Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I managed to get an NGC70ER. It would be nice to see prices for these near par with the PCGS70FS.
    May happen in the future if the count stays low. >>

That will never happen! Just look at the pop's now.
  • Only 4 coins where listed last night.May be a good sign the availibility may start to drop off.Well,i can hope anyway.image
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭

<< <i>Wonder what the likelihood will be of the 2008 with 2007 reverse ASE getting added to Coin World’s Coin Values? >>

Received the following response from Coin World today:

We expect to add this coin soon. We are in the process of adding coins to the database and I would estimate you should see it in the next couple of weeks.

Sincerely,
    Beth Deisher, Editor
    COIN WORLD and COIN VALUES (http://www.coinworld.com)
    (http://www.coinvaluesonline.com)
    PO Box 150
    Sidney, OH 45365-0150
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wonder what the likelihood will be of the 2008 with 2007 reverse ASE getting added to Coin World’s Coin Values? >>

Received the following response from Coin World today:

We expect to add this coin soon. We are in the process of adding coins to the database and I would estimate you should see it in the next couple of weeks.

Sincerely,
    Beth Deisher, Editor
    COIN WORLD and COIN VALUES (http://www.coinworld.com)
    (http://www.coinvaluesonline.com)
    PO Box 150
    Sidney, OH 45365-0150 >>

where is woo ???????
    Tony, Tony, where are you??

Everyone wants to know if you have received your rebate checks yet?
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    {{tap tap}}.. is this on?.. no postings since yesterday afternoon.. that's unusual.. hmm a thread Variety!..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Without Tony around,there is no one else to keep this thread active.

• << <i>Without Tony around,there is no one else to keep this thread active >>

Ok.....This weeks NGC POP report shows a total of 12965 graded which is an increase of 108 coins over last week

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 ................MS 6119
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6846
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    If nobody posts then I have nothing to counter otherwise the thread would still be strong.

On the otherhand, maybe this thread is going the route of the actual coin? image

Something to think about................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I could always save the coin by contacting Tony's old contacts to make sure it is in every price guide/coin book/website/forum/coin magazine/comic book/TV Station/The Next Batman Movie, etc.!

Save the cheerleader, Save the Reverse of 07!

To the moon I tell you, to the moon!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    Only 42 listing left tonight with more to expire tonight which will leave them below 40 before morning.

Just the calm before the storm.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Dropped down to about 30, mostly BINs - Wow!
  • So would you guys guesstimate that maybe 50% of the coins have been graded!
    It looks that way but no one knows.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dropped down to about 30, mostly BINs - Wow! >>

prices still holding firm..if lack of interest ......bids for auctions would be down....the 2008/07 NGC 70 that sold this morning had 30+ bids
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez - this thread is getting desperate. No new Xa2 reports or new hoards found? C'mon guys and gals...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Spent a day & a half crusing the bourse in Atl. last weekend. Didn't see a single 08/07 for sale. Do dealers just not have them, or are they just holding them back?

Plenty of anniversary sets for sale though.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spent a day & a half crusing the bourse in Atl. last weekend. Didn't see a single 08/07 for sale. Do dealers just not have them, or are they just holding them back? >>

Could it be that there is just not much collector demand?

Are we in a long-term lull between the initial excitement and the must-have for the set completion?
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Overall the coverage in the media (with the exception of this thread) was miniscule at best.
    This may be a BIG sleeper till the entire numismatic community discovers it, time to come.

<< <i>Overall the coverage in the media (with the exception of this thread) was miniscule at best.
    This may be a BIG sleeper till the entire numismatic community discovers it, time to come. >>

Exactly what type of "media" coverage did you have in mind to bring this "sleeper" to the attention of the numismatic community?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    How bout a press conference....image

<< <i>How bout a press conference....image >>

Sounds pretty good!

Perhaps NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and FOX will pick up on it and give it the coverage it DESERVES!

The name is LEE!
    Once we get this dumb election over with you will start to see some action on everything. Who knows, maybe I will even decide to sell some of my first strikes.

I am glad to see some of you return to this thread, I thought everyone was napping.

I guess Tony still is!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Interesting... a non fs pcgs 69 sold yesterday for 595, while 2 fs's closed at I think 500 and 510, a far cry from the $700 I got for my last fs 69...image I expect things will pick up in the next few months and will hold my remaining 15 ngc er's until then...
  • Here are the updated stats for the unc. 2008-W SAE & Rev 07 “error” – Mint production, TPG populations, & projected year-end (YE) mintage.

Presently, ~ 43% of the 46,318 07 “error” coins have been accounted for via TPGs & raw coin counts from coin forum member feedback.
    Excellent chart!!

Do you really feel that there are going to be 432000 of these o8 coins with the price of silver where it is at?

<< <i>Excellent chart!!

Do you really feel that there are going to be 432000 of these o8 coins with the price of silver where it is at? >>

Interesting question.

Does the "projected YE Mintage" take into account sales of the 2008 Annual Dollar Sets?

The name is LEE!
    Unfortunately the mint does not release that info but last year the total had it included as the year went along. We don't even know how many presidential sets they made. One thing for sure, they will not sell them all.

• << <i>

<< <i>Excellent chart!!

Do you really feel that there are going to be 432000 of these o8 coins with the price of silver where it is at? >>

Interesting question. Does the "projected YE Mintage" take into account sales of the 2008 Annual Dollar Sets? >>

Thank you, and yes, it does. I also have an inset note on the chart that states that; as well as a footnote (1) at the bottom of the table... image
    Hi..
    hey Wighty.. is the size of that chart and the grid of numbers below it the same size graphic that whatever program you're using to generate it saves it as?.. or are you scaling it down?.. could you perhaps re-post it not scaled so small?.. some of the numbers below the chart are kinda hard to read.. not all of us have 20 / 20 vision or use 96" monitors image .. I use a laptop with a 15.4" screen running in 1280 x768 as my main computer 90% of the time.. (and a smart phone with a 2" screen the other 10% of the time..) .. I could throw your .jpeg into an image processor and scale it up, but it'd look crappy..
    Thanks
    Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

• << <i>Excellent chart!! Do you really feel that there are going to be 432000 of these o8 coins with the price of silver where it is at? >>

Thank you...

Short answer - yes (but below the actual number).

Long answer - My estimated YE number varies weekly, and is based on the weekly Numismaster.com "Mint Stats" production figures. At the present time, the weekly rates have been slowly going higher. Using these weekly increases, I calculate a historical average rate increase, and apply that rate to the remaining weeks in 2008 then add it to the existing 08W coin total. From 7/7/08, these averaged weekly rate increases were: 2,481; 2,837; 3,049; 3,022; 3,078; 3,547; 3,923; and 4,006 respectively.

I believe my method is conservative. As such, it will determine a lower than actual total.

• << <i>Hi..
    hey Wighty.. is the size of that chart and the grid of numbers below it the same size graphic that whatever program you're using to generate it saves it as?.. or are you scaling it down?.. could you perhaps re-post it not scaled so small?.. some of the numbers below the chart are kinda hard to read.. not all of us have 20 / 20 vision or use 96" monitors image .. I use a laptop with a 15.4" screen running in 1280 x768 as my main computer 90% of the time.. (and a smart phone with a 2" screen the other 10% of the time..) .. I could throw your .jpeg into an image processor and scale it up, but it'd look crappy..
    Thanks
    Harv >>

I use 17" monitor at 768x1280, and. But I tend to prefer smaller-sized numbers. The chart & table are full-size, but I'll work on increasing the sizes for the next report.

I use snagit32 to capture screen images from Excel, and then crop, cut & paste them into a single image (using PSP) for the web JPG file.
  • Sorry about the absence folks, other things have popped up in my life recently that's required more of my attention. (MS Cashback program is finally starting to pay. But it's going to take another 14 days for the money to show up in my Paypal account). It really bummed me out that Gold had taken a down turn. I bought 9 oz's of mostly American Eagles (at an average price of about $840 after Cash back)...oh well...it's kind of strange with gold since it's tied inversely to the price of oil...I'm actually hoping that the price of oil skyrockets (weird huh?)

Well, I'd have to say, I'm still pretty impressed that this coin has really hovered at this price level for quite some time. At this point, I really doubt that it's going to go down any further.

OK, a little off topic here, but has anyone watch the Olympics? You know, this is the first time that I've actually rooted for the Americans. Being born in China(but coming here at a very young age), I've always rooted for China (that's what all of the rest of my family does)...but it was different this time. It may sound kind of strange, but last year, I decided to really call myself an American...
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It may sound kind of strange, but last year, I decided to really call myself an American... >>

Good for you fellow American!image
  • I think finding one of these coins in it's raw state,makes a raw coin a double rarity.image
  • Been reading the thread messages for a while. Has anyone heard that the Mint has responded to "lope208" on his request to "completely" answer his FOIA request... the part to where he asked if the Mint made any disposition of the coins other than public sales (ie: destroy)?

Just trying to catch up!

I was lucky enough to get 8 from the mint early on.
    Quote from a smart man: Richard Hobbs (my father)... never tell a lie! Then you don't have to remember what you said!
  • Welcome to the boards Onecoinhunter.Nothing new has been said about the FOIA.We are still in the dark on that matter.Congrats on your 8.
    Lope, can you give us an update on your FOIA request?
  • image Onecoinhunter!
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To lazy to sift through posts, any found in the dollar sets yet?

Scott

Edit: What about the 08 proof? At nearly $20 over spot, how many were actually sold?

They have been unavailable for 2+ weeks now. Your thoughts?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>To lazy to sift through posts, any found in the dollar sets yet?
    >>

None found that I know of but the coins in those sets sure are nice looking.
  • Some one just got a great deal on these coins.Paid $295.00 a piece for a best offer on a buy it now for 6 coins.Check the completed autions for the listing.

<< <i>Some one just got a great deal on these coins.Paid $295.00 a piece for a best offer on a buy it now for 6 coins.Check the completed autions for the listing. >>

I saw it, and now I'm wondering why I didn't make a bid like that.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, a little off topic here, but has anyone watch the Olympics? You know, this is the first time that I've actually rooted for the Americans. Being born in China(but coming here at a very young age), I've always rooted for China (that's what all of the rest of my family does)...but it was different this time. It may sound kind of strange, but last year, I decided to really call myself an American... >>

Welcome to the greatest experiment of all time. I too am from foreign lands but have been American day one.

Semper Fi to boot.

Ren
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I talked the other day to a BM coin dealer who was not only disinterested in the variety, I had to show him how to tell the differance and he just got P1ssed off. It was almost as if now he had to work harder checking these coins when they come in. He was saying that "little changes" mean nothing, "no one who deals in coin full time cares about this" etc etc...

Anyone else asked their local dealers thoughts?
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Yeah. I called a dealer during the frenzy, probably back in June, to see if they had any interest. He said, "Not at this time." Didn't suggest I check back later, either.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the dealers I work with could care less unless the coin/or error has become mainstream with a history...... or just plain bullion (easier to price and sale).
    I remmeber talking with dealers years ago about the Lunar Gold set..got blank stares. Now, one of them had the compete set for sale and spoke of as if it had been the thing for years.
    Ebay is intenational and Collector's Universe evolves at a VERY brisk pace that the average dealer I work with cannot fathom. Probably makes their head hurt and spin.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    renman ...

Cool testament. Thank you for your participation on the forums... homey image .
    You know, change is often difficult for others to accept, especially dealers who do not want to make an investment in a major variety that they know little or nothing about.

The majority of the coin collecting public is barely aware that this variety even exists. In fact, some collectors randomly dismiss it as just another insignificant Mint error.

I'll predict that this variety will one day be as important as the '55 Licoln Double Date, the 42 over 41 Mercury, and the three legged Buffalo. That is pretty darned good company, and I don't think I am wrong.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file