Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President

At the risk of getting someone with a lot of pull ticked off it sure took a long time to respond. Could it be a revenue issue? >>

That was brought up by someone else in the other thread and suddenly the reply was poofed... >>

I always wondered what it is like to get poofed. >>

I am sorry Mr Grand Poof-bah. Politics has made me cynical.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • FWIW, this may now be the thread with the most posts on the US Coin forum. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>just got this email.. although it's no longer applicable to the sealed boxes of 2008-Ws.. I thought I'd post it here since so many people read this thread..

QUOTE::

Effective August 19, 2008, First Strike® inserts will once again be made available to members of the PCGS Collectors Club. This reverses a policy that went into effect on July 1, 2008, under which First Strike® inserts were limited to dealer submissions. "The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President. "Collectors like the First Strike® program and they want the opportunity to have their own coins certified." The revised policy applies only to current and future submissions. Collectors Club members may submit their coins under any service level with payment of the appropriate grading fees, plus an additional $12 per coin to cover the cost of the special, First Strike® insert. The extra fee includes the cost of returning the mint packaging to the customer. To qualify for the First Strike® insert, all submissions must be received by PCGS or sent in a mint-sealed package postmarked within 30 days of the original release date (see the PCGS website at www.pcgs.com/customer_service_update.chtml for deadline dates). For further information about the First Strike® program, visit www.pcgs.com/firststrike/ or call a PCGS Customer Service representative at 800-447-8848

Ron Guth
    President
    Professional Coin Grading Service
    www.pcgs.com

ENDOFQUOTE. >>

I Got the Same E-Mail,but my Question is what about Bulk Submissions? Just Suppose you have a Green Monster of ASE's or other Bulk items That would Qualify For First Strike Status? Do we still need to Find a Dealer to Submit those for us or Can we Submit them ourselves in Bulk Submission as before?? Anyone know? Ray in Florida..
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    1st batch Dollar sets recieved......2008/07......0 for 25....... but .. nice, pretty eagles ...

• << <i>

<< <i>just got this email.. although it's no longer applicable to the sealed boxes of 2008-Ws.. I thought I'd post it here since so many people read this thread..

QUOTE::

Effective August 19, 2008, First Strike® inserts will once again be made available to members of the PCGS Collectors Club. This reverses a policy that went into effect on July 1, 2008, under which First Strike® inserts were limited to dealer submissions. "The collecting community let us know loud and clear that they wanted access to the First Strike® inserts", said Ron Guth, PCGS President. "Collectors like the First Strike® program and they want the opportunity to have their own coins certified." The revised policy applies only to current and future submissions. Collectors Club members may submit their coins under any service level with payment of the appropriate grading fees, plus an additional $12 per coin to cover the cost of the special, First Strike® insert. The extra fee includes the cost of returning the mint packaging to the customer. To qualify for the First Strike® insert, all submissions must be received by PCGS or sent in a mint-sealed package postmarked within 30 days of the original release date (see the PCGS website at www.pcgs.com/customer_service_update.chtml for deadline dates). For further information about the First Strike® program, visit www.pcgs.com/firststrike/ or call a PCGS Customer Service representative at 800-447-8848

Ron Guth
    President
    Professional Coin Grading Service
    www.pcgs.com

ENDOFQUOTE. >>

I Got the Same E-Mail,but my Question is what about Bulk Submissions? Just Suppose you have a Green Monster of ASE's or other Bulk items That would Qualify For First Strike Status? Do we still need to Find a Dealer to Submit those for us or Can we Submit them ourselves in Bulk Submission as before?? Anyone know? Ray in Florida.. >>

I talked with the bulk department, still only dealers.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wish i was a poofer,so i could poof the First Strikes and Early Releases.image >>

Lots of people want these coins,even though they know they are not real first strikes,so what harm does it do?
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if the powers to be at PCGS would just release the bulk submissons back in the hands of collectors.

BTW...Not one 08REV07 ASE in my batch of 10 dollar sets.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    The $2.00 increase in the charge of a FS label may or may not have or not have something to do or not to do with the new features just added to the PCGS online price guide.. if you haven't checked out what they added.. check it out.. i was playing around with it today and what they've done is interesting, even useful, depending on your perspective, or definition of useful.. they implemented this new stuff so that it doesn't get in the way of regular use of the price guide at all.. the new stuff is there if you want to explore it, or you can just ignore it.. but since the underlying data was all there the whole time anyway, it probably took quite a bit of programming, and good programmers don't come cheap.. so maybe that's where the two buck hike for the FS label came from.. or maybe there was some other reason.. ::shrug:: ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

BTW...Not one 08REV07 ASE in my batch of 10 dollar sets. >>

okay.. so, after a week or so of reports, not a single 08/07 reported in these sets.. and i'll slap a $10.00 bill on the table and betcha there won't be.. any.. in these sets.. reported.. ever..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

BTW...Not one 08REV07 ASE in my batch of 10 dollar sets. >>

okay.. so, after a week or so of reports, not a single 08/07 reported in these sets.. and i'll slap a $10.00 bill on the table and betcha there won't be.. any.. in these sets.. reported.. ever..

Harv >>

I am reporting that I got a 08/07 ASE in a set. Can I have my $10 now?

You didn't say it had to be true image
    Wait, we haven't talked to that guy who found the one and only edge lettered Sac. Better check with him about the 08/07's in the dollar set. I have a feeling he "found" one.
  • Just wanted to show what just came in the mail today....yes, I gave in and bought one......

Now.....how rare is this coin really?......now that I own one? NGC ms70 early releases for inquiring minds...$800

Somebody tell me I done good....

p.s. that's a scanner or slab spot on the reverse, not a milk spot.......

here's to the rich and the wise....image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received two dollar sets today, both REV08
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • LuckyMan you did really Good!!!image
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A thing of beauty Lucky -- welcome to the "bright" side.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    A Beauty!

I may be unusual in that I tend to prefer the Unc versions to the Pf.
  • what is this I just saw, ANACS calls these "satin finish"?

I thought these are burnished finish.

Shows how often I look at ANACS, I guess.

*the new ANACS, that is.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The $2.00 increase in the charge of a FS label >>

The price didn;t really increase, Ron just threw in the $2.00 return charge if you wanted your original packaging returned.

The total is what its always been:

"an additional $12 per coin to cover the cost of the special, First Strike® insert. The extra fee includes the cost of returning the mint packaging to the customer. "

My bad...........
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    So if there is no packaging, is it $10??
    10 Prez sets. Straight 08's.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    none in my dollar sets either.

• All 08' rev's. Niceest looking coins I have seen from the mint though.

Can you send them back if you have opened them?

<< <i>So if there is no packaging, is it $10?? >>

I can't see why not!

I mean, January submissions are basic eagles and there simply is no packaging to return.

When the W coins come out, unless you are shipping the entire mint shipping container after the 30 day release date, there is no mint packaging to return.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>All 08' rev's. Niceest looking coins I have seen from the mint though.

Can you send them back if you have opened them? >>

Yes.

Opening the shrink wrap is the only method of actually 'looking' at the coins to determine whether or not you want to keep them.

The name is LEE!
    It really appears as though the coins have been looked at before being put in the presidential sets. This should surprise no one but it does leave the question

"WHERE ARE THE MISSING 25,000 ERROR COINS"?

Is this going cause sellers not to sell and drive prices higher?

I don't have the answer, do you!!!!
  • Afternoon all.
    What does anyone think happened to the rest of the 08 rev 07's?
    Will the mint destroy them, have them melted back into blanks or if no 08/08's left to put into sets use them when they run out of 08/08's.
    What has the mint done before when its pulled coins out of circulation/sale, if they have done this in this case.
    opps some just asked the same thing
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the most widely collected coins. Many people buy silver eagles every year, don't even look at them and just put them away. Others buy them as gifts for people who would otherwise not collect coins, then there are those who have hoards of these waiting for prices to increase, etc, etc. My opinion (and that is all this is, I have no secret documents or insider information) is that all the coins that were minted have been issued. There are no more 2008/07 errors coming from the mint. What was minted and sent out will trickle out into the marketplace in the coming years and the price will be determined by demand, hype and any other methods as has happened these last few months. I still have a few raws and I'm holding them. image
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

<< <i>It really appears as though the coins have been looked at before being put in the presidential sets. This should surprise no one but it does leave the question

"WHERE ARE THE MISSING 25,000 ERROR COINS"?

Is this going cause sellers not to sell and drive prices higher?

I don't have the answer, do you!!!! >>

How do you come up with "missing 25,000" coins? I am just curious because I secretly put 25,005 of these coins in my mattress. How did you find out. image
    YOU WISH!!!!!!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"WHERE ARE THE MISSING 25,000 ERROR COINS"? >>

According to my math ... approx 17,000 have been graded by NGC & PCGS ... my guess is, another 5k by other TPG's or self slabbers ...
    I would imagine that the 25k unaccounted ones is in the hands of "Harry or Harriet Homeowner" who does not read this Board or any Numismatic Magazines and collects only 1 or 2 ASE's annually. Just my uneducated wild guess...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the missing 'half' of the coins is an interesting bit of evidence.

I believe that the coins were minted, shipped, and are in the hands of folks.

It's a great measure of the folks that actually look at their coins (discovered varieties) versus the ones that stuff it away in a box in the closet (the balance of the 25k coins).

Almost exactly half and half...folks that look at their coins and folks that simply hoard them.

I do not think we have any evidence that any of them were melted.
  • I believe the Mint had thier packaging people go thru these coins to find as many possible.What else would explain the poor packaging and the indentation on the back of the holder showing how they where popped out and possibly replaced with a regular coin.IMHO.
    Could it be that the packaging problem was due to these coins having already been looked at coins that have been returned to the mint for refunds?

I know I returned some after checking them!!!

Is everyone going to claim they kept all their coins?

I know of quite a few hundred that were returned by lookers!!!

HOW ABOUT EVERYONE HERE, are you all saying that you didn't return any after looking them over?
    I returned a few that had dark spots on them and the ones that were ransacked, and the rest I simply included with the 08/07's and the rest I kept...although some of the ones I kept upon second glance have spots as well. Best description is a visible medium dark brownish dot the size of a ballpoint pen dot.
  • I for one didn't return any of the 20 i bought in increments of 5 each.
    Ok Dokey, I opened one of them and the spot came off....

<< <i>It really appears as though the coins have been looked at before being put in the presidential sets. This should surprise no one but it does leave the question >>

Really? How do you know these have been looked at? I mean, what exactly are the clues?

<< <i>"WHERE ARE THE MISSING 25,000 ERROR COINS"? >>

This is an easy one,

THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GRADED! Just like every PLATINUM EAGLE has not been graded. Add my 3 to the sum totals!

<< <i>Is this going cause sellers not to sell and drive prices higher? >>

No!

The name is LEE!

<< <i>What else would explain the poor packaging and the indentation on the back of the holder showing how they where popped out and possibly replaced with a regular coin.IMHO. >>

SAE Returns from folks that didn;t find an 08/07 with their subsequent orders.

The name is LEE!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Why is this thread growing irritating and offensive?

I,m not offended in any way,are you? I,m just asking questions!

• << <i>Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive. >>

Grass cops...[sigh].

Maybe we should make a new forum?

<< <i>Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive. >>

Not me!

Personally, I think if you find it irritating and offensive then you should simply resist the temptation to open it up to see what folks are yacking about now as the subject matter does change.

I also think this one will start kicking it up a notch after the summer doldrums fade from eBay. Come November/December, I won't even have to power up my PC to hear the whooping and hollering!

And heaven help us if someone finds an 80/07 in one of the 2008 Dollar Coin Sets!

The name is LEE!
  • I, for one, love this thread.....and I am keeping my 10 dollar sets only 2 of which I opened. These will sit with last years 10 sets. I didn't buy them for the 08/07 possibility 'cuz I figured that chance was slim. I just like the sets and the quality coins in them.
    Oh yeah...did I say I love this thread??? image

One more thing.........I don't know about 25k sitting with the "duh" crowd.....something just doesn't seem right about that. If someone collects ASE's and is with it enough to get them direct from the Mint then ya would think they would have heard the rumor about "some special coins"

edited for spelling (and I make fun of the "duh crowd")
    I love this thread also, it is one of the few that I follow. I also agree that come Nov/Dec, this will be quite an exciting thing to watch.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive.

HEY, I resemble that remark ! ! ! imageimageimage

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    bATCH ..# 2. Dollar sets....... 000000000 for 50 , on the 2008/07s..these Eagles look too nice , fresh , to have been sitting around for several months.
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive. >>

If you like " I " can Change the tittle of the thread.

That's FUNNY $HIT, I don't care who you are!!!! image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive.

Nothing irritating OR offensive about the name 'John Nanney' at all. How many here were able to make profits (some made nice profits, some made huge profits, but profits were made none the less) due to John Nanney's keen eyes? He is owed alot of thanks. Though I haven't sold any that I bought, as of yet, it was this thread that enabled me to get in, at a really good (ok, cheap) price, allowing me to make a healthy profit should current prices hold or rise (should the Mint reveal an actual mintage, if it is smaller than the '95 W, who knows how high it could go). I didn't get in on the ground floor, but getting in on the first floor was rather painless, given the immediate, stratospheric rise in prices this coin saw. Irritating and offensive are not words that come to mind when I see the words 'John Nanney'. Diligent and opportunistic are two words that DO come to mind, though.

SOMEONE was going to make the discovery, MUCH more sooner than later. John Nanney just happened to be the 'chosen one'. Whoever 'discovers' a previously unknown error/major variety cements a small place in numismatic history. It's just unfortunate, borderline wrong, that JN can't get a pedigree for his discovery coin.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.

• << <i>Thanks to this interminable thread, the name "John Nanney" grows increasingly irritating and offensive. >>

Can you pls.explain your statement above?
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5900?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file