Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My order of 50 that came today was 50/50 reverse of 2008. Oh well, they are beautiful coins anyway! >>

Wow, the caboose may have already left the station. I have an order coming soon also. We will see.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    For all of you mint experts out there what would you say the life of a die is on the ASE coins. That may get us into the ballpark of how many were made.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    yeah coinsponge, I was wondering that too.

If fc is correct, somebody surely had to change-out dies, didn't they? Meaning, it wasn't a one-time accident...?

I don't know that anyone's idea of events will ever be proven correct. It's quite puzzling, for now.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all of you mint experts out there what would you say the life of a die is on the ASE coins. That may get us into the ballpark of how many were made. >>

but who is to say they only used one die? for all we know it was several dies?
    i am just guessing. at least we are talking about mint products instead of other
    off topic things.

good to have fresh news to read about here on the forum.
  • Options
    I just checked the mints comments on die life. They stated that for American Eagle bullion coins they get about 6000 strikes and on proofs only 500. Now the Uncirculated coin is probably somewhere between that. Now could more than one die been used? That is hard to say but I would think that if this was truely a mistake then it happened when an old die got mixed up with the new ones and that would be a rare occurance. My guess is that when the mint got word of this they immediately went back and checked all dies. It is possible that more than one old die was used though but I wouldn't think that many were.
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Gainesvillecoins had one auction on ebay with 100 coins. They also sold them on their web site and had multiple auctions for these coins on ebay. Moderncoinmart was also selling on their website and ebay. They were selling the ms69 for only $69.00 on Saturday April 19, 2008 (2 days after ngc posted their article) They sell the 2008 w with 2008 w reverse ms69 coin for $39.00. I think if they thought that it was going to be a rare find they would have sold them a little slower and for a bigger price. I think they are both forum members and wish they would contribute their thoughts.
  • Options

<< <i>I just checked the mints comments on die life. They stated that for American Eagle bullion coins they get about 6000 strikes and on proofs only 500. Now the Uncirculated coin is probably somewhere between that. Now could more than one die been used? That is hard to say but I would think that if this was truely a mistake then it happened when an old die got mixed up with the new ones and that would be a rare occurance. My guess is that when the mint got word of this they immediately went back and checked all dies. It is possible that more than one old die was used though but I wouldn't think that many were. >>

With the presidential dollars they use I think 6 machines ( but this is to mint over 150 million coins) Whatever the final mintage on these might tell us how many machines they MIGHT have used. But if it like the presi dollar then I would say a tops of 30,000 coins with error rev.JMHO
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Maybe they just thought we don't know how rare these are going to be and we don't care -lets just sell them and make a profit margin now. Isn't that the way most dealers are?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just checked the mints comments on die life. They stated that for American Eagle bullion coins they get about 6000 strikes and on proofs only 500. Now the Uncirculated coin is probably somewhere between that. Now could more than one die been used? That is hard to say but I would think that if this was truely a mistake then it happened when an old die got mixed up with the new ones and that would be a rare occurance. My guess is that when the mint got word of this they immediately went back and checked all dies. It is possible that more than one old die was used though but I wouldn't think that many were. >>

With the presidential dollars they use I think 6 machines ( but this is to mint over 150 million coins) Whatever the final mintage on these might tell us how many machines they MIGHT have used. But if it like the presi dollar then I would say a tops of 30,000 coins with error rev.JMHO >>

I don't know if the number of machines is the best indicator but the dies. Also, dies for circulated coins are used longer.
  • Options
    To me $69 for a certified ms69 error does not sound too bad to me, if the numbers are really low.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Well, mine are in the mail...lets see if I get any!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I just checked the mints comments on die life. They stated that for American Eagle bullion coins they get about 6000 strikes and on proofs only 500.

Where does one find that kind of info. I had been looking for that. . . Thanks.
    Talking to the folks ATS this morning they seem to think that the most probable scenario is mixed or leftover die(s). Another possibility is that the Phillie Mint's die shop made a bunch of dies from an errant hub. If the latter is the case, the rev. of '07 will probably be as common as dirt.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>I just checked the mints comments on die life. They stated that for American Eagle bullion coins they get about 6000 strikes and on proofs only 500.

Where does one find that kind of info. I had been looking for that. . . Thanks.
    Talking to the folks ATS this morning they seem to think that the most probable scenario is mixed or leftover die(s). Another possibility is that the Phillie Mint's die shop made a bunch of dies from an errant hub. If the latter is the case, the rev. of '07 will probably be as common as dirt.

Regards,

John >>

Look under US Mints Consumer Allerts-then under Hot Items-Then an article about the "First Strike" designation. By the way that article sheds some light on the "first strike" myth.
  • Options
    I talked with MCM just now. They received 2000 from the mint yesterday, all reverse of 2008. They have been buying them on the secondary market. I bought a few NGC reverse of 2007 at $119 each. didn't seem to bad to me. They said they are swamped with orders. I think they will dry up soon IMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>Gainesvillecoins had one auction on ebay with 100 coins. They also sold them on their web site and had multiple auctions for these coins on ebay. Moderncoinmart was also selling on their website and ebay. They were selling the ms69 for only $69.00 on Saturday April 19, 2008 (2 days after ngc posted their article) They sell the 2008 w with 2008 w reverse ms69 coin for $39.00. I think if they thought that it was going to be a rare find they would have sold them a little slower and for a bigger price. I think they are both forum members and wish they would contribute their thoughts. >>

Gainesville and moderncoinmart are volume dealers, they don't hold back. They might still have thousands in inventory or maybe a few hundred, but they will gladly sell them quickly and cheaply to move on to the next hot coin. Remember they have very little invested in these and are making huge profits. It doesn't make any sense running a business on speculation. They have x amount of these coins that they can easily sell for $150 or so, so they will keep sellling until they exhaust their supply. Why wouldn't they? No telling what the future will bring.
  • Options
    MCM had a few hundred total but said none had been received from the mint in their newest shipments. That hashes with my order shipped 4/22 with all 2008 reverses.
  • Options
    Just placed an order with modern coin mart for a ms69, as somebody posted earlier $119 does not sound to bad as what these are selling for on the bay.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I think Gainesville and ModernCoin, ordered, like 1000's + coins.

Order numbers from Gainesville from one day to the next was less than 100, so that' not to many orders and they don't have the MS69's anymore. (they might get more).

I think they probably have a few hundred 'errors'.

This makes it appear there are a lot.

I think all the errors are gone from the Mint.

I also think this will the THE COIN TO HAVE.

I mean a 2006 NGC MS70 goes for $200 !!! I'll bet everything they are a lot less of these errors than 2006 coins.

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well Fedex says my 150 ordered on the 19th will arrive tomorrow before 10:30. Does anyone see potential interest in keeping these sealed for eligibility of Early Release with the boys across the street? Do they operate on the same policy, ie. shipped before the cutoff or postmarked before the cutoff? Have never been to the other side...image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered some from MCM also. Great guys. I'm not waiting on this issue. I bet the supply dries up quick, very quick. When it hits print(Coin World) everyone and their brother who collects these will be on the bandwagon.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Modern Coin Mart is selling them for $119 and $299 undercutting gainvillecoins prices. How many of these do they have? >>

Do you have a link ? thank you in advance, David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my two ASE's that I ordered in the mail today.
    Opened them up and GUESS WHAT??? both have the reverse of 2007imageimageimageimage

Why the image you ask?
    Because yesterday was the cut off for first strike and I opened them.image

Stefanie
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like Modern Coin Mart is selling them for $119 and $299 undercutting gainvillecoins prices. How many of these do they have? >>

Do you have a link ? thank you in advance, David >>

Was going to give you the direct link but I think you guys just killed the website. Unless they use the same host as the usmint.
    http://www.moderncoinmart.com/

OK You talked me into getting a couple.
    http://www.moderncoinmart.com/cart1/product.php?productid=17898&cat=0&page=1
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    raw ones on ebay are doing just fine, strike while the iron is hot and then buy your first strike ones after it all settles down...
  • Options

<< <i>raw ones on ebay are doing just fine, strike while the iron is hot and then buy your first strike ones after it all settles down... >>

How much are the raw ones ?
  • Options
    check the closed/ended bids some at and over $200 for raw.

this is one coin that first strike / early release will not mean that much in the long term
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    OK, Modern Coin Mart, I was going to wait on these, but for $127.50 shipped, I went ahead and got one also. A 70 NGC just sold for about 800 dollars in the last half hour on ebay. I am fine with a 69.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Guess that this is really helping the Mint's sales of this very (especially now) overpriced bullion.

I ordered 5 in '06 & '07. Only ordered 2 this year because they're so overpriced. Both '07 Rev. DANG!

BTW The guy ATS that I spoke with today told me that there may be some more surprises on the way. . . I promised not to say anything . . .even though it's killing a big-mouth like me . . . but you heard it here first.

All I will say is; ck. ALL of your '07 & '08s in all finishes!

Regards,

John

• Options

<< <i>Guess that this is really helping the Mint's sales of this very (especially now) overpriced bullion.

I ordered 5 in '06 & '07. Only ordered 2 this year because they're so overpriced. Both '07 Rev. DANG!

BTW The guy ATS that I spoke with today told me that there may be some more surprises on the way. . . I promised not to say anything . . .even though it's killing a big-mouth like me . . . but you heard it here first.

Regards,

John >>

Thank's again John image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess that this is really helping the Mint's sales of this very (especially now) overpriced bullion.

Regards,

What do you mean "The guy ATS..."

John >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    i don't they (MCM or Gainsville) have as many as one might think. i get blast emails from MCM on their hot stuff or stuff they wanna move....but nothing on this phenomena. if they had a ton, they'd blast email their prior customers to notify in a heartbeat.

(JMHO)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked with MCM and it appears they have 16 left of the 69's.
    What will tomorrow bring......Actually, now gone.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I just checked with MCM and it appears they have 16 left of the 69's.

Miles >>

If true, the train has left the station.
  • Options
    OUT OF STOCK................

No 69's left

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options

<< <i>

Miles >>

If true, the train has left the station. >>

i wonder how many people bought multiples just to see what happens
    after a magazine prints an article about it? flip on the bay and
    it will drive prices down slowly and make them available again?

just thinking out loud.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Wow, that was fast, I saw how much they were bringing on ebay and grabbed one from MCM just in case they don't come down from here. I didn't buy multiples though, but I have all the "w" mint marks and figure this one will be important. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    What do you mean "The guy ATS..."

At NGC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Miles >>

just thinking out loud. >>

With multiple thousand collectors out there the issue is a modern winner imho. FC you surprise me with your inquiries w/o bashing. You been sippin' the houch lately? Believe it or not not everyone collects classic half eaglesimage
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW The guy ATS that I spoke with today told me that there may be some more surprises on the way. . . I promised not to say anything . . .even though it's killing a big-mouth like me . . . but you heard it here first.

Regards,

John >>

I do not understand. Why would this person, or you, need to protect whatever information you may or may not be keeping? Are these folks, and you, searching the world for other errors before the rest of us dummies figure it out? Is there an incentive for holding this information that is preventing disclosure? I'm just wondering, not whining. If you have some info that would be good for the hobby, why not let it out already?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Miles >>

just thinking out loud. >>

With multiple thousand collectors out there the issue is a modern winner imho. FC you surprise me with your inquiries w/o bashing. You been sippin' the houch lately? Believe it or not not everyone collects classic half eaglesimage >>

i am of the opinion there is multiple thousands created and once this
    article hits the stands people all over will check their coins and if they
    have dupes... well slap them on the bay for a quick flip!

i think everyone will get to enjoy this variety with a minor premium.

edited to add: i am all bashed out from cac. i drew up the peace flag
    and i find this thread to be interesting. i like speculating on it.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent 40 2008 rev 07 to PCGS yesterday for grading, first strike and Reverse of 2007 labeling. Kept the rest raw of them raw. I hope these do well. These 40 REV07 ASE's are going to be tied up in the USPS, PCGS system for a while.
  • Options
    I have two 2008 Unc ASE's in a sealed mint box that I got today. I am going to wait until June at the Baltimore Show to open them in front of a PCGS employee to see if they have the 07 rev, then they would get the first strike. I don't feel like paying to have the label put on 2008/08 ASE's. I have 10 coming in the mail, I'll open those up and see what's inside since they don't qualiy for first strike.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I just opened a case and all of them are all 07 reverses, I am so lucky maybe I can sell them raw for at least $300.00 a piece.

I forgot they had the 07 obverse!!!! Lmao!!
  • Options
    I do not understand. Why would this person, or you, need to protect whatever information you may or may not be keeping? Are these folks, and you, searching the world for other errors before the rest of us dummies figure it out? Is there an incentive for holding this information that is preventing disclosure? I'm just wondering, not whining. If you have some info that would be good for the hobby, why not let it out already?

Because it's now only a rumor as of now - they don't have the pieces in-hand.

Man, I live in Po Dunk GA there's no way for me to "search the world for other errors"

There is no incentive, this person nor I want to start any false rumors. THATS ALL!

Best Regards,

John

P.S. Guess one day I'll learn to keep my big pie hole shut ! ! !
  • Options
    I have the reverse in just the bullion coin as well...I think its more hype then anything

Will let it go for 150 image

ungraded but in mint shape
  • Options

<< <i>I do not understand. Why would this person, or you, need to protect whatever information you may or may not be keeping? Are these folks, and you, searching the world for other errors before the rest of us dummies figure it out? Is there an incentive for holding this information that is preventing disclosure? I'm just wondering, not whining. If you have some info that would be good for the hobby, why not let it out already?

Because it's now only a rumor as of now - they don't have the pieces in-hand.

Man, I live in Po Dunk GA there's no way for me to "search the world for other errors"

There is no incentive, this person nor I want to start any false rumors. THATS ALL!

Best Regards,

John

P.S. Guess one day I'll learn to keep my big pie hole shut ! ! ! >>

No, don't do that! I think it's fun and exciting to hear stuff like this John, I really do. This kind of excitment does not come along often and it could bring some new collectors into the fold. I just might have missed something along the line and I was wondering why it hasn't been revealed yet, rumor or not, that's all. Sorry if I irked you a little, I was really just trying to figure it out. Knowing that you don't have the pieces in hand makes more sense. I was reading it as if whatever the issue was, it was seen on multiple coins and the story was waiting to "break" for just the right moment. You know, like when Fox news says something like “thousands dead, and dying, could you be next? Find out at 11”
  • Options
    No, don't do that! I think it's fun and exciting to hear stuff like this John, I really do. This kind of excitment does not come along often and it could bring some new collectors into the fold. I just might have missed something along the line and I was wondering why it hasn't been revealed yet, rumor or not, that's all. Sorry if I irked you a little, I was really just trying to figure it out. Knowing that you don't have the pieces in hand makes more sense. I was reading it as if whatever the issue was, it was seen on multiple coins and the story was waiting to "break" for just the right moment. You know, like when Fox news says something like “thousands dead, and dying, could you be next? Find out at 11”

Not irked at all, guess I should have put a smiley by the P. S. image
    Logical questions that I would have also asked if someone left me dangling.

I actually called NGC to see about grading the '07 rev that I had sent to Coin World as a "Discovery Coin" (they are leaning toward not, being as so many are now out but still haven't given me the final answer).
    While talking to this person I was trying to "pull as much info out of him" as I could. LOL

Regards,

John
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW The guy ATS that I spoke with today told me that there may be some more surprises on the way. . . I promised not to say anything . . .even though it's killing a big-mouth like me . . . but you heard it here first.

Regards,

John >>

I do not understand. Why would this person, or you, need to protect whatever information you may or may not be keeping? Are these folks, and you, searching the world for other errors before the rest of us dummies figure it out? Is there an incentive for holding this information that is preventing disclosure? I'm just wondering, not whining. If you have some info that would be good for the hobby, why not let it out already? >>

i just KNOW some of the XA1 sets have 2008 reverses!!!! hehehe
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't give up on getting NGC or PCGS to holder your coin as the discovery coin John. It is what it is and you have proof.
    This is quite a feather in your numismatic hat. Congratulations!image
  • Options
    i just KNOW some of the XA1 sets have 2008 reverses!!!! hehehe

Hope so!

I ordered an XA1 when I ordered the '08-W ASEs and some Kennedy rolls. Try to combine orders to save on shipping fees.

Everything is shipping at different times XA1 is still BO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file