Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Bald Eagle Order Thread!! Post your order#'s****Updated Pops Report **Great Pics Posted*

Comments

• Oh, and BTW the going retail is about cost plus 20% .

• << <i>

<< <i>I like his layout better than the mints,with the gold in the middle.image >>

yeah, as the most imporant (and valuable (and smallest)) coin.. the Gold belongs in the middle, however, as an Art student in a former life (waving University degree..) .. the placement of the other two coins is wrong, from an artistic standpoint.. the boids on the half and the DollEr are facing out, rather than in.. those two coins should be in the opposite positions so the beasties' faces are looking into the "canvas", not out.. and thus lead your eyes to the Gold coin in the middle.. just basic composition they teach ya in bonehead Art 101.. >>

maybe the mint should take a class in bonehead art 101, i don't like the layout, i like your way better.
  • ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles

• << <i>you can call and have them release the order after 3 days. >>

I called three times on Friday for that very purpose and they wouldn't release them. I spent thousands of dollars last year with them using the same card and have never had them hold an order more that 6 days. no rhyme or reason to the mint.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest 3 coin set................ eBay Link
  • 27900xxx
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    oh gosh, I couldn't help my addiction....I ordered some of the 3 coin sets, despite my disgust for the extra cost of the darned box!
    #2789XXXX . Kind of have my doubts though it will be filled. We'll see.

I think I need help.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>oh gosh, I couldn't help my addiction....I ordered some of the 3 coin sets, despite my disgust for the extra cost of the darned box!
    #2789XXXX . Kind of have my doubts though it will be filled. We'll see.

I think I need help. >>

how did you order "some" and end up with one order number, if the limit is still one per "household".. someone else posted here yesterday that he tried to order a second set as a gift for a his brother.. with a ship to: of his brother's address but using the same CC# he had previously ordered one for himself with, and they rejected his second order.. so how did you order "some"?.. did the Mint's Web site just accept a single order for multiple three-coin sets?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
    Why even bother???????

Buy for $39.95 from the Mint and BIN on eBay for $49.95. image

eBay Link

• << <i>Why even bother???????

eBay Link >>

The auction os for the preorder of the coin.

SO, you are paying an additional 10 bucks per coin for them to get it for you, THEN its 6 bucks for S+H. SO, assuming the got the 39.95 mint oprice, they are getting 10 bucks for each coin, the S+H is a bit much.
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why even bother???????

eBay Link >>

My only guess is that the guy wants to build some feedback or learn the ropes
    ~n
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Well I received my order today, well half of it anyway. I ordered a proof dollar and the proof clad half. I received the proof dollar today and the proof clad half was on backorder.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

• << <i>Well I received my order today, well half of it anyway. I ordered a proof dollar and the proof clad half. I received the proof dollar today and the proof clad half was on backorder.

Anyone else experience anything similar? >>

The mint says they are coming from Tennessee, so with any luck, my dollar should be at home today or tomorrow and yes, my half is also on back order until today, 1/29.

• My Eagle dollar arrived today. Nice coin in hand! Edit: The Half Dollar is on hold, no half, but they are expected to ship today. I have heard this might also be delayed. No reason was given to me by the Mint.
  • I just called the mint, they have NO IDEA what the hell is going on, what they are doing, what is in stock, what isn't, who they should ship what to, when they may ship anything, what they have shipped so far, what they had for breakfast or whom they should call to change their diapers. Absolutely unbelievable, next time I will record the call and put it on U-Tube I think image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>I just called the mint, they have NO IDEA what the hell is going on, what they are doing, what is in stock, what isn't, who they should ship what to, when they may ship anything, what they have shipped so far, what they had for breakfast or whom they should call to change their diapers. Absolutely unbelievable, next time I will record the call and put it on U-Tube I think image >>

Good Lord, what Mental Giant did you talk to?

I hear alot of horror stories about the Mint (especially this thread) and am very sorry this was your experience.

What do they know, I assume you got an order number and the tracking service opn the site told you something?
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe that the 3 coin set is not sold out yet.

<< <i>

What do they know, I assume you got an order number and the tracking service opn the site told you something? >>

"Your order is on indefinite hold - your coins were taken home by Mint Director, Moy, who gave them to his children. Product to fulfill your order will be available to ship on 12/31/2023. Thank you for ordering from the United States Mint. We value your business. Please go away." ..

i have two pending orders for Baldies.. i haven't been charged for nuthin'.. i haven't received nuthin'.. unless you count heartburn..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Yes, I have an order number, yes, they were idiots. They refused to let me speak to a SENIOR order taker (no managers at the mint?), when she put me on hold because she kept telling me my stuff was on backorder, when the website clearly states it is "on hold" in stock and reserved, she came back and said it has to keep going through processing. Of course, how long that takes no one there knows. I did get out of her that 7600 of the 3 coin sets were sold within an hour of them going on sale on the 15th FWIW, that is how many were sold in front of me, and I got in about an hour after they opened the phone lines. Anyway, I just can't believe we are two weeks out and they still don't know their image from a hole in the ground....
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    How's the math work out on that 7600 orders in an hour?? Once I got through, it took more than 5 minutes to place an order, so 12 orders roughly per person per hour, or 7600/12, so thats 633 people manning the phones?
  • If you are still on "hold" for a set, call and tell them you might have given an incorrect credit card. I did, they checked the credit card and then changed it to in process.

I ordered the first day, but in the evening. It has already been shipped but it's slow because it's registered.

• << <i>How's the math work out on that 7600 orders in an hour?? Once I got through, it took more than 5 minutes to place an order, so 12 orders roughly per person per hour, or 7600/12, so thats 633 people manning the phones? >>

You know, they were so out of the loop with what was going on, maybe that is how many have been ordered as of today, however, she told me that there had been 7,600 some odd orders of the 3 coin proof set, because I expressed that was the one I was most interested in knowing when it would ship. Her apparent reason for telling me this was so you could say there are 7,600 some odd orders in line in front of me. Come to think about it, maybe she did JUST SAY THAT for that reason, and it wasn't true. You can tell on the first few pages of this thread when I got through I believe, as I did post at about that time... If you have something on hold, give them a call, press 2, and check the status of your order, ask when it should ship.
  • Thanks Puritan, next time I will try that, I didn't even think to have them confirm my credit card. I tried every other question I could think of though image
    well i just called and pressed "2" and asked why my 01/15/2008 (via phone of course) order for the three-coin Proof set was still showing as "on hold" and she didn't even ask for my order number or name or shoe size or a stool sample or anything else, but she said ALL the Bald Eagle coins are back-ordered and they couldn't say when ANY of them would ship.. i said that's not right, there are people reporting getting theirs in the mail already (i didn't mention anyone listing any on eBay of course).. and mine didn't say "backordered" it said "in stock and reserved".. she mumbled something the best i could make out could possibly be translated into human English as "for any order over $300.00 as soon as funds are verified your order will ship but i can't tell you when that will be yadda yadda more 1000wpm gibberish".. i guess i got one of the smart ones {{coff}}.. i asked to please verify that the set i ordered won't be cancelled or given over to someone else's order because i ordered during the first hour of the first day, and more yadda yadda no it won't it's being held for you and you only.. which is why it says in stock and reserved.. but i can't tell you when it will ship they're all on back-order blah blah etc. etc." at which point i decided this is getting nowhere and thanked her and hung up.. sigh.. image

• I ordered a group of both Proof and UNCs of the $1 Dollar Baldies......my phone order was taken 55 minutes after opening H-Hour....

I received them all today.

They are nice...am pleased.....however...due to my taste for classic coinage...I like the UNC finish better than the Proofs.

I know this does not help those that are awaiting the 3 coin set...but I thought I would post the receipt of my Dollar coins.

RAH
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hard to believe that the 3 coin set is not sold out yet. >>

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but why would it be? Please explain it to me. It appears the same three coins in three separate boxes w/c.o.a.s can be bought individually... cheaper! Maybe there is twenty thousand or so collectors who can't do the math, but I'm not one of them!image

• << <i>Why even bother???????

eBay Link >>

Not greedy but smart.. after fees and after shipping his 39.95 coin(plus the FIVE CENT fed shipping eqiv on 100 coins) will make plus or minus 20%
    and he will use FREE MONEY (the buyers) to do it. Then only risk is not being able to sell enough to make it worthwhile. In the meantime the Fed clock is ticking and their prices will rise to 43.95 plus ship regardless of market. This alone will push his price to a desireable level and his profit will remain the same as long as he does not repurchase.
    He's got a dealer plan that works.. my dealer uses the .50 pieces at $9.99 already to get more store traffic and it works- people want to see the coin and then buy it.

<< <i>

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but why would it be? Please explain it to me. It appears the same three coins in three separate boxes w/c.o.a.s can be bought individually... cheaper! Maybe there is twenty thousand or so collectors who can't do the math, but I'm not one of them!image >>

as of 02/14/2008, the three separate Proof coins purchased together will cost $5.00 more than the three-coin Proof set costs now.. they have a "pre-release price" and a higher "regular price" after 30 days.. the set doesn't.. its price doesn't change on 02/14/2008 (assuming there are any left anyway..) ..

<< <i>

<< <i>Why even bother???????

eBay Link >>

Not greedy but smart.. after fees and after shipping his 39.95 coin(plus the FIVE CENT fed shipping eqiv on 100 coins) will make plus or minus 20%
    and he will use FREE MONEY (the buyers) to do it. Then only risk is not being able to sell enough to make it worthwhile. In the meantime the Fed clock is ticking and their prices will rise to 43.95 plus ship regardless of market. This alone will push his price to a desireable level and his profit will remain the same as long as he does not repurchase.
    He's got a dealer plan that works.. my dealer uses the .50 pieces at $9.99 already to get more store traffic and it works- people want to see the coin and then buy it. >>

Sounds logical if you have a bunch of these in stock. It appears this guy only has one coin for sale.

Nurmaler said he is testing the waters and getting his eBay feet wet.

Whatever the choice, I'm not an eBay seller, yet I truly respect the sellers for their hard work.

I would prefer to sell my coins in larger lots using the services of say Russ Enterprises. image

• Well, I got my lowly order of TWO proof silver eagles today. One is really great, while the other has scratches all over the lower reverse. Go figure!

<< <i>Well, I got my lowly order of TWO proof silver eagles today. One is really great, while the other has scratches all over the lower reverse. Go figure! >>

Sorry to hear that Gal......were you an early order person?????

Would love to see a pic.....image

• << <i>Well, I got my lowly order of TWO proof silver eagles today. One is really great, while the other has scratches all over the lower reverse. Go figure! >>

Hi...are you sure the scratches are on the coin and not the capsule?

One of my capsules is scratched all to peices......I popped it open to make sure the coin was fine...it was.....it is hard to tell when looking down at the Proof through the capsule.

If it is the coin that is scratched...return it now....should be plenty to replace it with....

RAH
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but why would it be? Please explain it to me. It appears the same three coins in three separate boxes w/c.o.a.s can be bought individually... cheaper! Maybe there is twenty thousand or so collectors who can't do the math, but I'm not one of them!image >>

as of 02/14/2008, the three separate Proof coins purchased together will cost $5.00 more than the three-coin Proof set costs now.. they have a "pre-release price" and a higher "regular price" after 30 days.. the set doesn't.. its price doesn't change on 02/14/2008 (assuming there are any left anyway..) .. >>

Thanks! And once again...I'm not trying to be a smart___. I'm just trying to learn how all of this works and I've got myself a theory. So the buyers, not me, still have two weeks to save $5. Surely by then, 02/14/2008, everyone who wanted them raw & direct from the source will have ordered, no? The slab collectors will flock to them once the tpgs get done with them and a premium will be initially paid by those who don't have submission "access", oh... lets say for 1 month, for the 70s. Then the extremely high mintage flexes it's muscle and the graded 70s will be cheap. It's hurry & order direct for the raw collectors or wait a month or two for the slab collectors. Right? I understand it! Don't I? image Probably none of what I'm saying sounds too good for the flippers though.image
    Looks like the 3 coiner is getting $450 with ease on eBay!!!!!! image
  • Well, I am thoroughly confused....should I call? I ordered mine the first day too...What would confirming my credit card number do to cause it to move from 'on hold' to 'in process' as the other poster states?

Don't all we have a right to know why some people have some kind of priority that we don't know of and have received their order? Its not frustrating as much as it is a black eye on the Mint for picking and choosing who they send the coins too.......
  • Call the Mint (#2) and be polite. Say you are concerned that you didn't give the correct number on you credit card. They will have to check it for you. After they do, ask them to change it to in process. Good luck.
  • My Eagle had the blue container fuzz on the shield on the reverse. I am leaving it in the capsule, but at first, I was a bit peeved. I cracked out my loop and hmm, that was the first blue fuzzy dirt on a coin I ever recalled, then DUH, they decided to leave it on the coin.

Frustrating, but its staying in the capsule.......
  • I just spoke witht he mint and they stated they have not SHIPPED any of the 3 coin sets out...... but yet I saw one on the bay that was "in hand" are they lying or what??

• << <i>I just spoke witht he mint and they stated they have not SHIPPED any of the 3 coin sets out...... but yet I saw one on the bay that was "in hand" are they lying or what?? >>

They are lying to you.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    well i just called

Ah, Grasshopper, you have much to learn in the ways of the Force... oops I mean Mint!

• << <i>

<< <i>I just spoke witht he mint and they stated they have not SHIPPED any of the 3 coin sets out...... but yet I saw one on the bay that was "in hand" are they lying or what?? >>

They are lying to you. >>

HAHA the US Government lying to us... NO
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

All this calling and web checking is a waste of time, when dealing with the Mint.

When the box arrives, open it.

If your stuff is in there, then you got it.

Beyond that, is just wasted effort.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I just spoke witht he mint and they stated they have not SHIPPED any of the 3 coin sets out...... but yet I saw one on the bay that was "in hand" are they lying or what?? >>

They are lying to you. >>

HAHA the US Government lying to us... NO >>

Well, my colleague who collects just showed me the set he purchased from the Mint.

So

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

They are liars.
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All this calling and web checking is a waste of time, when dealing with the Mint.

When the box arrives, open it.

If your stuff is in there, then you got it.

Beyond that, is just wasted effort. >>

I couldn't disagree with you more. It is simply good business to check on an order placed with anyone. Whether it be the US Mint or a successful auction or any other product or service paid for but not received. Further, if there is a problem with the order, it can be corrected (i.e. credit card number). Thus, the purchaser won't be suddenly surprised and upset to find his/her order canceled due to a clerical error.

Therefore, I did call the mint. My order is also on hold. I was told by a senior representative that they are waiting for more product to come in. They said my credit card has not been processed because they do not have my order ready. They further explained all but one of my order will be shipped when ready. The only delayed product will be the clad unc. half which is due to ship in mid February. I should see the rest of my order (incl the 3 coin set) ship next week. I was asked to call in the first of next week if I don't see the status on line to change from "on hold" to "in process".
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it stays on HOLD until they are ready to ship. This is obviously different then before when HOLD ment there was a problem.

FWIW, I just placed an order

#27929xxx

• << <i>

<< <i>Well, I got my lowly order of TWO proof silver eagles today. One is really great, while the other has scratches all over the lower reverse. Go figure! >>

Sorry to hear that Gal......were you an early order person?????

Would love to see a pic.....image >>

Yes, Gold, I did order the first day. I didn't receive the half dollars yet. Sorry about a pic. I tried to scan one last night, but my scanner stopped working on me. It wasn't a good day, know what I mean? I'll try tonight and see what happens.

And to Rah1959 - "Hi...are you sure the scratches are on the coin and not the capsule?" - yes, I'm sure they're on the coin. As a matter of fact it's because the dies were greasy and not really "scratches" on them at all.

• Product Name Quantity Price
    (each) Total Item Status In Process

2008 BALD EAGLE $1 SILVER UNC 1 $35.95 $35.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE 3-COIN PRF SET 1 $369.95 $369.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 BALD EAGLE $0.50 CLAD UNC 1 $7.95 $7.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 01/29/2008.
    Order #27803xxx
  • Well, I took the advice, called back to "verify my credit card was correct", got a very nice and helpful person this time, they put me on hold and came back and said they will take it (the order) off hold and put it into processing. Also said I should get everything except the half dollar in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the advice!

Edited to add: From the time I just posted that til this edit, my order status changed from ON HOLD to IN PROCESS, woo hoo, thanks again!

<< <i>Well, I took the advice, called back to "verify my credit card was correct", got a very nice and helpful person this time, they put me on hold and came back and said they will take it (the order) off hold and put it into processing. Also said I should get everything except the half dollar in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the advice!

Edited to add: From the time I just posted that til this edit, my order status changed from ON HOLD to IN PROCESS, woo hoo, thanks again! >>

i just tried exactly the same thing and got the same song and dance from a different rep than the woman who blah blahed at me yesterday about "it's on hold because it's over $300.00 yadda yadda".. i asked this guy if he could just do what you said you got someone to do because it's been two weeks since i sat on hold after re-dialing a bajillion times to place the order.. why is it taking so long?.. and he said there was nothing he could do, that it takes ten to fifteen business days to verify funds.. and that it should be "about next Tuesday" when it gets verified and comes off "hold".. sigh.. i'm getting nowhere with these simpletons.. so i give up and i'll just wait.. he promsied me the set would not be sold out from under me to someone else because it does say "in stock and reserved" but still says "on hold".. grr.. i could try this a hundred more times and talk to a hundred other reps and who knows if i'd get one who would do for me what they did for you.. they need another phone option "press [number] to talk to a very helpful person" because i'm sure not gettin' through to one of those..

when i ordered the 10nd Anniversary Platinum set for TWO GRAND it didn't take this long for them to verify funds, release it from "on hold" to "in process" and ship it to me.. for a not-even $400.00 order, they can't or won't do anything to speed things up..

• I hate to hear that, but I do think it really depends on who you get, I got a really happy sounding bubbly girl today, and somehow she did make it happen. I just called, pressed two, and said I need to verify my credit card information on my order is correct. She asked my name, etc., and actually had my confirmation number before I gave it to her. I did hold in my contempt for them from yesterday image, and like I said, this girl was just really nice, put me on hold came back and said they were moving me off hold and to "in processing". That happened within a couple minutes, and now ALL the boxes are gone, so I am assuming I may even get the half that was on backorder til yesterday. I would just suggest keep trying back once a day if it doesn't come off hold and trying again, or if you are totally sick of it, just wait, it will eventually go out, I did notice you got your order in within 15 minutes of me on page two of this thread! Maybe tomorrow will be your day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file