Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I think those guys have been happy since they received their money. I know I sure would be!
  • Was watching CHAMBERS on TV the other day. He stated that the mint says the maximum number of reverse of 07 eagles produced in ERROR, is about 47,000. but went on to say that the actual number could also as low as 20,000 coins.
    How he came up with the 20,000 figure, I do not know????

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Was watching CHAMBERS on TV the other day. He stated that the mint says the maximum number of reverse of 07 eagles produced in ERROR, is about 47,000. but went on to say that the actual number could also as low as 20,000 coins.

image >>

I've seen a couple of eBay auctions saying the same thing.. after reading your post, I wondered if those sellers got their speculative number from Chambers, or vice-versa.. it'd have some uhh.. interesting ramifications if it was true..

hey Mr. Lope.. ping.. ping.. aaaOOOOOga.. whatever happened with your follow-up to your FOIA request where you were going to ask The Mint to totally answer ALL of your questions?.. did you ever follow-up and ask them?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was watching CHAMBERS on TV the other day. He stated that the mint says the maximum number of reverse of 07 eagles produced in ERROR, is about 47,000. but went on to say that the actual number could also as low as 20,000 coins.

image >>

What a bunch of horse manure ... PCGS & NGC have already graded 17,910 & the numbers are going up weekly ... I don't have ANACS figures on hand.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's BULLION &
    "U" don't have a " LEG" to stand on !
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Would it be unreasonable to suggest that ALL 47,000 of these coins should be in collectors hands, whether they know it or not, one year from the discovery date? Comparatively speaking, consider this... 47,000 MIGHT fill one of the 15, sold out stadiums this coming Sunday. image
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

image >>

Keep watching Mr Chambers he will get in your wallet very soon. Sharp snaked tounge that reaches out and grabs your money.

All kidding aside Mr Chambers needs a paycheck that is why he lies.image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

image >>

Perhaps he reads these forums? Ya just never know but that figure has been bounced around here once or twice!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> They are going to be worth mega-bucks later. >>

While I hope you are correct, would you like to bet on it? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

• << <i>Been reading the thread messages for a while. Has anyone heard that the Mint has responded to "lope208" on his request to "completely" answer his FOIA request... the part to where he asked if the Mint made any disposition of the coins other than public sales (ie: destroy)?

Just trying to catch up!

I was lucky enough to get 8 from the mint early on. >>

Hey all,

several of you have PM'd me recently about the status of this! Sorry, it has been a busy 2nd half of the summer with my job, vacations, etc. I just got around to sending a response letter back to the Mint last week. I apologize for the delay, but we shall have to wait longer for an answer image

I'll keep you posted when they feed me the next line of BS. image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
    If Chambers read this forum he would know that it is not 47000 but 46318 I believe the figure is.

His asking price was $1499 for 70's and $999 for 69's.

<< <i>If Chambers read this forum he would know that it is not 47000 but 46318 I believe the figure is.

His asking price was $1499 for 70's and $999 for 69's. >>

I wonder.. is he actually getting $999.00 for 69s?.. if he is, I'll gladly sell all four of mine to the first taker for $3800.00.. yes, you heard it here first!.. a TWO HUNDRED BUCK savings!.. free, Insured shipping, free gift-wrapping.. hmm.. what else can I toss in.. ahha!.. four FREE Intercept Shield slab holders, AND a free supply of Styrofoam peanuts!.. operator is standing by.. image

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    Oh, he's getting it . He has a huge audience just waiting to buy up all his stuff.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    What ever became of the hypsters on ebay hawking the dollar set , saying it may contain a 2008/07 Eagle ??image
    The one seller sold his for a nice $1.04 profit over what the mint charges.

That type of sale really needed to wait until one turned up in a set.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>If Chambers read this forum he would know that it is not 47000 but 46318 I believe the figure is.

Were those NGC coins?

The name is LEE!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Brown label NGC 70 sold on the bay for $$$810.00 tonight..prices remain firm..still looks like new highs coming for the 2008/07s image
    PCGS has taken them out of their price guide. How come/
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, what gives?

R
  • My guess is its a glitch, there are actually several coins not showing prices in my registry sets at the moment, this happened last week once also that I am aware of.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    They are back up there now!

• << <i>These coins, all 46,000+ are "first strikes". This is one of those unusual instances when there was a definite period from which these coins were produced. We have the FOIA letter from the Mint. In my opinion the TPG's missed a golden opportunity to recognize each and every one of these coins as First Strike or Early Release. With any other release it's impossible to define the early/first designation, not so with the 07 reverse. In time I would expect to see the price for this coin in both regular holder and FS holder to sell for similar money (PCGS and NGC will always be worlds apart). >>

FIRST, why is this thread down to page 6?!

SECOND, I know we've discussed this before, but you do raise an excellent question again that I think is worthy of debate. Sure, the TPG's have clearly defined their rules for what constitutes FS or ER. But still, we have a FOIA letter from the Mint, which states clearly when these coins were struck. I forget the exact date, but I know Michael White stated it at one point. Anyway, IMO, this is as good as a signed affidavit from the Gov'Mint. If the TPG's were strictly private enterprises, I would say they'd have full control over how they define FS or ER. But because they are public companies that have to answer to the shareholders, I believe a solid case could be made on this particular coin. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be consider all FS, but just that if a savvy lawyer or shareholder wanted to, they could make quite an argument armed with the "evidence" from the Mint.

thoughts?
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10

<< <i>

<< <i>These coins, all 46,000+ are "first strikes". This is one of those unusual instances when there was a definite period from which these coins were produced. We have the FOIA letter from the Mint. In my opinion the TPG's missed a golden opportunity to recognize each and every one of these coins as First Strike or Early Release. With any other release it's impossible to define the early/first designation, not so with the 07 reverse. In time I would expect to see the price for this coin in both regular holder and FS holder to sell for similar money (PCGS and NGC will always be worlds apart). >>

FIRST, why is this thread down to page 6?!

SECOND, I know we've discussed this before, but you do raise an excellent question again that I think is worthy of debate. Sure, the TPG's have clearly defined their rules for what constitutes FS or ER. But still, we have a FOIA letter from the Mint, which states clearly when these coins were struck. I forget the exact date, but I know Michael White stated it at one point. Anyway, IMO, this is as good as a signed affidavit from the Gov'Mint. If the TPG's were strictly private enterprises, I would say they'd have full control over how they define FS or ER. But because they are public companies that have to answer to the shareholders, I believe a solid case could be made on this particular coin. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be consider all FS, but just that if a savvy lawyer or shareholder wanted to, they could make quite an argument armed with the "evidence" from the Mint.

thoughts? >>

Check your FOIA Letter again Matt, no dates are mentioned, only die numbers and strike counts.

I have both Coin World articles which also do not specify a date as to when these were minted, just an approximate number and that the minting occured over "approximately three shifts of production."

As for these being true First Strike™ coins struck within the First 30 days of Production, I guess that could be debated as well since the only fact really known is that 17 dies were "found" of which only 15 dies were used (They reported 18 but die number 7328200 was listed twice!). Just because they were Reverse of 2007 dies does not mean that they were first to be used.

Look at the die numbers. There are lots of "missing" sequence numbers which tells me that the dies are not used sequentially but randomly.

Additionally, "three shifts of production" does not tell me that these were three "consecutive shifts of production" either, simply that its "three shifts of production".
    Does the US Mint at West Point have a Day Shift, Swing Shift and Graveyard Shift? Its not like they have to produce "billions" of coins like their Philadelphia and Denver circulation counterparts. Do they even have a Swing Shift?

These coins could have been produced last in the run if the dies were at the back of the bins or they could have been used first. They could also have been produced over 3 days but I doubt that, perhaps 2 days representing a Swing Shift, Day Shift, and a Swing Shift.

There is still lots of unknown information but to just "assume" these were the first in the production run is, I think, assuming too much.

As a side note, maybe one of our expert code breakers would like to take a stab at decyphering the die numbers? As with automodile VIN's, sometimes these die numbers actually mean something such as day of production, shift of production and so on.

Another note: I wonder why only 1 coin was produced with die number 7328196 and then I wonder where that coin ended up?

The name is LEE!
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    You made some excellent points, Lee.

Did a search for West Point Mint positions, and in the one I found, it states that the Mint operates 24 hours a day.

Of course, this job posting doesn't mean that the actual minting takes place on three shifts. Wouldn't be surprised to see them have some down time for maintenance.

West Point Mint Position

Under Shift Work: This facility operates on a 24 hour per day, three shift basis. Assignment to a specific shift cannot be guaranteed. The successful applicant must be available to work on all three shifts on a rotational basis.

I don;t think I'd like that job for $23 - $29 bucks a week! image

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I don;t think I'd like that job for $23 - $29 bucks a week! image >>

Agreed, but the stated Salary Range: 23.48 - 28.57 USD Hourly.
    Wonder if one can make employee purchases?

• Good points, Lee. I do remember that there was no date specific in the FOIA response. I just seemed to recall Michael White's PR statement having an approx date, but I could be mistaken now. I figured put 'em both together. Anyhow, all valid points by Lee. I was just bumping the thread from page 6 image

I have no personal interest in collecting FS coins, but that's just me.

• << <i>Wonder if one can make employee purchases? >>

I wondered about this myself...do they give employees discount or special pricing? image
    Anybody watch this one?

How about this one?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Anybody watch this one?

How about this one? >>

Compared to completed auctions, the PCGS non FS received a good price & so did the NGC graded one. What's your point?
    It only shows what most of us already know. Get your "modern junk" graded by PCGS over NGC. PCGS 99% of the time will demand a higher price and in some cases as this, a substantial one. Better yet, get the PCGS First Strike Label (for the last 30+ days, the 69's FS PCGS are averaging around $550+ & MS70 ...around $2500 )

Here is a non F/S that just closed...linky

• << <i>Anybody watch this one?

How about this one? >>

Second auction still live, goes off a little after noon today (EST)

• << <i>

How about this one? >>

Second auction still live, goes off a little after noon today (EST) >>

I think you meant to say 11 today EST...I just clicked on it and it's up in 4 minutes.

better get your bids in!

Hmm, interesting, no movement in the last 5 minutes. Sold for $786.

<< <i>

<< <i>

How about this one? >>

Second auction still live, goes off a little after noon today (EST) >>

I think you meant to say 11 today EST...I just clicked on it and it's up in 4 minutes.

better get your bids in!

Hmm, interesting, no movement in the last 5 minutes. Sold for $786. >>

Terrible time to end an auction...............

The name is LEE!
    New PCGS Pop report
    F/S .... MS70......no change....168 .... total: 1675 ... #396437
    non FS...MS70.......no change.....264..... total: 3110 .. #396411

Total graded by PCGS...4785

Increase of a total of 7 between the 2 coin #'s

I'm waiting for some one to supply the NGC & ANACS stats

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

NGC pops

total 67 68 69 70
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 6286 1 3132 3150
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 ER 6846   1 3754 3091
    ANACS shows no information for any of the 2008 dollar series coins, including the ASE or the Presidential Dollars.

ANACS only graded 132 of the the West Point Burnished ASE in 2007 so whatever the 2008 number is, I'd imagine that it isn't very high.

Don't follow ANACS populations, and it may be that they don't report the numbers and grades until the calendar year is done.

<< <i>NGC pops

total 67 68 69 70
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 6286 1 3132 3150
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 ER 6846   1 3754 3091 >>

About 18K graded between PCGS & NGC ... was there much of an increase in the NGC pop. over last weeks figures?

• I know this doesn't doessn't help to pin down the production date of the the errors but from speaking with dealers that had First Strike orders in before the news broke, I was told that they were allowed to resubmit the error coins and still kepp the First Strike labels OR if the TPG still had the coins they would be labeled as 07' Reverse with the First Strike label as long as they met the 30 days from issue rule.

Of course non of my original first strike submissions had any errors. image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna

<< <i>

Terrible time to end an auction............... >>

for once, Lee..

What can a seller possibly be thinking to list an item with a potential closing price of $1000.00 to end early on a Sunday morning?.. that seller cheated himself out of at least two hundred bucks.. image

Harv

<< <i>I know this doesn't doessn't help to pin down the production date of the the errors but from speaking with dealers that had First Strike orders in before the news broke, I was told that they were allowed to resubmit the error coins and still kepp the First Strike labels OR if the TPG still had the coins they would be labeled as 07' Reverse with the First Strike label as long as they met the 30 days from issue rule.

Of course non of my original first strike submissions had any errors. image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
    image >>

Larry, any coin which has a First Strike™ label can be resubmitted for any reason and retain the First Strike™ label. The big saver in this scenario is that the dealers did not have to pay the $20 attribution fee which although is a minimal expense for this coin, is still an expense.

In a nutshell, once a coin is slabbed as First Strike™, the 30 day rule is no longer in question as the coin will ALWAYS be First Strike™. This includes attributions, upgrades, and even downgrades.

<< <i><<

Terrible time to end an auction............... >>

for once, Lee..

image >>

Why Thank You Herb! image

The name is LEE!

• Hi Lee,

I understand the 30 days and the FS. I guess what I thought I was trying to do was shed some light on when these errors were struck. From what I can see they must have all been struck within the first 30 days is all. Just because they were not holdered as first strike doesn't mean that they were not struck in the first 30 days, right?

Now I am confussed. LOL!

So.... When is the best time to close one of these auctions?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
    Just don't end it at 2 in the morning.

• << <i>I'm waiting for some one to supply the NGC & ANACS stats >>

See my monthly stats - last one is on page 302. I used to offer these stats weekly, but the numbers don't significantly changeover 7 days So I now provide monthly stats... image
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen this auction:

NGC MULTI

Pretty neat, huh.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    This is cool. I am trying to do this in separates... $$$
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone seen this auction:

NGC MULTI

Pretty neat, huh.

Regards, John >>

Not much of a premium on that cool multi holder.......BTW, I am getting so sick of this thread!!!!!!!

Please go away thread!!!!!!!!!!!

John Nanney, I'm sick of your name......go away! go away! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • This thread will be back....after a word from our sponsor.......Goldbully's Hater-aid

Now available in three flavors.....GoldenOldyOrange, GoldFeverCherry, and GoldRushLemon

imageimage Go Nanney!
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    John Nanney, I'm sick of your name......go away! go away! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like a bad case of clap . . . I just keep coming BACK ! ! !
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>Has anyone seen this auction:

NGC MULTI

Pretty neat, huh.

Regards, John >>

Good price...I'm surprised that no one has grabed it...
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Too late, when I signed in it was still available then poof... sold to a beer drinker....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file