Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>60% Return!!!!!!!

Naysayers please stand up!!! image >>

i can't believe the number of page views.. over two thousand.. i don't think i've done more than ONE eBay auction in ten years where i got over two thousand unique page views.. (permit me to totally digress and indulge in thread rot)..

and that was back in 2002 when i sold a cherry 1956 T-Bird for some non-computer type rather rich friends.. parents of a High School classmate of mine, who also is lacking in the computer skills department.. her Parents were in their 80s, so they didn't drive it any more (those early T-Birds had power nothing.. no power steering, brakes, no a/c.. all those things were options.. so it took some muscle just to drive it.. but it had a kick-ass V8, no smog equipment at all, of course, and was a blast to drive and got a lot of stares..) .. it was about 95% original, with both tops and the Continental kit (housed spare tire on the rear bumper).. and the body was perfect and it ran perfectly.. i had driven it many times)..

the main problem is that the odo only had five digits and read 14000 miles.. they went through every shred of paperwork they had on the car to try to prove it was 14000 and not 114000 but couldn't come up with any absolute proof of that, so i couldn't honestly advertise it as only 14000 original miles.. i had to say something like "it might be but i can't document it).. if i could have proven it only had 14k and not 114k miles on it.. i could have gotten triple what i got for it.. if you've ever tried to piece together paperwork for something you've owned for decades and you have three houses.. well.. after months, they gave up..

they had been trying to sell it for years in local throwaway auto-selling rags, classified ads, and T-Bird owners' car club newsletters..

i told them let me try selling it for you on eBay Motors.. we were going for $25,000, i had to list it two or three times, but finally got them $22,500.00 for it, (they were satisfied with that).. and they paid all my listing and selling fees.. plus a nice commission of a couple grand..

the buyer was a Pharmacist in Texas and he stuck a Bank Cashiers check for $22,500.00 in a regular First class envelope and mailed it to them with one stamp on it.. then after the owners deposited it and it cleared and gave him the go-ahead, he hired a car carrier company to pick it up in Calif. and transport it back to Texas.. (about $650.00 for that)..

can you imagine paying that kind of money for a old car based purely on photographs and a (very well-researched) description?.. that takes guts, but he was happy with the car and said he was going to fully restore it to show-quality and enter it in car shows.. guess he has the time and the barrell full of money to do that.. but i digress..)..

anyway.. if i'm reading the bidding history on that Proof set corrently, this was just a three-day auction and he started it at $0.01.. that takes guts too.. (i sure didn't start that car at $0.01!)..

one of the auction pictures i used (the car parkied in front of the famous Thunderbird Country Club in palm springs.. we thought posing it in front of their sign would be a cool idea..

anyway, a long-winded way of saying that getting over 2000 counter hits on that coin auction is pretty remarkable..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Will PCGS grade the 3-coin set in any special way, i.e. FS or ?? >>

image No, nothing worthy of special recognition other than a fancy packaging which I feel is how the majority of those that purchase the three coin Proof set intend to keep them. >>

then the only "option" for flippers is to sell a another sealed brown box.... <sigh>

i just can see it now ...an empty box going for $150...that might be funny to try on eBay...

• << <i>

<< <i>

image No, nothing worthy of special recognition other than a fancy packaging which I feel is how the majority of those that purchase the three coin Proof set intend to keep them. >>

then the only "option" for flippers is to sell a another sealed brown box.... <sigh>

i just can see it now ...an empty box going for $150...that might be funny to try on eBay... >>

Yep the "rarity" will be the COA and original box that limits the "set" to 25,000. Not that I am complaining, if the prices hold up I will be getting my uncirc gold, Silver and clad for free! And throw in the free gold PCGS submission for the quarterly special, woo hoo!!!! I personally think that with the 100k limit on the gold coins, and 25k gauranteed to be proof, the uncirc gold could end up in the long run the true rarity, and that is the one I plan on holding.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I was on hold for a very short time as well, and got the clad half dollar, I thought it looked the best out of all of them. Does anybody think this set will be like the buffalos? like i heard somebody write earlier. I couldn't see spending 30 bucks on it, but I probably wasted $70 on rolls of 2007 sacagaweas to keep my complete set.
  • So if you get the set, is it better just to leave it and not get it grade? Or have PCGS grade it, then do you lose anything by them slabbing it? (From what I understand, if you send in the set for grading, PCGS will put it in new individual holders) or am I way off base?
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    27827XXX-
    3 proof $5, 3 unc $5
    5 proof $1, 5 unc $1
    0 halves- 0 3 box set
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • 278366XX
    1 3 coin set
    2 dollar proofs
    2 1/2 dollar proofs.....

My daughter and my 2 brothers each ordered the same for me...image
  • 278373** 2:24 PM PST 1/19/08

1 set

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

i just can see it now ...an empty box going for $150...that might be funny to try on eBay... >>

Yep the "rarity" will be the COA and original box that limits the "set" to 25,000. Not that I am complaining, if the prices hold up I will be getting my uncirc gold, Silver and clad for free! And throw in the free gold PCGS submission for the quarterly special, woo hoo!!!! I personally think that with the 100k limit on the gold coins, and 25k gauranteed to be proof, the uncirc gold could end up in the long run the true rarity, and that is the one I plan on holding. >>

based on previous commems, unless the uncirc mintage is under 10,000, you won't get rich on it.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    thats 35000 orders since the start.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Well I did it.

I ordered the 3 piece Proof set.

# 27837XXX

Joe
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I did it.

# 27837XXX

Joe >>

Do they have any more left now?????

• 3 pc set here. #27837XXX. Shipped in 4-6 weeks. The Mint rep. understood me. image
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
    Congradulations on getting your orders in, I doubt if there are many left.

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I did it.

# 27837XXX

Joe >>

Do they have any more left now?????

image >>

Not sure if any are left.
    Ship date is 2/3/8. I think everyone else was 1/30. maybe it is too late.

1. 2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET (EA7)
    Qty 1 @ $369.95 - Backordered 02/03/08.

Joe

• << <i>

based on previous commems, unless the uncirc mintage is under 10,000, you won't get rich on it. >>

Yes, not planning on getting rich, if I thought that I probably would have bought more than one image I still stand by my guess that of all the issues of the bald eagle commems, which looks to be a popular issue, the uncirc gold will be the smallest issue of the six...
  • InditonkaInditonka Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Just placed my order, waited on hold for 40 minutes.

1-Three-Coin Proof Set (EA7)
    1-Proof Silver Dollar (EA3)
    1-Uncirculated Silver Dollar (EA4)

Order#: 27837XXX
  • If anyone did the math, the pre-issue sale makes buying the 3 proof coins individually $25 cheaper than buying the 3 coin set. I can always buy a 3 coin holder on Ebay for $5.
    I like these coins. I think they are some of the best designs the mint has put out in a long time.

<< <i>If anyone did the math, the pre-issue sale makes buying the 3 proof coins individually $25 cheaper than buying the 3 coin set. I can always buy a 3 coin holder on Ebay for $5.
    I like these coins. I think they are some of the best designs the mint has put out in a long time. >>

Go back and review this thread.

$5 for the 3 coin display case???.....I don't think so!!!!

The 3 coin proof sets have already pre-sold on eBay for $600+

I agree......great designs on those bald eagle coins!!! image
  • People want them so they can have it graded as a 3 coin set. After that, they don't need the case. I don't plan on selling, so it's more practical to save my change, and wait for someone or some-flipper to get rid of their unwanted empty case. From what I see, there is nothing special about it.

• << <i>If anyone did the math, the pre-issue sale makes buying the 3 proof coins individually $25 cheaper than buying the 3 coin set. I can always buy a 3 coin holder on Ebay for $5.
    I like these coins. I think they are some of the best designs the mint has put out in a long time. >>

<< <i>People want them so they can have it graded as a 3 coin set. After that, they don't need the case. I don't plan on selling, so it's more practical to save my change, and wait for someone or some-flipper to get rid of their unwanted empty case. From what I see, there is nothing special about it. >>

Ok, not picking on you, but what you are not taking into account, is that there are only 25,000 COA's, this has nothing to do with the coin itself, and goldBully is correct, the money, at least in flipping the orignal purchase, isnt in having them graded as a 3 coin set, its the fact that only 25,000 COA's and original boxes are being issues. That is where the limited edition comes in, and where the "SOLD OUT AT THE MINT" will be an issue on ebay to command a premium. Your icon cracks me up, but I have to say O TAY BUTT WHEAT..... if you actually read this thread, you don't have to agree, but you will not be finding this box and COA for 5 dollars, and if you didn't buy a set of 3 proofs or don't before they sell out, you won't be doubling (or more) your money on this issue. We could all be wrong. No one is buying the set to have it graded, it is worth more sold as an original set from the mint (some people may not be smart enough to realize that, but then again, its not sold out yet and people are already paying double the issue price on ebay, when they could call the mint themselves.) Hope that helps, and hope you aren't waiting to long for someone to sell you an empty case image
    I was just thinking.

What if PCGS grades these and designates them as "Bald Eagle 3 Coin Set" requiring that the set be sent in the sealed Mint box? This would make the 5-600 per set a bargain.

That would eliminate the need for the Mint packaging and increase the # of coins graded.

I think that would increase the sealed set to 3 X issue price and make a 70 set HUGE.

Rookie Joe

Maybe I should order another? image
    it's more practical to save my change, and wait for someone or some-flipper to get rid of their unwanted empty case. From what I see, there is nothing special about it.

Dear Mr. James Brown(Mr. Please Please himself) aka holadude.......................

Check out some of the current 3 coin proof sets up for auction on eBay...............It looks like these people are willing to pay more than $5 for their cases. image

eBay1

eBay2

eBay3

eBay4

eBay5

eBay6

• << <i>I was just thinking.

What if PCGS grades these and designates them as "Bald Eagle 3 Coin Set" requiring that the set be sent in the sealed Mint box? This would make the 5-600 per set a bargain.

That would eliminate the need for the Mint packaging and increase the # of coins graded.

I think that would increase the sealed set to 3 X issue price and make a 70 set HUGE.

Rookie Joe

Maybe I should order another? image >>

I doubt PCGS would do that since other than the packaging, there should be no difference with the coins from the other sets. With the anniversary sets at least you had a unique coin which was only offered with the set.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

>>

I doubt PCGS would do that since other than the packaging, there should be no difference with the coins from the other sets. With the anniversary sets at least you had a unique coin which was only offered with the set. >>

That was my first thought. The only reason I could think of to differentiate the coins was the uniquness of the 25,000 set quantity. It probably is a "shallow" reason.

I was going to wait to buy a set but with all the talk of a possible sell-out I couldn't wait.

Joe

• << <i> >>

I doubt PCGS would do that since other than the packaging, there should be no difference with the coins from the other sets. With the anniversary sets at least you had a unique coin which was only offered with the set. >>

That was my first thought. The only reason I could think of to differentiate the coins was the uniquness of the 25,000 set quantity. It probably is a "shallow" reason.

I was going to wait to buy a set but with all the talk of a possible sell-out I couldn't wait.

Joe >>

Well the Buffalo two coin set which was limited to 50,000 does better than the individual coins so I think these sets will as well. Perhaps if you were to buy individual coins an then put together a perfect three coin graded set with the box it it would do good since the chances of all three coins grading a 70 are probably not very good.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    It is never wise to assume that PCGS will or wont

do something. They constantly evaluate the product

of the Mint and do not usually fail to see a business

opportunity.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • FYI, just ordered my first 'Three coin proof set', I was on hold for 20 minutes.
    The CS mentioned that they were surprised by the overwhelming number of orders for this set.
    He also mentioned that it may get sold out soon. Anyway 'three coin proof set' is backordered due to packaging and 4-6 weeks waiting.
    Order# 27837xxx at 01/19/2008 22:52 CST
    -CMAN
  • Wouldn't you think that PCGS would have announced by now if they intended to give a special designation to

the three coin set? I would hate to get mine from the mint, open the box, then find out that they had finally

decided to grant a special designation.... but for sealed mint boxes only image Now that would be cruel!

....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't you think that PCGS would have announced by now if they intended to give a special designation to

the three coin set? I would hate to get mine from the mint, open the box, then find out that they had finally

decided to grant a special designation.... but for sealed mint boxes only image Now that would be cruel! >>

How about ATS ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Well the Buffalo two coin set which was limited to 50,000 does better than the individual coins so I think these sets will as well.

In the aftermarket, most mult-coin modern commemorative sets Bid at a discount to the sum of the individual coin Bids. The Buffalo two coin set currently Bids at $335 which is the sum of the Bid for the Unc ($170) and the Proof ($180). Rarely does the modern commemorative after market place a premium on packaging options. I don't see anything about the bald eagles that would change that trend.

If Collector A had bought all of the multi-coin commem packages offered by the Mint since 1983, his collection, at Bid, would be worth $40,861. If Collector B bought the exact same coins but in individual packaging, her collection, at Bid, would be worth $47,016.75.

If the bald eagle 3-coin proof set sells out at 25,000 pieces (along with whatever singles sell) then the most valuable coin in this set (the gold coin) will shortly afterward in the aftermarket be essentially a bullion coin.

Here are some numbers for any one interested in the folly of modern commem package options (First Number is Set Bid, second number is sum of Singles Bid and third number is the set premium (discount in most cases) bolded rows are ones currently carrying a set premium):

1983 $, 1984 $, $5 BU $435.00 $452.00 -$17.00
    1983 $, 1984 $, $5 PR $435.00 $452.00 -$17.00
    1983 PDS BU $ $34.00 $36.00 -$2.00
    1983-4 83 $, 84 $, 84W $5 BU, PR $865.00 $904.00 -$39.00
    1983-S, 1984-S Dollars PR $18.00 $24.00 -$6.00
    1984 PDS BU $ $34.00 $36.00 -$2.00
    1986 SOL 50c, $ MS $14.00 $16.50 -$2.50
    1986 SOL 50c, $ PR $14.00 $16.50 -$2.50
    1986 SOL 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $440.00 $459.00 -$19.00
    1986 SOL 50c, $, $5 MS $222.00 $229.50 -$7.50
    1986 SOL 50c, $, $5 PR $222.00 $229.50 -$7.50
    1987 Const $, $5 BU, PR $435.00 $450.00 -$15.00
    1987 Const $, $5 MS $220.00 $225.00 -$5.00
    1987 Const $, $5 PR $220.00 $225.00 -$5.00
    1988 Olympic $, $5 BU, PR $435.00 $450.00 -$15.00
    1988 Olympic $, $5 MS $220.00 $225.00 -$5.00
    1988 Olympic $, $5 PR $220.00 $225.00 -$5.00
    1989 Congress 50c, $ MS $16.00 $19.25 -$3.25
    1989 Congress 50c, $ PR $17.00 $20.00 -$3.00
    1989 Congress 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $440.00 $465.25 -$25.25
    1989 Congress 50c, $, $5 MS $222.00 $232.25 -$10.25
    1989 Congress 50c, $, $5 PR $222.00 $233.00 -$11.00
    1991 Mt Rush 50c, $ MS $36.00 $41.00 -$5.00
    1991 Mt Rush 50c, $ PR $36.00 $37.00 -$1.00
    1991 Mt Rush 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $440.00 $526.00 -$86.00
    1991 Mt Rush 50c, $, $5 MS $250.00 $276.00 -$26.00
    1991 Mt Rush 50c, $, $5 PR $222.00 $250.00 -$28.00
    1992 Columb 50c, $ MS $28.00 $31.00 -$3.00
    1992 Columb 50c, $ PR $32.00 $34.00 -$2.00
    1992 Columb 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $410.00 $539.00 -$129.00
    1992 Columb 50c, $, $5 MS $265.00 $291.00 -$26.00
    1992 Columb 50c, $, $5 PR $225.00 $248.00 -$23.00
    1992 Olympic 50c, $ MS $22.00 $24.50 -$2.50
    1992 Olympic 50c, $ PR $22.00 $25.50 -$3.50
    1992 Olympic 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $440.00 $498.00 -$58.00
    1992 Olympic 50c, $, $5 MS $235.00 $259.50 -$24.50
    1992 Olympic 50c, $, $5 PR $222.00 $238.50 -$16.50
    1993 BoR 50c, $ MS $23.00 $30.00 -$7.00
    1993 BoR 50c, $ PR $23.00 $28.50 -$5.50
    1993 BoR 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $450.00 $502.50 -$52.50
    1993 BoR 50c, $, $5 MS $250.00 $260.00 -$10.00
    1993 BoR 50c, $, $5 PR $225.00 $242.50 -$17.50
    1993 WWII 50c, $ MS $40.00 $46.00 -$6.00
    1993 WWII 50c, $ PR $44.00 $52.00 -$8.00
    1993 WWII 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $550.00 $658.00 -$108.00
    1993 WWII 50c, $, $5 MS $280.00 $346.00 -$66.00
    1993 WWII 50c, $, $5 PR $275.00 $312.00 -$37.00
    1994 Veterans MS $140.00 $164.00 -$24.00
    1994 Veterans PR $85.00 $115.00 -$30.00
    1994 Wld Cup 50c, $ MS $25.00 $26.25 -$1.25
    1994 Wld Cup 50c, $ PR $30.00 $28.50 $1.50
    1994 Wld Cup 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $450.00 $498.75 -$48.75
    1994 Wld Cup 50c, $, $5 MS $240.00 $256.25 -$16.25
    1994 Wld Cup 50c, $, $5 PR $225.00 $242.50 -$17.50
    1995 Bsbl 50c, Cyc $, T&F $, Stad $5 BU $1000.00 $1206.50 -$206.50
    1995 Bsbl 50c, Cyc $, T&F $, Stad $5 PR $430.00 $541.00 -$111.00
    1995 Bskt 50c, Gym $, BR $, Torch $5 BU $600.00 $793.50 -$193.50
    1995 Bskt 50c, Gym $, BR $, Torch $5 PR $362.00 $406.50 -$44.50
    1995 Civ War 50c, $ MS $70.00 $89.00 -$19.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $ PR $80.00 $91.00 -$11.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $1000.00 $1040.00 -$40.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 MS $670.00 $739.00 -$69.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 PR $370.00 $446.00 -$76.00
    1995 Gym $, Bld Run $ PR $80.00 $93.00 -$13.00
    1995 T&F $, Cycle $ PR $77.00 $77.00 $0.00
    1995-6 Oly 16 pc $ BU & PR $1800.00 $1795.00 $5.00
    1995-6 Oly 16 pc PR 50c, $, $5 $1685.00 $2262.50 -$577.50
    1995-6 Oly 32 pc BU & PR $5535.00 $7277.50 -$1742.50
    1995-6 Oly 8 pc $ PR $400.00 $373.00 $27.00
    1995-96 Four piece PR 50c $115.00 $134.50 -$19.50
    1996 Row $, High Jmp $ PR $100.00 $99.00 $1.00
    1996 Smith $, $5 BU, PR $1550.00 $1615.00 -$65.00
    1996 Smith $, $5 PR $505.00 $525.00 -$20.00
    1996 Soc 50c, Row $, HJ $, Cauld $5 BU $1200.00 $1515.00 -$315.00
    1996 Soc 50c, Row $, HJ $, Cauld $5 PR $545.00 $659.00 -$1140
    1996 Swim 50c, WC $, Ten $, Flag $5 BU $1125.00 $1500.00 -$375.00
    1996 Swim 50c, WC $, Ten $, Flag $5 PR $570.00 $656.00 -$86.00
    1996 Wheel $, Tennis $ PR $130.00 $104.00 $26.00
    1997 FDR BU $5, PR $5 $1050.00 $1050.00 $0.00
    1997 Robinson $, $5 BU, PR $4700.00 $5210.00 -$510.00
    1997 Robinson $, $5 PR $665.00 $730.00 -$65.00
    1998 Black Pat BU $, PR $ $150.00 $212.00 -$62.00
    1998 RFK BU $, PR $ $55.00 $59.00 -$4.00
    1999 Madison BU $, PR $ $62.00 $73.00 -$11.00
    1999 Wash BU $5, PR $5 $650.00 $725.00 -$75.00
    1999 Yellow BU $, PR $ $70.00 $88.00 -$18.00
    2001 Buffalo BU $, PR $ $335.00 $355.00 -$20.00
    2001 CVC 50c, $, $5 PR $325.00 $361.25 -$36.25
    2002 Olympic $, $5 PR $360.00 $443.00 -$83.00
    2002 SLC $1, $5 BU, PR $800.00 $920.00 -$120.00

WH
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't you think that PCGS would have announced by now if they intended to give a special designation to

decided to grant a special designation.... but for sealed mint boxes only image Now that would be cruel! >>

Well, as some have said before, they haven't even shipped yet so no notice is not untimely. I think if they simply put 3 bald Eagle Proof Set on the label they would pull in lots, and it would be a fair description...but I guess any label even a plain one would be considered special...
  • I don't think PCGS will special label the 3 coin set. There is nothing new or unique with a 3 coin commemorative set. If they do special label them then why wouldn't they do the same for previous 3 coin sets (6 coin sets, 16 & 32 coin olympic sets)? I am sure a few still exist (unopened). I just don't see anything special from PCGS for these.

I do think these will increase in value and are a good buy. Pretty coins commemorating a good subject.

Bring on the $50 high relief gold commemorative....
  • Thank you for your kind words. I've been very interested in this Forum and find extrememly interested information. I've been coin collecting for only 1 year now.
    NewToCOllecting
  • 1. 2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET (EA7)
    Qty 1 @ $369.95 - Backordered 02/04/08.

Order #: 2783807x - 1 Order date: 1/20/08

I did it too! I said I wasn't going to, but I am weak! image

<< <i>1. 2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET (EA7)
    Qty 1 @ $369.95 - Backordered 02/04/08.

Order #: 2783807x - 1 Order date: 1/20/08

I did it too! I said I wasn't going to, but I am weak! image >>

"One day at a time." image

Coinaholics Anonymous
  • Just Ordered this Morning - Wait Time was 3 minutes

Three-Coin Set - Bald Eagle, Order Number was 278381xx

Info on Web Site - She indicated another 2-3 days before it will be up
    NewToCOllecting
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Well the Buffalo two coin set which was limited to 50,000 does better than the individual coins so I think these sets will as well.

In the aftermarket, most mult-coin modern commemorative sets Bid at a discount to the sum of the individual coin Bids. The Buffalo two coin set currently Bids at $335 which is the sum of the Bid for the Unc ($170) and the Proof ($180). Rarely does the modern commemorative after market place a premium on packaging options. I don't see anything about the bald eagles that would change that trend.

If Collector A had bought all of the multi-coin commem packages offered by the Mint since 1983, his collection, at Bid, would be worth $40,861. If Collector B bought the exact same coins but in individual packaging, her collection, at Bid, would be worth $47,016.75.

If the bald eagle 3-coin proof set sells out at 25,000 pieces (along with whatever singles sell) then the most valuable coin in this set (the gold coin) will shortly afterward in the aftermarket be essentially a bullion coin.

Here are some numbers for any one interested in the folly of modern commem package options (First Number is Set Bid, second number is sum of Singles Bid and third number is the set premium (discount in most cases) bolded rows are ones currently carrying a set premium):

1995 Civ War 50c, $ MS $70.00 $89.00 -$19.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $ PR $80.00 $91.00 -$11.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 BU, PR $1000.00 $1040.00 -$40.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 MS $670.00 $739.00 -$69.00
    1995 Civ War 50c, $, $5 PR $370.00 $446.00 -$76.00

WH >>

Hi..

this is interesting stuff, but in the case of the 1995 Civil War packaging options, i believe you left out two of them.. the Proof were also issued in a snazzy reproduction of a circa-Civil War "Union case" option.. Proofs only, a two-coin (50c and $1) version, and a three coin (50c, $1, and $5 Gold) version..

i have been trying to get final sales numbers for the Union case versions of the two and three coin 1995 Civil War Proof coins for many years.. the results are that no one seems to have those numbers.. the Mint apparently never published final sales figures on the Union Case packaging otions (only the Proof coins had this packaging options, the Uncs. didn't.. same situation as the new Bald Eagles.. there is no there Unc. three-coin set option.. go figure)..

anyway, as a well-known dealer, you can probably tap into resources that i can't, but i've contacted MANY "big name" dealers and Numismatic journalists and NO ONE has any final sales numbers for these thirteen year-old Union case sets.. yet, if you watch their sales on eBay, they bring a VERY healthy premium over both the regular clamshell-cased version of the same tw or three Proof coins, and the individual un-slabbed coins..

i'm sure you've seen the Union case packaging.. it's one of the coolest cases the Mint ever produced for modern Commems, in my opinion.. although it's "just plastic", the multi-page fold-out combination COA and historical brochure it comes with is beautifully done, and the plastic reproduction of a Civil War era Gold coin on the outside of the ornately-embossed case is also a nice touch..

do YOU have any figures on how many of the two and three-coin Union cases were sold? if you do, i'd sure like to see'em.. but if the Mint never published a final sales figure for ALL the various options of the 1995 Civil War coins, then i guess no one has the numbers on the two Union case options.. and maybe never will.. but from all the research i've done over the years, those Union case options were a tiny fraction of the total sales of the 1995 Civil War Commemoratives.. since the same Proof coins were sold in the regular clamshell cases at the same time as both two and three-coin sets. maybe if you save all of the Mint's mail-out brochures, and when they mailed those out back in 1995 to their customers, that mail order brochure SAID how many Union Case sets were going to be available.. the Mint didn't even HAVE Web ordering back in 1995 (can't remember exactly what year they started it)..

so once in a while the Mint comes up with a really spectacular packaging option in limited numbers, and it DOES bring a very healthy premium, even many years later..

since not one single person actually has the Bald Eagle three-coin set in his or her hands yet, and the Mint only supplies a tiny picture of it, both in the mail-out brochure and on their Web site.. we simply don't know if there's anything special about it, other than they're only making 25,000 of them and for some unknown reason, limiting their sales to one per "household" for some other unknown reason, that set has no "pre-release" price which later increases to a "regular" price, like all the other packaging options for this Commemorative have.. why would that be?..

many other folks have piped in as to why they decided to buy this set, and NOT have the coins in it slabbed.. and eBay pre-sales of this set have been realizing some rather remarkable prices.. whether it's silly or not, whether people are throwing money away or not, it's still a fact, and when this set sells out (which i think is a sure bet as soon as the Mint's Web site comes back up).. the prices might go even higher when the magic "Sold out!" words are used in eBay auctions..

Thanks
    Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Hi Harv,

The Mint probably did not track the Union packaging separately as I've never seen separate numbers for them. I regularly buy and sell both the two piece and the three piece and do so at the same price as the regular packaging. I had one of each in my case at FUN and while most of the modern commem sets with gold sold at the show, the union packaging sets came back with me. I'm surprised to hear they bring a premium on eBay and may try listing them there. The rest of the modern commem market pays them no extra attention and in fact may discount them because the packaging doesn't match the rest of their collections.

WH
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

Joe >>

Well the Buffalo two coin set which was limited to 50,000 does better than the individual coins so I think these sets will as well. Perhaps if you were to buy individual coins an then put together a perfect three coin graded set with the box it it would do good since the chances of all three coins grading a 70 are probably not very good. >>

i agree with you FLBH, i doubt PCGS or NGC for that matter would have a special label for a "stinkin" box set , maybe the hype is all in the possibility though...or maybe it IS all about the "stinkin" box? image
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Never under estimate the public.

Look at the Legacy set, 2007 selling for a premium above the issue price, not to mention above the price of all the individual coin options.

First strikes sell for more.

Look at the 2006 1oz Gold regular proof, with 20th Anniv. label and without the label two different prices, same coin.

People like the labels and they like the sets. The Mint reconginized this, they are charging more for the set, then what each coin cost by its self. They figured it out.

• this is what i found on the other boards, this person asked ngc for special label for the bald eagle coins-

The question is will NGC be doing any kind of special packaging for the 3 coin set, meaning we can not open the box we get from the mint if we want the set designation.....

ngc answers--

Pam Kesten
    Marketing Coordinator

Dear MorganMan,

We will not be designating a "special" label for the Bald Eagle Sets and they will receive the regular NGC label. So in this case you do not have to submit the coins in the sealed shipping box from the mint.

<< <i>this is what i found on the other boards, this person asked ngc for special label for the bald eagle coins-

The question is will NGC be doing any kind of special packaging for the 3 coin set, meaning we can not open the box we get from the mint if we want the set designation.....

ngc answers--

Pam Kesten
    Marketing Coordinator

Dear MorganMan,

We will not be designating a "special" label for the Bald Eagle Sets and they will receive the regular NGC label. So in this case you do not have to submit the coins in the sealed shipping box from the mint. >>

Linky
    If NGC isn't doing maybe PCGS will.

• << <i>If NGC isn't doing maybe PCGS will. >>

I certainly hope not.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • I will leave mine sealed in the box for a while!
    I intend to leave mine sealed in the box until

I hear from the MAN.
    Camelotimage
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>I intend to leave mine sealed in the box until

I hear from the MAN. >>

One Question Bear, Did you order more than Just the set?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Thats to bad, I was hoping either PCGS or NGC would do something special. I guess mine will stay sealed until who knows when.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
    Yes, I also ordered each of the three

coins by themselves. I will have to resist the

urge to view them for a while. I would say that

the chance of PCGS labeling the three coins as a set

are about 50/50. But what the heck do I know, I am

just an old bear. Grumpy too , at times.image
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment