Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Thanks Harv....by the time I found it and posted the item number Jesse and you had already found it and posted it.....

There will be a bidding war on his next listing I'm sure because now everyone knows the "secret obscure" way he posted his item..

later guys....image p.s. Coinman....that's still out of my price range....I'll sit and wait awhile, see what happens...image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>luckyman, that one for $371 was what i was talking about in my previous post when i said to buy low. even better if you got them from the mint for $26 bucks.image same thing applied to the `06 anniv. sets. image

>>

tell me who to ask for at The Mint and what the secret password is to get some for $26.00 and i'm there, Beavis..

I believe he got $371.00 due to the wording of his title.. and for no other reason.. i can spot at least three mistakes in that title that would make it hard to find in a search.. he says he has a bunch more to sell and has already listed another with the exact same title.. some people do category searches, some do keyword searches.. I do the latter..

{{gulping down that beer}}..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Hello Harv! Nice to see your friendly face. Would you mind repeating how the grading companies determine a "first strike" designation? Thanks, Gayla
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    When you don't know what you are doing listing items you sure get burned!

<< <i>Hello Harv! Nice to see your friendly face. Would you mind repeating how the grading companies determine a "first strike" designation? Thanks, Gayla >>

just go to pcgs.com and find "glossary" on the front page and click on that and look for "First Strike" and there you go..

except they've changed the rules in the past couple of months and individual normal human beans can't get that designation any more.. only "bulk submitters", i.e., dealers..

NGC's designation is "Early Releases" which is just a different way of saying the same thing.. except they haven't changed their rules, so you don't have to be a bulk submitted to get "ER" from them.. I don't think the other guys (ANACS, ICG, and so on).. have any such designation, or maybe they do..

friendly face?.. moi?..

well, I guess that's friendly.. i mean it's a smile, isn't it?.. Wendy?.. heh heh..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

• << <i>

<< <i>luckyman, that one for $371 was what i was talking about in my previous post when i said to buy low. even better if you got them from the mint for $26 bucks.image same thing applied to the `06 anniv. sets. image

>>

tell me who to ask for at The Mint and what the secret password is to get some for $26.00 and i'm there, Beavis..

I believe he got $371.00 due to the wording of his title.. and for no other reason.. i can spot at least three mistakes in that title that would make it hard to find in a search.. he says he has a bunch more to sell and has already listed another with the exact same title.. some people do category searches, some do keyword searches.. I do the latter..

{{gulping down that beer}}..

Harv >>

the secret password was in the beginning of this thread. all thanks to John nanney. some of us got them for $26 and some didn`t.

simple as that.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Thank you, sir. Sounds like BS but I'll go read it to confirm.image

<< <i>
    the secret password was in the beginning of this thread. all thanks to John nanney. some of us got them for $26 and some didn`t.

simple as that. >>

all too true.. that'll teach me not to read these boreds 24 / 7.. I missed the window of opportunity by about a week.. but got some in NGC MS69 ER slabs when they were still "cheap"..

Harv
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>I almost forgot, I have some ocean front property in Arizona, if you buy that, I'll throw the Golden Gate in free. >>

I knew there was a ocean in Arizona Jesse, you old dawg stop spreading the word my property taxes might go up. That's Mr Magoos state, you know the one that is running for Chief.image
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't understand people. They make some strange comparisons. There are a lot of coins that have taken a dip this summer and its not because they are unpopular. It's just because of the economy. The first of the year or even before the market will turn. It's just sour grapes. There will always be people who do not like one thing or another. >>

Sorry about bursting your bull balloon..but..my coin club bought 2008/07s in the 1st ten days of May ..sold the last over Memorial Day weekend..bought them again a couple of weeks ago..made over 100,000+ the 1st time around and now the second???
    Trading coins is just like trading commodities..in fact we have successfully used a charting technique for the 2008/07..that we use trading Gold, and Oil etc..the best comparisons are always money to money...good luck

• << <i>

<< <i>I just don't understand people. They make some strange comparisons. There are a lot of coins that have taken a dip this summer and its not because they are unpopular. It's just because of the economy. The first of the year or even before the market will turn. It's just sour grapes. There will always be people who do not like one thing or another. >>

Sorry about bursting your bull balloon..but..my coin club bought 2008/07s in the 1st ten days of May ..sold the last over Memorial Day weekend..bought them again a couple of weeks ago..made over 100,000+ the 1st time around and now the second???
    Trading coins is just like trading commodities..in fact we have successfully used a charting technique for the 2008/07..that we use trading Gold, and Oil etc..the best comparisons are always money to money...good luck >>

Wow, with your 100% success rate, I should really try to join your club and put in my entire life savings!!! I should be a millionaire by the end of the month!!! image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One question I have. They say that the die counts are for the 2008-W Burnished Silver American Eagles. They do not indicate whether the dies are of the 2007 design or 2008. Is this just a list of ALL dies used during a run where the reverse of 2007 coins were found? >>

Since nobody has stated the obvious, I will.

The die numbers listed in the FOIA response are die numbers for 2007 Reverse dies.

As for having the folks at the fulfillment center opening boxes and pulling out the 07 Rev coins, I don't believe that for a second. I do believe that every coin produced did get delivered. I also believe that some folks returned 07 Rev coins before they knew about the variety and those returns got shipped right back out during the 1st 10 days of May.
    With as much confucion there was on these boards over what this coin actually looked like, I simply cannot believe that the folks at the fulfillment center would have known the difference even with a picture.

Remember, the SAE's started shipping on March 17th and a lot of folks were really picky over what they were receiving for $25.95 each! That represents a hefty premium over the spot price of silver so a lot were returned. Those that rolled the dice and ordered during the 1st month of May (Like me) were rewarded with Reverse of 07 coins. Those coins were delivered during the 1st two weeks of May which is a full 4 weeks AFTER the US Mint knew they existed! The US Mints first response was around 4/16 with their estimate of 47,000 so why in the world would I receive 7 as late as May 10th if the US Mint was actively looking for and destroying these?

IMO, the mint did not get any back and all 46,318 are out there.

As for the values of these continuing to go up? I really doubt it since the number of flippers out weighs the number of collectors by quite a bit and it was the flippers that were controlling the market. Some still are as suggested by the number of BIN's.

I think a lot of the go-getters on this particular thread will be surprised at just how finicky and fickled the coin buying public actually is in that they will pay ungodly amounts for the "current hot item trend" but won't give frog squat about it in a year or two.

Thats just the way it is, numbers or not, hard facts or not.

The 2008-W Rev of 07 coin will have its place in history, I just cannot believe that it will be at a lofty perch.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hi, 19.

Part of me agrees with your bearish outlook for the coin...the old adage "nothing is for sure" definitely springs to mind. And I have to admit I've been bitten by the hype-bug on many other issues after having my first bite turn out so good (20th Ann ASE sets bought @ $100-$120, sold average for $350-ish x 20) and paid dearly for it.

But something tells me to trust the overwhelming opinion that population does make a difference, especially in this case. So many more people can afford to stay in collector mode on the ASEs that comparison in value to the 1995-w is natural and I think not too much of a stretch. Not much hope of the 08/07 attaining the prices the 1995-w has today, but in a few years, I'd expect somewhere around 1/2 to 1/3 of the 1995-w price to be where the 08/07 sits.

It's been a lot of fun watching these suckers go higher, and I've been able to profit from a couple of sales. And while the rational part of me believes the above, t's also a lot of fun speculating over how many actually reached the public's hands, and how many remain. And heck, if it turns out there are a lot fewer (less than 35k would do it for me), then Yahtzee! If not, I don't see these "falling off a cliff." Instead, prices may retract a bit, but overall they should make even a non-Harvard business guy happy with the upward slant from left to right of the valuation chart.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • I agree that the low sale price was because of his listing description....2008 w/rev....would not show under a normal search (2008 W, 2008 W reverse, 2008 W rev.)...Great way to find bargains is by trying misspellings....works sometimes
  • Single auctions do not determine the true value of a coin but the trend is more valid. I quote an 08/07 ER that went for $995 on a BIN. Do I think that's what it's worth?? Probably not but is was to one buyer.

Look at these two auctions about 4 min apart, same coin, same seller ....last night.....Which one shows the true value???

2008 W EAGLE EARLY RELEASES PF 70 120289571301 $58.00
    2008 W EAGLE EARLY RELEASES PF 70 120289570737 $102.50
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
  • ++1imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>

Trading coins is just like trading commodities..in fact we have successfully used a charting technique for the 2008/07..that we use trading Gold, and Oil etc..the best comparisons are always money to money...good luck >>

Wow, with your 100% success rate, I should really try to join your club and put in my entire life savings!!! I should be a millionaire by the end of the month!!! image >>

We aren't selling yet..waiting to see the price action when the NGC70s make new price highs..
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    how many coins were set aside and when were they set aside for inclusion in the 2008 American Dollar Set?

Are there more 08/07 to be received (of the ~46K minted) in these sets?
    Looks like the 2008 set available 8/7 at high noon!

Will there be more 08/07's to be found?

• << <i>how many coins were set aside and when were they set aside for inclusion in the 2008 American Dollar Set? >>

<< <i>Are there more 08/07 to be received (of the ~46K minted) in these sets? >>

Ummmmm...My opinion????.......No way
    the sets are produced well ahead of time

if they were produced in the april time period there may be a winner here

after all, if we take 46k as gospel, there are nowhere near that amount extant right now based on raw sales, pops at 3rd party services, etc.....
  • Monday POP report from NGC: Total graded= 12773 which is only 46 more than last week

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007.............. MS 5927
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6846

• John,

They still don't give you much credit over there at NGC for the discovery. Just a poorly editef bi-line.

Not nice!

There has to be some in those dollar sets.
  • Hey, great news... the guy who only got $371 for his 2008 reverse 2007 pcgs ms69 yesterday, got $455 today! I guess I was wrong,

these coins ARE going to keep going up and up! Who would of thought that a guy who listed his coin so poorly that no one here saw

his previous listing under normal search patterns would have such a bonanza today? He had 31 bidders too! Wow! He also has two

more listed that end in 5 and 6 days respectively that are already at about $400 each.....by the time those auctions end they should be

at about $600 at least! Hold onto whatever you got because these are still on the launching pad! cheers! here's to the rich and the

wiseimage someone owes me a finders fee image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not to maintain this coin's integrity as a scarce and interesting modern issue.

If thousands more hit the streets, we gotta go around and around ad nauseam again on more repetitive speculation and hyperbole...

[...in the XA2 Sets - 2008 Annual Dollar Sets that is...] --edited to add the clarifier--
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the sets are produced well ahead of time

if they were produced in the april time period there may be a winner here

after all, if we take 46k as gospel, there are nowhere near that amount extant right now based on raw sales, pops at 3rd party services, etc..... >>

then why were the 07 XA1's backordered until recently if they were all made well ahead of time...? i am sending a bunch back to the mint, i opened some random to see if per chance there was an 07/08...or smoothies....nada

the 08/07 were a get in and get out kinda thing, which i did (JMHO) and keep on for yourself, which i did not do.

• BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    << Hold onto whatever you got because these are still on the launching pad!

Cheers! Here's to the rich and the wise. Someone owes me a finders fee image >>

Jessewvu is a great guy in my book .... perhaps a tad TOO "abrasive" at times -

but then again, aren't we ALL a bit too reflexive and abrasive, from time to time?

I'm sure he'll extend his apology, if he hasn't already. image

"This is an internet forum that is both reflective and reflexive. Chill Brother."

Perhaps we could ALL stand to be more reflective as opposed to being spontaneously "reflexive". image

Jesse! imageimage

Kudos to you for all your diligent contributions, especially for all the graphs/ charts.

This is a GREAT thread! Thanks to you as well, Lope! image

John certainly deserves SPECIAL recognition for his "Discovery."

Thank you, John!

Keep all the wonderful information coming.

BTW, Maybe the seller, whose identity is now known, did this by design as this so-called
    "Boo-Boo" has apparently now worked quite well for him, judging by his current bids.

Very clever indeed!

Cheers Guys! image I'm quite satisfied - for now! image
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

the 08/07 were a get in and get out kinda thing, which i did (JMHO) and keep on for yourself, which i did not do. >>

57loaded-

I'm beginning to agree with you. I would hold more/buy more if I could afford them. However, of the 7 total I had,
    I just sold three in the last few days. They were all NGC 69 ER, and all went between $500-$522 for what it's worth.
    I sold to help pay off the student loans a little bit quicker. The sooner I get out of debt, the sooner I can invest in more coins image

So now I'm down to 4. I may have to pick up some gold if it keeps tanking image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
    I know they made 100000 of the president series last year and have not been able to sell them, does anyone know how many will be made of the 08's?

Should be a lot less as I have not seen a huge jump in the amount of uncirculated 08 w's.

• << <i>Hey, great news... the guy who only got $371 for his 2008 reverse 2007 pcgs ms69 yesterday, got $455 today! I guess I was wrong,

these coins ARE going to keep going up and up! Who would of thought that a guy who listed his coin so poorly that no one here saw

his previous listing under normal search patterns would have such a bonanza today? He had 31 bidders too! Wow! He also has two

more listed that end in 5 and 6 days respectively that are already at about $400 each.....by the time those auctions end they should be

at about $600 at least! Hold onto whatever you got because these are still on the launching pad! cheers! here's to the rich and the

wiseimage someone owes me a finders fee image >>

I know, I know...don't keep on reminding me. I should have bought at least 10 more when they were only $300 a pop. I could have made at least $1000 in profit by now...but my wife didn't like me "wasting" my money on coins.... image
    Now, I've only got 4.... image
    I can already tell that when these coins start really appreciating, I’m going to REALLY start kicking myself….

Luckyman, I wish you had told me about the $371 one earlier…(and I think everyone else did too) image

<< <i>Hey, great news... the guy who only got $371 for his 2008 reverse 2007 pcgs ms69 yesterday, got $455 today! I guess I was wrong,

these coins ARE going to keep going up and up! >>

Uhhhhh, do you suppose the fact that the sale price was mentioned on these boards and the fact that he had a couple more that were on the blocks and everybody and his brother was watching the auction had anything to do with the closing price? image

I mean, truthfully, how many posters here would like to have picked the first one up for $371 and were actually hoping for a lower price so they could get one on the cheap?

I could almost guarantee that any low bid 08/07 coin mentioned on these boards will bring decent money just because some of you folks can;t seem to get enough of these.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I can't get enough but I can't afford any more either.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    If the 2008/2007 reverse variety Die from the mint was for sale what price do you think it would bring. I have bought one of each D/P Mint of the states of Maryland and Virgina just for historial purposes. I don't know if this die in mention will be up for sale, but it would be a cool die to have for a longterm keepsake.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>If the 2008/2007 reverse variety Die from the mint was for sale what price do you think it would bring. I have bought one of each D/P Mint of the states of Maryland and Virgina just for historial purposes. I don't know if this die in mention will be up for sale, but it would be a cool die to have for a longterm keepsake. >>

Well, since we know the facts on this, let's use the numbers.

There'd be a population of 18 potential Die sets for the 08/07's.

I think it would be a cool item for nostalgia, but not sure I'd be willing to shell out money for it.
    My guess is several thousand if they hyped it right and only sold a few.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    19Lyds get over it. The coin has done well and continues to do well. So you were wrong, find something to put down or buy one of these coins and enjoy the ride with the rest of us.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Price data for last 3 sales on the Bay....
    Brown Label 70's:
    $850
    $840
    $840

Blue Label ER 70's:
    $900
    $900
    $949 image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Price data for last 3 sales on the Bay....
    Brown Label 70's:
    $850
    $840
    $840

Blue Label ER 70's:
    $900
    $900
    $949 image >>

That would indicate that the 70's are slowly rising in value after a little dip. The 69's are somewhat stagnant right now but not loosing ground to any degree. I could see the 70's knocking on the $1000 door by the end of the year. My opinion only of course.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i> I could see the 70's knocking on the $1000 door by the end of the year. My opinion only of course >>

I don't think we will have to wait that long......Here are some, what I call outliers, that seem to be becoming more common. Notice two completed auctions are for a non-ER's

2008 W Silver Eagle reverse of 2007 ER NGC MS70 MS 70
    **RARE COIN VARIETY** Blue Label MS70 Early Release
    $999.99
    Free Jul-22 12:42

2008 W Silver Eagle reverse of 2007 ER NGC MS70 MS 70
    **RARE COIN VARIETY** Blue Label MS70 Early Release
    $999.99
    Free Aug-01 20:25

2008 W AMERICAN EAGLE $1 NGC REVERSE OF 2007 MS70
    $999.00
    $12.00 Jul-22 17:43

2008 - W SILVER EAGLE REVERSE OF 2007 - NGC MS70

$990.00
    $10.00 Jul-25 20:15

<< <i>19Lyds get over it. The coin has done well and continues to do well. So you were wrong, find something to put down or buy one of these coins and enjoy the ride with the rest of us. >>

Hey John!

image ($200 on 4/29)

These cost me $25.95 on 5/8 and I've sold 6 raw coins so I don't really need to "buy one of these coins". My ride is going just fine Thank You.

My only position at this point is to be cautious on what you spend for these as I don't really believe the price will get much higher. Simple enough for ya?

The name is LEE!
  • CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    Lee, it's good to have a contrarian view here (if I may so characterize your comments). Stirs things up, and keeps the thread going. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

<< <i>Price data for last 3 sales on the Bay....
    Brown Label 70's:
    $850
    $840
    $840

Blue Label ER 70's:
    $900
    $900
    $949 image >>

Moderncoinmart sold some NGC 70 ERs in a dutch auction for 1024.00 ..back in May.....I think this was the high so far..prices on track to at least come near or exceed 1024

<< <i>

<< <i>19Lyds get over it. The coin has done well and continues to do well. So you were wrong, find something to put down or buy one of these coins and enjoy the ride with the rest of us. >>

Hey John!

image ($200 on 4/29)

These cost me $25.95 on 5/8 and I've sold 6 raw coins so I don't really need to "buy one of these coins". My ride is going just fine Thank You.

My only position at this point is to be cautious on what you spend for these as I don't really believe the price will get much higher. Simple enough for ya? >>

Let the market decide how cautious you all need to be ....it is getting stale ..all the naysayers talking about prices are too high ...who can tell what is high ?? prices have rallied back over $$$ 200 from the lows on the NGC 70s...... enjoy it
    I think we had all forgotten just what the high level was the first couple of months. Looks like we are back to where we were then.
    Does anybody feel like there will be any 08/07 reverses in those presidential sets?

There are just too many missing coins for them to all be in unopened boxes all over the country.

• << <i>Does anybody feel like there will be any 08/07 reverses in those presidential sets? >>

<< <i>There are just too many missing coins for them to all be in unopened boxes all over the country. >>

I strongly doubt there will be any 08/07's in the sets but I do agree there seems to be many unaccounted for coins........

I will order 10 sets and check them out....

• TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anybody feel like there will be any 08/07 reverses in those presidential sets? >>

<< <i>There are just too many missing coins for them to all be in unopened boxes all over the country. >>

I strongly doubt there will be any 08/07's in the sets but I do agree there seems to be many unaccounted for coins........

I will order 10 sets and check them out.... >>

Ok, I confess...I've hoarded 22,000 of them...

*Snore....**Gasp!* *Choke*

Whew....was dreaming a little bit...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did that issue regarding "reflective" and "normal" surfaces on these coins just go away?
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK>>>>5500.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file