Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• My order 278168## was processed at 3:47 AM EST Thursday morning...

I just have to say - I love government and am a true believer in it....but the mint is really laying a big egg with how they've handled the transition in their new order system...

I guess the only hope is that this will be preventative maintenance...that the system will be better (sigh)

BTW - pressing 2 really does work if pressing 1 doesn't get you anywhere...

Good luck comrades
    Eric Woodard,
    National Treasure Shop

• << <i>

<< <i>the 01 silver buffalo may be an iconic animal but that coin release is a completely different species than this eagle. It was a regurgitated classic design that not only coin collectors wanted but a large portion also went to the jewelry industry for belt buckes and other things.

I think you will be disappointed with this issue and have to carry a lot of this inventory that will sell at issue price or less.

The true test is if this entire silver dollar mintage sells out in 8 days like the buffaloes did. If not you may want to consider canceling your orders. >>

your 8 days theory doesn't count if they don't get the website back up and running.

these are nice looking coins. i am making the unc 1/2 my new pocket peice. >>

Alright, I'll amend that statement to 8 days after they get the website up and running. The phone sale days will just be a little extra opportunity to sell more coins. They still won't sell out (single dollar coins).
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭
    I caved in and bought one of each in MS and Proof in Gold, Silver and Clad. Took 15 minutes this morning on the phone.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint sucks, I hate them but I still love them! I guess it's a love/hate thing and my guess is that most people would agree or is it just me??? Those b@stards!!

Griv, I couldn't have said it any better, lol. Where else but the U.S. Mint can you get fabulous quality one day and crappy the next; where else but the U.S. Mint can you get top notch service & delivery on one order and horrible the next; where else but the U.S. Mint can you get the Presidents "honored" in base metal and brass, and their wives in gold?

Need I say more?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at closing last night I finally got in! Email confirmation took another 2 hours.

27816XXX - 10 proof dollars
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

< Presidents "honored" in base metal and brass, and their wives in gold? >

it maybe double-edged - if the Pre$ coins are popular, then they may win!

another way of lookin at it is the wives are worth their weight in gold, and
    the presidents in brasz...
  • Got in right away, total time was 13 minutes and 13 seconds. Ordered two proof silver dollars, #27819xxx.

The wait wasn't bad, I've waited a lot longer on the phone for more important things in life.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    got on this AM (10AM) PACIFIC time and ordered a 3 coin set. 4-6 week delivery? wait was 5 minutes or less....press #2 guys and gals

order278202xx

one 3 coin proof set
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    When I ordered mine a few days ago, the message said If you wish to order any of the bald Eagle commem products press 2, So I did, Anyone else get this prerecorded message?
  • Getting close to 20,000 orders, if not over, first post I saw was 278016XX last one 278202XX.....
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • If you want to order the 2008 Kennedy halves and Sacagawea Golden dollar bags and rolls, they went on sale today at Noon EST so you can add them to your order and save on shipping image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

<< <i>Getting close to 20,000 orders, if not over, first post I saw was 278016XX last one 278202XX..... >>

update on this order....b/o date of 02/01/08
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting close to 20,000 orders, if not over, first post I saw was 278016XX last one 278202XX..... >>

what about those who order by mail? do we need to count them also?
  • If I would have ordered by mail, I would be praying the postal service is a lot faster than the mint the last couple days image I'm sure there are some being processed, but until someone tries to order online and posts that they are sold out, all we can really do is guess by the order numbers from the call in orders.
  • perhaps the mint is doing this on purpose to give the mail order pople a chance at the 3 coin proof set. The singles of course will be on sale all year.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    If they have as much trouble opening the mail as they do taking calls they will be long sold out before they open the first piece of mail.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86

<< <i>perhaps the mint is doing this on purpose to give the mail order pople a chance at the 3 coin proof set. The singles of course will be on sale all year. >>

Ya but from what I have heard most of the mail order advertisements were not received until January 13th??
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>perhaps the mint is doing this on purpose to give the mail order pople a chance at the 3 coin proof set. The singles of course will be on sale all year. >>

Ya but from what I have heard most of the mail order advertisements were not received until January 13th?? >>

Back during the $1 Silver Buffalo sellout, I sent in the mailing, hoping they might have 'saved' some for people who use the mail. No luck.

If they sellout before your order arrives via mail, I think you'll miss out.

Not to mention, isn't everyone manning the phones ?? I doubt any mailings have even been opened yet.

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭
    image.....27821---.........3 - Coin Set. Do not know why ordered,do not think they will go anywhere$$$.........But since I am often wrong, was reason enough to put it inimage

those without telephone service to their homes and who have all the payphones vandalized in a two block radius.....image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took four minutes just now..... #27821XXX.... Cheers, RickO
  • I called in 2 hours after the lines opened, waited for 5 minutes after redialing 3 times and got my order in. My order # 278053xx
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I called in 2 hours after the lines opened, waited for 5 minutes after redialing 3 times and got my order in. My order # 278053xx >>

tbone use this format 123456xx

What did you buy??? image
    Bald Eagle Coin Sales Impeded by Website Update
    By Michael Zielinski

Collector's have eagerly awaited the release of this year's Bald Eagle Recovery Commemorative Coins, which was scheduled for January 15, 2008. Unfortunately, on the day sales were scheduled to begin, the US Mint made an untimely website update that is impeding many collectors from placing their orders.

The Bald Eagle Commemorative Coin Program was widely expected to be popular with coin collectors. The Bald Eagle is a symbol often used on circulating United States coinage. The Commemorative Coin Program was authorized by Public Law 108-486. The purpose of the program is to honor the recovery of the Bald Eagle species, the 25th Anniversary of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and the importance of the Bald Eagle as the national symbol of the United States of America.

The morning that sales were expected to begin, collectors were greeted with an unexpected notice published on the US Mint's website:

Because of a transition in service providers, the United States Mint online catalog is currently unavailable. We expect the online catalog to be back in service within the next couple of days. In the interim, our toll-free customer service number will continue to be available to our customers.

Since the most of sales are handled over the website, the US Mint is causing an inconvenience for the majority of their customers. The release date of the coin series has been known for weeks. To begin a major website update on the same day is very poor planning. The resolution date stated on their notice "the next couple of days" also leaves much to be desired.

Orders placed by phone are usually preceded by long waiting times. For now, collectors will literally be on hold until the US Mint's website comes back online. It is still too early to tell whether sales figures will ultimately be impacted by unavailability of the website.

Michael Zielinski is an internet entrepreneur and coin collector. For up to date news on the US Mint, visit Mint News Blog For further information on the 2008 American Bald Eagle Commemorative Program visit Bald Eagle Coins

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Zielinski

Well the mint rep guy said he was told the site was supposed to be back up tomorrow, we shall see. He also said they were going absolutely crazy processing all the phone orders, and he said he thinks the 3 coin sets would be gone by tomorrow as well, and ya I know he's just a mint rep....

• << <i>Well the mint rep guy said he was told the site was supposed to be back up tomorrow, we shall see. He also said they were going absolutely crazy processing all the phone orders, and he said he thinks the 3 coin sets would be gone by tomorrow as well, and ya I know he's just a mint rep.... >>

I wonder if their computers show remaining inventory on a limited edition product.
    Looks like there are over 20,000 orders so far in 2 days.

Please post tonight's order #'s for better update.

I just called the Mint (and when I got through) I could not believe the long winded message about the Kennedy halves before the Bald Eagle option was even presented.

and then you get....."Due to heavy volume, the Bald Eagle Blah Blah Blah!!!!!!"
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭
    I bought the MS Gold along with the gold proof. Hopefully they will sell 90,000 gold proofs out of the total 100,000 mintage across both of the gold options.

<< <i>I bought the MS Gold along with the gold proof. Hopefully they will sell 90,000 gold proofs out of the total 100,000 mintage across both of the gold options. >>

Keep in mind that 25k Gold Proofs are about to be history because of the 3 coiner set!!!!!!
  • How many are buying the 3 coin set to send to PCGS? it's cheaper to buy singles.

<< <i>How many are buying the 3 coin set to send to PCGS? it's cheaper to buy singles. >>

Unless PCGS has a 3 coin set designation label.........wishful thinking for sure!!!

• << <i>Bald Eagle Coin Sales Impeded by Website Update
    By Michael Zielinski

Collector's have eagerly awaited the release of this year's Bald Eagle Recovery Commemorative Coins, which was scheduled for January 15, 2008. Unfortunately, on the day sales were scheduled to begin, the US Mint made an untimely website update that is impeding many collectors from placing their orders.

The Bald Eagle Commemorative Coin Program was widely expected to be popular with coin collectors. The Bald Eagle is a symbol often used on circulating United States coinage. The Commemorative Coin Program was authorized by Public Law 108-486. The purpose of the program is to honor the recovery of the Bald Eagle species, the 25th Anniversary of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and the importance of the Bald Eagle as the national symbol of the United States of America.

The morning that sales were expected to begin, collectors were greeted with an unexpected notice published on the US Mint's website:

Because of a transition in service providers, the United States Mint online catalog is currently unavailable. We expect the online catalog to be back in service within the next couple of days. In the interim, our toll-free customer service number will continue to be available to our customers.

Since the most of sales are handled over the website, the US Mint is causing an inconvenience for the majority of their customers. The release date of the coin series has been known for weeks. To begin a major website update on the same day is very poor planning. The resolution date stated on their notice "the next couple of days" also leaves much to be desired.

Orders placed by phone are usually preceded by long waiting times. For now, collectors will literally be on hold until the US Mint's website comes back online. It is still too early to tell whether sales figures will ultimately be impacted by unavailability of the website.

Michael Zielinski is an internet entrepreneur and coin collector. For up to date news on the US Mint, visit Mint News Blog For further information on the 2008 American Bald Eagle Commemorative Program visit Bald Eagle Coins

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Zielinski >>

Don't you just love outsourcing and privatization?image I hear many on the forum ripping on the govt but all of these Mint problems over the last couple of years are a direct result of the privatization of everything in the Mint except the actual coining operation. That's what you get when they hire people at the lowest price and treat them like crap......shoddy service, bad attitudes, poor planning, high turnover, and poor knowledge of operations, etc. I wonder how much money was funneled from the outsourced companies into our Congress person's freezers to get them to sign away the public trust and let them take over what were once civil service jobs at the Mint? Just common sense as Thomas Paine once said.....
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>

<< <i>How many are buying the 3 coin set to send to PCGS? it's cheaper to buy singles. >>

Unless PCGS has a 3 coin set designation label.........wishful thinking for sure!!! >>

I would expect nothing less.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Unless PCGS has a 3 coin set designation label.........wishful thinking for sure!!! >>

I would expect nothing less. >>

So, can someone please explain to this humble neophyte, sending your new coin to PGCS, is that to validate what you have recieved from the mint? or the grade? If so, can the grade be different on coins struck next to eachother within minutes? Sorry, but i don't understand..
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Earlier today #27818XXX. One proof silver dollar, one proof clad half, and a coin and medal set.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    #27819XXX. Broke down and called 'em up at 1-800-USA-MINT. Website's still down! image

Edited: Purchased everything but the PR Gold coin and Young Collector's set.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

• << <i>
    So, can someone please explain to this humble neophyte, sending your new coin to PGCS, is that to validate what you have recieved from the mint? or the grade? If so, can the grade be different on coins struck next to eachother within minutes? Sorry, but i don't understand.. >>

People will pay top dollar for MS70 and PR70 coins. The only way to tell the difference between a 69 and a 70 is what the grading service decides to print on the label. Most humans can't tell the difference.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, can someone please explain to this humble neophyte, sending your new coin to PGCS, is that to validate what you have recieved from the mint? or the grade? If so, can the grade be different on coins struck next to eachother within minutes? Sorry, but i don't understand.. >>

Validation, authentication, grade assessment, long term protection, registry set building, .... and yes, to your other question. Each coin is individually struck on a planchet. This is a round piece of metal punched out of a strip that's been washed and rinsed and "run through the mill'' , so to speak. I think of coins like snowflakes. No two are exactly the same.

Some people want the best, some of us search for the best. Nobody ever wins, it's just fun playing.

• << <i>

<< <i>So, can someone please explain to this humble neophyte, sending your new coin to PGCS, is that to validate what you have recieved from the mint? or the grade? If so, can the grade be different on coins struck next to eachother within minutes? Sorry, but i don't understand.. >>

Validation, authentication, grade assessment, long term protection, registry set building, .... and yes, to your other question. Each coin is individually struck on a planchet. This is a round piece of metal punched out of a strip that's been washed and rinsed and "run through the mill'' , so to speak. I think of coins like snowflakes. No two are exactly the same.

Some people want the best, some of us search for the best. Nobody ever wins, it's just fun playing. >>

<< <i>People will pay top dollar for MS70 and PR70 coins. The only way to tell the difference between a 69 and a 70 is what the grading service decides to print on the label. Most humans can't tell the difference. >>

Ok, I see the validity, thanks guys...

But , as I being a new collector, would it be ok for me to send just a couple of coins I just bought to PCGS to grade, or would they think i am wasting their time?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a club that people wanted to join and send their coins to, I'd want your COUPLE coins to grade. They like us, we like them. Just sending ANY coin in is not always wise, but if you want to, it's your choice on submitting them. Your question just might get Ron Guth or David Hall to respond, DoubleGoldEagles1... and I hope you enjoy the boards for many moons to come.

Joe
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ok, I see the validity, thanks guys...

But , as I being a new collector, would it be ok for me to send just a couple of coins I just bought to PCGS to grade, or would they think i am wasting their time? >>

Dude, you must pay PCGS when you submit coins. There are alot of folks who post on these boards who seek the elusive PO-1 grade for their submissions. These people cherish this grade as much as the ubiquitious public cherishes the high MS grades in 65+. PCGS wants your money. Nobody will think that you are wasting their time if you are willing to cough up hard earned cash for a coin entombed in plastic. Better yet, submit your plastic entombed metal round to CAC for a sticker that proves the TPG grade is OK amongst the elite. Good Luck! imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

• << <i>If I had a club that people wanted to join and send their coins to, I'd want your COUPLE coins to grade. They like us, we like them. Just sending ANY coin in is not always wise, but if you want to, it's your choice on submitting them. Your question just might get Ron Guth or David Hall to respond, DoubleGoldEagles1... and I hope you enjoy the boards for many moons to come.

Joe >>

No, I understand you pay, and their reputation deserves them that fee, as from what I read, they are the top tiered in grading; I just was thinking sending in 2 $5 eagles to them to grade might be too small an order for them;

I think I would enjoy the experience to find out what I really bought..

One more question, if you send in one of the sets, like the bald eagles that the mints selling, do they put the 3 coins in new individual holders? Or how does that work to preseve their grading?

Thanks for all the help by the way....a man could spend hours a day on this
    Good Morning Forumates....It's Day 4 of Bald Eagle Commem. ordering and still no Shop Online at the Mint.

Today could be an end to the 3 coin set.

Good luck on the phones.....it's just about opening bell!!!

Post your order #'s here!!!!! image

• << <i>

<< <i>If I had a club that people wanted to join and send their coins to, I'd want your COUPLE coins to grade. They like us, we like them. Just sending ANY coin in is not always wise, but if you want to, it's your choice on submitting them. Your question just might get Ron Guth or David Hall to respond, DoubleGoldEagles1... and I hope you enjoy the boards for many moons to come.

Joe >>

No, I understand you pay, and their reputation deserves them that fee, as from what I read, they are the top tiered in grading; I just was thinking sending in 2 $5 eagles to them to grade might be too small an order for them;

I think I would enjoy the experience to find out what I really bought..

One more question, if you send in one of the sets, like the bald eagles that the mints selling, do they put the 3 coins in new individual holders? Or how does that work to preseve their grading?

Thanks for all the help by the way....a man could spend hours a day on this >>

The coins would be in individual holders
    Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
    Aviation Radar Technician
    Communications & Electronics Chief
    Who said the $25 box wasn't worth it???? image

Bid: $540

eBay1

Many more to come

eBay2
    About time NN picked up on this debacle!!!!!!

Phones Jam for Bald Eagles
    By Numismatic News
    January 18, 2008

Jammed phone lines and a lack of an Internet ordering alternative might have given the impression that everybody is buying the new Bald Eagle commemoratives.

When the coins were placed on sale at noon Eastern Time Jan. 15, the Mint was in the process of migrating its Web site to a new server, preventing acceptance of any online orders for several days.

Instead, hobbyists were referred to the Mint's telephone ordering number, 1-800-USA-MINT. Enough collectors responded to jam the lines. The lines were still jammed on the second day of sales as this story was prepared.

Product order limits are in place and allowed quantities are high enough that collectors probably shouldn't have been concerned about a possible quick sellout of any of the options, but nothing feeds a scarcity psychology than a seeming denial of access.

Overall maximum mintages are 100,000 gold $5s, 500,000 silver dollars and 750,000 clad half dollars. These are standard totals, There are some special sets within these totals. A three-piece proof set will have a maximum of 25,000.

A Coin and Medal Set that features an uncirculated dollar and a bronze bald eagle medal from the National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Medal Series has a maximum of 50,000.

A Bald Eagle Young Collector's Set features an uncirculated bald eagle half dollar. Its total production will be whatever is ordered Jan. 15-April 15.

Introductory prices end Feb. 14 at 5 p.m. Eastern Time. Prices below indicate the current price followed by the post-Feb. 14 price in parentheses.

Proof $5, $294.95 ($319.95)
    Uncirculated $5, $284.95 ($309.95)
    Proof dollar, $39.95 ($43.95)
    Uncirculated dollar, $35.95 ($37.95)
    Proof half, $9.95 ($10.95)
    Uncirculated half, $7.95 ($8.95)

There are no introductory prices for the set options. The three-coin proof set is $369.95, the Young Collector's Set is $14.95 and the Coin and Medal Set is $44.95.

Order limits for 30 days are 100 coins per household for the individual coins, one three-coin proof set and five Coin and Medal Sets. Because there is no maximum, there is no order limit for the Young Collector's Set.

Later this year a Legacy Set with a proof dollar will be offered.

Linkeroo

• << <i>Good Morning Forumates....It's Day 4 of Bald Eagle Commem. ordering and still no Shop Online at the Mint.

Good luck on the phones.....it's just about opening bell!!!

<< <i>

Called the mint last night at 8:35 PST. They had me on hold till about 9:05 when I get a message saying they are taking no more phone calls. Why do they keep taking phone calls knowing there not going to answer them. If I did this at work I'd get fired. What a waste of a half hour.
  • No new order numbers posted yet today, I am almost curious enough to go ahead and call in and order my 2008 Kennedys, Almost.....
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

5 minutes on hold. Very friendly operator. Got the 3 coin set. Plan to keep it
    Thanks for posting dbcoin.....that's~26,500 orders now!!!!!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file