Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 of them from the mint and they are both 2008/2007

Is it worth grading?

One looks like a 70 to meimage

Stefanie
  • The population report variance is impressive, however, what is the submission report? In other words, has NGC had twenty times the

submissions thus the much larger 70 population? It's hard for me to conceive that given their market share and reputation, they are

that much different when it comes to grading standards... I'm asking a naive question because I really don't know the answer being a

relative newcomer to numismatics. Just curious. Do you think PCGS purposely keeps the population down to create rarity/added value?

I always wondered how some of the big dealers consistently get 70's while the average joe gets 69's regularly. It's supposed to be a

blind system when a coin is submitted, nothing indicating who owns the coin being graded, correct? Again a naive perspective here.

Anyway, my initial question to the forum was about present values and projecting/prognosticating the future values. Are they worth

buying multiples at the present prices? Has the actual mintage been determined yet? If we are still looking at 43,000 approximate, how

does that translate into rarity? Some commems have 6-7k total mintage and they are gold worth only a couple thousand or so. I saw

the capitol visitor gold ms69 and pf69 combined selling locally for $1250. Such a low mintage ms and yet......well I'm rambling...your turn image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>I bought 2 of them from the mint and they are both 2008/2007

Is it worth grading?

Stefanie >>

Stefanie - YES image

Just checked and my grades are in for the 2 raws I sent in...

1 1 12493952 396411 2008-W $1 Eagle, Reverse of 2007 US MS70
    1 2 12493953 396411 2008-W $1 Eagle, Reverse of 2007 US MS69

I couldn't be happier, especially only sending in the two best!!

I'm sure when I get them back, I won't be able to spot a difference between the two, but oh well...at least PCGS did image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is it worth grading?

Stefanie >>

Stefanie - YES image

I'm sure when I get them back, I won't be able to spot a difference between the two, but oh well...at least PCGS did image >>

Thanks lope,
    I did that last year with my reverse proofs. One came back 69 and one at 70image
    Not a first strike but its a 70 reverse proofimage
    It's just good to know you don't have to be a big time submitter to get your coins graded objectively.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    HI LOPE

STILL NO ANSWER FROM THE MINT ?
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple too - I'm getting ready to send them in to PCGS. Will be nice if I can get a 70 out of them. I'd have to keep it !
  • STILL no answer, about time for me to send them another follow-up letter.
  • Yes where is Tonyimageimage What have you been up to lately Tony?
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is it worth grading?

Stefanie >>

Stefanie - YES image

I'm sure when I get them back, I won't be able to spot a difference between the two, but oh well...at least PCGS did image >>

I just sent in 5.... crossing my fingers and everything else.

Ren
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I would chime in. Checked out a small show yesterday, one guy offering $475 for the raw 08/07 ASE.

Appears this still has legs, after months of hype.

My crystal ball is inop, is there more gains to be had with this variety?

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    how has the PCGS MS70 FS been doing?
    Currently unable to locate a FS70 on ebay.

Here is a non FS70 for $2200. Wonder what the highest offer is?

Scott

70link
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally sold the last of my 08REV07 ASE last week. Since day one I have had no problem selling these coins. Hopefully they will remain popular and they prices will hold.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how has the PCGS MS70 FS been doing? >>

FS MS70 linky

most recent FS 70 sale
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    I have not even looked at any of mine in 6 months. They are in a bank vault.

• << <i>I have not even looked at any of mine in 6 months. They are in a bank vault. >>

I thought you just had six for sale on the BST board...........

Were those site unseen ??.......................

Dan

Good deal by the way ( 6 for 3K )
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

<< <i>

<< <i>I have not even looked at any of mine in 6 months. They are in a bank vault. >>

Dan

I am going down to the bank today to get them. I have 11 69s and 2 70's. Surely most of them are still in good condition. I sold 1 so I need to pick it up anyway. I will let you know on the condition of the rest of them after 6 months of storage.

Steve

Good deal by the way ( 6 for 3K ) >>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I have not even looked at any of mine in 6 months. They are in a bank vault. >>

Dan

I am going down to the bank today to get them. I have 11 69s and 2 70's. Surely most of them are still in good condition. I sold 1 so I need to pick it up anyway. I will let you know on the condition of the rest of them after 6 months of storage.

Steve

Just got back from the bank. All my coins are in great shape. Not sure I want to sell any now. Will honor the one coin sale though.

Good deal by the way ( 6 for 3K ) >>

>>

I just got my first SDB at my local bank and you can bet that MS70 will be going in there for a while anyway.

Although, I keep thinking about what classic coins I could purchase if I were to sell the ASE...

It will be hard to resist but I think I will for a while anyway.
    I agree completely and will leave my 70's alone for 5 or 10 years (1 1st strike PCGS and 1 early release NGC 70).

The 10 first strike PCGS 69's I will sell at' at some point, when I get an offer I can not refuse.

Steve
    There seems to be quite a few selling today with the MSN 30% rebate. good deal!

• << <i>There seems to be quite a few selling today with the MSN 30% rebate. good deal! >>

I just sold my PCGS FS 69 for 600 BIN today. Buyer is happy at 420 after rebate, and of course I am happy.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Appears this still has legs, after months of hype.

Hype? What hype?

There were a couple of articles in CW, 1? in NN & 1 in Coin Values.
    Oh yea and here on the forums! image
    I'll bet that alot of folks who buy these things each year still have no knowledge of their existance. Even smaller dealers are sometimes still being cherrypicked.
    AP, Reuters, CNN etc., etc. never picked up on this story.

If the 08/07s had gotten the mainstream media coverage that HI/LO quarters received, there's no telling what the cost to buy one now would be. JMO

Regards, John

Edited to add: Oh yea this sends it TTT . . . 6300? ? ? image
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    <<Hype? What hype?>>

So how do we get it on CNN? Guess all the hype was here on the boards, which is a small sampling of collectors.

I see your name all over Ebay John, in the descriptions, your a bonafide celebrity.

Movie deal, book deal? imageimage

Scott
    I tried to make this same point about the error not making it to the media, and
    I got my edge filed, to say the least. Glad to see someone else thinks it too.
    I have felt that way right along. These coins are still very strong and are holding their price very well in spite of what is happening in the stock market and the banks.
  • I just went to my local coin dealer and brought it up. he was completely clueless as to their existence... even now.

I went to a local coin show in Albuquerque and no one in the whole show had any. They had heard of them though.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW -

Has anyone noticed a surge in buying on these? In the last few days, I sold everything I had listed (for many weeks) and buyers wanted more...

Maybe Cashback is finally seeing heavy use? Or perhaps the stock market rebound? Or -- is it a renewed surge in interest for a strong collectible?

It ain't over folks... AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

• << <i>I just went to my local coin dealer and brought it up. he was completely clueless as to their existence... even now. >>

Time to find a new coin dealer. Then again, maybe not! image
    9 have sold today already. I have 7 listed myself today, maybe some of those will sell.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I sensed a downward trend, and couldn't repeat my numbers from July, I did just sell my last 15 and I'm now out, it was a fun ride...image
  • OK John Nanney, we need a new discovery! image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rg, I can't keep up with your jokers today.image
    So what exactly is going on with these. Just a couple of weeks ago there were < 50 for
    sale. Now suddenly > 1500. Wow! Is it the weather?
    I only see 53!
  • 1500???? Strange...I only found 64...Where did you see the other 1436??? Might get me a few rolls...........
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>So what exactly is going on with these. Just a couple of weeks ago there were < 50 for
    sale. Now suddenly > 1500. Wow! Is it the weather? >>

No, it's the imageimageimage
  • Let's see..... search #1

1,376 results found for 2008 silver eagle

search #2

420 results found for 2008 w silver eagle

search #3

43 results found for 2008 w silver eagle reverse 2007

Hmmmmmm...image

<< <i>1500???? Strange...I only found 64...Where did you see the other 1436??? Might get me a few rolls........... >>

I only found 54, what are you using for keywords. I have 3 listings in for 2 coins each but can only find 1 of them. I know people are seeing them as the counter is going up. What am I doing wrong.
    OOOOOOOOP's! image
  • I use a couple of searches:

2008 w reverse (gets the most hits but you have to subtract the motorcycles)

2008 w reverse of 2007 (gets the least hits)
  • searching "2008 reverse 2007 turns up 53 for me.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• << <i>OOOOOOOOP's! >>

Hey it revived the thread!! image
    It's not dead for me, I've sold 2 and have 6 more on there right now. (3 lots of 2 each)

I've tried but still don't understand why all 3 of my listings do not show up under 2008 reverse 2007 as I have them. They are not getting enough exposure. Any ideas guys?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW -

Has anyone noticed a surge in buying on these? In the last few days, I sold everything I had listed (for many weeks) and buyers wanted more...

Maybe Cashback is finally seeing heavy use? Or perhaps the stock market rebound? Or -- is it a renewed surge in interest for a strong collectible?

It ain't over folks... AK >>

if it hasn't been said think MS cashback....IMHO
    Whatever it takes, I love it.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for whoever wants 6300!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>+1 for whoever wants 6300! >>

SIX THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file