Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That is correct.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auctions continue to narrow in quantity. Prices firming up more -- anything under $500 is more of an exception now.

Precious metals falling -- perhaps more interest in collectibles than metals?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

• << <i>I was under the impression that if you submit now for FS, you have to be a dealer. PCGS no longer accepts from the regular guy for FS. It doesn't matter if your box is sealed or not. >>

I wounder if any dealers will submit seal boxes for you. ( US ) ???

• << <i>If the coins are still in the sealed Fedex box and the Fedex shipping label is dated before PCGS's First Strike cut off date it is good to go. >>

I thought we were talking about 2008 dollar sets.....Those coins are well past the date for FS designation. Just because they put coins in a new holder doesn't make the coins new....

Am I way off here???? I seem to be the only one not getting it......old (months) coins....new holder....Maybe there can be a "First Package" designation
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO, the USM return policy clearly states that "for any reason" you may return the items within 30 days of your receipt.

That includes slitting the shrink wrap package to see the coins to determine if I am happy with them or not

If they want to change the policy, then change it.

No need for a shrinkwrap machine or anyone's services to re-wrap packages, they will take them back.

I dsiagree with many posts here that there will be NONE found in the dollar sets.

Too many unaccounted for error coins.

MY opinion------------------

Packaging of these sets most likely completed in SWEET SPOT of finding these coins----remember----collector strikes for single coin sales must have been the first available or earliest minted, of which the SUBSCRIPTIONS were filled.

Almost ZERO 08/07 were found in early single coin format SUBSCRIPTION orders.

Between 4/8 and 5/4 delivery dates (approx.) with 4/20-4/25 being the sweet spot for loads of these errors released, seems to be the second WAVE of production.....(i'm not implying that the actual minting occurred then, just the pile was dug into a little deeper for the added sales in the 4-5th week of release)

These sets would have been produced probably after the first wave of production as that was reserved for single coin format sales.

Please post your finds, if any.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the coins are still in the sealed Fedex box and the Fedex shipping label is dated before PCGS's First Strike cut off date it is good to go. >>

I thought we were talking about 2008 dollar sets.....Those coins are well past the date for FS designation. Just because they put coins in a new holder doesn't make the coins new....

Am I way off here???? I seem to be the only one not getting it......old (months) coins....new holder....Maybe there can be a "First Package" designation >>

image No FS designation for any by chance found in these annual dollar sets.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got a shipment date on the XA2 sets, or are they all in backorder status?

I tried to order a few and keep getting "errored" out at the website.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • 2008 ANNUAL UNCIRCULATED DOLLAR COIN SET 10 $37.95 $379.50 In stock and reserved

That's what the sets I ordered yesterday say....
    I ordered mine 2 minutes afer the buzzer and am also in stock and reserved but on hold.
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone got a shipment date on the XA2 sets, or are they all in backorder status?

I tried to order a few and keep getting "errored" out at the website. >>

Ordered mine on 08-07 and the mint pulled their payment the same day! My order status still shows to be on hold and nothing is listed under Shipping Method. Can't wait to get them and check for this error. image
    I just ordered 10 more and there is only 18000 orders between the 2 orders.
  • 18,000 orders is alot . Consider that alot of them orders
    are for multiples...........................

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
    Yea its a lot but those orders are for all the products too.
    Prices are really starting to look good. With the amount of listings starting to drop the prices are on the increase which will cause more profit taking from the week kneed people for another round of quick gains.

HOLD!!! HOLD!!! HOLD!!!

The prices are still going higher.

• << <i>

<< <i>Ok....help me understand this....How can the coins (that have been out for quite awhile) get "First strike" designation????? >>

If the coins are still in the sealed Fedex box and the Fedex shipping label is dated before PCGS's First Strike cut off date it is good to go. PCGS will recognize them as First Strike label years , decades and centuries from now.image >>

That is not entirely true............

I have some Philadelphia sets of Gold and Silver American Eagles still sealed from 1993 with first issue postmarks.
    I asked PCGS if I could submit them for FS and I got a very clear NO................

I don't think they want to create some odd rarities and disrupt registry sets by having guys drag in stuff that is 10+ years old.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The outside holder is sealed in cellophane and you can not view the coins without removing the cellophane. >>

another lotto ticket for the 2008/07s ???? ...if 2008/07s are found .....prices for the 2008/07s will nosedive
    bestday

if coins are found (08/07, which IMO they will be) in these dollar sets, they are part of the original estimate of 47,000 by the USM and confirmed by the FOIA request.......

no impact on total extant, just impact on what is available....
    Something had to have happened to these coins somewhere along the line. If there are a bunch found in the presidential sets it will explain a lot but will not reduce the price in the long term. If not then the price will continue to climb until they are found. If it is established that the mint destroyed some the price will climb.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Why do so many people think these sets were produced so many months ago? For as slow as the Mint has gotten
    with all the product options, I see no reason to believe these have been sitting on shelves for months. If you can
    show otherwise, I'd appreciate it.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do so many people think these sets were produced so many months ago? For as slow as the Mint has gotten
    with all the product options, I see no reason to believe these have been sitting on shelves for months. If you can
    show otherwise, I'd appreciate it. >>

I don't think they are saying these were produced months ago as much as they are implying that a certain amount was set aside for inclusion in the sets which could possibly have 2008 Rev of 07 coins in it.

It's a basic roll of the dice of which I too am waiting to see the results of my 10.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The outside holder is sealed in cellophane and you can not view the coins without removing the cellophane. >>

another lotto ticket for the 2008/07s ???? ...if 2008/07s are found .....prices for the 2008/07s will nosedive >>

I could see someone trying to claim one found in the set as a scam to drop prices then buying them up as the fearful panic sell. I think more likely that these sets contain the reject/return coins. Kind of like hot dogs- a new product made from the scraps.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    Wow, I just got a "best offer" of $150 for an NGC ms70. The high rollers are out in force today.image
  • I see sellers are getting greedy on the buy it nows and they are not selling.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these things still going for moon money???

MS69_____

MS69FS_____

MS70_____

MS70FS______
  • >

<< <i>Are these things still going for moon money???<

MS69_____

MS69FS_____

MS70_____

MS70FS______ >>

Raw coins are pretty much on course with the graded 69's.

<< <i>I see sellers are getting greedy on the buy it nows and they are not selling. >>

Why sell low to a flipper or tv merchant who will turn around and resell at "greedy" prices?

• << <i>

<< <i>I see sellers are getting greedy on the buy it nows and they are not selling. >>

>Why sell low to a flipper or tv merchant who will turn around and resell at "greedy" prices? >>

<

Why price yourself out of anyone buying it?
    the single coin product (UNC-W) was first to be offered this year. the first coins produced were reserved for orders in single coin format.

these dollar sets dont get packaged overnight. nor does the mint wait around for single coin format REJECTS or RETURNS to produce these sets.

production of these sets had to have been in the APRIL to JUNE period, the first two months of which would be within the sweet spot of deliveries of the error eagles.

all in, there are nowhere near the amt of error eagles extant that the USM claims to have produced.

IMO, we will see some coming in these sets....
    Well that would not be smart since auctions cost money. On ebay you can at least review "best offers" just in case you are too high for the current market. I think that is the best way to go but you have to be ready for some low balls.

<< <i>the single coin product (UNC-W) was first to be offered this year. the first coins produced were reserved for orders in single coin format.

these dollar sets dont get packaged overnight. nor does the mint wait around for single coin format REJECTS or RETURNS to produce these sets.

production of these sets had to have been in the APRIL to JUNE period, the first two months of which would be within the sweet spot of deliveries of the error eagles.

all in, there are nowhere near the amt of error eagles extant that the USM claims to have produced.

IMO, we will see some coming in these sets.... >>

you sound sure about your points. do you know someone at the mint?
    There are just too many coins missing to be all in unopened boxes people are holding!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are just too many coins missing to be all in unopened boxes people are holding! >>

Exactly what are you basing this on? Population reports?

If so, then the 'missing' coins might very well be where the 362,856 2006-W coins that haven't been graded are located at.

Not everybody that received these knows what they have or has them graded. It is even possible that the folks that have them do not know enough or even care enough to know exactly what they are. They buy these simply because they buy stuff from the US Mint to leave something to thier kids or grand kids.

Personally, I find the pop reports to be incredibly high sitting at 34% graded compared to only 23% graded for the 2006-W coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are just too many coins missing to be all in unopened boxes people are holding! >>

I can hear all the lurkers & bammed ex-members really laughing now!image
    They could very well be in that batch. We will know shortly when they start shipping them out.

<< <i>the single coin product (UNC-W) was first to be offered this year. the first coins produced were reserved for orders in single coin format.

IMO, we will see some coming in these sets.... >>

It would be very odd if the mint produced the coins used in these sets at a different time from when they made all of the other 2008 burnished ASE's. I just don't think they produce one coin and then come back months later and produce it again. If they did, they would get behind in their production schedule. The 2007 Annual Dollar Sets also have not sold well (although they are $6 less than the 2008 set) so they might have waited to start the 2008 sets in an effort to sell more of the 2007s, which are still available from the mint. This could also be the reason why so few of the estimated 47,000 2008 ASE's with the '07 reverse have surfaced, but only time will tell. If any of the 2008's in these sets are found with the '07 reverse, it will only increase demand to own one and the prices will shoot for the moon!
  • there may have been a break in their minting.

Whatever became of the mint-instituted cessation of SAE sales? Didn't they run low on silver at one point? Probably just slow on getting them to their suppliers. I don't recall the entire story.

I have a feeling that much more is left to be written in the saga of this coin.

• << <i>If so, then the 'missing' coins might very well be where the 362,856 2006-W coins that haven't been graded are located at >>

Good point! I don't think we will see any in these sets (I did order 10). Why wouldn't someone look at the coins before they were placed in the sets and pull out the 08/07's?? It wouldn't take much time out of packaging.....

Another thought about the raw 362k of 2006-W's......They must be in collectors hands....Those same collectors will want the ungraded 08/07's...probably only 25k or less to go around
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If so, then the 'missing' coins might very well be where the 362,856 2006-W coins that haven't been graded are located at >>

Good point! I don't think we will see any in these sets (I did order 10). Why wouldn't someone look at the coins before they were placed in the sets and pull out the 08/07's?? It wouldn't take much time out of packaging.....

Another thought about the raw 362k of 2006-W's......They must be in collectors hands....Those same collectors will want the ungraded 08/07's...probably only 25k or less to go around >>

coin club threw in an order for 150...

• << <i>coin club threw in an order for 150 >>

Methinks the Mint will soon be revising their return policy....This dollar set could be the straw......Hundreds of opened packages that can't be resold without repackaging...nightmare
    I ordered 20 but they are still on hold but in stock and reserved.

Just checked my credit card. It has been hit for the first 10, so, I would assume that I can expect delivery this week.
  • Did anybody used express service for this set or just the ordinary 1-2 week shipping? would be interesting to find out the results sooner than later.image
    let's see who the first person will be to find the coveted 08/07 ASE in these sets....please paste a pic when and if you do......
    the USM is getting very fast in hitting your CC lately, they reserve against your available credit as soon as you hit the place order button.........................................................

they used to wait until the coin when in stock and reserved...cancel button gone.....

not anymore.....
    I ordered 10 of the sets. I just wonder if I will be getting any of the ones I returned to the mint earlier? No matter, I will be keeping these.

<< <i>I ordered 20 but they are still on hold but in stock and reserved.

Just checked my credit card. It has been hit for the first 10, so, I would assume that I can expect delivery this week. >>

Hey did you check the fedex al ref tracking? Remember this is the first sign that they are on the way....

<< <i>Did anybody used express service for this set or just the ordinary 1-2 week shipping? would be interesting to find out the results sooner than later.image >>

Everybody ordering more than $300 worth gets automatic free expedited delivery, so that would be almost everybody here....image
    Hopefully the Mint's website will be updated tomorrow. I placed my order on August 7th and the mint pulled their money the same day. The order status still shows to be on hold and no shipping method is listed but mine will be sent Fed Ex so they should be here next week!
  • I'm going to buy only one. I figure it's like buying a lotto ticket....long odds....but you can't win if you don't play! image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Has anyone reported receiving a burnished ASE with the '07 reverse from the Mint in the past month?

If the ASE in question aren't in the Dollar Coin Sets, they may have been melted.

They're sure not in collectors' hands or eBay would be flooded with them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file