Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    well keith i knew i should have bid on itimage ok how tough are the 72 angels team issue 5x7's??????????
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    js;

The team issue postcard sets are not that tough, they were printed in huge numbers to be sold that the ballpark. Problem is, many of the fans who bought them don't realize they are actual collectibles today so they don't come up for sale too often. I have a couple (1970 Mets and 1978 Angels), the I just picked up the Mets set for about $40, and I got the '78 Angels at a flea market show maybe 20 years ago for $1 (and the Ryan was autographed but had a tape mark on the back).
  • Options
    The Desert Shield cards are very cool. I just picked up a Bo Jackson in 8 for $36. The Ryans are very expensive raw. No 1 is $77 right now and no 6 is $56.

Ryan DS #6

Ryan DS #1

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    JonB,

The 1992 Score Ryan PSA 10 is going to go for at least $15.25. image

Scott J.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you get a chance please check the card numbers on the back of the Burger King cards that you have and let me know if you have a #1 or only #9.

Donato, my graded copy is card #9. I'll have to go into the "archives" to check my raw copies (I think I have at least 3 more). I'll let you know what I have. But, are you sure that card comes in #1 and #9? I have seen that the 1981 Coke Ryan was issued as #9, but can be found with #1 as well? Oooh, now I'm getting myself confused.

The 3D card is from 1978 I'm pretty sure. I think and was issued by 7-11. These come up on eBay every few months and typically go for well over $50. >>

Keith..
    No, I'm not sure the BK comes in a # 1 as I have never seen one with the #1 on the back. I am only going by the Nolan News.image

Correct on the XOGRAPH 7-11 "Magic Motion" from 1978. If you see others on eBay let me know, because I don't think they are that common. I've only seen 2 on eBay. They went for over $150 and one over $200. After talking with a few of the Nolan News guys I only know of 4 including mine.image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>js;

It was the first Family Fun Angels Ryan I had ever seen on eBay in 6 years. It's only the second copy I know of (Dan Vandefifer has one I think). Maybe Donato has a copy too. I got the whole team set with original header and coupons (for games and activities). The set is beautiful. They are printed on very thin cheap stock so I doubt the Ryan would grade a 9 (it looks it though). I'd call it NM-MT at least. For now, I am not grading it, but I may send in a tall boy order one of these days. >>

Keith...

I do hav a Family Fun Angels Ryan. You are correct they are hard to find and harder to find in really good conditon.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone know what this Nolan Ryan item is and what store chain put it out?

It is only about 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" in size.

It came out in the late 1970's.

Donatoimage

image >>

Actually it looks like some Cracker Jacks motion cards I got about 15-20 years ago. It's exactly the same size and the front looks the same. Can you post a scan of the back?

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know what this Nolan Ryan item is and what store chain put it out?

Donatoimage

image >>

Actually it looks like some Cracker Jacks motion cards I got about 15-20 years ago. It's exactly the same size and the front looks the same. Can you post a scan of the back?

Kevin >>

Kevin...

Here is a scan of the front and back of the mini card.

image >>

Donatoimage

• Options
    Ahh. I think it might be from 7-11. image
  • Options
    Kevin....

VERY NICE Cal Ripken collection.... Very impressive with almost 1000 cards listed.image

Donato

• Options
    Thanks. I just sent in about 500 more on the $5 special. I'm working on a new site design to make it easier to update. After that, it should be updated more often and will hopefully look a little better.

Kevin
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Kevin, I also would like to say what a nice Ripken collection you have. I used to have a few Ripken PSA 10's listed, but decided to sell them to help further my Nolan collection as well as a few other sets I am working on.

By the way, have you received the 93 Finest PSA 10 Ripken you bought from me on ebay a couple weeks ago?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I registered! HEH!
  • Options
    Picture of the night. What can anyone tell me about it, besides the obvious miscut.

Donatoimage

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Aaaagggghhhhh! It's a '72!!!! I want it now! I'll give you Keith's kidneys for it (both of them).
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is amazing! I didn't realize there was a 72 Ryan.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    donato your gonna give us all heart attacksimagenow go find me an 84 topps ryan with his head in the box,a 90 donruss preview,one of them 7 11 slurpee lid w/ straw hole in tack,laughlin,deckle,75 opc,76 opc,dell stamp w/perforation lined up with dashed line,75 sspc superstar #10 and anything else you have that i can use..
    Collector Focus

• Options
    1978 7-11 Magic Motion Sports Spotlight by Xograph

interestingly enough xograph is the company that did the 3-d technology on the earliest kellogs cards

<< <i>

<< <i>

Donatoimage

image >>

Kevin >>

Kevin...

Here is a scan of the front and back of the mini card.

image >>

Donatoimage >>

• Options
    Bob;

Sorry, I gave up one kidney for the Venezuelan and I'm saving the other one to raise funds for the '70 Cloth... nice of Donato to reveal there is a Ryan card out ther by Topps that no one seemed to know existed... to quote Pacino... "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    PM me if anyone wants a psa 9 1978 OPC Ryan. Not the LL, the regular card. $140 delivered.

Bkritz

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I was just curious if any of you Ryan collectors collect ticket stubs? I know there are guys that collect stubs from wins, or homeruns. With so many K's and wins, it would be a huge task. I saw his 297th win at Tiger Stadium. It was in the height of Nolan Mania. I remember that the Rangers pitching rotation was announced on Monday and Ryan was pitching Saturday night. The game sold out in a few hours. It was almost a World Series atmosphere that night at the park.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Jim;

So far, I have shied away from tickets, but I do have one full ducat from his 300th win, and I keep going back and forth if I want to do the ticket thing... I can't make up my mind. image
  • Options

<< <i>donato your gonna give us all heart attacksimagenow go find me an 84 topps ryan with his head in the box,a 90 donruss preview,one of them 7 11 slurpee lid w/ straw hole in tack,laughlin,deckle,75 opc,76 opc,dell stamp w/perforation lined up with dashed line,75 sspc superstar #10 and anything else you have that i can use.. >>

Per John's (jackstraw) request, the picture of the night. I know it's not PSA...Sorryimage

1984 topps Ryan with his head in the box, otherwise known as the unissued proof.image

Donatoimage

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to stop reading this farging thread. Too depressing. image

Donato,
    Can you post something I already own? Puhleeeez?
    Bob
  • Options
    im with you bob this is depressingimage i think donato and keith actually talk on the phone so maybe they are trying to knock you off so one of them can get the 70 cloth? we may have a script to a lifetime movie?i think my wife would off me if i had 3 browsers open a phone in my ear and a stack of nolan ryan cards in front of me? oh did i forget sports center on the tv and 1410 on the radio?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Bob...

Way back someone started calling me the "Don"... I'm obviously of Italian descent, now I've brought in some real Cosa Nostra muscle with Donato... you better watch your back, I think we're about to conduct some "business" wichyou...

Also, I am turning all Family duties over to Donato... he is the real "Don" of the Ryan underworld... when you meet him, please kiss his cheek.
  • Options
    scott- thats a good looking opc you got on ebay now...what are you expecting it to go for? i know my bid wasnt enough.
  • Options
    ranger63,

I have no idea what the 68 OPC will go for, I just know it won't be anywhere near what I payed for it. image

Keith,

Did you see that someone is making smarta$$ posts under the id of "Con50"?

Ha! Ha! I got #2100!!! Yeah, I know who cares. image

Scott J.

• Options
    I like the new Basic Set! I just added in some stragglers I had. Fun! BJ emailed me that they will be working on the Topps Set next!
  • Options
    I think I only have 2 of the cards that were just added, but they are both very low pop 10's. When my submission grades come in, I should be back to only missing the first 4 cards.
  • Options
    Pictures of the night. A 1975 SSPC Nolan Ryan card # 10 and Vada Pinson Jr card # 9.

Why the Vada Pinson card?image

Answer: Behind Pinson's right shoulder is non other than Nolan Ryan.image

Donatoimage

• Options
    Donato;

Have you ever seen that '75 SSPC #10 with better centering? I have only seen 2 copies in 20 years and both were pretty much the same. There is one PSA 9 copy out there. Wonder how that one is centered?

1975 SSPC Superstars #10 Ryan

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    He looks kind of funny in that picture.image
  • Options
    Congrats to Keith, for being King of all the Nolan Ryan hills. image

Scott J.
  • Options
    Scott;

Thanks. I'm enjoying the view while I can. I have a feeling my stay at the top of the Basic Set will be VERY temporary courtesy of JonB!
  • Options

<< <i>Donato;

Have you ever seen that '75 SSPC #10 with better centering? I have only seen 2 copies in 20 years and both were pretty much the same. There is one PSA 9 copy out there. Wonder how that one is centered? >>

Keith...

As you can see from mine it is terribly centered. image The card did not interest me much so I never actively pursued a better copy, but from what I remember seeing they are generally off center. I don't remember seeing a copy better than the PSA 8 that you have. image

I may try and find a better copy for myself. Although it may be difficult because I don't usually see these at the shows or eBay. The SSPC card # 187 and the SSPC Nolan or Noland Checklist cards are much more common.

Donato

• Options
    Wow! If you've had trouble finding it, then it must be a tough card. My raw copy has the same exact centering too. Funny, I found one many years ago at a shop on Main Street in Hyannis. Then, I stumbled on another one in a Ryan lot auction on eBay last year. I think that is the one I graded. I have no idea how the "SSPC Superstar" set was distributed. I do know it is a true 1975 release as opposed to the 1976 set that PSA labels as '75s.
  • Options
    Keith... don't be too worried. You should have at least a few months of being at the top of the basic set.
  • Options
  • Options
    well i guess psa doesn't grade box bottoms?????? 5 sent in and five got the big no holder size? oh well it another 5 freebies for my little pile. overall pretty happy especially the metz bakery,91 opc's and the fleer stamp(small).
    PSA Order Status for Submission # 4231152

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 12067322 1983 FLEER STAMPS NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    2 12067323 * REFUND DO NOT GRADE N/A Not Holdered, No Holder Available
    3 12067324 * REFUND DO NOT GRADE N/A Not Holdered, No Holder Available
    4 12067325 * REFUND DO NOT GRADE N/A Not Holdered, No Holder Available
    5 12067326 1990 WONDER BREAD STAR 16 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8
    6 12067327 * REFUND DO NOT GRADE N/A Not Holdered, No Holder Available
    7 12067328 1990 TOPPS 176 CARLTON FISK BIG BASEBALL 9
    8 12067329 1990 TOPPS 204 GREG MADDUX BIG BASEBALL 9
    9 12067330 1990 TOPPS 171 NOLAN RYAN BIG BASEBALL 9
    9 12067331 1990 TOPPS 171 NOLAN RYAN BIG BASEBALL 10
    9 12067332 1990 TOPPS 171 NOLAN RYAN BIG BASEBALL 9
    10 12067333 1990 KAYBEE KINGS 28 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    11 12067334 1991 O-PEE-CHEE 1 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    12 12067335 1991 O-PEE-CHEE 6 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    13 12067336 * REFUND DO NOT GRADE N/A Not Holdered, No Holder Available
    14 12067337 1992 STADIUM CLUB 770 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    15 12067338 1991 CLASSIC T80 NOLAN RYAN 300 GAME WINNER-SERIES II 9
    16 12067339 1992 MOO TOWN SNACKERS 20 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    17 12067340 1992 ULTRA 141 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8
    18 12067341 1993 HUMPTY DUMPTY 16 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    19 12067342 1993 METZ BAKERIES NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    20 12067343 1993 KING-B 17 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    21 12067344 1993 U.D. FUN PACKS 26 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    22 12067345 1993 U.D. FUN PACKS 33 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8
    23 12067346 1993 U.D. FUN PACKS 160 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8

Date Received: 12/07/2004
    Date of Grades Posted: 01/20/2005
    Date Shipped: 01/20/2005

Collector Focus

• Options
    I haven't posted here for awhile, but do need my occasional dose of Nolan. Curious: when was the last time a '72 Venezuelan was offered? How much?

Also: what are the top five toughest Ryan cards (not in terms of population or grade)
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    I am by no means an expert, but the card I see least often from the basic set is probably the 71 Topps (PSA 8's anyway). There are however many, many more cards that are A LOT harder to find. I think Keith or Donato would have to answer that for you in terms of all Nolan cards other than the basic set.
  • Options
    Keith,

Oop's I guess I had some of those new Basic set cards already. image

67Standup,

I think Keith picked up one for around $700+, last year, I haven't seen one since, but I also haven't been looking.

What are the toughest 5 Ryan cards irregardless of population or grade? What other criteria is there?

My Top five would be:

1) 1968 Venezualen Ryan Rookie
    2) 1970 Topps Cloth Sticker #197 Ryan Saves the Day
    3) 1974 Topps Deckle Edge
    4) 1973 Topps Candy Lid
    5) 1993 Finest Promo Refractor

Scott J.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't posted here for awhile, but do need my occasional dose of Nolan. Curious: when was the last time a '72 Venezuelan was offered? How much?

Also: what are the top five toughest Ryan cards (not in terms of population or grade) >>

Hi 67standup...

I've only seen one 1972 Venezuelan posted on eBay about 4 years and know a few people that own one. I paid $500 for mine and a few subscribers to the Nolan News paid anywhere from $600-$800 for one.

As far as what are the toughest Ryan items (ask 5 Ryan collectors and you'll probably get 5 different answers) here's my list based on my experience. I will try to expain my answers.

1.) 1970 Topps Cloth. - I know of only one for sure. Maybe one other. Never seen it offered for public sale. Person wanted over $10,000 for it and he really wasn't looking to sell at that time. He was teasing me with it. image

2.) 1972 Topps Test Issue Candy Lid. - Most people are unaware of this Candy Lid which is the Promo to the more common 1973 Candy Lid. It is not yet listed in the 2005 Standard Catalog of Baseball. I only know of one and I am the proud owner of it. image

3.) 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo. - Not the "Dufex" Promo limited to 1,000 but another variation most collectors don't even know about. It is actually stamped "PROMO" on the back. I know of only one. It was offered on ebay about 5 years ago. The reserve was set for $5,000. image

4.) 1973 Topps Comic. - I know of a couple of collectors that own one, but I've only seen it offered once as a complete set never as a single. I believe one of our members here is the proud owner of that set. But I'm not sure.

5.) 1977 MSA 7-11 Cup Lid. - I know of only 2. One was listed on eBay. I own that copy. image The other copy that I know of is owned by a Nolan News subscriber, but I have never seen it.

Hope this helps you with your dose of Nolan.....Donato image

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    So, what do you guys think?

1990 Donruss Variation?
  • Options
    i guess its no different than the fleer canadian variation? the only diffrence is ptd in canada. imo there isn't much of a difference and there is no way psa would designate them as such.
    as far as the hardest ryans for me other than the obvious venz, opc's, disc and topps test issues.
    81 topps coke mint and centered has eluded me. i see them on ebay but they are all off centered?
    85 topps in a psa 9 doesnt ever come up for sale or at least it seems that way?the topps and opc stickers are seldom offered in slabs.
    88 topps,90 donruss,90 topps big,81,82,84 and 91 opc's have yet to see them other than scotts 81 which i didn't want to get in a bidding war with keith over.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Toughest Ryans out there? Here are a few that I have trouble with (aside from the obvious ones and nothing that I already have):

1. 1981 Coke Astros. Not only is it always off-center, but it is the top card in the cello too, so the corners are usually smashed. I have bought at least a dozen on eBay (anyone want a copy?). Card #9 is the common one, but there is a variation with card #1 that just passed on eBay and I forgot to bid!

2. 1970 OPC #198 Mets Celebrate. I see EXMT copies occasionally, but no one seems to have a NM-MT copy.

3. 1982 FBI Food Disc. I've never even seen it. I saw a dealer in Philly with a bunch, but no Ryan.

4. 1983 OPC #361 Super Veteran. All badly tilted. I have a PSA 8 and I think it's the highest grade.

5. 1975 OPC #500. I have all the OPCs from the '70s and '80s in at least PSA 8 grade except this one. It keeps eluding me.

On another note, that 1990 Donruss variation happened often with Donruss wax packs and factory sets in the '80s and '90s. These sets are so ubiquitous, no one seems to care about most: 1988 has a reverse tartan pattern, 1989 has variations in the rainbow blend, 1990 has dot variations, and I think there are variations and '87 and '91 too but I can't say for sure. If you go through a stack of any you may have, you could very well have these variations and not know it.
  • Options
    With my recent submission finally back, I have a few extra Ryans available to anyone who cliams them:

1988 Topps Big Baseball #29 PSA 9 $8.00
    1990 OPC #1 PSA 8 $3.00
    1990 Topps Stickercard #58 (with Bo Jackson sticker) PSA 9 $7.00
    1991 Post Cereal #17 PSA 9 $12.00
    1992 Topps Micro #4 PSA 8 $3.00
    1993 Bleachers 23kt Strikeout King PSA 8 $5.00 (it's real gold!)

Shipping is free and I am open to any and all trades!
  • Options

<< <i>
    2. 1970 OPC #198 Mets Celebrate. I see EXMT copies occasionally, but no one seems to have a NM-MT copy.
    >>

Keith,

Mine could be considered NM in the raw world, but would only grade a 6.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Keith,

You must have missed it, but Steve didn't, he won my 1970 Topps #198 Mets Celebrate PSA 8 last weekend.

Donato,

Man, you are right, there's 3 out of 5 that you named that I didn't even know existed. They would definitely not be for the impovrished collector.

Scott J.