Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    keep in mind the USM is now reserving against available funds on your CC IMMEDIATELY....regardless of when you order....as soon as you push the PLACE ORDER button.............

this does not indicate that they are about to ship any longer.....

it used to be a way to tell if they were about to ship.....

• << <i>I'm going to buy only one. I figure it's like buying a lotto ticket....long odds....but you can't win if you don't play >>

• 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Question: Where does it say that the ASE in the 2008 Dollar Coin Set will be the burnished ASE?
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the Mint listing doesn't say anything about it.
  • Will be the same as last years... the 2007 was a 2007 w burnished
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>keep in mind the USM is now reserving against available funds on your CC IMMEDIATELY....regardless of when you order....as soon as you push the PLACE ORDER button.............

this does not indicate that they are about to ship any longer.....

it used to be a way to tell if they were about to ship..... >>

There is or at least there used to be a law in the USA that said that a merchant who charges your CC must ship whatever he charged you for within thirty days of making the charge.. has that law gone away, or is it still in effect?..

good luck to those of you playing this lottery.. until / unless I see unaltered, photographic proof of one of these sets in hand with an 08/07 ASE in it.. the old gut is telling me there's going to be a lot of disappointment, and a lot of returned sets.. guess we'll find out this coming week (?) when they start showing up at the doors of those who get Expedited shipping.. or pay extra for it..

so roll them bones.. I'll just watch..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deja vu April 15 2008.

I'm not a believer either these will show up. But I ain't gonna miss out on the fun either...roll that dice...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • I see one seller selling these reverses and advertising $1,100.00 retail for an NGC 69 ER.Where do they get these figures?
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    There will NOT be any reverse's in the dollar set because the error was minted early.

They wouldn't have put aside 50,000 coins for a product to be released months later, while making people wait for their current order of just a Silver coin.

It's a waste of time and money to order those sets looking for a reverse error.

IMHO

aficianado

i respectfully disagree

early coins minted were devoid of any 08/07 reverses

IMO, coins in these sets were not from the initial coins reserved for the single coin format release that occurred early this year,

rather from the next lot of coins - some probably released in april and may for single coin format sales

and some for inclusion in these sets

I think there is a shot at some of the 08/07 in these sets.....
  • On 8/7/08 I asked David Harper (writes Numismaster's Mint Stats articles) this question:

<< <i>I've read that the 2008 annual unc. dollar set will soon be released. When it begins production will the mint stats production numbers for this set reflect counts that are separate from the coin types it contains, or in addition to the stats reported elsewhere on your weekly Numismaster Mint Stats articles? For example, as of Aug 3rd, the production of unc. 2008-W SAEs was 345,351. Assume the 2008 annual unc. dollar set production was also listed as 10,000. Would the actual number of unc. 2008-W SAEs be 345,351 or 355,351?
    >>

Here is his answer:

<< <i>The Mint totals are reported by product, so you would be correct in adding the two separate product totals together. >>

This tells me that the mint will use newly minted SAEs for the 2008 annual unc. dollar set, which makes it highly unlikely that one will find a 07 Rev in those sets... image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Last year they were included in the total mintage I believe so there is no reason to believe that this year will be different. There is an excellent chance that there are a lot of 07 reverses in the sets. I doubt the mint is going to take the time to sort through the existing coins to pick out the bad ones. It would take too much money and time.
  • Monday's NGC POP's

Total graded= 12824 which is an increase of 51 over last week

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 ...............MS 5980
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Pop.

First Strike total: 1,699
    Non FS: 1,326
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • That is roughly 16,000 graded coins.Where are the other 30,000 that where made?
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Take that number and add in those graded by the other TPG's, add in the ones not graded, and I wonder what the pop totals were prior to the discovery for those that were missed by the TPG's.
  • Dont know if anyone has reported this yet but that wacky microsoft cash back thing is up and running again - 25% back!

Jeff

• << <i>That is roughly 16,000 graded coins.Where are the other 30,000 that where made? >>

Sounds high but as a recent post mentioned the percentage graded is actually high for a "W"

<< <i>the 'missing' coins might very well be where the 362,856 2006-W coins that haven't been graded are located at. >>

<< <i>Personally, I find the pop reports to be incredibly high sitting at 34% graded compared to only 23% graded for the 2006-W coins >>

• << <i>There will NOT be any reverse's in the dollar set because the error was minted early.

They wouldn't have put aside 50,000 coins for a product to be released months later, while making people wait for their current order of just a Silver coin.

IMHO >>

Also, the mint is now aware of the error. If there was a possibility of any '07 reverses getting into the sets, I'd be very surprised if the Mint didn't inspected them 100% before shipment. It would be a black eye to continue to ship defective product, although we collectors don't look at it that way! image
  • I also believe the Mint took so long, and didn't give an exact date of their release, because they were checking them. It is real easy for them to put new cellophane on them after they checked them.

I am going to gamble with the rest of you though. I bought four sets in two batches.

<< <i>

<< <i>There will NOT be any reverse's in the dollar set because the error was minted early.

IMHO >>

Also, the mint is now aware of the error. If there was a possibility of any '07 reverses getting into the sets, I'd be very surprised if the Mint didn't inspected them 100% before shipment. It would be a black eye to continue to ship defective product, although we collectors don't look at it that way! image >>

Yes, but keep in mind the Mint was made aware of this error mid April, yet did not stop shipping them out, if at all, before the first week of May. It would appear that unlike the most recent dollar fiasco where the mint reported "catching" their mistake, that they were less interested in stopping the release of the variety ASE's...or they haven't reported having done so...
    whighty44

bad assumption.

first of all, the numbers you quote are SALES not MINTAGE numbers.

the USM runs production at a certain level to satisfy demand of the product offered in many different formats. they dont run production for single coins, then run separate production for sets.

if the USM produced 250,000 or more coins as "opening" production and 10,000 or more was allocated to sets, they use coins from the same production run to satisfy both formats.

good possibility exists 08/07's can be found in this format.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a quick dump.

NGC MS69

NGC MS70

PCGS MS69

PCGS MS70
  • Thanks Jess.image
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    At the moment, I'm sitting right there with you Harv. Logic tells me to order a few. But hey, I didn't jump on the 08/07 bandwagon until late April and still hit the jackpot. Maybe I'll wait another week then order a few image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
    I feel the mint is not going to spend the money or take the time to go through all those coins to pick out the errors. I will be very surprised if there are not errors found as these are all minted at the same time. They are not going to make any more at this time as its time for them to start minting the 2009's.

<< <i>At the moment, I'm sitting right there with you Harv. Logic tells me to order a few. But hey, I didn't jump on the 08/07 bandwagon until late April and still hit the jackpot. Maybe I'll wait another week then order a few image >>

well, there seem to be good arguments on both sides as to if any of the sets COULD contain the 08/07s.. I don't know what to think.. and certainly don't want to throw any money at them on a gamble.. IF someone reports even a single 08/07 in one of these sets with unaltered, un-doctored photographic proof positive.. then it's a different game..

so what happened with your follow-up to their response to your FOIA request?.. have you written and asked for a complete answer to your questions yet?..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 08w may be a low seller after all, with silver falling of a cliff.

I can't imagine these selling for $26 with silver at $14.

Just my opinion, and yours?

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an NT specimen available, yet ?
    Thanks Jesseimage Hey how are you doing charts and changing diapers at the same time...image
  • Recent oddities on WheeBay

The first MS67 I have seen; 2008 W SILVER EAGLE with 2007 Reverse NGC MS67 sold for $399.

A MS70 sold for $645; 2008-W EAGLE WITH 2007 BACK N.G.C.MS70 ERROR $645
    (Note the description, no "reverse " mentioned.)

2008-W American Silver Eagle 2007 Reverse - NGC MS 69 $527

2008 W AMERICAN EAGLE SILVER DOLLAR ERROR 2007 REVERSE $496- Raw

The most unusual thing is that all 4 of these were bought by the same person and they had only 1 previous eBay purchase.

KP
  • I guess even the biggies make mistakes......

OOPS!

Still....a nice coin

• << <i>I also believe the Mint took so long, and didn't give an exact date of their release, because they were checking them. It is real easy for them to put new cellophane on them after they checked them.

I am going to gamble with the rest of you though. I bought four sets in two batches. >>

I really, really doubt someone at the mint set a bunch of regular production line people or managers loose opening 20-40 THOUSAND sealed sets looking for coins with a different font change.

I don't think the mint views this as an error along the lines of dollars with missing edge lettering or dollars minted on quarter blanks.
    I agree ! I also hope I am wrong, because if these produce the 30000 missing coins, the price will drop considerably for the ones already found.

• << <i>I really, really doubt someone at the mint set a bunch of regular production line people or managers loose opening 20-40 THOUSAND sealed sets looking for coins with a different font change >>

Errrr...Maybe they looked at the BEFORE they put them in the package image

• << <i>I agree ! I also hope I am wrong, because if these produce the 30000 missing coins, the price will drop considerably for the ones already found. >>

So today's price is based on 17000 coins???? I thought they were priced up because there was only 47,000 minted
    They are priced up because there are not 30,000 additional listings...image

• << <i>

<< <i>I really, really doubt someone at the mint set a bunch of regular production line people or managers loose opening 20-40 THOUSAND sealed sets looking for coins with a different font change >>

Errrr...Maybe they looked at the BEFORE they put them in the package image >>

Why would they bother??
    Considering the logistics of producing the 6 coin sets there would have to be a certain number of ASEs produced and forwarded to the final facility for packaging along with the 4 presidents and 1 Sac.
    Since they sold something north of 50,000 sets last year I imagine their initial run was at least 30-40,000 sets.
    That is a lot of ASEs.
    I can't see anyone at mint sitting down looking at 40-50,000 coins for a font change.
    Even if they suspected there were some 07/08s in the ASEs set aside for the annual sets what would they gain from looking??
    The coin has already been released.
    They have already said appox. 47,000 were struck.
    They won't look any better or worse if more come out in these sets.

• << <i>Even if they suspected there were some 07/08s in the ASEs set aside for the annual sets what would they gain from looking?? >>

I agree with most of what you are saying but..... Think what would happen if ONE little rounded U was found in the sets...image

Collectors would order them by the 10's of thousands which sounds good for mint profits...BUT imagine the chaos when those 10's of thousands get returned AFTER trashing the packaging...USMint makes 4.95 on shipping but ships by FedEx if over $300 (loss). Has to handle the returns (loss) ..has to repackage the returns (loss) and maybe start the process over again

Might be worth looking on the back of the coin BEFORE you put it in the package image

• << <i>

<< <i>Even if they suspected there were some 07/08s in the ASEs set aside for the annual sets what would they gain from looking?? >>

I agree with most of what you are saying but..... Think what would happen if ONE little rounded U was found in the sets...image

Collectors would order them by the 10's of thousands which sounds good for mint profits...BUT imagine the chaos when those 10's of thousands get returned AFTER trashing the packaging...USMint makes 4.95 on shipping but ships by FedEx if over $300 (loss). Has to handle the returns (loss) ..has to repackage the returns (loss) and maybe start the process over again

Might be worth looking on the back of the coin BEFORE you put it in the package image >>

IMO everyone is way over thinking this..............The only motive anyone at the mint has is to do their job.
    I doubt anyone is worrying about whether more 07/08s get out.
    One day we will kill the golden 30 day return goose but I doubt the possibility of a bunch of returns will alter the mints current thinking.
    With the exception of maybe a few people on this thread and some across the street most will take their chances and if they don't get lucky they will just enjoy the coins they receive.
    People buying 1-10 sets won't likely return them if no 07/08s are found.
    If you go back through this thread you will see there were only a few who admitted to abusing the mints return policy.
    I'm sitting on 150 2008-W 08/08 ASEs because I didn't want to abuse their return policy.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Even if they suspected there were some 07/08s in the ASEs set aside for the annual sets what would they gain from looking?? >>

Might be worth looking on the back of the coin BEFORE you put it in the package image >>

IMO everyone is way over thinking this..............The only motive anyone at the mint has is to do their job.
    I doubt anyone is worrying about whether more 07/08s get out.
    One day we will kill the golden 30 day return goose but I doubt the possibility of a bunch of returns will alter the mints current thinking.
    With the exception of maybe a few people on this thread and some across the street most will take their chances and if they don't get lucky they will just enjoy the coins they receive.
    People buying 1-10 sets won't likely return them if no 07/08s are found.
    If you go back through this thread you will see there were only a few who admitted to abusing the mints return policy.
    I'm sitting on 150 2008-W 08/08 ASEs because I didn't want to abuse their return policy. >>

Judging from the crappy 2008 eagles I have seen ..quite a few took the return route.. the return poilcy won' t last for bullion coins
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're sure not in collectors' hands or eBay would be flooded with them. >>

Perhaps this has been mentioned already but eBay WAS FLOODED with them for nearly a month between May 1st and June 1st.

My experience has been that if a coin is very popular and sells for good money (read: continually increases in price) then there are always plenty to choose from as folks will buy and then turn right around and resell.

But, when the public loses interest or the market gets saturated, then less and less show up simply because they either are not selling -- or -- sellers are losing money on their investments.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I don't think the mint views this as an error along the lines of missing edge lettering or dollars minted on quarter blanks. >>

Agreed. There is no 'godless' controvery surrounding these and they are not regular circulation issues that the US Mint is desperately trying to get people to usein daily transactions!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I agree ! I also hope I am wrong, because if these produce the 30000 missing coins, the price will drop considerably for the ones already found. >>

Really now!

Isn't this view in direct controvery with the arguments in this very thread that they only made 47,000?

"25 sold yesterday and most were bought by new people that have just got involved with ebay. This tells me that the word on these coins has just started to spread. There are an awful lot of eagle collectors out there that don't even know about them yet. Even if there are 47k of them it will not be near enough to go around. Don't let these doomsayers, that were not lucky enough to get any or dump the ones they had early, cause you to lose interest and sell them before you should."

"These coins will be the most desirable and low minted coins of the eagle series"

"There are plenty more that are in people's closets at this point, but, what I am saying is that there are a lot more eagle collectors out there that have not even heard of these coins yet that will need to have one for there collection and with even 47000 (which is the mints number) there will never be enough to go around. "

"It does not matter if the mintage is 30,000 or 47,000 of these, it is still going to be a very valuable coin. We would prefer it to be 30,000 but I doubt that is going to happen."

The name is LEE!
    Ok, somebody explain this to me, what am I missing? Raw 08/07 for $265 Buyitnowimage

• << <i>Ok, somebody explain this to me, what am I missing? >>

Evidently the deal that morganman got. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• ............or you can save the grading fees and just buy a MS70 non-ER for $1500 image

Bargain
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, somebody explain this to me, what am I missing? Raw 08/07 for $265 Buyitnowimage >>

It took only 4 minutes. Junk antique dealer...did not know the value of what he had ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, somebody explain this to me, what am I missing? Raw 08/07 for $265 Buyitnowimage >>

It took only 4 minutes. Junk antique dealer...did not know the value of what he had .... >>

no, he didn't.. so where did he come up with $265.00 as a "Buy it Now" price?.. about half of what he should've asked.. maybe he had a months-old issue of CW laying around and saw a dealer's ad with that old price.. or he had someone entering auctions for him who knew nuthin' about nuthin' and was working off a hand-written list and couldn't read his writing.. who knows?.. anyone who looked at the goulash of stuff I sell might call me a "junk antique dealer".. I sell all kinds of stuff.. my own stuff, stuff I inherited from my Folks and have a Storage locker full of.. stuff I get from sellers who don't have a clue what something's worth.. and then flip for multiples of what I paid for it.. but at least I research and do my homework on every freakin' item I sell.. that guy didn't..

there are plenty of bargains to be found from people sellin' stuff who have no clue what it's worth.. or who can't spell.. "MorgEn DollEr".. people selling Vintage 1950s toys advertised as "duh I don't know if it works or not" because they're too lazy to go buy some batteries and find out.. or due to a simple typing screw-up.. if you want to spend the time searching for them, they're out there.. that's how I picked up three MIB pairs of $120.00 headphones for $14.95 each a couple of years ago.. the seller had a bunch of teenagers entering auctions for him, and one of them screwed up.. "Buy it Now" price was supposed to be $74.95.. teenager entered $14.95.. Seller honored the price..

the only way to find out why he put that price on that coin would be to ask him.. I can't believe he did it for any reason other than a typo or simply not doing his homework..

I wish the local supermarkets would make mistakes like that and under-price food by 50%..

Harv
  • SaamSaam Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It took only 4 minutes. Junk antique dealer...did not know the value of what he had .... >>

I hope he puts some more up for sale!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file