Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

The 'Bay # 160231194746 WOW!!! Have a good one!

Can someone post a link
TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Aww... beat me to the link. Oh well. I think that bid is probably an error. They thought they were bidding on all of the coins, probably.

-Paul
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK...
    What might be a fair price to offer since this is a new discovery. I can remember when the 95 DDO Lincoln was discovered they were going for as much as $400-$500, now they can be had for a fraction of that.
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    You might be right stating the bidder thinks it's for all 20. He has a feedback of (2), so is fairly new I guess. If so he will be in for a nice surprise at the end of auction.

A $16,000 surprise!!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    New bidder might not be around when these close.....

I can see it now...Uh, honey, I just made a great coin investment, I got all 20 for 16,000.....edited to remove the annoying dancing chicken..and a spell check.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I picked the wrong year to stop collecting silver eagles. image

Looks like even if this is a bogus bid, there is potential for this variety. I used to have a standing order to get 100 of these every year and I assume that the order would have been one of the first which may have had the 07 reverse. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked the wrong year to stop collecting silver eagles. image

Looks like even if this is a bogus bid, there is potential for this variety. I used to have a standing order to get 100 of these every year and I assume that the order would have been one of the first which may have had the 07 reverse. image >>

I doubt it given the number that have already been reported. These prices simply reflect the "I gotta have it right now" folks! Thats all.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The raw one just closed for $238.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aww... beat me to the link. Oh well. I think that bid is probably an error. They thought they were bidding on all of the coins, probably.

-Paul >>

Yeah, the $800 bid has gone bye-bye.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Bid is gone now... (Someone beat me to it.)
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

I had subscriptions for 250+ coins.... no 2007 reverses.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another ploy by the Mint, or just an honest error?

Box of 25, none having the 07 reverse, damn it!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    What is the difference in the revese?

Does anyone have pics?

Rob
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    The usual ebay hysteria!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the difference in the revese?

Does anyone have pics?

Rob >>

Courtesy of ca010000 in another thread:

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That gives me 13 including the 12 I got from the mint for $25.95.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. image

...just what this series needed was a great variety. I hope it's common enough to find one.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>That gives me 13 including the 12 I got from the mint for $25.95. >>

Did anybody else who pre-ordered from the US mint find this 2007 reverse from the 2008 ASE they received ? In short is this variety easily found ? Just curious.image
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    4 out of 10 for me. Not sure when my order was placed, but I got them about a few weeks ago.

morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    When the coinworld story comes out demand will go up. When people figure out that there are more than they thought price will go down.

subwaydrive-thru got 86 of them for $12,900 plus shipping
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    My order date was 3/18. Date shipped 4/8.
    Only ordered 2 because they seemed overpriced.
    Both were '07 Rev.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've long believed that these are usually caused by the technician who
    is changing the dies forgetting which he has already changed. If he just
    changed the obverse die with the date on it and is distracted he might
    think the reverse die was changed as well if it's in good shape. There are
    numerous moderns with the wrong reverse. some are quite dramatic and
    this is one of the most dramatic.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    I got 25 a week ago.....all were 2008 w with the correct reverse.........the only different ones I got were dated 2009 w.....better luck next time I guess.

got ya! image

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Nice image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    with prices like those, ebay should be full of them in a few weeks.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's not going to turn out to be a great rarity....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    I imagine this discovery is causing an increase in orders at the mint. It will be interesting to see of orders placed today will contain any of the 07 reverses. They are "in stock" which means they have cranked out a large quantity in advance of sales. So within this batch it may be luck of the draw or maybe the batch that had the 07 reverse has already been dispersed. Who knows. This may make unopened boxes from the mint interesting down the road depending on date shipped.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I purchased some on the 'Bay when John's post came out. I ordered a few from ATS with the early release on the slab. Imagine a TPG not noticing this variety & grading coins. WTF
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    400 smackers
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a subscription for 2 2008 coins and I ordered another one a while back. They were both shipped recently so I hope I get one of the error coins!
  • Options
    I pre-ordered and none have 2007 reverses, no biggie, I bet a ton are going to show up and I will buy mine for $60 in 3 months.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Sucker play, IMHO. Why buy a kind of expensive coin when the population is very likely to go up? Still a great find in a mint order. What will happen when it milkspots?
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    What a dreary life you must lead image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeez! $400 each?

Someone's gonna be really sore in about a month!

I hope it ain't me!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone what the average die life for one of these dies?
    Wonder if it was only one mixed die or more.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    I read the posting on the Form about the 2008 W ASE coin. can any one please let me know which one is the True Reverse of 2008 W ASE which is being labeled as 2008-W Reverse of 2007 Silver Eagle NGC . Is it U or u ( which has tail).
    Thanks
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I read the posting on the Form about the 2008 W ASE coin. can any one please let me know which one is the True Reverse of 2008 W ASE which is being labeled as 2008-W Reverse of 2007 Silver Eagle NGC . Is it U or u ( which has tail).
    Thanks >>

08 u
    07 U
  • Options
    u is 2008 reverse U is 2007 reverse.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was offered a few NGC69s
  • Options
    The coin which is being labeled as 2008-W Reverse of 2007 Silver Eagle NGC has u on the 2008 coin
  • Options

<< <i>The coin which is being labeled as 2008-W Reverse of 2007 Silver Eagle NGC has u on the 2008 coin >>

What?
  • Options
    would it be funny if the u with the tail. was the rarer of the 2?
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    So is this the first variety of the ASE or the first to be spotted? Who is racing to the bank tomorrow to find out for sure?

The 2007 and 2008 reverses share an entirely different font but admittedly the U is the easiest to spot. It will be any interesting and refreshing change to the ASE's and I have to thank the Mint for f'ing up once again. Where else can you hope for governmental incompetence?

The Mint. Love and hate.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    "admittedly the U is the easiest to spot"

I'm sure it will spot easily soon!
  • Options
    So a lot of NGC 70's closes at about $375 per coin Sunday night. Just a few hours earlier a lot closed at about $300 higher per coin. It would sure suck to be a high bidder in that first batch. Seems prices are dropping already.
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    image I was in for 2 on that auction back when it was sub-$100...seeing as how we don't even know if it's a rare variety or not yet that's just stupid money IMO.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    We shall see. The only way to win is to buy EVERY piece of $&!% that the Mint sells and hope for another rebate from the gov to cover the losses.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't aware of this variety. Because I've sold almost all my ASEs due to the spotting problem, I didn't open the Mint box that contains two 2008 ASEs that shipped on March 19th. Now I'm thinking of selling this unopened box.

How can you prove that the box has the two ASEs in it? Looking at the labels on it, I don't see anything that indicates ASE. I thought there was a "Z" designation? If I sold it on the bay, how could I prove it really does have the two eagles in it? The only way I could even tell was to cross-check the USPS delivery confirmation # with the tracking # on my order history.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    MasterGunsMasterGuns Posts: 408 ✭✭
    On the subject of Unc ASE, I have 2 unopended 08s I was going to send in. Will the TPG automatically indicate the variety attribution of teh 07 reverse??
    Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
    Aviation Radar Technician
    Communications & Electronics Chief

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file