Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually 6,401 mintedimage
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Non First Strike 69's are tanking .... recent sales are below $400. How low will they go? >>

7 million posts on this thread and now we are depending on "First Strike?"

I am truly happy my one and only Nanney is "First Strike!" ; >>

The brilliant public is out there maxing out what CCs they have left buying Holiday crap they don't need for people who don't want it.. diverting money they'd spend on stuff for themselves to gifts for other people.. money they don't have, but they're willing to go deeper into debt at obscene Interest rates to make themselves look generous.. so the CC companies' head Scrooges can rub their hands in glee.. but what do I know.. I'm only a Nobel Prize-winning economist.. {{giggle}}.. thus, I suspect that these coins are dropping a bit due to seasonal Holiday buying frenzy..

I was watching The Suzy Orman show last weekend and she had a woman on, one of these typical "Housewives of Orange County" types.. begging Suzy to advise her how to get out of the CC Hell she had gotten herself into.. she had $230,000.00 in CC debt (that is NOT a typo).. had over 20 CCs, bought herself about $2k in jewelry every month, she has no job, but her old man brings in $9k a month.. they live in a $1 million house so between the mortgage payments and the CC payments, she's writing $20,000.00 in checks every month (that is not a typo).. to make the payments.. putting them over $10,000.00 deeper in the hole every month.. yet despite Suzy's best efforts, this woman was unwilling to take her advice to sell the house and move into an apartment, so she could start paying down the CC debt.. she told Suzy she liked to indulge herself (and just looking at her, you could tell she spent God knows how much on hair, nails, clothing, jewelry..) .. Suzy couldn't convince her that the right thing to do was immediately sell the house and was just image ing herself in the forehead because this self-indulgent woman called in for advice, but wouldn't take it..

I'm sure this isn't an isolated incident.. there are a lot of people like that out there..

So.. join the crowd.. my Birthday is this Friday.. image

Harv >>

No worries for this woman, she sounds ripe for a Govt. bailout with the tax $ taken from those who do actaully live within their means!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Non First Strike 69's are tanking .... recent sales are below $400. How low will they go? >>

7 million posts on this thread and now we are depending on "First Strike?"

I am truly happy my one and only Nanney is "First Strike!" ; >>

The brilliant public is out there maxing out what CCs they have left buying Holiday crap they don't need for people who don't want it.. diverting money they'd spend on stuff for themselves to gifts for other people.. money they don't have, but they're willing to go deeper into debt at obscene Interest rates to make themselves look generous.. so the CC companies' head Scrooges can rub their hands in glee.. but what do I know.. I'm only a Nobel Prize-winning economist.. {{giggle}}.. thus, I suspect that these coins are dropping a bit due to seasonal Holiday buying frenzy..

I was watching The Suzy Orman show last weekend and she had a woman on, one of these typical "Housewives of Orange County" types.. begging Suzy to advise her how to get out of the CC Hell she had gotten herself into.. she had $230,000.00 in CC debt (that is NOT a typo).. had over 20 CCs, bought herself about $2k in jewelry every month, she has no job, but her old man brings in $9k a month.. they live in a $1 million house so between the mortgage payments and the CC payments, she's writing $20,000.00 in checks every month (that is not a typo).. to make the payments.. putting them over $10,000.00 deeper in the hole every month.. yet despite Suzy's best efforts, this woman was unwilling to take her advice to sell the house and move into an apartment, so she could start paying down the CC debt.. she told Suzy she liked to indulge herself (and just looking at her, you could tell she spent God knows how much on hair, nails, clothing, jewelry..) .. Suzy couldn't convince her that the right thing to do was immediately sell the house and was just image ing herself in the forehead because this self-indulgent woman called in for advice, but wouldn't take it..

I'm sure this isn't an isolated incident.. there are a lot of people like that out there..

So.. join the crowd.. my Birthday is this Friday.. image

Harv >>

No worries for this woman, she sounds ripe for a Govt. bailout with the tax $ taken from those who do actaully live within their means! >>

Was she the one who was so happy that Barack was going to help her fill her gas tank and pay her mortgage? Knowing how the media thinks they probably blamed the credit card company for the ladies situation.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Teletrade tonight 4 of these beauties sold cheap. Non f/s pcgs $450/$425 and NGC earlys sold for $425/$400 in grade 69. Ouch!
    I saw that Orman show and was dumbfounded by her. There are a lot of people like that in CA. Reality means nothing. She felt entitled to this fake wealth. Simply astounding.

R
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I saw that Orman show and was dumbfounded by her. There are a lot of people like that in CA. Reality means nothing. She felt entitled to this fake wealth. Simply astounding.

R >>

Yup.. that woman had absolutely no shame.. why did she even call in and ask Suze (sorry.. misspelled it earlier) for advice, and on camera, even, so everyone could see how she had dolled herself up (and if she thought that over-done mannequin look was attractive on her.. well.. it wasn't..) .. but she rejected every bit of advice Suze gave her.. I just sat there watching in disbelief.. she refuses to give up her self-indulgent lifestyle and responded arrogantly.. like she was actually proud of herself for showing off wealth she didn't have.. in fact, despite all the crap she was buying, and the fancy house (stills of different rooms including two big-screen teevees OUTside by the pool!).. Suze kept telling her over and over that she was so far in debt she literally owned NOTHING.. fake wealth like you said.. and she and her old man will spend the rest of their lives paying it off if they didn't knock it off, sell the house, and come to their senses.. unbelievable and shameless..

sorry for going so far off-topic.. my point was that perhaps Holiday buying nonsense that gets blasted at us for about three months every year is partly to blame for these coins' prices dropping a bit lately.. maybe 25% or so.. but I'm sure there are other factors at play..

There will always be people who truly ARE very wealthy and CAN afford to lavish anything they want on themselves.. that woman is pretending to be one.. she's living a lie.. who's to blame?.. she's to blame, of course, for falling victim to totally over-blown vanity, and the false concept that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.. then she goes crying to one of the smartest financial advisors in the world for help, and rejects every bit of advice she's given?..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>Teletrade tonight 4 of these beauties sold cheap. Non f/s pcgs $450/$425 and NGC earlys sold for $425/$400 in grade 69. Ouch! >>

The way I look at it is $400 is a pretty good price for coins I bought for $25.95 less than 10 months ago (and that's only for the 69's) image

I know it's a different view than those who bought the 69 at $475-$495 but it still went down less than if you put your money in the stock market over the same time span
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Teletrade tonight 4 of these beauties sold cheap. Non f/s pcgs $450/$425 and NGC earlys sold for $425/$400 in grade 69. Ouch! >>

The way I look at it is $400 is a pretty good price for coins I bought for $25.95 less than 10 months ago (and that's only for the 69's) image

I know it's a different view than those who bought the 69 at $475-$495 but it still went down less than if you put your money in the stock market over the same time span >>

Mmm free grading service?

In my opinion, these coins have not bottomed out yet and the non first strike coins will take a steeper hit. (Yes I know it's a bs label, but the FS do demand a premium)

On FS coins, does any one have any ideas how many reverse forward looking slabs PCGS has graded or how many slabs with the coin #'s on the slabs. I count 4 different variety of FS slabs that PCGS used for this series.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Mmm free grading service? >>

My bad.....You're correct....The $11.25 for grading ($13.50 ER) makes the profit miniscule image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Besides the keeper 70's, anyone still holding in quantity? I'd sold my last pcgs fs 69 for 700, and last month my last 15 ngc er 69's for 500-539 ea. I'd sensed a drop was coming and couldn't hold what with 2 kids to feed, 1 dog, 2 fish, and my motherinlaw...They eat alot....image
  • I only have 3. One 69, one 70, and one raw for my Dansco.

So are you guys thinking that I should actually keep the 70 for the long term.

I had been thinking of selling the 70 lately. I'm just afraid it will develop
    milk spots and be worthless when I could sell it for maybe $1700-$1800 now.

EDITED: I guess my question is, If I sell my 70 today, what are the chances it will be a 4K coin in the future?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • "I had been thinking of selling the 70 lately. I'm just afraid it will develop
    milk spots and be worthless when I could sell it for maybe $1700-$1800 now."

Just put it in a food saver bag. 5 months going, still not one single spot and I had 37 of these. Sold most of them though months ago.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Besides the keeper 70's, anyone still holding in quantity? I'd sold my last pcgs fs 69 for 700, and last month my last 15 ngc er 69's for 500-539 ea. I'd sensed a drop was coming and couldn't hold what with 2 kids to feed, 1 dog, 2 fish, and my motherinlaw...They eat alot....image >>

I am selling some also. I got one offer for $440 on ebay for NGC MS70's-pathetic. I got 2 kids, one wife, 3 dogs, and currently 2 cats but NO mother-in-law. I think you got me beat. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Besides the keeper 70's, anyone still holding in quantity? I'd sold my last pcgs fs 69 for 700, and last month my last 15 ngc er 69's for 500-539 ea. I'd sensed a drop was coming and couldn't hold what with 2 kids to feed, 1 dog, 2 fish, and my motherinlaw...They eat alot....image >>

I am selling some also. I got one offer for $440 on ebay for NGC MS70's-pathetic. I got 2 kids, one wife, 3 dogs, and currently 2 cats but NO mother-in-law. I think you got me beat. image >>

I have one wife, NO kids, 2 cats and am not going to sell my MS70's. They are going to be way too valuable down the road. FOOD WRAP them guys and forget about them!
  • I still have 14 NGC 70's (5 ER) and 6 69's (3and 3). I plan on holding all the ER's and will sell a couple of 70's and the non-ER 69's over the next month or so.

• 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Sold my NGC MS-70 for $797 about 10 days ago and was glad to get that price for it.

Still holding onto (4) PCGS MS-69, two of which are FS.

<< <i>Sold my NGC MS-70 for $797 about 10 days ago and was glad to get that price for it.

Still holding onto (4) PCGS MS-69, two of which are FS. >>

Unless you need the money now, I would not sell any 70's or first strike coins at this point.

<< <i>

<< <i>Sold my NGC MS-70 for $797 about 10 days ago and was glad to get that price for it.

Still holding onto (4) PCGS MS-69, two of which are FS. >>

Unless you need the money now, I would not sell any 70's or first strike coins at this point. >>

There are a lot of them on ebay right now at low auction prices which will hold down the prices temporarily.
  • It is not this coin that is soft but based on my experience(6,000+ feedback and 8,000+ sales) I'd say Ebay overall has really softened over last 90-120 days.

Less bids, lower prices across the board.

I agree but if we had a few less listings with a higher starting price people would pay it.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any guesses what the price will bring once the MS Live rebate ends?
    My guess ... PCGS 69's ... $350-$400 ...... NGC ... $300 - $350...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree but if we had a few less listings with a higher starting price people would pay it. >>

Less listings = less interest = less prices . Prices are held down by the economic climate..look for more positive prices next year
  • I sold one about a month ago uncertified with all the Mint packaging for $459 Item
  • I think the prices will rise. The Cashback BIN's are hurting the auction sales. I got a tad over $400 a couple of weeks ago for a brown label 69 but you can get a BIN for $495 and when you minus the 30%...well you do the math

I have one going on Sunday...We'll see
    I sold two NGC MS69 ERs for $500.00 each a couple of weeks ago.. not an eBay auction.. a private deal.. I didn't want to get slammed with $30.00 in PayPal fees and he didn't want to send a Money order, he wanted them in a hurry, so he PayPalled me $1030.00 which covered the fees.. so I'm down to one NGC MS69 ER left and that's it, and I'm hanging onto it because on eBay they've dropped about 25% and if you sell one on eBay for $450.00 or so, after the listing fees, the Final Value Fees, and PayPal's rake, you're left with about $400.00.. uh uh.. I'll just keep it in my collection because there's no chance of me ever getting another one.. if they shoot back up in price, then I'd consider selling it.

Meanwhile, I was looking at usmint.gov yesterday and noticed they put the two-coin Platinum 10nd Anniversary set back on sale again.. when they released it a year ago, it was $1949.95.. then Platinum shot up and they re-priced it to $2695.00 or something.. then Platinum slowly started crashing.. now an oz. of Platinum is barely over an oz. of Gold, and they've put the set back up on sale again at $1295.00!.. hah.. well I sold mine for two grand a few months ago anyway..

Meanwhile meanwhile.. I'm waiting to see what price they put on the 2009 Ultra High Relief 24k Gold Saint reproduction in January.. with Gold as low as it is now, if they don't price it over a grand, I'll probably get one.. but if they put a $500.00 premium over spot Gold on it.. forget it.. they still haven't announced a price..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

I think the prices will stabilize once the cash back ends. The raws will settle in around $450, the ms 69 NGC's will be about the same, the PCGS 69's will be around $500. The big gains will be in the first strikes with prices about $600. The big winner will be the first strike 70's which will continue to increase for quite a while as there are so few of them and millions of collectors. The NGC 70 will do all right and be around the $750 mark.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of these - they are long term holds for me.

• Hmmmm...I noticed I had my 600th post and I think I should give something away....I will give a 2007-W AND a 2008-W Burnished (Duh!) ASE with original mint packaging and COA's to a random post to be selected Sunday evening after my auctions are completed (didn't mean it to sound like spam but whatever)

I have learned (and profited) so much from the people here and this will be a very small token of my appreciation...

The only requirement: You must have posted ON THIS THREAD before today ("Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery yada, yada, yada")

I will open a thread on the giveaway forum to be legal...It will be titled only "John Nanney"

I will be away from the internet Friday AM until Sunday PM...

Maybe this will find TonyWKoo image
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭

<< <i>I have learned (and profited) so much from the people here and this will be a very small token of my appreciation... >>

What a wonderful gesture!. Like you, this forum and entire site has been invaluable to me, and I have learned much from everyone.

Happened to be going through some channels on Dish the other night to see what was worth adding to my personal favorites that I hadn't previously selected and came across some coin sales show. To my surprise they were selling the 2008 American Silver Eagles with the 2007 reverse in NGC MS-70 for (I believe) $1300 in Early Release and $1200 in standard MS-70.

To say I was shocked is an understatement. Nothing like charging a $400-$500 premium to buyers who don't know any better.

This was most certainly not added as a favorite.
  • Tony should be the automatic winner... sure got lively around this thread during his early participation.

Ya, we all miss Tony.
    To all that have contributed to this thread, now you can put in your two cents about this discovery at the new PCGS coinfactswiki.com. I just threw down a little info to get the ball rolling.

Ren
  • ***Giveaway Update***

My w/e trip got squashed so here I am.....Only 29 entries in the giveaway and get this...15 removed 'cuz they have never posted here. I guess no one wants free silver W's and still no Tony. One day to go....

p.s there are a couple of entries that 90% of their posts are giveaway entries..real contributers to the forums image

Consider me entered into your giveaway. Thanks
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of pictures under what magnification, I haven't a clue. Photo on right(I hope) is 08 07 reverse. Photo on left is 08 08 reverse. I guess it's just "die chatter", but pretty much all my 08 reverse 07 have it. Notice the date, and under Libertys' foot. It looks in person(not through camera lens) to be almost a "tripling" effect. I can't resize these images to get under 50 kb.sorry.

I have to say, this is one CRAPPY post. In fact, if the photos aren't played with to fit on these boards through Irfanview, they are distinctly different.I don't know how everyone else does their photos. Before too long goes by, I will read the instructions. (maybe)

• << <i>Consider me entered into your giveaway. Thanks >>

Me too...Pls.consider me in your giveaway.image
    wait a sec.. I thought we were ALREADY entered into his giveaway withOUT having to say "enter me".. no, not THAT way.. filthy minds.. heehee image .. you know what I mean.. automatically entered by taking no further action, based on if we had posted here in THIS thread at ANY time PRIOR to his announcement of his giveaway.. did I suddenly just forget how to read English or isn't that how it's gonna work?.. image man, I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue..
  • Please enter me in your giveaway.
  • Please enter me in your giveaway
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouch -- couldn't find your Nanney thread to sign up...here!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    okay so enter me.. but be gentle..

• << <i>Bouch -- couldn't find your Nanney thread to sign up...here! >>

Hmmmm......There is a forum titled " Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways"
    There is a thread titled "John Nanney"
    It is presently hidden at the TOP OF THE PAGE

I thought that one had to move givaways there so as not to get some whoop-ass by the mods.

Entering here is fine but don't let the mods kill the giveaway 'cuz I tried to be a good gifter

Hrlaser.....You have been entered......(in the giveaway that is)

<< <i>

<< <i>Bouch -- couldn't find your Nanney thread to sign up...here! >>

Hmmmm......There is a forum titled " Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways"
    There is a thread titled "John Nanney"
    It is presently hidden at the TOP OF THE PAGE

I thought that one had to move givaways there so as not to get some whoop-ass by the mods.

Entering here is fine but don't let the mods kill the giveaway 'cuz I tried to be a good gifter

Hrlaser.....You have been entered......(in the giveaway that is)

Glad you clarified that bouchada.

image >>

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, has John ever said what he was doing or how he actually found the error?
  • And my 600th post giveaway winner is...............

cb2597..........

Congrats and PM me your address
    Congratulations to lucky Mister cbbunchanumbers.. image .. my perfect continuous streak of never having won anything on these boreds since first joining in 2001 continues!.. woohoo!.. although I did win three bucks in the multi-state MegaMillions lotto last week!.. trying to decide how to spend this new-found wealth.. hmm.. maybe I'll just take Suze Orman's advice and instead of frittering it away as a down payment on a Bugatti Veyron, I'll sock it away in a high-yield CD.. after 20 years, I should have enough to cash out and retire and spend the money on a spacious refrigerator box to live in..

Is this my 800nd posting?.. nope.. two more to go.. contest?.. hmm..

Harv
  • image Thank you very much for the giveaway Mr.B!image

• << <i>my perfect continuous streak of never having won anything on these boreds since first joining in 2001 continues!.. woohoo!.. >>

Well at least it wasn't a total loss......At least you .....were......entered image
  • I would like to publicy Thank Allen aka Mr. B for his giveaway of two ASE's they are purdy!

Sincerely,

Joeimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody going to bid on this one?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file