Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    Looks like the pops have increased recently. My set registry lists the MS70 pop as 119.

The actual pop report now shows 287. More than doubled since I got mine graded.

I think PCGS did get easier on these!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the pops have increased recently. My set registry lists the MS70 pop as 119.

I think PCGS did get easier on these! >>

It's been over 264 since 8/24 ... don't know what you've been looking at. The pop report for the First Strike remains at 168 and has been at that figure since I started tracking it on 8/10
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the pops have increased recently. My set registry lists the MS70 pop as 119.

It's been over 264 since 8/24 ... don't know what you've been looking at. The pop report for the First Strike remains at 168 and has been at that figure since I started tracking it on 8/10 >>

hOW ARE PRICES HOLDING UP FOR THE 2008/07s ?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

and I am the proud owner of 1 of those 168
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the owner of 1 of the 168 also. I have two MS69 First Strikes, one has spotted image

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and I am the proud owner of 1 of those 168 >>

Two for me.

Ren(W)
  • Options
    I wonder how many are held by people from this forum...
    put me down for three... 2 1st strike and 1 non 1st strike
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we counting non first strikes too?

I have the following 08/07 coins:
    1 PCGS MS70 First Strike
    2 PCGS MS69 First Strike
    2 PCGS MS70
    20 PCGS MS69
    1 NGC MS70 ER
    2 NGC MS69 ER

I think that's the first time I have every really told the whole truth on how many I have.
  • Options
    2008/07

I have one PCGS MS70 first strike
    one NGC 70 early release
    nine PCGS MS69 first strike
    one PCGS Ms 69 reg strike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>and I am the proud owner of 1 of those 168 >>

Two for me.

Ren(W) >>

The 168 figure is for the First Strike coin...yours is not and your figure is: 287
  • Options

<< <i>hOW ARE PRICES HOLDING UP FOR THE 2008/07s ? >>

Dropping like a "lead balloon" .... at $400 and dropping.
  • Options

<< <i>hOW ARE PRICES HOLDING UP FOR THE 2008/07s ? >>

I got $455 a week ago for a non-ER NGC69. I didn't think that was too bad at all....
  • Options
    2008/07

This is what I have left -

NGC MS70 1
    NGC MS69 4
    Raw 4

• Options

Ren(W) >>

The 168 figure is for the First Strike coin...yours is not and your figure is: 287 >>

Thanks OPA.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's been over 264 since 8/24 ... don't know what you've been looking at. The pop report for the First Strike remains at 168 and has been at that figure since I started tracking it on 8/10 >>

Thanks for the update, I don't track the pops, just check them occasionally.
    I was confused because the coins in my Set Registry don't have updated pops shown at all!!
    I was saying that in my Registry data, it lists my MS70 non-FS as 1 of 119, whereas the pop report shows 287.

Come on PCGS!
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody going to bid on this one? >>

Ouch! $1,700 and it didn;t sell!

Is the fire going out on these or was the price too unreasonable?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is the fire going out on these or was the price too unreasonable? >>

For me, the spotting issue outweighed my desire to hold any of these. The couple I had have long been gone and I don't miss them. It was quite fun being involved with them for awhile though. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Looks like the thread title needs to be changed to: Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the cellar image
  • Options

<< <i>

You can get the non F/S for less than that on eBay ....

Ebay Link

Not my auction ... The First Strike PCGS 70 are still around $2K
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks like the thread title needs to be changed to: Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the cellar image >>

Hey goldbully.. what are you going to call the 2009 high relief gold coin ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks like the thread title needs to be changed to: Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the cellar image >>

Hey goldbully.. what are you going to call the 2009 high relief gold
    coin ? >>

I disagree ... but would change to the title to: reverse going through a normal correction....getting $400 for a $26 coin, is not considered going through the "cellar"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>First of all I don't think what is said on this forum affects the "mania" of this coin in any great way. The coin collecting world is much bigger than this forum.
    [snip]..
    As for the coin itself, it is still way early in the "game" to make any absolute predictions other than watching where the prices go. These appear to have stabilized and having the coin in the greysheet, if anything at all, would stabilize the price even more since a printed "value" has been placed on the coin.

Again, still too early. >>

>>

I too was made aware of this coin from this forum but I don't consider that to have affected demand and what people are paying to a large degree. I think it takes a larger customer "mass" to affect the price than exists on this board. >>

these Collectors Universe boreds have something around 22,000 registered members.. there are MANY boreds other than the US Coin Forum where this thread exists, and hundreds of threads just on this Forum.. there are also areas for all kinds of things other than US coins, World coins, Registry sets, and so on.. there are boards for stamps, sports cards, comics, records, and other collectibles.. so the population of the 22,000 registered members who are even registered to CU's boreds to begin with, who are participating in this particular thread (by participating, i mean posting.. no way to know how many others are lurking and never say a thing).. is much smaller than that number..

there are FAR more than 47,000 ASE collectors in the USA.. if the US Mint actually shipped 47,000 08/07s.. only a fraction of ASE collectors can ever own one.. that fact that one guy owns or owned 95 of them means he eliminated 94 other people who want one..

there's something in the realm of 100 million USA residents who consider themselves "coin collectors" to some extent or another.. so in the grand scheme of things, 47,000 is a miniscule number.. and, depending on how many the Mint actually shipped.. and there is WAY to much anecdotal evidence to believe all 47,000 they claim they made actually got shipped.. i still think this coin has tremendous upside potential as it is not only a popular series, widely-collected, but is getting more and more recognition from the "authorities", the press, the book publishers, the dealer sheets.. everywhere..

i've been reading CW longer, probably, than many reading what i'm typing have been alive.. i could be wrong, and would be glad to be proven wrong, but i can't remember one other single example in recent memory where an outfit like Coast to Coast advertised a specific buy price for a specific coin in one of their huge double-page display ads.. sure, the weeklies are filled with "wanted to buy" ads.. their classifieds are filled with insulting offers to buy this or that or "if your holdings warrant, we'll fly to you!", never making any mention about just how much your holdings have to be for them to put some joker with an empty briefcase and a blank check on a plane to fly to you to buy it all..

at any rate, the point i'm perhaps badly making here is that this thread on this bored on this Web site is not the be-all, end-all of the population of people who want this coin.. there's a finite number of them to go around, and there are far fewer of them than people who want them.. IN MY OPINION.. which will keep the price on an upward trend, with an occasional lull.. weeks.. months.. years.. don't ask me when it'll be worth what.. i don't know, and neither does anyone else.. unless you have a time machine.. in which case, i'd like to rent it for a few hours.. and if i could get in a time machine, i'd go back, not forward.. and i promise not to step on a bug.. or at least try to.. would hate to come back and find you've all turned into lizards and it's raining donuts.. >>

One has to wonder if the 08/07 is making it way down the Wisconsin High Leaf/Low Leaf path as predicted back in June?

BTW. the op in the linked thread was a HUGE supported of the Hi/Lo leaf quarters much like Mr. Koo but given the amount of time that has passed since the introduction of the quarters, I think its fair to say that, while the 08/07 has big collector appeal, its not any where near what the 95-W coins are. Prices will continue to go down (even though its the Christmas Season which was supposed to BOOST sales) until they level off.

I just did a quick search and found only 14 listing as of today. Fairly small compared to the 160+ a scant 6 months ago.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Hey goldbully.. what are you going to call the 2009 high relief gold coin ?

A gorgeous gold piece that is unique and one of a kind.

Hey bestday, I have one John Nanney ASE...MS69FS........should I sell or hold???
  • Options
    Lee ... in my search, I've located 55 open listings under: 2008 2007 reverse ( under coins & currency), which is down considerably from even 30 days ago.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am thinking that these are actually holding up pretty well considering that people are strapped with Christmas shopping and with an economy that is looking kind of shakey. Look at gas today. Anyone paying $4.00/gal still?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey goldbully.. what are you going to call the 2009 high relief gold coin ?

A gorgeous gold piece that is unique and one of a kind.

>>

The world's most expensive and smallest cereal bowl! image

The Mint screwed up edge lettering so badly and they spew out so may error coins that the edge lettering is LEGISLATED off the Presidential DollErs and back onto their faces for 2009.. and now they're going to try edge lettering on an >$1000.00 double-thick, 24k Gold coin!?.. this should be interesting.. I'm drooling for one of those but the old gut tells me they're going to seriously over-price it like they do everything else.. Gold has been going back up again.. and I fear they're going to price the 2009 UHR Saint at $1200.00 or more.. I was drawing the line of my limit at a grand.. :-(

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

coin ? >>

I disagree ... but would change to the title to: reverse going through a normal correction....getting $400 for a $26 coin, is not considered going through the "cellar" >>

Impossible to argue with your logic, OPA. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

coin ? >>

I disagree ... but would change to the title to: reverse going through a normal correction....getting $400 for a $26 coin, is not considered going through the "cellar" >>

Impossible to argue with your logic, OPA. image >>

GOLDBULLY..save your 2008/07s..sell your 2006 gold Anniv
  • Options
    I am thinking that these are actually holding up pretty well considering that people are strapped with Christmas shopping and with an economy that is looking kind of shakey. Look at gas today. Anyone paying $4.00/gal still?

Coinsponge, I fully agree with your assessment. I know there have been a million guesses, but I firmly believe final numbers will make this THE key, and while it is an error/variety, it wasn't specially struck, like the '95-W or the '06 Rev Proof. It's an unc coin. It still gives the average collector a shot at completing a rather cheap (not CHEAP, but in 69, most of the coins can be gotten for short money) set to put together in MS69 with present price levels. This is what will drive the price upwards, because it IS an easily attainable set to complete. With the amount of '08 Rev '07 still being held by forumites, if the mintage is low enough, the price could rise rapidly, especially given the total number on auction/available on the bay, as 19Lyds said (14). I don't think it will fetch '95-W prices, in the long run, unless we DO get a reliable number of how many did leave the mint, and it's ridiculously low. A number of you have mentioned (with good reason) there may be countless numbers of them in closets. There may NOT be big numbers of them in those closets. I think those that paid attention to this thread will end up very satisfied with the money made from them, when all is said and done. I made out very well. I do have one NGC ER 69 left, bought a bunch at $149 (missed them at $99 by ONE day!), sold too early, though I did sell in the $400 range, so no real complaints as far as sheer profit for me, and regardless of how it drops or gains, I'm holding this last one for the long haul. I didn't get mine at mint issue prices like many of you did. I don't think anyone that got involved in them early on (THANKS TO JOHN NANNEY) could be disappointed. Regardless of how it drops or gains in the future, I'm holding this last one for the long haul...and regardless of price, mine cost me nothing, and I have a complete set, all packaged in 'FoodSaver' air-tight sleeves, and none, not one, shows spotting (I highly suggest the 'FoodSaver' thing...I purposely kept an '87 and an '88 PCGS MS69 NOT in those sleeves, and both have developed spotting...I won't ever own an ASE that isn't in the air-tight FoodSaver sleeves).

The comparison with the Wisconsin Hi/Lo leaf is apples & oranges, IMHO (though Loyd, I can't argue with you, as you have far more knowledge than I do, I just see this as an unfair comparison, and will explain why I see it differently than you do). So many state quarters to begin with for the set, gotta add Satin Finish, Extra Tree...who knows how many varieties will end up part of the set? Do you start your set from 1932, 1965, or 1999??? The ASE is a simple set, straight up...24 coins total. It's easy to find backdates. Sure the '96 is up there, but keys DO cost more money in ANY series...and the '96 is STILL about a $100 coin. If it weren't for 'First Strikes', that would be the ONLY coin in the MS series that's over $100. Using strictly CU price guide pricing, $110 for the '96 and $145 for the '06-W First Strike, the only 2 in MS69 over $100. Using that same guide, there are only 5 dates in the entire series over $50 in MS69...and 3 of those are from '06 (the 3 minted at West Point). Only one West Point coin is needed for the set, so that cuts the number of coins that are over $50 in a set to 3...the '94, the '96, and whichever '06-W is purchased. Also, the set shares double duty as being a store of silver, which everyone feels comfy with. The only kicker in the ASE set is finding them without milk-spotting, and there are still plenty of those to be had. Only 14 on the bay right now? At that rate, with the supply/demand thing going on, it's just a matter of time until the prices we see now become firm, and start to rise, especially as spending money on gifts will be finished. It just goes hand in hand with Coinsponges statement, that I included above. I, myself, did not desire to put this set together, initially, then the W's came out. Because of this forum, I got multiples of each years West Point version. Common sense sold off most (the '07's... I picked my nicest one sold off the rest), except the '06-W, and in no time (less than a year of simply casual looking...never hunted, just glanced for them when the mood struck), I have been able to find nice spot free examples of every year.

I wonder how TonyWKoo made out in the long run......

Lastly, DID Lope ever get the follow-up answer? Seeing how their initial response was something that all of us, who paid attention to this thread specifically, already knew, and that info was free?
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I'm still amazed to see that prices on these are still holding this well considering that they never gained the mainstream media attention that some other modern error/varieties have received.

Also hope that everyone has or will do well with these little chunks of silber!

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

I am thinking that these are actually holding up pretty well considering that people are strapped with Christmas shopping and with an economy that is looking kind of shakey. Look at gas today. Anyone paying $4.00/gal still? >>

I'm now down to 146.9!
  • Options

<< <i>I am thinking that these are actually holding up pretty well considering that people are strapped with Christmas shopping and with an economy that is looking kind of shakey. Look at gas today. Anyone paying $4.00/gal still? >>

I'm now down to 146.9! >>

In So. Calif., the name brands are stuck at about $1.75/gallon for Regular.. but that's a damn sight better than the $5.00/gallon it was earlier this year.. the Nielsen Ratings people sent me a letter out of the blue with $8.00 in cash paper-clipped to it and a very short teevee survey.. the letter said fill out the survey, send it back, and you'll get a gift.. I looked up their corporate headquarters and called them to make sure it was legit.. it was.. I pocketed the eight bucks, mailed back the survey, forgot all about it it, and two months later (a week or two ago).. a $25.00 Exxon / Mobil gas card shows up in the mail.. $25.00 of free gasoline sure goes a lot farther at $1.75/gallon than it would have at $5.00/gallon.. now Gold is shooting up again, it's actually higher than Platinum.. the $ is in the toilet again.. the Dow goes up 300 or 400 points one day, goes down 300 or 400 points the next.. almost NOTHING has gotten cheaper this year except gasoline.. I can't figure any of this out.. my brain hurts..

I have one NGC MS69 ER left and like you, it's on long-term hold.. sold my other three for about $500.00 each.. not a bad ROI considering they csot me $140.00 each back in May which seems like an eternity ago.. I didn't get on the lucky circus train and get any from the Mint at issue price.. missed that window by a day or two.. sigh..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>. almost NOTHING has gotten cheaper this year except gasoline >>

Shares in my mutual funds are much cheaper this year image
  • Options

<< <i>Coinsponge, I fully agree with your assessment. I know there have been a million guesses, but I firmly believe final numbers will make this THE key, ........ >>

Small News Flash.....................

For the Unc SAE's, this coin IS the key.

However, as some had predicted, it will not surpass the $1,000 for common grades and the only real money makers (which is true of any of the SAE's) are the PCGS MS70's and First Strike MS70's.

This coin has done quite well but the Wisconsin Extra Leaf quarters did much better and for a lot longer. I expect the generic prices to continue to slide to around the $300 level (which is a great price) over the next year or so.

This one was definitely a rush..............

Oh yeah!

How'd this thread end up so far back in the posts. I had to go back quite a ways to find it? You guys tired of playing?

<< <i>Hey goldbully.. what are you going to call the 2009 high relief gold coin ? >>

I think the first thing he's gonna call it is "MINE!"....."ALL MINE!!!"

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Speaking of 08/07's, Is this guys pictures in this lot of 3-Raw o8/07's the same coin photos, just put up 3 times? link I asked him about his $50 shipping through UPS and didn't get a response, and all the pictures appear to be the same.

• Options

<< <i>
    How'd this thread end up so far back in the posts. I had to go back quite a ways to find it? >>

1 - ever heard of "bookmarks"?.. They've been in every Web browser I've ever used going back to the text-based Lynx..

B - do you have these boreds set up to send you an email when a thread you've subscribed to gets a new posting?.. or maybe you don't subscribe to any threads.. topics.. whatever..

III - I've got one 08/07 left.. an NGC MS69 ER, which I may or may not sell or not sell to fund half or not half of the 2009 UHR Saint which I am drooling to own.. and I'd rather have the UHR than the 08/07 if I have to sell it to pay for half of the other.. so those are the only ones I wactch.. but a guy who bought two of my 69s for $500.00 each and even covered the PayPal fees will buy my last one for the same price any time I want to sell it to him, so eBay ain't gonna get a cent of profit from it.. as far as the NGC MS69 ERs and non ERs go.. except for the occasional one with a horribly lousy picture that looks like a pea on a sofa a mile away, and closes at like 2am on a Monday morning, they're hovering in the $425.00 to $450.00 region on eBay.. with fewer and fewer being listed.. any number of reasons for that which I'm too tired to get into..

four - Happy Holidays..

Harv
  • Options
    My ASE errors are all gone, 'cept for one; ...Enjoyed the run HH! Now go find us another goody. image

These ASE funds have sure helped my "first page" Walker upgrades. For a minute I was considering skipping any UHR purchase so I could keep on a roll with the Walkers. Then I regained a bit of sense, not much, but a bit. I hope to be in for two UHRs.

Y'all have a safe and happy holiday season.

*maybe it's "u all" ...or, "U all" ???!!!
  • Options
    I still have a few 69's to sell after the holidays and I'm going to hold on to the 70's ....Happy Holidays and happy coin hunting to all image
  • Options

I think I will just hold on to mine for right now and see what happens a couple of years down the line.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I too have a couple ungraded which will head to PCGS in the future.
    Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    How'd this thread end up so far back in the posts. I had to go back quite a ways to find it? >>

1 - ever heard of "bookmarks"?.. They've been in every Web browser I've ever used going back to the text-based Lynx..

B - do you have these boreds set up to send you an email when a thread you've subscribed to gets a new posting?.. or maybe you don't subscribe to any threads.. topics.. whatever..

III - I've got one 08/07 left.. an NGC MS69 ER, which I may or may not sell or not sell to fund half or not half of the 2009 UHR Saint which I am drooling to own.. and I'd rather have the UHR than the 08/07 if I have to sell it to pay for half of the other.. so those are the only ones I wactch.. but a guy who bought two of my 69s for $500.00 each and even covered the PayPal fees will buy my last one for the same price any time I want to sell it to him, so eBay ain't gonna get a cent of profit from it.. as far as the NGC MS69 ERs and non ERs go.. except for the occasional one with a horribly lousy picture that looks like a pea on a sofa a mile away, and closes at like 2am on a Monday morning, they're hovering in the $425.00 to $450.00 region on eBay.. with fewer and fewer being listed.. any number of reasons for that which I'm too tired to get into..

four - Happy Holidays..

Harv >>

Sure I've heard of bookmarks which is what gets me here everyday. I never saw a need to subscribe to this particular thread since it was always page one.

I still have my 1 MS69 FS and 3 raw coins which I suppose I should send one in and at least put the other in the Dansco. I wonder if the W coins will be produced in 2009?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Do you think it would help or hurt the value of the 3 years worth of W's if there are no 09's??? The yearly dollar set wouldn't be the same either
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think it would help or hurt the value of the 3 years worth of W's if there are no 09's??? The yearly dollar set wouldn't be the same either >>

Why wouldn't there be any 2009 Ws?.. Well I can tell you where there WON'T be a "W" in about three weeks.. image

Harv
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you think it would help or hurt the value of the 3 years worth of W's if there are no 09's??? The yearly dollar set wouldn't be the same either >>

Why wouldn't there be any 2009 Ws?..
    Harv >>

Well, given the fact that the mint has been having so much trouble procuring silver blanks and the fact that the Uncirculated Eagles is a relatively "new" program (only 3 years) I was kinda wondering if that program might be one that gets axed?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

I would be very surprised if they cancelled that program as it is highly popular .
  • Options
    Maybe they will make it available ONLY in the dollar set....They could dump more dollar coins that way but it would be a pain for W collectors but they would have more silver blanks for the green monster boxes
  • Options

Why worry about the green monster boxes, they make more money on the "W's".
  • Options
    The W-UNC's would make a nice short set if the mint discontinued.

image one last time for a great year!!
    Thanks John Nanney image
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to all you merry 07 on 08 W ASE collectors!
  • Options

Happy New Year !

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file