Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• << <i>Holy carp!! Thats a lot of coin. Does your crystal ball foresee a large profit potential on this standard commemorative issue >>

look at the 01 silver buffalo.
    another iconic animal in american history.
    same mintage.
    checked out the prices on them lately?

me thinks this one is a winner.

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Just got in.

About 5 - 10 redials. 5 - 10 minute wait.

No problem.

27810xxx - looks like we busted through 10,000.

just got the 3 coin set. I figure the website will be back soon and I can order the rest, at about 10,000 orders I don't think there is a risk of ALL the products selling out.

Besides, I like to place multiple small orders instead of one big one. Incase I get cold feet, I can cancel the extra's.

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Just got in.

About 5 - 10 redials. 5 - 10 minute wait.

No problem.

27810xxx - looks like we busted through 10,000.

just got the 3 coin set. I figure the website will be back soon and I can order the rest, at about 10,000 orders I don't think there is a risk of ALL the products selling out.

Besides, I like to place multiple small orders instead of one big one. Incase I get cold feet, I can cancel the extra's. >>

hmm.. if there's any chance in Hell of the Silver DollEr turning into a repeat of the Buffalo Dollar.. i may just grab a few when the Web site ordering comes back up.. oh well, i didn't really want to buy any food for the next couple of months anyway image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm.. if there's any chance in Hell of the Silver DollEr turning into a repeat of the Buffalo Dollar.. i may just grab a few when the Web site ordering comes back up.. oh well, i didn't really want to buy any food for the next couple of months anyway

Now I'm thinking about a few more silver dollars, dammit!!!

Loved the food for coins analogy....image

• << <i>In the meantime, someone needs to teach them how to upgrade phone systems and websites, especially prior to new releases. Are they really that stupid - or do they do it on purpose every time.... >>

The upgrade you speak of would have likely affected some release. Is it really that big of a deal to wait a few days? Seriously.

<< <i>I guess for the largest BM, they are the rudest of all. (not the employees, but the organization as a whole.)

My order no.
    27808xxx
    &
    27809xxx

I decided to place 2 orders vs. one, to see if one might ship before the other. >>

I see it had no affect on you giving them your money, twice, in fact.
  • << i got in at 2.34 yesterday #27803xxx i ordered-
    100 silver proof
    100 clad proof
    1-proof gold
    1-unc gold
    1-3 coin set

will they let me order any more gold?
    i think i hit the limit on the silver and clad, i ordered for my sisters, not all for me. >>

i got this yesterday, called the mint today with 1 phone call and got 1 more each of the gold. this will be bigger than the 2001 buffalo
  • rex55rex55 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Finally got thru. All I had to do was redial for 15 minutes straight. Got on hold. Five minutes later, listening to some great music, a live operator took my order. my order number: 27810XXX
  • Started Today at 8:30 got through at 8:45.

Order# 27809###
    New be nice!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Decided to order 10 more proof & 10 more uncirculated silvers. I just had them add it to my order #27801xxx
  • So, if it took somewhere around 14-16 hours to get 10,000 orders, and one assumes most of these probably included one of the 3 coin sets, this set may sell out before the website comes back up, potentially some time Friday.... I for one am glad I got an order in, but we will see what they end up going for on ebay. At least one sold for 699 already on ebay, with several more listed at that price, one bid just over 400 dollars without a buy it now( and over two days to go), one listed at 599 buy-it now, and one listed at 769 BIN. Any guesses when (if?) it sells out what the prices will be? I also purchased the uncircs (one of each) which I will be keeping, I will probably send the gold in as the quarterly special, but depending on the price of the 3 coin sets, that one may hit the bay....
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • 27 min ON HOLD and one of the "nicest" Operators I have ever spoken to took my order.

I have a feeling that it WASN'T the U S Mint Customer Service I was speaking to.

Anyway Order No. 278111xxx.

1 - 3 Coin Proof Set
    3 - UNC Silver $1

Email Confirmation says both are "Backordered 01-31-08"
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Finally, after two days, I have broken through.

1/16/07 3:17 E.T #27812XXX

One (1) three coin set, bald eagles

One (1) each of the Gold $5, Dollar and Half
    in proof state.

Now I can go back to hibernating.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

It took everything I could muster to not order. I will see how the after market is for discounts.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I wouldn't wait. It sounds like people WANT that $25 box.

<< <i>I wouldn't wait. It sounds like people WANT that $25 box. >>

funny, isn't it.. everyone was poo-pooing the three coin set because "you eeeeeeeeediot! you're paying $25.00 extra just for a fancy case!".. then suddenly the group mind comes to the realization that hey.. ya can't order on the Web, the phone lines are jammed.. they're only making 25,000 of those sets, the household limit is ONE.. and the three individual coins in it will actually cost five bucks MORE than the three-coin set costs.. ALL the other options (i think) have a pre-release price that lasts a month.. and then a HIGHER regular price (as of 2/14/2008) EXCEPT the three coin set.. then miraculously, one of them pre-sells on eBay for seven hundred freakin' clams, and the poo-pooing goes away and everyone starts ordering the three coin set they were poo-pooing the day before.. absolutely hilarious..

i don't know if anyone else has considered this but it came to me out of the blue last night..

ponder if you will and the question i want answered is.. is the clamshell case for the three-coin set embossed or labelled in some way as to the coins it contains?.. or is it totally plain inside and out.. in other words.. the Mint has issued three-coin sets in the past consisting of a half, a DollEr, and a $5 Gold.. for example, i think the Crapitol Visitors Center had a similar packaging option.. so did the 1995 Civil War coins and the 1991 Mount Rushmore coins.. and probably a few other Modern Commemorative issues.. is the Bald Eagle's there-coin case IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY to those older ones?.. or is it a different color / size / shape / lining / artwork?..

because if it's exactly precisely the same as an older one, a devious person could buy a truckload of the individual Proofs now, then locate a truckload of the older three-coin sets' cases, shove the new coins into the old cases and sell them as one of the 25,000 Bald Eagle three-coin sets.. eh?.. hmm.. but then they wouldn't have the COA that comes wih the new three-coin set.. would they.. so if the cases were identical, they'd have to try to foist it off without the COA..

however.. if the Mint has changed the three-coin set clamshell over the years (different colors, sizes, linings, labelling, and so on).. then a devious person couldn't get away with that.. if ya follow that logic..

so i HOPE there is some kind of labelling on this three-coin set's casework, either on the outside or the inside so that no one can pull a trick like that.. otherwise we is gonna have a problem on the after-market.. but perhaps i answered my own question when i just realized that each individual packaging option is gonna come with its own DIFFERENT COA, and so even if the Bald Eagle three-coin case is identical in every way to an older one.. without that COA, which will give the specs on all three coins.. no one will be able to fake one of the 25,000 sets..

Thanks
    Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    The rush for the three coin set poses some interesting possibilities.

1. PCGS might decide on a special labeling on sealed sets
    thus, a created rarity.

2. It is always possible that the Mint has included some thing different
    on the 3 coin sets to differentiate them from the regular run. This may not
    be announced till later to create a rarity and increase sales of future sets
    by the Mint.

3. We may all be lemmings and are rushing over the edge of the cliff because
    the lemming in front of us just leaped off the cliff. Collectors are the kwaziest
    people.image
    Camelotimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>0000

It took everything I could muster to not order. I will see how the after market is for discounts. >>

Resist temptation and it will flee ! That's my motto, too.
    I can't help it though... Them little chickies are so cute image
  • #3 in my opinion.
    These labeling and box option gimmicks are getting under my skin!
    Audentes fortuna juvat
    It's all about marketing folks,

Its all about marketing.image
    Camelotimage
    Harv and Bear,

You both raise good points about the 3 coin Proof Baldie Set.....and some damn funny ones I might add.

Something the naysayers did not pickup on, is that $369 for a strictly limited set is very appealling to the masses.

The 30k limit on the 10th Anniversary Plats at $1995 per set not so appealling to the masses.

By the time the Mint decides to change the Plat set limit to a higher number, the Baldie 3 coiner will be history.

There will be no raising the limit on the Baldies because they will be poof!!!

Anyone else?

• << <i>27 min ON HOLD and one of the "nicest" Operators I have ever spoken to took my order.

I have a feeling that it WASN'T the U S Mint Customer Service I was speaking to.

Anyway Order No. 278111xxx.

1 - 3 Coin Proof Set
    3 - UNC Silver $1

Email Confirmation says both are "Backordered 01-31-08" >>

Ive been trying for two days now and get an answering machine saying to try back later and then it goes to a busy signal after about a minute and then goes dead - where does this ON HOLD thing come into play - seems you call and nothing happens - PLEASE SOMEONE ADVISE WHAT THE H**L IS GOING ON!!!!!
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • lot of detail in that clad proof, great coin -- hats off to ( goldbully ) for the great pictures!! thanks
  • I venture a guess that those "chickies" will be very popular.

"First Chick Coins" image
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    JMac, , I dunno what the problem is, maybe try calling with a cell phone, for all my jammed orders cell phones worked, landlines not so good.Don't know why..let us know, good luck...
    Apparently, the Mint phone system can only handle

so many on hold called./ When the system reaches

the limit you get the call back later spiel. Keep trying

until you can break in to the on hold system.
    Camelotimage
  • I got through yesterday about an hour after they went onsale buy hanging up as soon as the recorded message saying "please try again" comes on and immediately hit redial until you finally get the hold music. Definitely takes patience and commitment!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>

<< <i>Holy carp!! Thats a lot of coin. Does your crystal ball foresee a large profit potential on this standard commemorative issue >>

look at the 01 silver buffalo.
    another iconic animal in american history.
    same mintage.
    checked out the prices on them lately?

me thinks this one is a winner. >>

the 01 silver buffalo may be an iconic animal but that coin release is a completely different species than this eagle. It was a regurgitated classic design that not only coin collectors wanted but a large portion also went to the jewelry industry for belt buckes and other things.

I think you will be disappointed with this issue and have to carry a lot of this inventory that will sell at issue price or less.

The true test is if this entire silver dollar mintage sells out in 8 days like the buffaloes did. If not you may want to consider canceling your orders.

Heck that isn't even a true test. Look at the Marine dollars. They sold out in a record time like a couple of weeks. They can be found all day long at around issue price, sometimes less.

This issue will NOT be bigger than Fraser's classic indian head/buffalo nickel design. The single dollars won't even sell out. The three coin set will and you will be able to make some money on that.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • FINALLY!!!!! got through after a 2 days of calling - once I got on, it took about 10 minutes and another 5 minutes to order - easy process once in the system - nice lady took my order ORDER # - 27814XXX - backordered - 2-4 weeks before shipping.
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    Got my order in, 27814XXX

• << <i>the 01 silver buffalo may be an iconic animal but that coin release is a completely different species than this eagle. It was a regurgitated classic design that not only coin collectors wanted but a large portion also went to the jewelry industry for belt buckes and other things.

I think you will be disappointed with this issue and have to carry a lot of this inventory that will sell at issue price or less.

The true test is if this entire silver dollar mintage sells out in 8 days like the buffaloes did. If not you may want to consider canceling your orders. >>

your 8 days theory doesn't count if they don't get the website back up and running.

these are nice looking coins. i am making the unc 1/2 my new pocket peice.

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I really don't have to get the Bald Eagle now. I just thought I would wait unit the Eagles went on sale on the 15th and order the Sac 2007-D roll to save on shipping (I was waiting for the circ rolls but that got nixed). Now looks like I'll won't be getting these from the mint at all as the 2008 Sacs go on sale tomorrow.image
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields

<< <i>lot of detail in that clad proof, great coin -- hats off to ( goldbully ) for the great pictures!! thanks >>

and a day or two ago.. plenty of people on here were calling the chickie coin ugly.. i never thought it was ugly and said so.. it has a TON of detail on it.. i think it's one of the MOST interesting Commemoratives in a very long time and it sure beats the beejeezus out of just about EVERY State Quarter design.. no lame outlines, no dead Presidents.. no huge expanses of flat fields.. i think it's a VERY cool design.. damn.. now i'm half talking myself into buying some singles of the Half and the DollEr.. i just don't know where these things are gonna go.. on the one talon, i don't want to unload the bank account and end up with a bunch of modern-day 1982 George Washington halves that are worth half issue price after a while.. on the other claw, i don't want to miss out on a potential Buffalo DollEr V2.0 either.. this is exactly the situation where a crystal ball would come in real handy..

hey did anyone get the latest CW and check out the HUGE chart of recently-passed legislation listing future Commemoratives and Medals?.. they have some really off-the-wall stuff coming up in the next couple of years.. someone more ambitious than me can type them all in if they want to.. but 50nd anniversary of NASA / JPL later this year.. and that one should really take off ::coff sputter:: .. and another one to commemorate the Model-T Ford!.. plus plenty more.. and my jaw hit the floor when i scanned down the list and took a look at the medals they're going to make, amongst which are Arnold Palmer and, hold onto your coins.. Jerry Lewis!.. (i still can't believe they've never passed a bill to put Walt Disney on a Commemorative, or even a Medal.. (the Disneyana collectors would create a one minute sell-out if they did..) .. but they'll do Jerry Lewis?.. ain't that a kick in the pants..) ..

i open each issue of CW and look at Gateway Coins' huge double-page spread of all the stuff the Canadian Mint spews out.. aye carrumba, if yer a Canadian and want to buy every new issue, ya better have 12 jobs!.. the US Mint seems to be heading in the same direction..

<< <i>

<< <i>lot of detail in that clad proof, great coin -- hats off to ( goldbully ) for the great pictures!! thanks >>

and a day or two ago.. plenty of people on here were calling the chickie coin ugly.. i never thought it was ugly and said so.. it has a TON of detail on it.. i think it's one of the MOST interesting Commemoratives in a very long time and it sure beats the beejeezus out of just about EVERY State Quarter design.. no lame outlines, no dead Presidents.. no huge expanses of flat fields.. i think it's a VERY cool design.. damn.. now i'm half talking myself into buying some singles of the Half and the DollEr.. i just don't know where these things are gonna go.. on the one talon, i don't want to unload the bank account and end up with a bunch of modern-day 1982 George Washington halves that are worth half issue price after a while.. on the other claw, i don't want to miss out on a potential Buffalo DollEr V2.0 either.. this is exactly the situation where a crystal ball would come in real handy..

hey did anyone get the latest CW and check out the HUGE chart of recently-passed legislation listing future Commemoratives and Medals?.. they have some really off-the-wall stuff coming up in the next couple of years.. someone more ambitious than me can type them all in if they want to.. but 50nd anniversary of NASA / JPL later this year.. and that one should really take off ::coff sputter:: .. and another one to commemorate the Model-T Ford!.. plus plenty more.. and my jaw hit the floor when i scanned down the list and took a look at the medals they're going to make, amongst which are Arnold Palmer and, hold onto your coins.. Jerry Lewis!.. (i still can't believe they've never passed a bill to put Walt Disney on a Commemorative, or even a Medal.. (the Disneyana collectors would create a one minute sell-out if they did..) .. but they'll do Jerry Lewis?.. ain't that a kick in the pants..) ..

i open each issue of CW and look at Gateway Coins' huge double-page spread of all the stuff the Canadian Mint spews out.. aye carrumba, if yer a Canadian and want to buy every new issue, ya better have 12 jobs!.. the US Mint seems to be heading in the same direction.. >>

Coinage bills pending include:

Santa Fe Quadricentennial Commemorative Coin Act (introduced in House), H.R. 4833.

Numismatic Rarities Certainty Act of 2007, H.R. 2730.

Fair Treatment for Precious Metals Investors Act (introduced in Senate), S. 1546; H.R. 2883.

Coinage Materials Modernization Act of 2007 (introduced in House), H.R. 3330.

NASA 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act (referred to Senate committee after being passed by the House), H.R. 2750.

Santa Fe 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2007 (introduced in Senate), S. 2498.

Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefields Commemorative Coin Act of 2007 (introduced in House), H.R. 158.

These may or may not be acted on in the coming weeks of the 110th Congress, which terminates in early January 2009.
    Weather11am order# 27814xxx
    Rockdogz order# 278016xx

Best guesstimate: ~12,500 orders processed in 2 days.

If conservatively 50% bought the 3 coin set.....25% sold.

I think the number is much higher, but it's best to err on the safe side.
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    order#: 278156XX

<< <i>order#: 278156XX >>

Make that ~14,000 orders!!!

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I wouldn't give the 3 piece set much time, once the website goes back online, I'm betting gone the same day!!!

Dads order: 27816XXX at 8:10 est tonight, mint rep said they were going fast, and he felt probably gone by friday, also said webiste hopefully back up friday...and yes I know it was just a rep...
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    I think these will sell out super fast when the mint web site goes back to working.

<< <i>I wouldn't give the 3 piece set much time, once the website goes back online, I'm betting gone the same day!!!

Dads order: 27816XXX at 8:10 est tonight, mint rep said they were going fast, and he felt probably gone by friday, also said webiste hopefully back up friday...and yes I know it was just a rep... >>

The mint has to have at least 15,000 phone orders since Tuesday at 12:08pm EST......less than 3 hours to go in day 2.

Post your order #'s here!!!! image
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    The Mint sucks, I hate them but I still love them! I guess it's a love/hate thing and my guess is that most people would agree or is it just me??? Those b@stards!!
  • Went ahead and decided to pick up a couple of Proof Silver/UNC Silver and the 3 coin set on the way home from work. Sometimes an hour drive isn't such a bad thing, it almost took the whole drive to get through being on hold and a slow helper...

Order number - 27815XXX
    Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I venture a guess that those "chickies" will be very popular.

"First Chick Coins" image >>

image they look better then the hags.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • What's the deal with ebay listings for $699...?? this isnt even sold out, and they DON'T EVEN have the set in their hands yet?

Are people that dumb, or is this just some posters having fun at ebays expense?imageimage

• << <i>What's the deal with ebay listings for $699...?? this isnt even sold out, and they DON'T EVEN have the set in their hands yet?

Are people that dumb, or is this just some posters having fun at ebays expense?imageimage >>

It's 20¢ listing day on eBay so lots are sellers are trying to reel in some bait.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

<< <i>

<< <i>What's the deal with ebay listings for $699...?? this isnt even sold out, and they DON'T EVEN have the set in their hands yet?

Are people that dumb, or is this just some posters having fun at ebays expense?imageimage >>

It's 20¢ listing day on eBay so lots are sellers are trying to reel in some bait. >>

that plus some folks might just not be in a position to sit on the phone (oww!) all day, re-dialing hundreds of times to try to get through so they'll just give up and say "screw it" and pay some high price because they want it that badly.. a friend was at work and dialed and dialed a bajillion times and he finally got to the on hold music, but after listening to it forever, he had to get on with his job.. didn't have a speaker phone or his own personal gargoyle to monitor the phone for when the order-taker finally came on.. so he gave up..

i'd also betcha that when that first one went for $700.00.. a bunch of other folks probably said "well if he can get $700.00 for one, so can i and for 20c, why not try?".. although it's pretty easy to option-up that basic listing fee such that 20c suddenly turns into five bucks when you add gallery / buncha hosted pictures / super-size / bold / outline / two categories / "Buy it Now" / fries / slice of pie / blah blah etc. etc..

don'tcha just love how when eBay has a 10c or 20c listing day they give ya ONE day's notice?..

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, I was able to place my order.
    9:55 PM CT
    # 278168XX
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was here last night at this time too - deja vue. I tried 10 times all day today to get through -- 30 minutes ago at least got on hold...again! Last night I was holding and got disconnected a little after midnight Eastern. Not to mention all the times I tried yesterday!

This is MOST RIDICULOUS ORDERING FIASCO I'VE EVER TRIED - are coin collectors weird or what? I'm even missing American Idol...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Day 3 begins...Good Morning All!!!!!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file