Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• My proof dollar shipped TODAY!!!!! 1/25

WOOO HOOOO

My Half is back ordered and due to ship 1/29
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i ordered the three-coin Proof set.. back during the first hour of ordering on 01/15/2008.. still says "on hold" and "in stock and reserved"..
    placed a second order for various and sundry yesterday, right after The Mint's Web site had come back from Jupiter..
    just Tracked it with these results:

2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER UNC 1 $35.95 $35.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $0.50 CLAD UNC 2 $7.95 $15.90 2 units backordered. Expected to ship on 01/29/2008.
    2008 BE COIN AND MEDAL SET 1 $44.95 $44.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/15/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER PRF 1 $39.95 $39.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $0.50 CLAD PRF 1 $9.95 $9.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 01/29/2008.

looks like the Halves will ship in a few days.. the DollErs not until early March, and God only knows when they'll ship my three-coin Proof set..
    since this second order was about $150.00 worth, it wasn't put "on hold" for a funds verification, apparently..

and although this is unrelated, have any of you people checked precious metal prices this morning?.. my jaw hit the floor a couple hours ago (oww!).. when i checked Kitco.com and saw that Platinum had leaped over $75/oz since yesterday and was kissing up against $1700$/oz.. hmm.. checking again, the spot market is closed for the weekend and Platinum ended up at $1672/oz, up $66/oz from yesterday.. that's quite a leap.. Gold is at about $912/oz as i type this, having pulled back from $920/oz a few hours ago.. Silver is well over $16/oz..

i recently had to switch to a Winblows Vista laptop a few weeks ago, and it has a desktop feature called "The Sidebar" on which you can plop various little gadgets that do various things like a clock, local weather, search engines, cpu/ram meter, typing speed meter.. and other stuff.. one of the gadgets you can plop there is a Gold and Silver "meter" which i think is linked to Kitco.com and updates every ten minutes.. unfortunately, it only shows those two metals' current prices, and not Platinum..

i normally wouldn't care about Platinum except i have the two coin 10nd Anniversary set i received weeks ago sitting in its sealed shipping box.. waiting for me to take it to the Long Beach show in a couple of weeks and have PCGS slab the two coins.. since it shipped the first day of shipping, the coins qualify for First Strike designation.. that was the single most expensive thing i have EVER purchased from the Mint and i can't even open the box and look at it and fondle it.. if i don't get at least one 70 out of the two coins.. i'll be back here asking how to crack open PCGS slabs so i can put the coins back in their capsules and sell it as an original, opened set on eBay image .. but we shall see if one or both of the coins get the holy of holies 70s or not..

a news article on Kitco.com explained there is a huge upward pressure on the price of an oz. of Platinum all of a sudden due to some kind of brouhaha going on at South African mines, where most of the world's Platinum comes from..

but i digress..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    you can go to the kitco download site and download a program that displays on your windows toolbar the price of gold/silver/plat/palladium or any combo of. Will update based on what you tell it from every 1 minute to 60 minutes.

Great little program.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an order time/date on their online account? Mine is blank for orders placed during the down time. I wonder if any orders will be canceled because of an "early order" or if they will let all orders go through. Maybe the mint should cancel all the orders for the Bald Eagle, and re-release them in a few months when they are ready to ship image
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    supposedly automatic 10-day hold on all orders paid with credit card - over $300.

• << <i>supposedly automatic 10-day hold on all orders paid with credit card - over $300. >>

I have placed many orders that have shipped in much less time than that.
    you can call and have them release the order after 3 days.
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    My silver dollars have been shipped as of today!!!!!!!!
  • Yeah MAN!!!!

AND I bet you used a phone to order them!

WOOOO HOOOOO
    Mint Director apologizes for Web downtime..

(if he was the Director of the Japanese Mint, he'd probably be obligated to skewer himself with a sword out of shame..) ..

“To Our Valued Customers:

“The United States Mint temporarily suspended its online catalog recently while we shifted our online ordering capability from one provider to another. We didn’t plan an interruption in service but, as the transition from one company to another took place, we realized that we couldn’t guarantee to our customers that our online ordering system was completely reliable until the new provider had enough time to take over operations and make them secure.

“During the transition to new service providers, we know that many of you tried to log in to the United States Mint’s retail Web site and found a notice that the online catalog was unavailable. We also know that many of you called our toll-free Customer Service lines to place orders. Because of extremely high call volume, many customers were unable to get through or spent a long time waiting on hold. This is not the level of service that you deserve from the United States Mint and certainly not the kind of service that I want you to have.

“I take full responsibility for the lapse in service and apologize to you for any inconvenience and frustration you experienced. I thank you for your patience while we improve our system of online operation. The United States Mint’s service mission is to create the highest quality products for the United States and our customers, and we are working to make this vision a reality. I truly regret service interruptions and will take measures to avoid them in the future.”

It is signed:
    Edmund C. Moy
    Director
    United States Mint
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We forgive you Mr. Moy!!!! image
  • How much gold in the proof and unc on these coins
    will gold pricing come into play on the mints pricing
    of them
  • How about a mint discount, MR MOY???:&ltimage
    my EBAY items
    Successful forum transactions: jessewvu, nankraut, tootawl, levinll, mistercoinman, metalsman, adamlaneus, chuckc, fivecents, kingplatinum, jdimmick, waterzooey, moderncoinmart, bige, steelielee,

<< <i>How much gold in the proof and unc on these coins
    will gold pricing come into play on the mints pricing
    of them >>

just like all other US Gold coins (except the .9999 pure 24k Buffalos and American Gold Eagles which are sold as "bullion coins".. and any others i can't think of right now).. the Bald Eagle Golds are what's called "coin Gold" which means they're 22k, or 90% Gold alloyed with other metals for hardness.. the same as "Classic" US Gold coins up to 1933.. $1, $2.50, $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00 coins.. so you might ask yourself "Self, they alloyed those old Gold coins with other metals to make them harder, because pure 24k Gold is very soft, and those coins actually circulated.. these Moderns don't circulate at all, so why are they still only 90% Gold?" to which i have absolutely no good answer.. and of course the $5.00 denomation on these coins is utterly meaningless.. with Gold over $900/oz, a 1/4 oz coin that contains ALMOST 1/4 oz. of Gold has an melt value of about $225.00.. by denominating them (which is the law), they are "real" coins with a face value of $5.00, which, like i said, is utterly meaningless..

the Europeans don't put such low denominations on THEIR Gold Euro coins.. they give them realistic denominations.. like 50, 100, or even 500 Euros.. same as they do with their Silver commemoratives..

got any other US Mint Modern Commemoratives' original packaging?.. just look at the COA and it's all there.. don't have any others?.. then look in thy Holy Red Book.. it's all in there too.. these are no different than any of the others.. same size, weight, purity, blah blah etc. etc..

will Gold's spot pricing come into play on the Mint's pricing of them?.. it already did.. previous $5.00 Gold Modern Commemoratives, also known as "Half Eagles".. for at least the past ten years or longer.. were typicaly priced at around $220.00 for Uncs. and $23x.00 for Proofs during the initial "pre-release" period, which is usually the first 30 days of sale.. and then jacked up about $15 or $20 each during the "regular price" period.. these started out a LOT higher.. just look at the "pre-release" prices on the Baldies Gold coins.. this issue ALREADY reflects the nearly $250/oz rise in spot Gold from a year ago, now hovering around $910/oz..

Harv,

I'm really enjoying your informative posts!!

Thanks much. image

Mike

<< <i>How about a mint discount, MR MOY???:&ltimage >>

yeah.. there seems to be a paragraph conspicuous in its absence from his {{coff}} apology.. like one that says "to make up for the inconvenince caused to our VALUED CUSTOMERS, all you taxpayers out there who pay my salary and buy our coins, all shipping charges on all orders taken over the phone between 01/15/2008 and 01/23/2008 when our Web system was down will be waived.. and your invoice total will be discounted 20%. the costs to cover free shipping and the discount will come directly out of my salary."

how can he take "full responsibility" for this debacle, and even live with himself by offering nothing more than an apology?.. easy.. he's a politician..

"This is not the level of service that you deserve from the United States Mint and certainly not the kind of service that I want you to have.".. all well and good Mr. Moy, and looks nice on paper.. talk is cheap.. prove it..

[no smiley]..

• Was anyone not able to eventually get the coins they wanted? I don't think there were any sellouts during the time that the website was down. All one needed was a little patience. At least we got an apology. When my power goes out for days at a time I get nothing from the utility company except a bill.
  • The Mint was great for me, my coin is on the way.

You know, I ordered my coin like I always have, whats the deal?
  • mark511mark511 Posts: 364 ✭✭
    His letter shold have started out...

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I find it necessary to resign my position as the Director of the US Mint
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ordered today:

#27859XXX >>

Let see, I ordered yesterday and here is what the Mint has to say:

2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET 1 $369.95 $369.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $5 GOLD UNC 1 $284.95 $284.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER PRF 2 $39.95 $79.90 2 units backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER UNC 2 $35.95 $71.90 2 units backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.

This is the same date the Mint employee gave me. >>

UPDATE:

2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET 1 $369.95 $369.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 03/01/2008.
    2008 BALD EAGLE $5 GOLD UNC 1 $284.95 $284.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER PRF 2 $39.95 $79.90 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER UNC 2 $35.95 $71.90 In stock and reserved

So, does this mean the 3-coin set may be sold out?
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    When I think of my Jackie Robinsons and Anniversary Eagles,
    I'm very happy with the Mint.
  • The mint cancelled a order on two people I know who are apartment dwellers and not related. They receive mail at the same address.. but each has a different suite/apartment number, different names, naturally, and individual credit cards.

I suggested they call in to the mint for reorder by phone.

Anyone out there with a similar snafu story?

My coins shipped today.. Yippee!! I ordered by phone on the 15th.
  • Hmmmmmmmmm. What are the best plays here? I already ordered one 3 coin set. What else? I have an urge to hulk up on these!

Buy the order limit for the gold and silver coins. It's just $65,580 plus 4.95 S/H for the 400 coins, that is a steal!

<< <i>Buy the order limit for the gold and silver coins. It's just $65,580 plus 4.95 S/H for the 400 coins, that is a steal! >>

And that includes $65k in insurance, right??? image

• << <i>Buy the order limit for the gold and silver coins. It's just $65,580 plus 4.95 S/H for the 400 coins, that is a steal! >>

Hahaha, thats funny stuff! However, how about doing 100 of the silver dollar coins and doing a bulk submission???

• << <i>My silver dollars have been shipped as of today!!!!!!!! >>

My Mint order for Baldies also show as shipped today.....1/25/08

so sometime next week I should be enjoying them....

• I wonder if the sales of these have gone up since the website became functional. I have not seen anyone post any sales figures yet.
  • Guess I better clarify my statement. I wonder if the rate of sales has gone up since the website became functional. I certainly hope people are still buying image The designs of these coins are great in my opinion. I don't expect them to match the appeal or collectability of the silver buffalo commemorative, but hoping they sell out.
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>

<< <i>My silver dollars have been shipped as of today!!!!!!!! >>

My Mint order for Baldies also show as shipped today.....1/25/08

so sometime next week I should be enjoying them.... >>

Hope you fair better than I did. My SAE proof shipped on 12/27 and I still haven't received it. According to the lated tracking it arrived at the local PO yesterday. Thats almost one month. Needless to say I canceled my subscription services.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
    Any more buyers of the baldies today???

Please post your order #'s.

Mine are still "In Stock and Reserved" with a "Hold" status....and I was an early orderer.

Guess some folks got lucky as it sounds like several Eagles have flown from the Mint!! image
  • Yep I am in the same boat as you, got it ordered the first hour or so after they went on sale, but still on hold, but in stock and reserved.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That's where I am also. Everybody from these boards has already got their order in I think.
    So, is anyone going to send their coins in for grading? How much do you think the first MS/PR70 coin will go for for the silver coins?
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, is anyone going to send their coins in for grading? How much do you think the first MS/PR70 coin will go for for the silver coins? >>

Not sure what the first one will bring, but if you wait a month or so they'll be all over the place and cheap!
    apparently the first three-coin Proof set listed on eBay.. (not mine).. how he got it already i leave for you to guess..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140202279376
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>apparently the first three-coin Proof set listed on eBay.. (not mine).. how he got it already i leave for you to guess..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140202279376 >>

$900 is a bit steep, don't you think?

<< <i>

$900 is a bit steep, don't you think? >>

well he's got the make an offer thingie on it, so i'm sure i'll take a more reasonable $899.99 {{coff sputter}}..

what i want to know is how he got it already.. i, like many of you, ordered mine by phone the first hour on 01/15/2008, and they haven't even charged me for it yet, and my order still says "on hold" and "in stock and reserved".. could he have sent in a mail order?.. does The Mint sell anything over-the-counter to walk-ins?.. are there any coin shows going on this weekend.. where The Mint has a booth and is selling product to attendees?.. well if he gets nine hundred clams for it, more power to him.. i don't think he will, but ya never know with them kwazy eBay bidiots..
  • Notice his set has a different layout than the U.S Mint's photo of the set. BTW 27896xxx

Edited to correct the order number above.

<< <i>Notice his set has a different layout than the U.S Mint's photo of the set. BTW 27896xxx

Edited to correct the order number above. >>

<< <i>Notice his set has a different layout than the U.S Mint's photo of the set. BTW 27896xxx

Edited to correct the order number above. >>

i noticed the COA is conspicuous in its absence in his photograph.. could he have gotten the singles and put'em in another series' three-coin case?.. either that, or the Mint's publicity picture was a prototype mock-up and not a photograph at all..

• I sent him an email asking how he orered it and how he received it so fast.Let's see if i get an answer.
  • I like his layout better than the mints,with the gold in the middle.image

<< <i>I like his layout better than the mints,with the gold in the middle.image >>

yeah, as the most imporant (and valuable (and smallest)) coin.. the Gold belongs in the middle, however, as an Art student in a former life (waving University degree..) .. the placement of the other two coins is wrong, from an artistic standpoint.. the boids on the half and the DollEr are facing out, rather than in.. those two coins should be in the opposite positions so the beasties' faces are looking into the "canvas", not out.. and thus lead your eyes to the Gold coin in the middle.. just basic composition they teach ya in bonehead Art 101..
  • Great observation there hrlaser,i missed that,was to focused on the gold.
  • I'm surprised the 3 coin set hasn't sold out yet.
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

$900 is a bit steep, don't you think? >>

well he's got the make an offer thingie on it, so i'm sure i'll take a more reasonable $899.99 {{coff sputter}}..

what i want to know is how he got it already.. i, like many of you, ordered mine by phone the first hour on 01/15/2008, and they haven't even charged me for it yet, and my order still says "on hold" and "in stock and reserved".. could he have sent in a mail order?.. does The Mint sell anything over-the-counter to walk-ins?.. are there any coin shows going on this weekend.. where The Mint has a booth and is selling product to attendees?.. well if he gets nine hundred clams for it, more power to him.. i don't think he will, but ya never know with them kwazy eBay bidiots..
    image >>

Mint always ships early, no big deal.
  • Has anyone ordered multiples of the 3 coin set. I tried to order a second set as a gift for my brother, but was

rejected...used his mailing address but maybe because I used the same credit card? I'm sure someone out

there has a boatload coming in...I just wanted to order extras as gifts! Let me know if there is a way...thanks
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • OVERLOOKING THE OBVIOUS.. The mint changed the layout after the promo photos.

I have viewed several sets now sitting in my dealers showcases... seems "good" customers got priority..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file