Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Nobody's gonna buy a house with an ounce of silver, that's for sure....image
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am really hoping that none are found in the presidential sets. It is still early but I have ordered another 10 sets and will probably will do so again in a week or so just to be sure. If you wait until somebody finds some you will probably be too late to get in on getting some. The coin sets I have looked at appear to be much better than the run of the mill coins I have seen and should be a good place for some high quality coins. >>

AGREED -- IF they are in the mix (which I doubt), it will take a while and some luck to find the sweet spot in the stacks. It may be a very short wave...

Edit: Pitboss -- nice to see a face back on your avatar! Although, I would have guessed an 08/07 reverse would have graced it better!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    GOOD NEWS:

Microsoft Cashback is back again -- now EXPANDED to 6 eBay purchases, with a max rebate of $200 per transaction.

Guess is buying time again for some more 08/07's!

BAD NEWS:

BIN numbers are only about 20 now -- slim pickins, prices are up.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky I figured out how to get that picture on there. I know little about computers. I do know that the 08/07 are on a steady march upwards though.
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭

<< <i>
    BAD NEWS:

BIN numbers are only about 20 now -- slim pickins, prices are up. >>

... and what is reasonably priced is gone within the first hour.

Noticed that the Live discount on eBay is now 15%. Unless I'm mistaken it was 25%.
    No, that would be good news....image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

the price of the 08/07s is as just as tied to the spot price of Silver, as the price of a 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent is tied to the price of a ton of Copper.. no relationship at all.. the 08/07s aren't going to drop in price just because Silver is in the toilet..

Harv >>

Excellent point, Harv.
    I make a lot of smart alec comments in this thread and on this forum.
    Once in a while, I have to acknowledge great truths. image
  • How about some more reports from the annual dollar sets??
    I have 10 more waiting at the local fed ex delivery center but they will not deliver until Monday. My first ten were a zero.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    How about some more reports from the annual dollar sets??

Received 10 sets Friday..............all 2009 with 08 reverse.

imageimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Smarty Pants!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    All the comedians out of work and we havesumorada.

• << <i>All the comedians out of work and we havesumorada. >>

Prices are starting to get up there guys, you better grab some while you can still use that rebate. As the days go by and there are none found in the presidential sets, the price is going to get much higher. There are some decent 2 and 3 coin ungraded coins available for around $500 each and the rebate will make them some good buys for you. If I had more money I sure would grab some. I still have 13 graded though so I guess I am lucky.

• << <i>Prices are starting to get up there guys, you better grab some while you can still use that rebate. As the days go by and there are none found in the presidential sets, the price is going to get much higher. There are some decent 2 and 3 coin ungraded coins available for around $500 each and the rebate will make them some good buys for you. If I had more money I sure would grab some. I still have 13 graded though so I guess I am lucky. >>

Thanks for the mention. I put those up specifically so people could use the rebate. I figured a Max of $200 @ 15% so you get more bang for 2 or 3 coins.

<< <i>Prices are starting to get up there guys, you better grab some while you can still use that rebate. As the days go by and there are none found in the presidential sets, the price is going to get much higher. There are some decent 2 and 3 coin ungraded coins available for around $500 each and the rebate will make them some good buys for you. If I had more money I sure would grab some. I still have 13 graded though so I guess I am lucky. >>

There you go again with that old "Prices are starting to get up there guys" stuff!

Is it a get em while you can warning or what?

One thing I have learned while attending these boards and thats:

If you come across what you think is a good thing, then you take advantage of it. When you try to pull other people into it, then you're hyping it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I had thought they were already up there, and had come down a bit...image
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    If you come across what you think is a good thing, then you take advantage of it. When you try to pull other people into it, then you're hyping it.

HYPE ON brother HYPE ON ! ! ! !

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    The absence of any 2008 ASE's with the 2007 reverse in the 2008 Dollar Sets so far is significantly lowering the estimate of the quantity that was released. Once this news gets out to the average collector, the principle of supply and demand will get interesting.

For me, the Live discount could not have come at a better time.

WELCOME to the forums 6sigma!

We have some time until the jury is out on the Annual Dollar Sets, but until then -- I don't think the perceived value of the 08/07 has been based on the set release.

If anything, a sudden wave (not flood) of new coins on the market will cause a temporary price drop (good for buyers).

But as for the MS Live rebates -- OH YA, these are doing wonders! I'm standing by waiting for them to hit 25% again to backfill my "new" quota.

After all, is it the summer doldrums...time to buy...

<< <i>The absence of any 2008 ASE's with the 2007 reverse in the 2008 Dollar Sets so far is significantly lowering the estimate of the quantity that was released. >>

image This is an incredibly naive statement.

The name is LEE!
    You can call it hype if you want, but prices are higher and will continue to climb if no coins are found in the presidential sets .
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>How about some more reports from the annual dollar sets??

Received 10 sets Friday..............all 2009 with 08 reverse.

Ww
    imageimage >>

What do you see in the mirror everyday when you wake up. I tell you what I think. I think you see a gosdarn CON!! A sick old used car salesman that now works for the US Mint and decides to put out Con statements like you do. Bad boy, now smash that mirror and grow up.imageimage

<< <i>WELCOME to the forums 6sigma!

We have some time until the jury is out on the Annual Dollar Sets, but until then -- I don't think the perceived value of the 08/07 has been based on the set release. >>

Thanks for the welcome. Am new to this forum but have been collecting since the early 60's. I remember well the '55 Lincoln double-date discovery and the stir that was created since back then most everyone collected the Lincoln series. Bought one gem BU double-date at Paducah, KY for $250 and sold it a week later for $450 ... great profit for a young collector/dealer with only one display case to take from show to show and no shop.

Call it hype if you will, but the analogy seems very similar with what is happening with this year's Silver Eagle. The public has been told that there are 46,318 coins with the '07 reverse out there. Everyone is looking for them, and they cannot be found and accounted for, even in the Dollar Series release which is the last hope.

'Nuff said except I am happy to be part of numismatists with knowledge and love for the hobby.

Do want to take this opportunity say a big "Thank You" to John Nanney. You have done numismatics a great service, sir.
  • Welcome 6SIGMA!!!image
    You came to the right place.The PCGS boards is where you learn a lot from what you know so far about coins. By the way dont forget to turn on your PM (private message) function. You can do that by going to the" Profile" tab on your upper right hand corner.Then under your profile's email address you will find a button to Accept Private Message boxes of Yes or No. Again...image

• << <i>Am new to this forum but have been collecting since the early 60's. >>

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my internet back after my house was struck by lightening last Thursday. Did I miss anything?
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned this would happen soon. It will be interesting to see what it brings!

2008 Dollar Set - Error?
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can call it hype if you want, but prices are higher and will continue to climb if no coins are found in the presidential sets .[/q

You can divide the naysayers into camps....... those that have buyers remorse for not buying the 2008/07 at 25.95 ..meaning they are kicking themselves in the rear...... those that could have bought the 2008/07s from much lower levels on the bay..and finally seller's remorse ..those that sold way too early and left easy money on the table
    The 2008/07s are pointed much higher unless a huge supply from the 2008 sets are found ..I say show the 47,000.. which doesn't existimage
  • >

<< <i>Someone mentioned this would happen soon. It will be interesting to see what it brings!

2008 Dollar Set - Error? >>

<

To me,these kinds of sellers are low lifes,preying on the suckers that don't know any better.These sets have zero chance of having an error in them.If by chance one is found,then i will eat crow,until then,i stand by what i said.
  • another crook with another scam
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>>

<< <i>Someone mentioned this would happen soon. It will be interesting to see what it brings!

2008 Dollar Set - Error? >>

<

To me,these kinds of sellers are low lifes,preying on the suckers that don't know any better.These sets have zero chance of having an error in them.If by chance one is found,then i will eat crow,until then,i stand by what i said. >>

It is a lottery ticket similar to the ones the low-lifes in state govenment sell. Of course with the coins you get something even if you "lose". With the state you get a worthless piece of paper but of course if you win you could buy a truckload of 08/07's. It really only makes sense if you can purchase it for lower than mint price since they are still very much available.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>Someone mentioned this would happen soon. 2008 Dollar Set - Error? >>

I love this part of the sales pitch,

<< <i>The mint will admit that about 46000 were punched with the 07 dies............less than half have been accounted for.......THESE SETS were packaged around that time............. >>

I wonder where he gets his information...? image
    There is a sucker born every minute is what P.T. Barnum used to say.
  • Is anyone surprised??
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone surprised?? >>

No, some here predicted it days ago.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If even one showz up, expect the bay to be immediately FLOODED with zealed mint boxez and zealed shrink wrap setz and all zortz of schtuff! image

I half expect to see some auctions tauting the possibilities anyway! >>

You were right Lee / "19Lyds"

<< <i>

<< <i>If even one showz up, expect the bay to be immediately FLOODED with zealed mint boxez and zealed shrink wrap setz and all zortz of schtuff! image

I half expect to see some auctions tauting the possibilities anyway! >>

You were right Lee / "19Lyds" >>

Why Thank You! image

The name is LEE!
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Gosh, I just hate it when Lee is right...image
  • Excuse me gentleman and I will use that term for the time being. I am the seller and I am neither a CROOK nor a SCAM ARTIST......Perhaps if you had taken a moment to look at my feedback and read thru the listing you would see that I am not selling an error. I am selling the possibility that there might be.......And since I doubt any one of you packaged these yourselfs I would wonder how you have come upon your great knowledge of all things minted.............The old saying......more than one chicken does make a hen house...........Good day
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    image to the CU boards Dice21!

Please stick around, I think this thread just got interesting again!! imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

<< <i>Excuse me gentleman and I will use that term for the time being. I am the seller and I am neither a CROOK nor a SCAM ARTIST......Perhaps if you had taken a moment to look at my feedback and read thru the listing you would see that I am not selling an error. I am selling the possibility that there might be.......And since I doubt any one of you packaged these yourselfs I would wonder how you have come upon your great knowledge of all things minted.............The old saying......more than one chicken does make a hen house...........Good day >>

Well the possibility certainly does exist but since none have been reported, it appears to be way too early to be selling these "currently available from the US Mint" dollar sets spouting that there might be an error coins in them.

Additionally, the following statement cannot be verified as actual fact:

"THESE SETS were packaged around that time............."

Its all speculation and pure Hype!

The name is LEE!
  • What 19Lyds said.

• << <i>Additionally, the following statement cannot be verified as actual fact: "THESE SETS were packaged around that time............." Its all speculation and pure Hype! >>

The very issue I was trying to point-out in my earlier post. Interestingly enough, Dice21 did not address that issue in his reply. image
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    5796, 5797 now

Dice21
    Do you have any 1964 proofs sets sealed in mint boxes?
    Joe
  • Hello, Yes I will address that...........DO YOU have knowledge that the statement is false?..........Please present it and I will change the listing......Show me in written form the exact date these sets were packaged......And also show me in written form the whereabouts of the remaining ERROR's..........Until then opinions and statements about things you know very little about are worth exactly that.......Ps thank you for the welcome.............
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello, Yes I will address that...........DO YOU have knowledge that the statement is false?..........Please present it and I will change the listing......Show me in written form the exact date these sets were packaged......And also show me in written form the whereabouts of the remaining ERROR's..........Until then opinions and statements about things you know very little about are worth exactly that.......Ps thank you for the welcome............. >>

anything is possible ,, however very few are probable..only the unsuspecting would fall for this angle .. this angle in the auction is based on a false premise ....until some of 2008/07s are found in the 2008 sets
    Nothing has to be written .......many of the board members here already know
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file