Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    5800 !

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I don't blame dice 21 for putting them up for sale. If some one wants to bid on them, then good luck to them. Maybe I will sell some too if I see him getting anywhere near what he paid.

<< <i>Hello, Yes I will address that...........DO YOU have knowledge that the statement is false?..........Please present it and I will change the listing......Show me in written form the exact date these sets were packaged......And also show me in written form the whereabouts of the remaining ERROR's..........Until then opinions and statements about things you know very little about are worth exactly that.......Ps thank you for the welcome............. >>

You are the one with the auction dude!

Why don't YOU put YOUR written verification in the auction that there were and then I'll shutup! Until then you are the one that is stating "THESE SETS were packaged around that time............."

Any idea when they minted up the Satin Finish coins? I would suspect that it was way after March/April when the 2008/078 coins were showing up. Not only that but the Sacajawea did not even get authorized for production until Feb 29th 2008! I seriously doubt that the production lines had been geared up to even produce these in Satin Finsh until after April.

I cannot say that a certain allotment was NOT set aside from the initial production run of SAE's but to matter of factly state that the dollar sets were packaged at the same time as the error SAE's were coming out is very misleading!

Sheesh.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't blame dice 21 for putting them up for sale. If some one wants to bid on them, then good luck to them. Maybe I will sell some too if I see him getting anywhere near what he paid. >>

don't give so quick..I have a 150 sets coming next week..
    Here's something that folks have not discussed on this thread just yet!

The dates that the 2007 reverses were used in the production of the SAE Variety? Folks are just assuming that these were the first off the presses but they might not have been as many hundreds of dies are used to produce these.

The name is LEE!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Andrew Dice? Wow, I always wondered what happened to that skid row comic. All funning aside, you would get the same reception if you were selling some Arizona quarter bags "with the possibility of an error ASE inside, they to were packaged around the same time, in the middle of the year 2008. The listing looks like a duck...Just be sure not to complain once those negs come rollin in.
  • image here's to the rich and the wise image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles

<< <i>I don't blame dice 21 for putting them up for sale. If some one wants to bid on them, then good luck to them. Maybe I will sell some too if I see him getting anywhere near what he paid. >>

Until some are actually found and reported, this is simply speculative hype. Pure and simple.

The name is LEE!
    Some people don't want to deal with the mint.

At this point they will probably get a good deal on these sets.

I doubt if they will go for what he paid.
  • DICE21 image
    This is an upstanding board with numismatists and coin collectors that are on the top of their field. You will learn a lot here and see varying points of view. But one thing that the majority here in the boards strive to do is be on the forefront of their particular field/s of coin collecting ....for example... some seller(not you) selling a fake coin on Ebay that someone on this board recognizes as a fake ...most likely that seller will be contacted and asked if he/she realizes that what they are selling is a fake and if they could correctly state this fact in their auction or take it down so as not to hurt the unsuspecting public. Believe me a lot of people have been spared with a lot of grief because of this..Same deal with claims about coin related issues that are not yet proven as a fact is discussed in these boards. Its a forum where everybody's views differ but in the end we sort of all agree to be upfront in our dealings with regards to this great hobby of ours...Coinsimage Again image

• << <i> You are the one with the auction dude! Why don't YOU put YOUR written verification in the auction that there were and then I'll shutup! Until then you are the one that is stating "THESE SETS were packaged around that time............." >>

You read my mind!

Esssentially Dice21 uses a fallacious argument, "Burden Of Proof": the claim that whatever has not yet been proved false must be true (or vice versa).
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Dice21 is a CROOK and a SCAM ARTIST, as this is the tactic used to sell shotgun rolls of cents where one side has a 1909S date showing and the other side has a VDB reverse. We know the result. It always ends up with a buyer who bids an auction up on a false hope.

That's right. False hope. That is a scam by my definition and I would suspect that most folks feel that preying on false hope is crooked behavior.

Dice21 wants "written proof" from us or the auction listings stay where they are with a bunch of vague language designed to prey on the unwary. Defensive. Also typical of someone who has a moral compass pointing in the wrong direction.

Dice21 could probably do better if the Mint wasn't still selling these items. But these auctions appeal to the Terribly Stupid who would not otherwise realize that they can get the exact same product from the mint. Dice21 however has a value add. False Hope!

Here is my proof that Dice21 is preying on folks by using False Hope. If there were ANY chance that the reverse was in those packages, Dice21 would open up those packages and realize the real reward of a 08/07rev.

But no, Dice21 is essentially selling raffle tickets for a Great Prize!!! But that Great Prize is actually a Dead Mule. In the raffle-for-a-dead-mule, the crook only has to deal with one disappointed winner. Let us hope that all of Dice21's buyers become disillusioned with the fluff and puffery and leave Negatives or return the item for Significantly Not As Described.

Thank you CU forum for allowing me to vent! That was awesome!

• << <i>>

<< <i>Someone mentioned this would happen soon. It will be interesting to see what it brings!

2008 Dollar Set - Error? >>

<

To me,these kinds of sellers are low lifes,preying on the suckers that don't know any better.These sets have zero chance of having an error in them.If by chance one is found,then i will eat crow,until then,i stand by what i said. >>

Well we may think it is a long shot to find an 07/08 in an annual set but there are certainly worse auctions on Ebay.
    Heck I've already posted I took a chance and bought 10 from the mint.
    Results............0/10.
    I figure I lost $15 for each set I purchased.
    His auction started at $0.99
    He might not get his cost back.
    P.S. I don't know him...............

<< <i>

<< <i> You are the one with the auction dude! Why don't YOU put YOUR written verification in the auction that there were and then I'll shutup! Until then you are the one that is stating "THESE SETS were packaged around that time............." >>

You read my mind!

Esssentially Dice21 uses a fallacious argument, "Burden Of Proof": the claim that whatever has not yet been proved false must be true (or vice versa). >>

Philosophy 102 logic ....who has any left ????? good argumentimage
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excuse me gentleman and I will use that term for the time being. I am the seller and I am neither a CROOK nor a SCAM ARTIST......Perhaps if you had taken a moment to look at my feedback and read thru the listing you would see that I am not selling an error. I am selling the possibility that there might be.......And since I doubt any one of you packaged these yourselfs I would wonder how you have come upon your great knowledge of all things minted.............The old saying......more than one chicken does make a hen house...........Good day >>

Somehow....SOMEHOW....given this thread and all the hypesters and pumpers of this, I am 0% surprised that the seller was/is a forum member (albeit not many posts but obviously aware of this thread and having been a member here for a couple of months).

This was one....there will undoubtedly be more forum members doing the same thing....after all, it is all about the money image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I just jumped on a box of ten, selling on the bay, still sealed from the mint that were shipped in May in hopes of finding the "golden ticket"

I love playing the lotto! Before anyone chastises me for buying the "hype" of the seller, I know that my chances are slim. I will have paid

about $36 ea. for the pleasure (or disappointment) of cracking those boxes open. Not too bad a price in my mind. At least I'll have some

coins to put under the Christmas tree this year if I don't get lucky......

I see that no one has gotten a reverse '07 in the mint sets yet. I only ordered one that has already shipped. Along the lines of a "lotto",

you can't win if you don't play! I wish myself image and here's to the rich and the wise imageimageimage

The Beatles
  • 6Sigma6Sigma Posts: 96 ✭✭

<< <i>don't give so quick..I have a 150 sets coming next week.. >>

How many sets do you plan to open upon receipt?

I have (10) that should arrive early this week. Will open them all. If the coins look OK, I'll keep them. If not, the Mint will get any Quality problem sets back.

Will post my results as soon the sets have been checked.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either U got a leg to stand on , or U don't.
  • I ordered 3 sets that are now in my closet still sealed in the box and will stay that way for my grandson to have the enjoyment of opening them long after i am dirt.
    I bet it wont take him that long to open them!

<< <i>

<< <i>don't give so quick..I have a 150 sets coming next week.. >>

How many sets do you plan to open upon receipt?

I have (10) that should arrive early this week. Will open them all. If the coins look OK, I'll keep them. If not, the Mint will get any Quality problem sets back.

Will post my results as soon the sets have been checked. >>

Going to open all 150 ..coins not 2008/07 ....will be donated ..oh wellimage

<< <i>I ordered 3 sets that are now in my closet still sealed in the box and will stay that way for my grandson to have the enjoyment of opening them long after i am dirt. >>

Hopefully you'll have also left him a note as well explaining what to look for and what they actually are, otherwise, its just 5 nice looking dollar coins and a shiney whatever.

Given all the unattributed stuff I have, me leaving it to my kids is totally pointless unless I tell them what it is they have inherited.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I just jumped on a box of ten, selling on the bay, still sealed from the mint that were shipped in May in hopes of finding the "golden ticket"

I love playing the lotto! Before anyone chastises me for buying the "hype" of the seller, I know that my chances are slim. I will have paid

about $36 ea. for the pleasure (or disappointment) of cracking those boxes open. Not too bad a price in my mind. At least I'll have some

coins to put under the Christmas tree this year if I don't get lucky......

I see that no one has gotten a reverse '07 in the mint sets yet. I only ordered one that has already shipped. Along the lines of a "lotto",

you can't win if you don't play! I wish myself image and here's to the rich and the wise imageimageimage >>

Luckyman, Please do share what you find! And a shipping date on the box would be very helpful for future bidders.

The name is LEE!
  • Ok Lyds will do....this box shipped out in late may and was received by the purchaser on june 7th.

so I'm anxious to see if there's any "luck of the Irish" in this box...I've got ten chances, right? Is

one or two out of ten asking too much??? image here's to the rich and the wise image

The Beatles
  • Received my order a few minutes ago and opened 2 sets. Both are 08/08 on the W Eagle. The coins look nice in the sets that I opened and as I stated in a prior post, I am keeping them.

I'm starting to have doubts that any 08/07s are in these sets, but it will be interesting to keep watching this post to see is a forum memeber finds one.

Happy hunting to those who are!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
    Just received my last 10 sets. Opened them and found all 08/08's. That's it for me unless some are found, I don't need any more.
  • This Monday's NGC POP report shows an increase of only 33 coins which is the lowest since the grading of these babies began

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007................ MS 6013
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Soooo, anyone find any milk spots on these babies yet?? I haven't so far.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Silver at 12.94 and precious metals dropping slowly...

Perhaps they will reprice these XA sets and make them more affordable?

<< <i>This Monday's NGC POP report shows an increase of only 33 coins which is the lowest since the grading of these babies began

2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844 >>

The first strikes have not moved for a couple of weeks and I doubt that they will now.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

<< <i>Excuse me gentleman and I will use that term for the time being. I am the seller and I am neither a CROOK nor a SCAM ARTIST......Perhaps if you had taken a moment to look at my feedback and read thru the listing you would see that I am not selling an error. I am selling the possibility that there might be.......And since I doubt any one of you packaged these yourselfs I would wonder how you have come upon your great knowledge of all things minted.............The old saying......more than one chicken does make a hen house...........Good day >>

Somehow....SOMEHOW....given this thread and all the hypesters and pumpers of this, I am 0% surprised that the seller was/is a forum member (albeit not many posts but obviously aware of this thread and having been a member here for a couple of months).

This was one....there will undoubtedly be more forum members doing the same thing....after all, it is all about the money image >>

I was just catching up and was about to say how I expected this to be a forum member. After all, he said the Mint will only admit to 46K of these things being made, and to my knowledge that FOIA number has NOT been published anywhere yet, except this thread. Figured it was someone lurking!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Afficiando said:

<< <i>what a total and complete waste of time and effort ordering the dollar set expecting a Rev silver dollar error. >>

I have not ordered any of these, and don't really plan on it yet, either. BUT, how big of an effort is it really to order these and check of few of them? Let them search!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Received 10 more sets today....8 of them were 2008 rev of 08...1 was 2007 GW Smoothie, I dropped the last one on the floor ,I'll post when I find it....

I think it was a Cheerios something....I'll let ya know...

<< <i>

<< <i>

This was one....there will undoubtedly be more forum members doing the same thing....after all, it is all about the money image >>

I was just catching up and was about to say how I expected this to be a forum member. After all, he said the Mint will only admit to 46K of these things being made, and to my knowledge that FOIA number has NOT been published anywhere yet, except this thread. Figured it was someone lurking! >>

The bid on this is up to $24.
  • IMO

See if you can picture this, because I don't have a beat a dead horse gif, fat guy....big stick......horse......frustrated fat guy w/44 magnum.......dead horse...Happy trails to you...happy trails........................... image
    What did he say?
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Well I just learned a very important lesson.....if you only type with (1) finger, don't try to post an answer to your own post , cause there are alot faster folks out there.....

Sorry, pitboss

I was aiming at myself...not you.

• TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    The third page?!? THE THIRD PAGE??!?!!?! No way!!

BUMP!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This Monday's NGC POP report shows an increase of only 33 coins which is the lowest since the grading of these babies began

2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844 >>

The first strikes have not moved for a couple of weeks and I doubt that they will now. >>

PCGS FS totals remained the same ....1669
    PCGS non FS totals went up by 18 to .1344
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>IMO

See if you can picture this, because I don't have a beat a dead horse gif, fat guy....big stick......horse......frustrated fat guy w/44 magnum.......dead horse...Happy trails to you...happy trails........................... image >>

there.. now put it some place where you won't lose it.. image

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
    All 10 of my Dollar Sets were 08 reverses.

The possibility of finding an 07 Reverse is getting slimmer and slimmer as time goes on.

The name is LEE!
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    hrlaser

thanks.......image
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    just got this email.. although it's no longer applicable to the sealed boxes of 2008-Ws.. I thought I'd post it here since so many people read this thread..

QUOTE::

Effective August 19, 2008, First Strike® inserts will once again be made available to members of the PCGS Collectors Club. This reverses a policy that went into effect on July 1, 2008, under which First Strike® inserts were limited to dealer submissions. "The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President. "Collectors like the First Strike® program and they want the opportunity to have their own coins certified." The revised policy applies only to current and future submissions. Collectors Club members may submit their coins under any service level with payment of the appropriate grading fees, plus an additional $12 per coin to cover the cost of the special, First Strike® insert. The extra fee includes the cost of returning the mint packaging to the customer. To qualify for the First Strike® insert, all submissions must be received by PCGS or sent in a mint-sealed package postmarked within 30 days of the original release date (see the PCGS website at www.pcgs.com/customer_service_update.chtml for deadline dates). For further information about the First Strike® program, visit www.pcgs.com/firststrike/ or call a PCGS Customer Service representative at 800-447-8848

Ron Guth
    President
    Professional Coin Grading Service
    www.pcgs.com

ENDOFQUOTE.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
    I see they raised their First Strike™ price by $2.00.

The name is LEE!
  • I think First Strike and Early Release should be discontinued all together until someone can really prove that they are first off the presses. To me,it's just the same as wondering if your old coin is a Chinese fake.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President

At the risk of getting someone with a lot of pull ticked off it sure took a long time to respond. Could it be a revenue issue?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I think First Strike and Early Release should be discontinued all together until someone can really prove that they are first off the presses. To me,it's just the same as wondering if your old coin is a Chinese fake. >>

Just don't repeat that in any "other" thread it'll be selectively poofed...

<< <i>The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President

At the risk of getting someone with a lot of pull ticked off it sure took a long time to respond. Could it be a revenue issue? >>

That was brought up by someone else in the other thread and suddenly the reply was poofed...
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President

At the risk of getting someone with a lot of pull ticked off it sure took a long time to respond. Could it be a revenue issue? >>

That was brought up by someone else in the other thread and suddenly the reply was poofed... >>

I always wondered what it is like to get poofed.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Wish i was a poofer,so i could poof the First Strikes and Early Releases.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file