Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I REALLY hope there are none in this set....then we should see the true potential of this coin. image

-Paul >>

I think you would do a lot better by hoping that half of those already slabbed get infected with the dreaded milk spot disease.
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i> I emailed the seller because he had listed another without the buy-it-now feature and asked him if he wanted to make it a buy-it-now like his last listing...he replied that the other listing was a mistake, the buyer and he agreed not to complete the transaction (he meant to list it for $465 and inadvertantly put it at $265)
    I wonder how this would haved played-out if the buyer would have held the seller to his BIN price? After all, once you press the "button" you've entered into a legal committment to purchase the item. Should it also not hold true for the seller? image >>

<< <i>Legal in whose eyes; the law's or eBay's? >>

IMHO it should make no difference. That is, unless the seller cares little about his ratings or ability to sell on eBay...
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone thought of the monetary impact John Nanney has had on the coin market by revealing this coin? I think he has probably resulted in over 10 million bucks trading hands on these coins alone. And for all the coins that have been submitted to NGC for the discovery, they would have at least given him a discovery slab that costs them all of $.02.

Way to go John Nanney, you are DA MAN!!! How many people here can say they are the REASON so much money has been transferred in the collector industry.
  • Good point Jesse, our host and ATS also owes him a big thank you, he's made the major cert companies well over $150,000.00 that probably wouldn't have been spent minimum too. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Oh well, mine did not ship today for some stupid reason! There is only 45 minutes to go for people to start receiving their coins. Is the mint going to be deluged? Oh, the drama!! DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Received 1 box of 10 sets today

Opened the top and bottom set of the pile

08 Rev on both

Sets pushed aside for later

If any 07 rev in the others I will reply later
    That makes a total of 6.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone thought of the monetary impact John Nanney has had on the coin market by revealing this coin? I think he has probably resulted in over 10 million bucks trading hands on these coins alone. And for all the coins that have been submitted to NGC for the discovery, they would have at least given him a discovery slab that costs them all of $.02.

Way to go John Nanney, you are DA MAN!!! How many people here can say they are the REASON so much money has been transferred in the collector industry. >>

I'm still wondering if their offer is open as mentioned 4600 posts back when they said they'd label halfhunters coin John Nanney Collection.....and I'm almost certain it would go for $10,000.+, if it went up for sale...

• << <i>Oh well, mine did not ship today for some stupid reason! There is only 45 minutes to go for people to start receiving their coins. Is the mint going to be deluged? >>

According to the Aug 10 mint stats report 5,762 '08 Annual Dollar sets have been produced so far. IMO that does not constitute a deluge... imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh well, mine did not ship today for some stupid reason! There is only 45 minutes to go for people to start receiving their coins. Is the mint going to be deluged? >>

According to the Aug 10 mint stats report 5,762 '08 Annual Dollar sets have been produced so far. IMO that does not constitute a deluge... imageimage >>

Not until the issue of " are there any 07 reverses in this batch" is settled.
  • Sorry to report that I got 0/10 delivered today.
    Looks like coin sets for Christmas!!
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    The US Mint site is ........TEMP. DISABLED...........image I guess its the new $1 Jackson's coming out today!
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Chances of receiving 08/07 Rev from the Mint NOW - Slim & NONE!

Sorta strange the comment regarding halfhunter being made today.

Just last night I sincerely congratulated him for the contribution/ impact
    he has made in the Numismatic Community.

As such, this man should be duly compensated and forever recognized. image
  • I had asked a question the other day on this thread that never was responded to.....I apologize if this has been answered before, but....

has anyone ever found a '07 reverse error that had been slabbed by any of the tpg's prior to the "discovery"? thanks image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • I remember one that was in a ER NGC slab that was not reflective of the 08/07 thing. It was quite a while ago when the raws were $220 or so and the MS69 went for around $500. This is a weak recall of events but I do remember seeing the picture on the Bay
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

This is truly a historical Numismatic event worthy of documentation for generations to come.
    There has only been 3 people report today on receiving presidential sets. 16 total coins 0 - 07 rev found
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>There has only been 3 people report today on receiving presidential sets. 16 total coins 0 - 07 rev found >>

i'll be really surprised if anyone finds any in this set.. having said that, and since I didn't order any, someone will find some :-/

by the way, don't forget, tomorrow, the 15nd of the month, is the one day a month you can upload a custom Avatar.. you can add one any time you want from the personal settings, by choosing one of the "off the shelf" ones.. but only on the 15rd of each month can you upload a custom one..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
    I will try to upload one but I will be surprised if I can do it.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There has only been 3 people report today on receiving presidential sets. 16 total coins 0 - 07 rev found >>

Count another 0 for 8 on the.. 2008/07s ..collector friend got his sets delivered today.. makes me wonder about the 150 sets my coin club ordered

<< <i>

Count another 0 for 8 on the.. 2008/07s ..collector friend got his sets delivered today.. makes me wonder about the 150 sets my coin club ordered >>

is the [x] cancel button still there?.. I really don't think these sets are gonna have any 08/07s in them.. others can argue the point, and probably will, and already have.. but I'll say it again.. there's just too much anecdotal and photographic evidence of 2008-W ASEs arriving with their capsules open, coins missing, fingerprints on them, to chalk up to anything but a mad rush in Memphis to find them and yank them from pre-packed boxes, once the Mint realized what it hath wrought and tried to do everything it could to stop any more from getting out.. so far they've admitted 46,318 were made.. we still don't know how many escaped.. will we ever know?..

were there so many 2006-W and 2007-W ASEs that arrived in customers' hands with so many disheveled blue boxes and open capsules and fingerprints?..

but if any show up in these Presidential DollEr sets.. I'll be VERY surprised..

after your shirnkwrap-slitting festival.. I think you're going to find yourself in possession of 150 normal 2008-W coins in those 150 sets.. if so, what're you going to do with them?..

then again, if I'm wrong and there are some lurking in these sets.. an early order of 150 sets should tell the tale.. not many reports yet, but so far.. nada..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what are we gonna do with them....

RETURN THEM

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Count another 0 for 8 on the.. 2008/07s ..collector friend got his sets delivered today.. makes me wonder about the 150 sets my coin club ordered >>

If they aren't there, you guys just planning to return them? Might as well make money off the mint products when it works out but abuse the return policy when it doesn't, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    RETURN THEM

they take everything back

as long as the policy is in place. I make use of it. Not abusing anything. 100% legit.

REASON: Did not want them anymore.....check.....
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the check the box options for reasons to return coins on the US Mint's return form, clearly states...."Changed my mind".
    Changing your mind is a legit reason to return coins to the US Mint per the US Mint's return policy.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legit doesn't mean not abusing the policy.
    If it wasn't legit, it would be cheating the policy.
    As it is, I stand by my opinion that folks buying just to get into these and look for something specific, with NO intention of keeping any that aren't that specific "error" coin, are abusing the mint's policy.

You all are fine with it, and you sleep well at night....as long as you make money. That's fine.
    I have a bit of a high horse and view myself as having higher moral standards so I don't play that part of the game...if I order something from the mint, it is with the intention of keeping it unless it is damaged.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

if The Mint gets thousands of these Presidental DollEr sets back from those "in the know" hoping they held 08/07s.. (meaning I'm sure there are collectors who still don't know the 08/07s even exist..) .. I can forsee a scenario where The Mint bigwigs are sittin' around a conference table and decide to change their return policy.. don't ask me HOW they'd change it.. but dontcha think?..

now if even ONE 08/07 is reported in one of these sets, then all Hell is gonna break loose and there'll be an ordering frenzy.. and a lot of the frenzied orderers are gonna get sets that were returned and put into new shrink-wrap.. and the order-takers at The Mint are gonna be scratching their heads wondering what is going on..

so.. so far, none reported in these sets, but they're just starting to show up, mainly to those who got expedited shipping.. the folks who didn't pay the extra money, or who placed an <$300.00 order will be waitin' a while.. while some of us are sitting on the "let's wait and see if any turn up" bench.. however, say someone says they got one in one of these sets and proves it with an un-doctored photograph.. then the bench sitters turn into orderers, and that still doesn't guarantee anything, as later orderers could easily end up with sets from previous orders that were returned.. OR.. The Mint might say "aw fer.. we did it again!" and start ripping through these sets looking for 08/07s, replacing them, (which would be a more labor-intensive process since they're inside a bubble between laminated cardboard in a slip-cased holder, not just an easily-opened capsule in a little blue box..) .. what a mess..

me, i'm putting money in a jar to save up for the 2009 Ultra High Relief Saint reproduction.. when I saw the pictures in the latest CW, that did it for me.. well.. not quite.. what'll do it for me will be the price.. and who knows how they'll price it since it's so far off, and who knows what Gold will be half a year or more from now when they're released?.. Gold dropped below $800/oz today.. a seven-month low.. who knows what that UHR's price will be when it's finally released?.. and since that beautiful monster will have NO Mintage limit.. there'll be no mad rush to buy them, but that is one gorgeous hunk'o metal!.. {{drool slobber}}..

the way I see it, if the raw and MS69 08/07s hold their price or keep going up.. it won't even take the money you'd get selling two of THOSE to buy one UHR.. assuming they price it at under a grand.. a trade i would make in a NY minute if the UHR was for sale now at under a grand..

Harv
  • Well, I hope you're proud of yourselves....I went and did it....bought one off the bay tonight....another lemming.....or is that the Pied Piper

I hear in the distance? Sure, after a gazillion posts here, I jumped in......wish me luck on this "investment"! I think I need some

re-assurance that I did the right thing.......imageimage It is an NGC er ms70 .... the Dali Lama promised me total consciousness when

I die...so I've got that goin for me.....image here's to the rich and the wise image

The Beatles
  • Just opened 2 out of 10...............NG

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    NG? Not guilty?
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    My 10 are at home via FEDEX today...debating whether to open them or not (I have until quitin' time to figure it out).

I'll likely keep a few as I'm in for the series (please don't whip me...it has an ASE...can't help myself).
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • How's the "quality" of these critters? I didn't order any, but a friend told me the Pres$'s are no better than what's in a circ roll.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed a drop in prices for these 08/07 coins due to the fall in the silver market?
  • No.The price of silver has nothing to do with these coins.
    I JUST OPENED 10 and had 0 for 10. Looks like there are not going to be any in these sets. If that is the case the price of these things is going up!
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

what a total and complete waste of time and effort ordering the dollar set expecting a Rev silver dollar error.

• Mine are scheduled to arrive on Monday. I plan to open 2 of them to check for 08/07 ASEs but I'm keeping them unless the sets are damaged. I bought these last year as well and I plan to collect them.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I JUST OPENED 10 and had 0 for 10. Looks like there are not going to be any in these sets. If that is the case the price of these things is going up! >>

it is still early ..but not looking good.....coin club will keep some , and donate the rest of the sets not having the 2008/07.. returning sets to Mint is not our optionimage
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Let's see?

If there is say 27,000 already out then that leaves only 20,000 unacounted for.
    With 100,000 mintage on these sets there is a 1 in 5 chance of finding some.

With only 10,000 unacounted for the chance is only 1 n 10 sets.

With them being made together they will (if found) will show up all at once.

Just like originally, the first bunch of orders had none and then over a 3-4 week period they showed up and then disappeared.

We will have to wait a little longer to say none are available in these sets and be ready to order quickly if found.

Joe

My 8 will arrive Monday morning. I will open 2 and put the other 6 away.

<< <i>No.The price of silver has nothing to do with these coins. >>

the price of the 08/07s is as just as tied to the spot price of Silver, as the price of a 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent is tied to the price of a ton of Copper.. no relationship at all.. the 08/07s aren't going to drop in price just because Silver is in the toilet..

Harv
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0-5 ... quality is great. I'm not returning mine ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Let's see?

If there is say 27,000 already out then that leaves only 20,000 unacounted for.
    With 100,000 mintage on these sets there is a 1 in 5 chance of finding some.
    . >>

Thats how many have been graded, I would think that the majority of people don't get coins graded so that it could easily explain the entire mintage. These were probably packaged well after the finding and were not delivered in little boxes to packaging, so even if some would have been shipped there would have been tons of time and fore warning for the mint to remove any. The chance are near zero that any will be found with these sets. There were none left to get put in and if there was there was plenty of time to remove them.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats how many have been graded, I would think that the majority of people don't get coins graded so that it could easily explain the entire mintage. >>

I've collected 3 to 5 of the Silver Eagles since 1986 and had no idea what I had other than the fact that they looked purty..........................and I knew I wanted to buy these every year!

I did not have any graded until December of 2003 so...............since I consider myself typical, I would expect that the graded amounts represent every coin that has been received by a collector or speculator that knows exactly what they are and what their values are. I also expect that a fair number or the collectors and speculators have a certain number that they have specifically kept raw.

So, the population reports can be an indicator but only for what has been graded.

To throw some more sugar in the oil, many were cracked at around the 3rd or 4th week of the selling frenzy because folks wanted their shot at an MS70 and were actually paying more for raw coins than graded coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I am really hoping that none are found in the presidential sets. It is still early but I have ordered another 10 sets and will probably will do so again in a week or so just to be sure. If you wait until somebody finds some you will probably be too late to get in on getting some. The coin sets I have looked at appear to be much better than the run of the mill coins I have seen and should be a good place for some high quality coins.
    If even one showz up, expect the bay to be immediately FLOODED with zealed mint boxez and zealed shrink wrap setz and all zortz of schtuff! image

I half expect to see some auctions tauting the possibilities anyway!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this thread did not get moved to the precious metals forum?
    Believe me, this has nothing to do with precious metals, this is just another mint screw up.
  • Mint shipped my set today....only bought one but I'm hoping it's THE one! Lit a candle, said a prayer....."oh, let it be a reverse 07" Amen image

The Beatles

<< <i>I'm surprised this thread did not get moved to the precious metals forum? >>

Why Ben?

We're talking about a Silver Eagle and not spouting about how badly we're getting dumped on because of the price of an ounce of Silver.

Besides, I don't think anybody picked these up because silver was headed to the moon. image

The name is LEE!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I thought we couldn't talk polyticks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file