Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭
    my first ryan going to be added ! does this give me a vote on which is allowed in the sets or do i have to have a certain % before i get a vote?

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,797
    jackstraw;

Your opinion is welcome! Please read through the NRMS Survey Results Thread to get you up to speed on the votes from the other 20 members of the group chimed in. Scott has been polishing up a nice new list that we will weight and submit to BJ. Hopefully, this new set will be posted by PSA within a few months.

Nice to have another collector jump on board the "Express"!
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • That 76 looks nice - way to start off.
  • Jackstraw,

Welcome to the Official Nolan Ryan mafia club. Keith is in charge of all "offers that can't be refused". image
    Jeff is in charge of keeping fresh Ryan threads on the boards. image I'm in charge of ahh nothing. image

Yes, as an official Ryan member you get a vote on the fate of the Ryan sets.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    -------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Keith:

Are you in charge of the votes for weighting? How are you going to do it?

Justin
    (on sabbatical)
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
    Justin;

Nice to hear from you! Where's the sabbatical?

Right now, Scott has the Excel file and he is reviewing the current PSA weights and updating as needed. He'll send the Excel file to me (and anyone else who'd like to help) to finalize the weights. After that, BJ and Joe wil have to approve the weights before the new and improved NRMS is posted.

If you wanna help, just let Scott or me know and we'll make sure you get a copy of the spreadsheet when it's ready.

Enjoy the sabbatical!
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Hi Justin,
    I have screen name envy. I absolutely love The Family Guy.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 1,954 ✭✭
    Purty nice card jackstraw! My job is to check up on the Ryan gang so they don't take over the board. image
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage
    1977 Topps BB 8+
    1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • By the way, Jeff. You are staying pretty active on Ebay considering how you are slowing down, lol. It's great to have the Family strong and growing stronger by the day.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Yeah, I am picking up a few things here and there. Before, if I needed a card, I would go for it. Now, I am just kind of randomly picking up some rarer stuff. Got the '91 today, and I have some '92 Fleers in the stack to be submitted, so that Thomas card actually did me some good for comparison's sake.
  • Hey do you think PSA will grade this rare Ryan item? image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan stuff (68-94)
  • Is that a venezuelan Red X?

• Ahh, I was having trouble with the link, its fixed now.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -----------------------------------------------
  • PSA would grade it "Delicious"
  • Scott-

I don't know if you have picked up your 93 refractor yet, but one has surfaced on Naxcom. Pretty O/C, but the price should be pretty negotiable due to that, and his starting offer gives you an idea of what ballpark he is looking for. I would think that this one could be had for around 550-600 (what the OC one on ebay went for but fialed to meet the reserve), and possibly lower.
  • hi guys,i was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the 1985 rub downs. i have a ryan i want to get graded but the back protecter as come loose at the corner a bit and i was wondering if that would effect the grade.any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    i would say yes that will lower the grade. i have a ripken sticker they graded a 6 because it had the same type of thing with one of the corners. i stole this image from mikeschmidt here on the boards and maybe we can get some info from him. it may be against the rules for a mike schmidt fan to comment on a nolan ryan only thread because ryan made him look like a little leaguer everytime he faced himimagejust kidding i have no clue what schmidts numbers were against ryan?

• Well, Jackstraw - since you started the "hijack", don't mind if I chime in here.

Mike Schmidt's crowning moment as it relates to Nolan Ryan:

April 27, 1988: Nolan Ryan no-hits the Phillies for 8 1/3 innings before Mike Schmidt singles and Ryan ends up getting no decision in Houston's eventual 3–2, 10-inning win. Two outs from a no-hitter, Schmidt in the last full season of his career, and he steals No-Hitter #8 away from Ryan, even taking the loss away from him!!

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    schmidt probably bunted? it just jumped off the bat and blooped over the drawn in infieldimage
    MS;
    That's alright, every dog has its day... but Schmitty also got K'd by Nolie 15 times!

Scott;
    I don't think PSA will grade that since it's it in its original condition... I think you'd have to submit it with the ice cream still on the stick! image
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Man, you think Fedex has refrigeration packs so that I could send an intact Good Humor bar to PSA?

I was kind of thinking that it would come back as "Authentic" but, "Evid of Eating". image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
  • I love how we crack ourselves up and everybody else kind of ignores us.

Evidence of eating....what nonsense
  • Artists rendering

• Jeff, you killin me. image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------------
  • image @ thread.

Jeff, I threw in the graded Thomas to hopefully inspire a Thomas set one day, lol. You only have 975 cards to go.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
    picked up
    100 84 ryan sticker lot
    94 stad club rainbow foil
    25 91 bowmans
    82 topps psa 9
    83 topps psa 9
    84 topps psa9
    82 donruss psa 9
    83 donruss psa 9
    84 donruss psa 9
    89 ud psa 9
    89 score masters psa 9
    i am done for awhile
    brent i have a 90 o pee chee frank thomas rookie psa 9 for trade bait.
    Just got back from the Sox game (nice slam by Nomar, HRs by Manny and Ortiz, and a stellar effort by Schilling) a great night and I see that Scott has landed a whale -- the 1/1 PSA 1979 Ryan! Very nice pickup at what seems to be a fair price. Congrats on a helluva week!

image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Didn't see any of you guys in on this one. This one stunned me not only that it went so high, but that the reserve wasn't even met. I'm willing to bet the reserve was $250. It would be woth $100 alone not to have the hassle of sending it to DNA.

1991 UD Ryan Auto PSA 8

I'm a Bobo for not posting a link.
    this would be nicer autograph if they put the holo on the back? thoughts?

1978 topps
    Jeff;
    I did see that 91 UD auto... I was going to bid, but I went to the Sox game last night and I forgot all about it! Yikes!

jackstraw;
    That holo looks awful! It absolutely destroys the look of the auto and card. You're right, they should have stuck it on the back.
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • I really don't mind the hologram - if you read the auction, the card is from the Nolan Ryan Foundation (in Alvin), so that gives it some credibility. And it's not like it was just slapped on there - it is well centered on the front, doesn't hide any major details of the card, and it lets you know right away that the piece is different from a regular Nolan Ryan auto. card. I would definitely much rather have the card like that than just a plain old PSA 6.
  • Thanks Keith,

I figured last night that I would rather spend $1600 on a 1/1 1979 PSA 10, then p!$$ away $1400-$1600 on a 1/11 1975 PSA 9. I just don't understand why the 75 card keeps getting run up this high when the population has tripled since the one that RedSoxJeff bought. Just wait until a 75 PSA 10 comes along, then all those 75 PSA 9's won't be worth squat.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Scott; I agree with you. The 1979 is a superior card for the same money. And I think you got it for a very reasonable price. Plus, that has to be the lowest end 1975 PSA 9 I've ever seen posted for sale. It is really is insane that it is up to $1400. It's not even worth a grand in terms of eye appeal. I'll wait for a better one to sell for $600 once that elusive PSA 10 copy surfaces (it'll probably be from DSL!).
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
    there are a few i would like to bottom feed on in psa 9's 74,75,77 and 78 and if a 76 o pee chee ever came up for sale ?
    jackstraw;

Impossible to bottom feed on a couple of those in PSA 9... the 75, 78, and 76 OPC are always in great demand! 75s have been going for a minimum of $1300 when available, the 78s go for about $350+ when available, and the last 76 OPC to go was a PSA 8 that went for $560! It may be the third hardest OPC to locate in high grade after the 68 and the 74.
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Great pick up Scott, and I do agree that it was the better use of your dollars. I am pulling for some 10's to surface for a lot of these high dollar 9's so that I can get in on the action.

I managed to save myself $30 on a Jiffy Pop 10 by getting outbid a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store

• << <i>there are a few i would like to bottom feed on in psa 9's 74,75,77 and 78 and if a 76 o pee chee ever came up for sale ? >>

I don't think there are any Ryan 1976 OPC's in 9. 1976 OPC is the greatest bear out there in terms of 1970s OPC, I think. I was very lucky to find the 1/1 Schmidt PSA 8 a few months ago for what I thought was a bargain price. I still see some of this unopened - but having gone through a couple of packs - I'm confident that this is one of those issues that will not have any huge future surges in high-grade population.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    I don't think there are any Ryan 1976 OPC's in 9.

MS... I have this card in PSA 9 (OC)... I think it is the highest graded as there are no straight 9s.
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭
    keith , your making me jealous, aren't you going to the game tomorrow. at the price of tickets and a trip to fenway , how do you have any money left to buy ryan cardsimage
    pack;

Mostly dumb luck! I did pay for my tix to last night's game (got them from a friend with season tix on last minute's notice)... I almost called you to go, but I owed an invite to one other fella who accepted, so now I bumped you to #1 on my "guys to ask when I get tix" list! Tomorrow's game I got the tix gratis.

But, you're right, I cannot afford to buy tickets whenever I want and buy Ryan stuff too (show me the guy who can)! After buying the Venezuelans (they are shipping topday, yay!!), I will be on a strict diet of Ramen noodles, cheese curls, and water. The kids can live on Speghettios for a few months!
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Hey Keith,

How come the Red Sox played so horrible against the Giants and the Rockies?

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 1,954 ✭✭
    One of the other threads mentioned '82 Fleer stamps. I checked my oddball stuff and have a pretty nice looking Ryan . Do any of you guys need it? I also have a Bench and a ???? Schmidt ??

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage
    1977 Topps BB 8+
    1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Magellan,

What do you want for the 82 Fleer Ryan stamp? Just email me.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------------
  • Mudflap and Ryan cohorts - congrats. Looks like this thread will have long legs. I'll check some of my oddball stuff/inserts against the Ryan master set and let you know what I have in case you want it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
    Dirty Harry... so what you're saying is that "you're gonna make my day"? Thanks!

Scott... the Sox always stink on the west coast and in interleague games in particluar. They made the lowly Rockies look like the '27 Yankees. There's no explaining it.
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Keith,

I'd definitely like to help with the new weights. I figure all the input we can get will be for the better! As for the sabbatical, I've had a few other things come into life that I needed to concentrate on... mainly real estate. I'm taking a few classes to get my broker's license on top of working at a local Coldwell Banker office. And even on top of that, I got a quarter of a season ticket package to the Round Rock Express (Astros' AA affiliate). Doesn't leave too much free time and I haven't had the eBay urges lately. My checking account is very appreciative of the break! image Don't worry, I'm still in it for the long haul!

Brent,

Actually, I made up this screen name before Family Guy came out. I was playing a video game when I was a kid and when trying to change the default name "Player 1", my friend tried to grab the controller out of my hand it got changed to "Qmayer 1". I figured it was pretty unique and I wouldn't have to worry about anyone else having it image And yes, I will write that in my life story image

mudflap,

That artist's rendering is hilarious! Graded "DELICIOUS"... that has to be better than a 10!
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
    how tough are the 90 topps tv all star cards?
    jackstraw;
    Those were few and far between on ebay o while back. I remember a PSA 9 copy going for more than $30!! But lately somebody has been dumping off a horde of BGS/BCCG copies on eBay. I picked up one of each (a BGS 9.5 and a BCCG 10) for $10 each. I'm sure at least one will cross to a 9. Long story short, the value has completely dried up.
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!
  • Hi Justin,

Shoot me an email address and when I'm done with the Ryan spreadsheet this weekend I'll send you and Keith a copy.

Man, once you get that real estate thing going, you'll have some serious funds for Ryan collecting. image

Take it easy,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Justin;
    Glad to hear you are well and still interested in Ryan even if you are on the sidelines. Hope to see you back to action soon!
    image Ring-a-ding-ding!