Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I still have two NGC MS 70's . I offered one on Ebay last week but no one bid my opening amount. I hope that the variety is in this year"s Redbook !! Mark. >>

Don't know about the Red Book. Made KPs moderns book. The series is shown modeled two ways. With and without the 2008W/2007 issue. The mintage listing also shows die change out based mintage estimate too. And its mintage will likely make the 2012 US Coin Digest. :-)

Eric Jordan

Silver Eagles are THE MODERN MORGAN.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If you don't mind me asking, what was the mintage estimate in there?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First off... I don't bid unless the photo is of the actual coin being sold.
    Second... I don't bid when the item has one grade in the title and another in the description/photo.

And seeing how THIS is currently being listed, I suspect they made a mistake with the picture- and someone just spent $563 for a 69. And an NGC 69 at that.

JMHO, FWIW >>

I did not bid on this auction, but emailed the seller asking for clarification. He stated that the title was incorrect and up for auction was an NGC 70. Looks like someone got a decent deal. NGC 70's have been selling in the low $700 range.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>If you don't mind me asking, what was the mintage estimate in there? >>

I'm curious also, the FOIA indicated 46,318. Lastly, something just seems not right with that seller a few posts up...Guy repeatedly misspells confidence, and his completed listings look goofy..
  • Options

47,000 Estimated

To the extent I'm the guy writing, moderns with reasonable reference points are going to get numbers...no more of this no comment mess.

Eric
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>I remember opening a box of 12 that were all errors. Ordered 100 more in lots of 10 and found no more. Still have them plus a few more errors I bought early on. >>

Those were the days I got 87 in a box of 100.... dang wish i could do that again. I kept two PCGS MS70's, and a really gorgeous raw one.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I remember those days. I got ZERO in a box of 100. BUT, thanks to getting in EARLY, managed to get 18 of the NGC 69's for $89 (through a moderns dealer....obviously JUST as they began their meteoric rise in prices), ebay'ed them in the $250-$300 range, AND a week later, picked up 20 on ShopNBC (yes, I said ShopNBC...not proud, but very opportunistic) for $149 ea., ebaying them in the $450-$500 range, keeping a single 1 for myself. Just 2 days after I paid $149,. ShopNBC raised their prices to I think $600 (NGC 69's reached $800 there). This is probably one of the few stories where someone was actually able to sell something for a very nice profit, instead of losing $$, on coins bought from one of the TV coin hucksters. All this was due to this thread, and were it not for John Nanney, alot of us wouldn't have made some really good money, whether simply % wise, or by the wheelbarrow-ful. I know I did pretty damn well, as did MANY other forum members.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Hello and Thanks to John Nanney. Have not seen him around for sometime.image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello and Thanks to John Nanney. Have not seen him around for sometime.image >>

Howdy folks . . . I'm still around . . . lurking . . . Hang out more on the PM forum now though.

Nice that there is still interest and to see this thread pop up occasionally image.
    Looks like prices are still holding pretty well after 2 years (minus 2 weeks). Wonder if it'll make the 2011 Redbook ? ! ? !

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok one last question i really don't understand is it better to buy a first strike pcgs 69 for 400 bucks or a ncg or anacs 70 first strike for the same price. I guess i just have a hard time understanding why a coin will not crossover to the pcgs at the same 70 ? The price difference on pcgs website from the 69 to the 70 is close to 1000 bucks why such a big difference? thks to everyone for the help just trying to figure out which is the best way to pick up 1 for my collection............................... and congrats john on finding these : ]
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>ok one last question i really don't understand is it better to buy a first strike pcgs 69 for 400 bucks or a ncg or anacs 70 first strike for the same price. I guess i just have a hard time understanding why a coin will not crossover to the pcgs at the same 70 ? The price difference on pcgs website from the 69 to the 70 is close to 1000 bucks why such a big difference? thks to everyone for the help just trying to figure out which is the best way to pick up 1 for my collection............................... and congrats john on finding these : ] >>

PCGS is more conservative in their grading than NGC and grades fewer coins as 70's and thus the premium. I had approx 130 of these, 40 NGC 70's, probably 50 NGC 69's, and the rest were raws and or PGGS 69's, some plain some FS. I sold my last 10 ngc er 69's I think in Oct 08 @ $500 ea...A truly unforgettable time...
  • Options
    well i finally got mine actually 2 of the pcgs first strike 69 had a buy it now for 400 they had 2 so i thought might as well put one away for later. was worried that i paid way to much but feel much better this morning after seeing another pcgs 69 on ebay finally went over the 400 mark. Happy easter everyone

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    I had nineteen in all, and sold all but one raw that cost me about $25.00.
  • Options

<< <i>well i finally got mine actually 2 of the pcgs first strike 69 had a buy it now for 400 they had 2 so i thought might as well put one away for later. was worried that i paid way to much but feel much better this morning after seeing another pcgs 69 on ebay finally went over the 400 mark. Happy easter everyone >>

Hi Tommy,

You did not pay too much. Congratulations on a great purchase at a great price.

You will not be sorry.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello and Thanks to John Nanney. Have not seen him around for sometime.image >>

Howdy folks . . . I'm still around . . . lurking . . . Hang out more on the PM forum now though.

Nice that there is still interest and to see this thread pop up occasionally image.
    Looks like prices are still holding pretty well after 2 years (minus 2 weeks). Wonder if it'll make the 2011 Redbook ? ! ? !

Regards,

John >>

John, what have you done for us lately? You need to find us another killer coin. image
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regards,

John >>

John, what have you done for us lately? You need to find us another killer coin. image >>

Hehe...sounds like my boss at the start of every month...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options

Next time email me before letting the world know!
  • Options

<< <i>Next time email me before letting the world know! >>

• Options
    woohooo talk about fast shipping just got both coins and was totally surprised that they each came in there own really nice wooden boxes, almost like display boxes. i am just curious has anyone ever tried to resubmit coins for an upgrade? i am just amazed there isnt a mark on either coin front or back whats it take to be a 70? i am happy with the purchase and the way that they came.

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Bullion Updated in New 64th Edition Red Book, Including Reverse of 2007

The “Bullion” section of the 64th Edition Red Book includes updated information and photographs for the U.S. Mint’s latest issues, including, for the first time, a listing for the 2008W burnished American Silver Eagle with the reverse of 2007.

“This is a variety that has excited modern-coin and bullion collectors,” says longtime Red Book editor Kenneth Bressett. “It’s easily discernible to the unaided eye, and it represents a significant design variety. We’ve been watching its market activity and collector interest, and decided it’s time to include it in the Red Book.”

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    What prices in the various grades does the new Red Book list for the 2008 reverse of 2007?..

Thanks..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Well folks today is the 2nd anniversary ! ! ! image

(A little history: Discovery Thread)

AND in the Red Book too!!! WOO HOO ! ! ! image

. . . Believe I'm going to pop for one of those leather bound editions this year . . . after all it'll be buried with me ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    image Happy 2nd Anniversary John!!! image
  • Options

Greatest find that I have ever been a part of, without doubt.
  • Options
    It's been two years already?!
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    are there any actual collectors on this thread, or is it all flippers and dealers?image
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

<< <i>are there any actual collectors on this thread, or is it all flippers and dealers?image >>

"I'm your huckleberry."
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are current prices?

Are they still going up?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I see where he prices of these coins are climbing once again. A PCGS MS 70 first strike just sold for $2489.95 on ebay. There are less that 200 of these coins.
  • Options
    NGC MS69s, which are the only ones I care about, since it's the only one I own, are going for a low of about $375.00 to a high of about $450.00.. I follow these (not that I plan to sell mine any time, since, although 46,318 were Minted, per the Mint's response to the FOIA request, we still don't know, and may never know how many actually got out, since if I dis-remember incorrectly, Mr. FOIA asked and asked the Mint to follow-up and tell him how many actually made it out the door, and they never answered.. with all of their accounting and security stuff, one would think they might actually KNOW how many of the 46,318 were shipped out.. remember all people who reported getting 2008-W ASEs that looked like someone had checked them?.. the physical evidence of opened boxes, capsules half-open.. evidence that once the Mint learned what they had done, they furiously dug through the coins made on that day looking for and removing the error coins from packages ready-to-ship.. so the number that got out of the warehouse could be a bit lower, or FAR lower than 46,318..

eBay realized prices of NGC MS69s are kind of nuts.. the ones that sell for the least are the ones that the seller starts at a low price as a "true auction".. like a $1.00 start or a $9.99 start or whatever.. almost 100% of those end up selling between $350.00 and $375.00.. the ones that sell for the most are the ones the seller starts at a higher price of $400.00 or more.. sometimes up to $500.00, even $600.00, with the "Best Offer" option.. THOSE end up selling in the $425.00 to $450.00 range, with a few even higher than that..

The Blue Label NGC "Early Releases" bring a small premium over the Brown Label slabs..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    mine is still in the original mint box just as i recieved it from the mint..image
    figglehorn
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see where he prices of these coins are climbing once again. A PCGS MS 70 first strike just sold for $2489.95 on ebay. There are less that 200 of these coins. >>

HOLEY MOLEY!!image I had tons of the PCGS MS70 first strike I made myself. Sold most to fellow board members.

Edited for TMI.image
  • Options
    Agian...edited for TMI.
  • Options

<< <i>I see where he prices of these coins are climbing once again. A PCGS MS 70 first strike just sold for $2489.95 on ebay. There are less that 200 of these coins. >>

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I believe it would be more accurate to say "There are less then 200 of these paper inserts" than to say 'coins' .
  • Options
    Actually, it would be more accurate to say "fewer" than "less" image
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, it would be more accurate to say "fewer" than "less" image >>

.........................................................................................................................

In that case it might be more accurate to say 'MOST accurate............................................'

Regardless there is a difference between coin collecting and paper insert collecting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, it would be more accurate to say "fewer" than "less" image >>

.........................................................................................................................

In that case it might be more accurate to say 'MOST accurate............................................'

>>

YOUR right.. image

Oh.. here.. in case you run out --> ............................................................................
  • Options

There are exactly 184 of these coins graded in MS70 and I just put mine on the BST board today.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....................although 46,318 were Minted, per the Mint's response to the FOIA request, we still don't know, and may never know how many actually got out, since if I dis-remember incorrectly, Mr. FOIA asked and asked the Mint to follow-up and tell him how many actually made it out the door, and they never answered.. with all of their accounting and security stuff, one would think they might actually KNOW how many of the 46,318 were shipped out.. remember all people who reported getting 2008-W ASEs that looked like someone had checked them?.. the physical evidence of opened boxes, capsules half-open.. evidence that once the Mint learned what they had done, they furiously dug through the coins made on that day looking for and removing the error coins from packages ready-to-ship.. so the number that got out of the warehouse could be a bit lower, or FAR lower than 46,318.... >>

I seriously doubt that the US Mint took the time to open each and every Silver Eagle package to try and pull this error.

As a general rule, graded populations should not be compared with actual mintage figures since there are way too many variables involved with why coins aren't all graded. As with anything in the coin collecting field, there are many folks who don't even know that these exist and many that never will.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>As a general rule, graded populations should not be compared with actual mintage figures since there are way too many variables involved with why coins aren't all graded. As with anything in the coin collecting field, there are many folks who don't even know that these exist and many that never will. >>

A good many of these 08REV07 ASEs lay undiscovered in dresser drawers, sealed Fedex boxes and collections all over the USA.
  • Options
    Memory lane:

"I was in for 2 on that auction back when it was sub-$100...seeing as how we don't even know if it's a rare variety or not yet that's just stupid money IMO."

"no biggie, I bet a ton are going to show up and I will buy mine for $60 in 3 months"

"I bought 2 NGC Early Release MS69 2008-W, rev. of 07 coins yesterday for $69 ea. "

"it seems there is no end to the amount of these available.
    to me it means that everyone who wants one will pay a slight premium"
  • Options

Those were the days.

I remember opening up my box from the mint and finding out all 13 of mine were 08/07.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As a general rule, graded populations should not be compared with actual mintage figures since there are way too many variables involved with why coins aren't all graded. As with anything in the coin collecting field, there are many folks who don't even know that these exist and many that never will. >>

A good many of these 08REV07 ASEs lay undiscovered in dresser drawers, sealed Fedex boxes and collections all over the USA. >>

True.. and there are people who walk away from CoinStar machines and leave Silver in the knee-level reject slot, even though the screen TELLS them to look there..

But.. since it's been over two years, one would think that peepuls who bought them and are even remotely aware of the Numismatic press would know about them.. or maybe not.. like you said.. too many variables..

But if I ever see someone walk into that Las Vegas lowball-them-so-bad-they-don't-know-what-hit-'em shop, on the Hysterical Channel's "Pawn Stars" show with one, and that obnoxious idiot who owns the place offers them $100.00 for it, and the know-nothing customer TAKES that offer, I'm gonna throw an anvil at the teevee machine.. well, maybe a Nerf anvil.. image
  • Options

<< <i>Memory lane:

"I was in for 2 on that auction back when it was sub-$100...seeing as how we don't even know if it's a rare variety or not yet that's just stupid money IMO."

"no biggie, I bet a ton are going to show up and I will buy mine for $60 in 3 months"

"I bought 2 NGC Early Release MS69 2008-W, rev. of 07 coins yesterday for $69 ea. "

to me it means that everyone who wants one will pay a slight premium" >>

Oh yeah!

I sold 4 raw coins at $200 each in about 5 minutes of listing time! image

But, that was then and this in now. I still think the prices have pretty much stabilized with a couple of excpetions. BTW, back a bazillion pages or so is reference to an MS70 First Strike selling for upwards of $4500+ so I can understand why folks get all in a tizzy when they start selling again at the $2500 price.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

A good many of these 08REV07 ASEs lay undiscovered in dresser drawers, sealed Fedex boxes and collections all over the USA. >>

True.. and there are people who walk away from CoinStar machines and leave Silver in the knee-level reject slot, even though the screen TELLS them to look there..

But.. since it's been over two years, one would think that peepuls who bought them and are even remotely aware of the Numismatic press would know about them.. or maybe not.. like you said.. too many variables..

But if I ever see someone walk into that Las Vegas lowball-them-so-bad-they-don't-know-what-hit-'em shop, on the Hysterical Channel's "Pawn Stars" show with one, and that obnoxious idiot who owns the place offers them $100.00 for it, and the know-nothing customer TAKES that offer, I'm gonna throw an anvil at the teevee machine.. well, maybe a Nerf anvil.. image >>

Make no mistake, if I could pick one up in a lot on the cheap I'd be on it like a bee on honey but that ain't gonna happen either. Not with you folks around at least. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I think I still might have one more NGC 70 and I know I have two NGC 69 ER in Multiholders with a normal reverse...I'll probably keep one of those for myself and sell the other if I need the money. image

-Paul
  • Options
    I wish i would have seen this thread way before i found out the ms69 first strikes i paid 400 bucks each and bought 2 traded one and keeping the other. Its part of my top 20 coin box.........image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

<< <i>I wish i would have seen this thread way before i found out the ms69 first strikes i paid 400 bucks each and bought 2 traded one and keeping the other. Its part of my top 20 coin box.........image >>

As long as we're talking wishes, I wish I'd have ordered a box of 100 while these were still being sent from the Fulfilment Center! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Memory lane:

Oh yeah!

But, that was then and this in now. I still think the prices have pretty much stabilized with a couple of excpetions. BTW, back a bazillion pages or so is reference to an MS70 First Strike selling for upwards of $4500+ so I can understand why folks get all in a tizzy when they start selling again at the $2500 price. >>

Hey, don't feel bad, I thought I knew what I was doing when I'd sold 15 NGC ER 70's @ $400ea and within a day or so they'd surpassed $800+imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Memory lane:

Oh yeah!

But, that was then and this in now. I still think the prices have pretty much stabilized with a couple of excpetions. BTW, back a bazillion pages or so is reference to an MS70 First Strike selling for upwards of $4500+ so I can understand why folks get all in a tizzy when they start selling again at the $2500 price. >>

Hey, don't feel bad, I thought I knew what I was doing when I'd sold 15 NGC ER 70's @ $400ea and within a day or so they'd surpassed $800+imageimage >>

You got me beat~!

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file