Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    When will the mint website come back up?
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    The Mint will come back up

about the same time that Lazarus

is once again , raised from the dead.

Redoing the website ,the same day that

a major new issue come on line, is either the

height of idiocy or a cunning attempt to create

a feeling of product scarcity.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $430 looks like the going price for now.
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on what the gold ones will do?

<< <i>Does anyone have any thoughts on what the gold ones will do? >>

The gold Unc could be the sleeper here.

This has been mentioned several times.....I'm not talking about it again.

We need to keep it a secret.

One more note....free PCGS submission on one gold coin...wonder what I'll submit????? image
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think the gold has one of the best designs out there.

• << <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have any thoughts on what the gold ones will do? >>

The gold Unc could be the sleeper here.

This has been mentioned several times.....I'm not talking about it again.

We need to keep it a secret.

One more note....free PCGS submission on one gold coin...wonder what I'll submit????? image >>

Yep, that is my exact thinking!!!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Must...resist....potential flipping!

Got...burned......last time!
    $450 Wish i could order these sets by the gross!!! image
  • If PCGS says "no" to special designation, can I have all 3 coins put in 1 multiholder???
    my EBAY items
    Successful forum transactions: jessewvu, nankraut, tootawl, levinll, mistercoinman, metalsman, adamlaneus, chuckc, fivecents, kingplatinum, jdimmick, waterzooey, moderncoinmart, bige, steelielee,
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If PCGS says "no" to special designation, can I have all 3 coins put in 1 multiholder??? >>

Only if all three are the same grade and designation
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Must...resist....potential flipping!

Got...burned......last time! >>

I lose money on everything I sell but I make it up in volume.

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>$450 Wish i could order these sets by the gross!!! image >>

take that $450.00 and then take out eBay listing fees, final value fees, PayPal's skim (if he got paid that way).. and what he'll lose on the Postage (how's he gonna ship that somewhere by Priority mail, and Insure it for $500.00 and not lose money by charging $10.00 for shipping?).. plus the $3.xx/gal gasoline to drive it to the Post office.. and the $375.00 cost of the set, and how much did he really make on it?.. fifty bucks? more? less? a bag or two of groceries?.. if ya ask me, selling it now as a pre-sale is selling it too soon, especially if ya only have ONE to sell.. when they're sold out, i think you'll see them going for quite a bit more.. but i could be wrong.. these SHOULD have sold out by now and if The Mint's Web site was working this past week, i'm pretty sure they would have.. this whole Bald Eagle thing is a real strange situation because of the huge ordering snafu.. if i was a conspiracy nut, i'd say they made it phone and mail ordering only on purpose.. the timing of shutting off Web ordering was VERY peculiar.. and a VERY odd coincidence.. if it was a coincidence..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I am curious if the mint is open for orders today, with it being a holiday and all, if anyone gets an order in, hopefully they will post here....
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, hrlaser.

I wonder if the mint has had problems with something like "bot" setups, where maybe a bunch of

computers are programmed to order stuff from the mint at a certain time? Obviously, I don't know about

this kind of thing, but I believe there is way more to this than just a "small error" in judgement.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$450 Wish i could order these sets by the gross!!! image >>

take that $450.00 and then take out eBay listing fees, final value fees, PayPal's skim (if he got paid that way).. and what he'll lose on the Postage (how's he gonna ship that somewhere by Priority mail, and Insure it for $500.00 and not lose money by charging $10.00 for shipping?).. plus the $3.xx/gal gasoline to drive it to the Post office.. and the $375.00 cost of the set, and how much did he really make on it?.. fifty bucks? more? less? a bag or two of groceries?.. if ya ask me, selling it now as a pre-sale is selling it too soon, especially if ya only have ONE to sell.. when they're sold out, i think you'll see them going for quite a bit more.. but i could be wrong.. these SHOULD have sold out by now and if The Mint's Web site was working this past week, i'm pretty sure they would have.. this whole Bald Eagle thing is a real strange situation because of the huge ordering snafu.. if i was a conspiracy nut, i'd say they made it phone and mail ordering only on purpose.. the timing of shutting off Web ordering was VERY peculiar.. and a VERY odd coincidence.. if it was a coincidence.. >>

image (to the mint going dark at a peculiar time)
    Any orders today??????

3 coin sets still available??

Market crash on Tuesday???

That's it from me!!! image
  • I am guessing, since there were no posts today, and it being a federal holiday, the mint probably wasn't opened.

<< <i>I am guessing, since there were no posts today, and it being a federal holiday, the mint probably wasn't opened. >>

Actually they are open, and the rep said they do have more 3 coin sets in stock.

Took 2 minutes to get that answer!!!!!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    UHH, Com'mon GB, call back and ask how many more...?image

Forgot the apostrophe...now it makes sense...

<< <i>UHH, Common GB, call back and ask how many more...?image >>

Gee, you say I shouldn't believe what the official Mint rep says??????? image
    I'm just wondering if they will give out the number remaining?...image

Edit above, I forgot the '
    Cas, how would they know...their computer online shopping system is down.......image

• << <i>

<< <i>I am guessing, since there were no posts today, and it being a federal holiday, the mint probably wasn't opened. >>

Actually they are open, and the rep said they do have more 3 coin sets in stock.

Took 2 minutes to get that answer!!!!! >>

Wow, I'm wrong again! image
    Ya, How would they know...image

• placed another order for 2 unc gold at 9:00am # 27842xxx nothing sold out!! she said it might be a couple more days for the website to be up.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>placed another order for 2 unc gold at 9:00am # 27842xxx nothing sold out!! she said it might be a couple more days for the website to be up. >>

Only 40,000 orders for the Mint in a week, during new issues, boy the Mint is bumming.

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Ordered today:

#27859XXX
  • Cancelled my 'Bald Eagle Order' today and bought a set of 2008 Emblems of Britain Gold Proof Set.
    I like the gold :-) and off course Royal Mint website ordering is operational. :-)
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Mint Sets Make the Best Investments?
    From Susan Headley,
    Link

She doesn't think much of the 3 coin set..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭
    image.......She may be right.......When the site goes back up, may cancel mine, and just get the dollar coins.
    she has an obvious point......

also the population of collector's per type of coin.

learn by mistakes, not luck

• I highly disagree with her, at least in the case of this set. I do think the COA and the popularity of this series (at least the positive buzz it has gotten so far), will make this set AS ISSUED keep a premium over the individual coins. Her point on the nickel set should prove that, not disprove it, by it's affordability, the only good thing about that set is the nickel, no one cared about the rest of the set. Everyone seems to like this bald eagle set. JMHO.
    she also failed to mention that after 02/14/2008, assuming the three-coin Proof set is sold out (which i expect it will be..) .. that the three individual coins will cost MORE if one buys all three than the three-coin set costs now.. since THEY have a "pre-release" price which goes UP to a "regular price" on that date.. the three-coin set does not have a pre-release and a regular (higher) price.. they won't cost MUCH more (five bucks total).. but still that five bucks can buy you a full tank of gasoline! (assuming it's 1967..) image

(Edited to add: image )..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • i bought the 3 coin set because it comes in it's own multi coin holder, plus the coa. what better way to look at the set. for a extra $25.00, that's cheap!! these coins are a true winner!!!

<< <i>she also failed to mention that after 02/14/2008, assuming the three-coin Proof set is sold out (which i expect it will be..) .. that the three individual coins will cost MORE if one buys all three than the three-coin set costs now.. since THEY have a "pre-release" price which goes UP to a "regular price" on that date.. the three-coin set does not have a pre-release and a regular (higher) price.. they won't cost MUCH more (five bucks total).. but still that five bucks can buy you a full tank of gasoline! (assuming it's 1967..) image

(Edited to add: image ).. >>

still it's just the stinkin' box....and i do have a couple of sets coming my way. so far the box is perfume. time will tell.

maybe the mint will "pre-release" First Spouse Coins to help sales along.image

Say it ain't so!!!!! image

eBay Link

• << <i>Say it ain't so!!!!! image

eBay Link >>

Yep, these are still selling for more than issue price and they are not even sold out yet, still!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Say it ain't so!!!!! image

eBay Link >>

I don't get it. It has to be a shill bidder situation to create a false market. Otherwise why not just buy from the mint if they are still on sale. I could see a slight markup for convienience but not a major one.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>Say it ain't so!!!!! image

eBay Link >>

Yep, these are still selling for more than issue price and they are not even sold out yet, still! >>

as far as we know they're not sold out.. does every Mint order taker actually get handed a sheet once a day or more than once a day or can they see on a screen how much of something is left to sell?.. then there's that fine print when you order anything that they can cancel your order for just about any reason they can dream up.. including when they take more orders than the quantity of something being made..

even a confirmed order doesn't mean diddley squat becasue right now we can't even Track those orders on their broken Web site to learn the status.. have any of you been CHARGED for any of the Bald Eagle coins yet?.. i haven't.. and my order confirmation email from a week ago said the shipping date was anticipated to be 01/30/2008.. that's a week away.. in my experience, and probably yours, the charge usually comes through a day or two before they ship.. and if i remember correctly, the very first one of these sets that pre-sold on eBay went for $699.00..

so the question is.. after they truly do sell out, and people actually have them in their hot little hands.. so they can use the magic "in hand!" and "not a pre-sale!" and "sold out!" words.. are the eBay prices going to keep going up or will they start coming down?.. and nobody knows the answer to that yet..

• I love this set...(bought one) most beautiful design in a long time (gold and silver) (you can have the screamin' eagle chicks...clad) but I'm

going to stock up on the gold and silver individuals (just hope the silver doesn't develop milk spots) Thinking this will be an Ebay bonaza

year, especially if they do reduce their rates for listing and final value (are you listening Paypal?) can't wait to have them in hand! image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • From the cover of Numismatic News Dated Jan 29: PHONES JAM FOR BALD EAGLES... Jammed phone line and a lack of an internet ordering alternative might have given the imporession that everybody is buying the new Bald Eagle Commemorative...... The lines were still jammed on the second day of sales as this story was prepared.

More hype, can't be bad for the price!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    so the question is.. after they truly do sell out, and people actually have them in their hot little hands.. so they can use the magic "in hand!" and "not a pre-sale!" and "sold out!" words.. are the eBay prices going to keep going up or will they start coming down?.. and nobody knows the answer to that yet.. >>

Well, lets see, some experts say that 20k spouse coins is way to many and will never be worth over melt. So I would predict that with a mintage of 100K or more, these coins will go to the moon pricewise. Just like the stock market, it all makes perfect sense to me.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

Well, lets see, some experts say that 20k spouse coins is way to many and will never be worth over melt. So I would predict that with a mintage of 100K or more, these coins will go to the moon pricewise. Just like the stock market, it all makes perfect sense to me.image >>

well let's see.. yesteday, the Dow dropped well over 450 points at the opening bell, closed the day about 100 points down, and closed today almsot 300 points up.. Gold was pushing $920/oz last week, then dropped down to $860/oz a couple days ago and is back up to $890/oz today.. it's taking daily swings that are more DollErs than an oz. lof Gold was worth in the 1960s.. so yeah, it all makes perfect sense..

the Jefferson non-spouse Spouse is the only one issued i've bought so far.. my evil insidious plan is to only buy the ones with the "classic" coin non-spouse Spouse designs on them, or the ones that i think will be wildly unpopular and have Mintages way below 20,000 each Unc. or Proof.. from trying to keep up with all this stuff, the Dolley Spouse has barely sold over 8,000 so far and it's been on sale for what, a couple months?.. so naturally if i don't buy one, it'll have a very low Mintage..

i keep asking people to give me the next winning lotto numbers.. maybe i should ask them to give me the losing numbers.. and i'll play those..
    ;; image

My sentiment as a NEW POSTER here.. Hi Ya'll !!!

I have watched and read a lot of posts here.. my thoughts.. Why do you have to believe you need to make money on a collection?

My idea is to buy below issue or pre sale pricing and am happy wit it! I buy what is provided in low numbers even if PCGS or NGC will not label or mention as so.. I noticed that big dealers can buy just about any designation they want with a large enough shipment so that, my friends, means little to me.

Historical reference has shown commemoratives rarely go for big money ,but, to me they are unique to our society and our way of life.

I buy what I like but am a enthusiastic buyer of new first issues and any coin directly linked to our national heritage( Bald Eagles). Yeah, I know most coins show something relating to heritage but remember I mention low pops too.

I just read about people complaining about the phone screwup.. I think it's great myself- first time ever I can get a order in without some dealer buying up the entire issue. I kept tabs on the phone system and the Mint is taking a new order evry 20 seconds they are open and that takes manpower. Kudos for the Mint employees. Their computer geeks need help though.. time is money guys.

Happy to be here and be sure I'll rant(post) again.

Cuz I like-

ONE FINE COIN
  • Welcome onefinecoin! image
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭
    image onefinecoin....I posted elsewhere that a possible "motive" for the down time was to level the playing field for all. But think likey some unforseen problems they are having.

• Welcomeimage

I, too, buy commemoratives along with other purchases. I love the hobby. I'm not out to want to make money doing this. To be honest not many people can truly say they make enough money off of coin purchases/sales to support themselves and their families with a decent standard of living. The rate of return over 10, 20, 30 years is just not there, with exceptions of the extremely rare coin collections. If some of my coins increase dramatically, well that's just fine. If not, the same.

CollectorMan
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image onefinecoin....I posted elsewhere that a possible "motive" for the down time was to level the playing field for all. But think likey some unforseen problems they are having. >>

you are giving those idiots way to much credit! It is down because the site sucks and has needed help for a long long time.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Just another thought- I wouldn't let MY employees sit on a phone redialing for the chance at ONE set.. or even 10 sets..
    Not economically feasible.

Government screwups? Yes, I call it their way of life.. too many bosses not enough worker bees.

One Fine Coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file