "Buy it Now"s, usually with free shipping.. those seem to sell for the highest prices.. the ones with a low start price don't get bid up as high as the "Buy it Now"s.. to me, this is interesting, but I don't know what it means.. heh.. image >>

Probably because bidders using Bing Cashback are getting a rebate, but only if they use "Buy It Now". Same thing is happening with gold and silver bullion coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

WhyyyyyyyyyyYYyYyYy when NGC 69s are selling, in many cases, for over $450.00 would he take a "Best Offer" of.. well.. you just have to see it to believe it..

Link

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WhyyyyyyyyyyYYyYyYy when NGC 69s are selling, in many cases, for over $450.00 would he take a "Best Offer" of.. well.. you just have to see it to believe it..

Link

image >>

His profit was sufficient ? I'm just guessing.

• << <i>WhyyyyyyyyyyYYyYyYy when NGC 69s are selling, in many cases, for over $450.00 would he take a "Best Offer" of.. well.. you just have to see it to believe it..

Link

image >>

Well...he did make $8 on the Priority mail charge image

Personally I think that offer price was a steal.....Got one that will list tonight...It will be interesting to watch

Now is a good time to pick some up on the cheap with cashback at 15% today.
    use nintendo wii for a search on cashback.
  • Memorable "over 1000 post" thread......
    I'm not in buying mode, but perhaps one of you can score a steal.. ignore the title, and look at the slab and the description.. this genius put it up for one day and apparently didn't notice he under-graded in his title.. image

(not my auction)..

Link
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not in buying mode, but perhaps one of you can score a steal.. ignore the title, and look at the slab and the description.. this genius put it up for one day and apparently didn't notice he under-graded in his title.. image

(not my auction)..

Link >>

Seller does claim that the scan is a "stock photo" .... not sure what to believe ... and the "no returns" bothers me also.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sssssshhhhhh i really want this coin lol nothing to see here folks move on lol thks for the link i might stay up for this one..... sure wish i could have deleted that lol oh well off to bed put it up to 440 words out. whats your guess for the final?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Those were the days. image

I found 5 (2 at MS70) in my stack the day the word hit the street. I went through several hundred after that and found none.

I remember opening a box of 12 that were all errors. Ordered 100 more in lots of 10 and found no more. Still have them plus a few more errors I bought early on.

<< <i>I remember opening a box of 12 that were all errors. Ordered 100 more in lots of 10 and found no more. Still have them plus a few more errors I bought early on. >>

great job for finding these well 563.01 is what it went for, and just thought i would ask anyone have one of these that there willing to sell? please pm me as i would rather buy from a member here than off of ebay..........i can get one on ebay for 400 bucks not graded any help : }

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears these still have legs, still have several sittin in their OGP.
    Hopefully they will tone up nicely in 20 years. image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I still have two NGC MS 70's . I offered one on Ebay last week but no one bid my opening amount. I hope that the variety is in this year"s Redbook !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember opening a box of 12 that were all errors. Ordered 100 more in lots of 10 and found no more. Still have them plus a few more errors I bought early on. >>

great job for finding these well 563.01 is what it went for, and just thought i would ask anyone have one of these that there willing to sell? please pm me as i would rather buy from a member here than off of ebay..........i can get one on ebay for 400 bucks not graded any help : } >>

You should have bought that 70 at that price. That was a steal.I wish I had seen it.

<< <i>

You should have bought that 70 at that price. That was a steal.I wish I had seen it. >>

Yeah but.. who knows what the winner's hidden proxy bid was?.. He might have tossed a $750.00 or $900.00 bid at it.. the final price wasn't necessarily his actual bid.. just that no one out-bid his proxy bid.. why?.. Simple..

The seller made a couple of serious mistakes with this auction, which is why it went for $563.00..

He mis-titled the auction as an MS69, even though he pictured and described an MS70.. one can only assume he's honest, and that the winner actually WILL get an MS70..

Just as, if not a more serious mistake, he put it up as a one-day listing.. well, fine, there are many one-day listings, but his start price was VERY low.. people who search for and follow these barely had time to even notice it before it was gone.. if yer gonna do a one-day auction on a coin that should sell for a grand, ya don't start it at next to nothing.. one day isn't enough time for its potential bidders to even find it.. I wonder what the seller was thinking.. IMO, he wasn't.. thinking..
    i wish i would have put a final bid at 600 but hey i am new thats why i was asking what the final should be, i mean go look at pcgs priceguide there is a 1000 difference in prices from the 69 to the 70. How can that be, is there that many more 69,s i see some going raw for 400 is it worth the chance? going to watch this weekend and see where it takes me.......................

Link to My Registry Set.

The first strike 68's are listed at $550 and the 70's are $2000.

The regular 69's have gone up this week to $475.

I would pick one up pretty soon if I were you.

If you buy raw you are looking in the $400 range and are getting what somebody does not want for some reason.

The prices are trending upwards at this point.

Good luck Tommy.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off... I don't bid unless the photo is of the actual coin being sold.
    Second... I don't bid when the item has one grade in the title and another in the description/photo.

And seeing how THIS is currently being listed, I suspect they made a mistake with the picture- and someone just spent $563 for a 69. And an NGC 69 at that.

JMHO, FWIW

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file