Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    19lyds .. I'll pay you $500 for the PCGS MS69 with the reverse in the front of the slab.....I need one to complete my reverse, obverse PCGS collection ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Did that issue regarding "reflective" and "normal" surfaces on these coins just go away >>

It seems so....But I still have some very nice "shineys" in my posession
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>19lyds .. I'll pay you $500 for the PCGS MS69 with the reverse in the front of the slab.....I need one to complete my reverse, obverse PCGS collection .... >>

Latest PCGS pops for 08/07 First Strikes:

68 - 1
    69 - 1500
    70 - 168

I think all PCGS FS will probably increase in the long term.
    NOTE: I have no First Strikes in this coin, or any other coin actually....a few ER but that's it.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Thats what I am going to do. I have 10 of last years so I may as well continue them.

<< <i>

<< <i>19lyds .. I'll pay you $500 for the PCGS MS69 with the reverse in the front of the slab.....I need one to complete my reverse, obverse PCGS collection .... >>

68 - 1
    69 - 1500
    70 - 168

NOTE: I have no First Strikes in this coin, or any other coin actually....a few ER but that's it. >>

I doubt that the first strikes will increase. If anyone has them in unopened boxes they will open the boxes to see if there are any errors and will not be able to get first strikes at that point. What you see for first strikes is about it,

<< <i>

<< <i>

68 - 1
    69 - 1500
    70 - 168

NOTE: I have no First Strikes in this coin, or any other coin actually....a few ER but that's it. >>

I doubt that the first strikes will increase. If anyone has them in unopened boxes they will open the boxes to see if there are any errors and will not be able to get first strikes at that point. What you see for first strikes is about it, >>

All PCGS modern graded pop. reports have a tendency to increase over time. Just keep an eye out. BTW the pop. report for the 20th AGE & ASE FS still keep increasing ... figure that. The price most certainly will increase for the FS over the non FS graded PCGS ones.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee, it's good to have a contrarian view here (if I may so characterize your comments). Stirs things up, and keeps the thread going. image >>

I'll double wink that! imageimage
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Did that issue regarding "reflective" and "normal" surfaces on these coins just go away? >>

It appears so.

Some of the coins do have an almost satiny glimmer to them but they definitely are not reverse proofs as some had suggested.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

No you won't! image

The name is LEE!
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Whoa momma! A couple of NGC graded reverses of '07 just closed for some pretty nice prices.

Here's a 70 that just closed at $887

eBay Link

And here's a 69 that closed at just about $500...not bad.

eBay Link

Hope these keep going on up...I have 4 70's and 21 69's, including two that are in NGC multi-holders with reverses of '08. image

-Paul
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did that issue regarding "reflective" and "normal" surfaces on these coins just go away? >>

It appears so.

Some of the coins do have an almost satiny glimmer to them but they definitely are not reverse proofs as some had suggested. >>

I'd call it more than a satiny glimmer, a side by side of a flat matte and the reflective, Shiny, or whatever we wanna call it stands out big time.

<< <i>

I doubt that the first strikes will increase. If anyone has them in unopened boxes they will open the boxes to see if there are any errors and will not be able to get first strikes at that point. What you see for first strikes is about it, >>

Oops Pitboss- I should have clarified I think the value of these FS will increase with time, not the populations (give or take a few of course).
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10

<< <i>Whoa momma! A couple of NGC graded reverses of '07 just closed for some pretty nice prices.

Here's a 70 that just closed at $887

eBay Link

And here's a 69 that closed at just about $500...not bad.

eBay Link

Hope these keep going on up...I have 4 70's and 21 69's, including two that are in NGC multi-holders with reverses of '08. image

-Paul >>

"Chicken feed" compared to the PCGS MS69 FS .. $520 - $605

PCGS FS MS69

Last FS PCGS MS70 to sell on eBay ..... $2500

PCGS MS70 FS
    I will agree with that 100%.

Is anyone going to buy any of the presidential dollar set today beside me?
    I guess not!
    Do we have a running estimate of the number accounted for by the tpgs?

<< <i>Do we have a running estimate of the number accounted for by the tpgs? >>

I don't , but I would guess between 15,000 and 20,000. Thats a lot of missing coins!

<< <i>I will agree with that 100%.

Is anyone going to buy any of the presidential dollar set today beside me? >>

I ordered 20 sets. 10 and 10
    Me too, hey what's up with the backorder status? Order #2959XXXX
  • I expect some jerk ordered 1000+ with plan to return them if no 07/08s.

It is just a matter of time before some jerk kills the mint return policy.......................

<< <i>Me too, hey what's up with the backorder status? Order #2959XXXX >>

Mine is also 2959xxxx
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I am that jerk! image

Jeff
  • Good of you to confess.
    I didn't order any of these last year, so my question is:
    Are the coins in individual capsules? Or are they sealed like the current Mint sets?

If it's the former, then we will never know for sure if some dork replaces the 08/08 capsule
    with an 08/07 capsule.

• It would be difficult but not impossible to replace one.
    The outside holder is sealed in cellophane and you can not view the coins without removing the cellophane.
    Interesting, an NGC ER 69 closed on bids 8/5 for over $600.00 link

• << <i>Is anyone going to buy any of the presidential dollar set today beside me? >>

Me.....I'm gonna git me 10

<< <i>I didn't order any of these last year, so my question is:
    Are the coins in individual capsules? Or are they sealed like the current Mint sets?

If it's the former, then we will never know for sure if some dork replaces the 08/08 capsule
    with an 08/07 capsule.

image >>

The coins are in individual, rotatable, capsules. To remove a coin from a capsule would require nearly destroying the entire package by separating the two pieces that are laminated together holding all six capsules in place. I do not think the US Mint would accept such a return.

As for Mr. 1,000 on the order, thanks buddy! It must be nice to have a $35,000 limit on your card(s)!

The name is LEE!
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone going to buy any of the presidential dollar set today beside me? >>

Me.....I'm gonna git me 10 >>

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I was only kidding when I said "I was the jerk" - Favre is the jerk!

Jeff
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't order any of these last year, so my question is:

with an 08/07 capsule. >>

The coins are in individual, rotatable, capsules. To remove a coin from a capsule would require nearly destroying the entire package by separating the two pieces that are laminated together holding all six capsules in place. I do not think the US Mint would accept such a return.

As for Mr. 1,000 on the order, thanks buddy! It must be nice to have a $35,000 limit on your card(s)! >>

Hey...that gives me an idea image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting, an NGC ER 69 closed on bids 8/5 for over $600.00 link >>

Wow!!!! ....... 46 bids ......the bull in the 2008/07s , is setting up for a charge much higher..in the face of a weak economy ..I believe price was a new high for the NGC 69 ERs
    If the 69's are going to start selling for $600 what are the 70's going to do and this was an NGC coin. Where are the PCGS coins going to go.
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I just placed my order for some of these too. It is very possible some will have 2008 ASE's with the '07 reverse. Guess we will all find out soon!

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting, an NGC ER 69 closed on bids 8/5 for over $600.00 link >>

Wow!!!! ....... 46 bids ......the bull in the 2008/07s , is setting up for a charge much higher..in the face of a weak economy ..I believe price was a new high for the NGC 69 ERs >>

Grr, what a surprise, I just sold 3 of mine for the low $500's. Ah well, $1000 is going towards bills and I already bought a 1/2 oz AGE with the rest, so I'm still happy image
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I just placed my order for some of these too. It is very possible some will have 2008 ASE's with the '07 reverse. Guess we will all find out soon! >>

I think it is possible also if the ASE's were produced and set aside for these sets.
    I ordered two...
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to change the subject, but I believe the first strike labeled 08REV07 populations will start stalling out. The reasons being that:
    1. PCGS recognized the 08REV07 close to the same day as the first strike cut off date. I played heck getting my 08REV07 coins post marked April 23rd(the cut off date). Made it to the post office with 5 minutes before closing.
    2. Now only dealers can submit to PCGS for first strike labeling. That cuts out all non-dealers who have sealed FedEx boxes.
    3. The coins are so valueable now that most owners of sealed FedEx boxes open them to see if they scored any 08REV07 ASE and don't bother submitting in sealed FedEx boxes.

Just my opinion.
    You are so right!!!
    Hi..

Regarding those 2008 sets with the ASE in the middle.. since the set is sleeved, you have to slit the shrinkwrap and slide out the folder to see the Reverse of the ASE, due to the way the holder is constructed, will The Mint even accept returns if the shrinkwrap is slit or removed?..

the game in play here is some of youze guys are going to order piles of these sets, hoping to strike "Gold" as it were by getting the error coin in the middle, but you have to slit the shrinkwrap to get at the holder.. to see the Reverse..

so you get a normal coin.. then what?..

on EVERY US Mint packing list they give five reasons for returning something -

- arrived too late
    - changed my mind
    - wrong product received
    - packaging damaged
    - contents damaged

so you order 100 of these sets, rip the shrinkwrap off of every one, and don't get any 08/07s.. (i really don't think there ARE any in this set, but it's too soon to know..) ..
    so then what?.. do you own a shrinkwrap machine?.. you going to send back 100 sets and check off [x] changed my mind? intentionally damage them on purpose and check [x] damaged?..

are you gonna throw them up on eBay as a pot luck auction with the shrinkwrap still intact and say "hey, there could be an 08/07 ASE in this set.. so spin the wheel and take your chances?".. that'd make sense ONLY if someone reports even ONE of these sets contains an 08/07.. until then, it wouldn't make any sense at all..

suppose the former happens, and The Mint gets a bajillion returns.. what are they gonna do with them?.. if they're not damaged, they're just gonna re-shrinkwrap them and send them out to someone else.. those someone elses, if they're hip to the 08/07 coins, are gonna do the same thing you did..

pretty soon, someone at The Mint is gonna wise up and figure out what's going on and why all these sets are getting returned with the shrinkwrap slit.. and change their return policy..

did they make these sets a few months ago when the 08/07s WERE getting shipped?.. does anyone know for a fact either way, WHEN these sets were assembled and packaged?..

by the way.. in another lifetime back in the 1980s, a friend an I created a software package of custom fonts, which we packaged as a floppy disk and manual inside one of those white, clamshell cases (kind of like a DVD case but long before DVDs.. we made 300 or 500 of them and shrinkwrapped every one of them.. but we didn't have and couldn't afford a "production line" type shrinkwrap machine.. we did it with the "DIY" type.. a huge roll of the special plastic wrap and a heat gun, which looks like a blow dryer for hair except it gets a LOT hotter..

when shrinkwrapping those hundreds of boxes, the fumes from the heated wrap is so freakin' toxic, we had to have every window open and fans blowing and still had to go outside for air every so often, otherwise we'd have passed out from the vapors coming off that heated plastic wrap.. it's really an ugly, stinky process to manually shrinkwrap stuff.. and you have to be really precise doing it.. waving that heat gun back and forth just enough to shrink the plastic down tight but not too much or you'll melt it, and not too little or it'll be loose.. feh!.. I never wanna go through that again..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • All we need now is for PCGS to accept sealed Annual Dollar sets for FS designation.
    I don't own any of these but can't you just turn it over to see the back of the coins, looks to me like it is double sided see through packaging? Oh, forget it, I assume the thing is inside a folder sleeve that is shrinkwrapped...

<< <i>I don't own any of these but can't you just turn it over to see the back of the coins, looks to me like it is double sided see through packaging? Oh, forget it, I assume the thing is inside a folder sleeve that is shrinkwrapped... >>

yes.. it's inside a shrinkwrapped sleeve.. so you have to at minimum slit the shrinkwrap at the mouth of the sleeve to slide the folding thing out to see the coins at all.. Obverse OR Reverse.. it's packaged like all of the Coin and Currency sets, or some recent Modern Commemorative special sets.. not like Mint sets which come in a simple cardboard box with no shrinkwrap..

Harv
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All we need now is for PCGS to accept sealed Annual Dollar sets for FS designation. >>

There shouldn't be any reason why they would not accept the set for First Strike designation as long as they get it or its dated within the first 30 days. It should even be accepted for FS if the outer shrink wrap has been removed since the coins are still sealed into the holder, which prevents them from being swapped.
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Um, I do have an industrial shrink wrap machine...if anyone needs the service, let me know (via PM).

I'll charge ya $1 per shrink wrapped piece, plus postage to get the units back to you...sorry to blatantly advertise, but thought I'd try to help a bit (now, is this ethical?)

Oops! Edited to add I don't know if my shrink wrapper will encase the set exactly the way the Mint does it...once I receive my sets, I'll let everyone know.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
    If PCGS does accept them for first strike, it will have to be submitted by a dealer. No personal submissions anymore.
  • Ok....help me understand this....How can the coins (that have been out for quite awhile) get "First strike" designation????? Makes no sense to me...Mid strike, 3/4 strike, last strike would fit better. Just because the set is released now doesn't make the coins first strike......Help me here image

edited for spelling
    In order to view both sides of the coins the shrink wrap must be removed and the shrink wrap is not required to return an item to the US Mint as long as the package itself has not been tampered with.

Even then, it could be possible as who's to say whether or not the recipient didn't receive a package that was damaged. However, I'm quite certain that if 100 tampered packages were returned that the US Mint would question the customer.

They're big but they ain;t dumb as I'm sure they've seen it all.

Edited to correct:

Correction, to view ANY of the coins, the shrink wrap must be removed as the folding holder fits within a covering slip.

The name is LEE!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok....help me understand this....How can the coins (that have been out for quite awhile) get "First strike" designation????? >>

If the coins are still in the sealed Fedex box and the Fedex shipping label is dated before PCGS's First Strike cut off date it is good to go. PCGS will recognize them as First Strike label years , decades and centuries from now.image
  • I was under the impression that if you submit now for FS, you have to be a dealer. PCGS no longer accepts from the regular guy for FS. It doesn't matter if your box is sealed or not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file