Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• This has been (and is) great fun! I'm good with assuming Baley was just kidding. After all, no one is being forced to play with us.
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    Okay folks, I got my order in today.... and...... no 2008 ASE's with the '07 reverse. Coins are very nice though. Hope to get some MS70's from the bunch!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely saw some 70's in the ones I received!

Too bad the Presidential Dollars weren't 70's! <boo-hoo>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • NANNEY, NANNEY, NAAAANEEEEY.....THERE I SAID IT! IRRITATING EH? image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irritating? Only to those "without".

I think the coin should be renamed to "Nanney's Reverse".

You rock John!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Ok, question....who among you has the largest hoard of these? Do you think John Nanney ordered 25,000 more before he revealed his

discovery? (maybe that's where the rest of 'em are hiding...) if we add up everyone's individual hoard we can get a better idea of

the actual totals. I'll start....I own one! image

The Beatles
  • Better question is how many RAW coins are we holding??

I have -0-

Sold last 19 raw coins 3 weeks ago.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, question....who among you has the largest hoard of these? Do you think John Nanney ordered 25,000 more before he revealed his

discovery? (maybe that's where the rest of 'em are hiding...) if we add up everyone's individual hoard we can get a better idea of

the actual totals. I'll start....I own one! image >>

I think John only got one-the discovery coin. I think you will have to look elsewhere to finc the other 24,999. I wish I ordered 25000 of them. If only we could go back 4 months.

-correction- I believe he got 2...right John?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    we did this probably 2,000 posts ago, but I'm sure the numbers have changed. I know my holdings have.
    I have 3 raws left. I don't plan on buying any more raw, but I do plan to send the 2 reallly nice ones in to get graded. I know,
    I've been saying that for months, I just need to do it. The third raw has a slight imperfection on it. I'd like to make a "W" page in my UNC ASE
    album and put this coin in it.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much is one of these things going for today ?

<< <i>How much is one of these things going for today ? >>

Mostly from $450 to $2300 I would say depending on the condition and plastic.
    Lope,

Did you ever send back the FOIA request for more details?

<< <i>NANNEY, NANNEY, NAAAANEEEEY.....THERE I SAID IT! IRRITATING EH? image >>

I never thought of it that way but it's more funny than irritating! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I think John only got one-the discovery coin. I think you will have to look elsewhere to finc the other 24,999. I wish I ordered 25000 of them. If only we could go back 4 months. -correction- I believe he got 2...right John? >>

And both of those were graded so back to the 25,000 number!

Whoops, I forgot my 3 so back down to 24,997! image

The name is LEE!
    BTW, I predict this thread will hit 8,000 if not more before the end of the year!

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>I think John only got one-the discovery coin. I think you will have to look elsewhere to finc the other 24,999. I wish I ordered 25000 of them. If only we could go back 4 months. -correction- I believe he got 2...right John? >>

And both of those were graded so back to the 25,000 number!

Whoops, I forgot my 3 so back down to 24,997! image >>

Maybe that is the better way to go. Lets count down the raw from 25000 and see if we can get to zero. I cannot reduct that number. I did sell some raw but they could be graded now. The reverse count is 24.997-anyone here able to reduce that number?
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    It may be possible that people other than forum members have these coins... that said I would not be at all surprised if forum members accounted for at least several thousand of the "missing" errors.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
    I sold 6 raw,so, 24991.

<< <i>It may be possible that people other than forum members have these coins... that said I would not be at all surprised if forum members accounted for at least several thousand of the "missing" errors. >>

Can't you imagine all of those grannies out their who bought 1 to 5 of these for their grandchildren and haven't the foggiest idea what they have. Come on grannies-lets hear your counts. Oh yeah, they don't post here-they probably don't even know how to use a computer. Maybe we cam come up with a granny fudge factor or GFF for the government guys.

• << <i>I sold 6 raw,so, 24991 >>

I sold a few a while back but they may have already been graded and accounted for in the POP reports.

I presently have -0- ungraded
  • I just got 4 more and no rev of 07image
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Received my (10) 2008 Dollar Coin sets today. The ASE's all had superb strikes and surfaces, but none had the 2007 reverse.

Not surprised based on what others had previously reported, but I am keeping the sets and submitting some of the ASE's to PCGS.
  • I just received my ten z8f eagles that I bought on ebay...unopened mint box that was shipped to original buyer on june 7th....nothing

but '08 reverses....image now to tell my lovely wife that I lost on this lotto try too.....image so, I still have only one '07 reverse to countdown

on the total.....

The Beatles
    I thought you were lucky-man but I guess not. Upward and onward in search of the elusive 08/07 missing coins.

<< <i>I just received my ten z8f eagles that I bought on ebay...unopened mint box that was shipped to original buyer on june 7th....nothing

but '08 reverses....image now to tell my lovely wife that I lost on this lotto try too.....image so, I still have only one '07 reverse to countdown

on the total..... >>

If you want it to count you have to pull the countdown total forward. We will have this wittled down in no time.image They have to be raw though.

<< <i>

<< <i>I sold 6 raw,so, 24991 >>

I sold a few a while back but they may have already been graded and accounted for in the POP reports.

I presently have -0- ungraded >>

Numbers for coins you've sold DO NOT count since you have no way of knowing if they have been graded or are in the process of being graded.

ONLY RAW COINS IN YOUR IMMEDIATE POSSESSION or the possession of someopne you know that does not post on these forums. Anything else is just speculation.

The name is LEE!
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>It may be possible that people other than forum members have these coins... that said I would not be at all surprised if forum members accounted for at least several thousand of the "missing" errors. >>

There are absolutely zero "missing" coins.. they are all exactly where they are.. image

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Does the usmint take orders from people out of the country? That could account for quite a few. Plus how many dealers are there in the US alone? Thousands?
  • Lucky in love image the rest......not so much.....image but very few have it all, so I'll take what I have and be happy image

let the countdown continue......

The Beatles
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like a total bust ....no 208/07s ...0 for 40.. image
    Have 0 ungraded 2008 ASE with the 2007 reverse (none received from the Mint and none purchased elsewhere).

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i am the proud owner of exactly zero raws and four in slabs.. not buying, and not selling (yet)..

I do all my shopping at the..

and so should you! image ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I have four raw.
  • heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one raw purchased from the Mint. HM
  • Here we are 4 months later........John Nanney....YOU STILL SUCK !image
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I still have one raw, from the Mint.

I am waiting for it to be worth one ounce of Rhodium before I sell...unfortunately, that may be about $50 by next week...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!

<< <i>Does the usmint take orders from people out of the country? >>

Yes they do!

The name is LEE!
  • Well it looks like none of the Dollar Coin sets contain the 07 reverse !! the question now is did the mint recover any of these coins before they shipped. if so, what will they do with them?

<< <i>Well it looks like none of the Dollar Coin sets contain the 07 reverse !! the question now is did the mint recover any of these coins before they shipped. if so, what will they do with them? >>

The Freedom of Information Act should be all that is needed for the Department of Treasury or Mint to provide the answer to that question.

I suspect that if they did perform a search for the '07 reverse, that anything found was recycled.
    10 more today. No runs, no hits, and most importantly, NO ERRORS. I guess I am out.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Thanks Lee!image
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10 more today. No runs, no hits, and most importantly, NO ERRORS. I guess I am out. >>

ditto the last ..0 for 150 from the Dollar sets.......anyone offering these as a lotto ticket for the 2008/07 will..... have better odds getting hit by lighteningimage

<< <i>Well it looks like none of the Dollar Coin sets contain the 07 reverse !! the question now is did the mint recover any of these coins before they shipped. if so, what will they do with them?

image >>

I really doubt, at this point, that the mint went through these coins. I feel now that the remainder are out there in grandma & grandpa's closet for the next 5 or 10 years and will trickle out slowly.

<< <i>I really doubt, at this point, that the mint went through these coins. I feel now that the remainder are out there in grandma & grandpa's closet for the next 5 or 10 years and will trickle out slowly. >>

You may be right, but I fall into the grandpa group, and I can tell you those grandmas and grandpas I know have more time to follow what is going in numismatics except for the dealers.

At this stage of life, most seniors are still into collecting or liquidating.

To buy and hold without ever following what's happening in the hobby, I personally find difficult to comprehend. How would they even begin to know what to buy ... anything and everything?

Is there any recent history of any Mint rarity that had such a tremendous differential between the announced production and the actual number that surfaced? If there is, I can't recall it, and I may be having one of those "senior moments."

If anything was stashed away in closets, it would be the state quarters series or 1964 Kennedy halves. No telling how many of those were (and still are) stashed away.

Rick
    I too am a senior and do not find it hard to believe that these are being hoarded away by us golden agers. There are plenty of us who just buy every year and put them away. I ma not one of those as I am aware of what is happening.

<< <i>I too am a senior and do not find it hard to believe that these are being hoarded away by us golden agers. There are plenty of us who just buy every year and put them away. I may not one of those as I am aware of what is happening. >>

And perhaps I am wrong ... wouldn't be the first time in my life.

At least we can agree to disagree amicably.

<< <i>

<< <i>I really doubt, at this point, that the mint went through these coins. I feel now that the remainder are out there in grandma & grandpa's closet for the next 5 or 10 years and will trickle out slowly. >>

You may be right, but I fall into the grandpa group, and I can tell you those grandmas and grandpas I know have more time to follow what is going in numismatics except for the dealers.

To buy and hold without ever following what's happening in the hobby, I personally find difficult to comprehend. How would they even begin to know what to buy ... anything and everything?

Is there any recent history of any Mint rarity that had such a tremendous differential between the announced production and the actual number that surfaced? If there is, I can't recall it, and I may be having one of those "senior moments."

If anything was stashed away in closets, it would be the state quarters series or 1964 Kennedy halves. No telling how many of those were (and still are) stashed away.

Rick >>

Interesting that you brought this up about the Kennedy's!

PCGS has graded 4,315
    NGC has graded 2,130
    Throw a couple thousand in for the "other" guys and we get......................................8,445
    They produced (or at least reportedly produced) 429,509,450 coins which leaves,

429,501,005 that have been stashed away or are "unaccounted for"! image

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

Rick >>

I would add this. I think there are senior coin hobbists and then there are senior hoarders or savers. I think the former enjoy looking at the coins and keep up with the particulars of the hobby. The hoarders are those grannies amd grampas that collect bits of silver or gold every year to use in case of emergencies and to pass to the children or grandchildren and they just know it is silver or gold and nothing else. I could see them open the box-check to see if the order is correct-then to the safety box it goes not to be seen again for years.
  • MrScienceMrScience Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, went 0 for 6 in looking for 2008s with reverse of 2007 in my Uncirculated Dollar Set order. I'm still holding on to 1 NGC MS69 ER.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file