• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    i am going to say yes if you crack it.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Steve;

I am going to say no on that '75... if BVG didn't give the corners a 9, then PSA won't bump it up as they are even tougher on corners than BVG... if they did give the corners a 9, maybe... it's close, but unfortunately, I say no cigar.
  • Options
    so who is linkswarrior on ebay? honestly i didn't think i would outbid keith and scott on the 85D, and then this guy comes in and outbids us all
  • Options
    not sure who he is but i see him along with a few other guys on 90% of the ryan items i bid on.
  • Options
    his name is scott and he lives in smithville texas
    Collector Focus

• Options
    smithville... i'm in fort worth, i wonder how far away he is

... apparently about 3 or 4 hours south... not too far from Jeff though
  • Options
    I'm going to take a poll...

Who thinks this would get an "OC" and who thinks it would be slabbed as "MK"

by the way, the spots are dust spots on my scanner, not on the card
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Can anyone tell me what company produced the cards?
    2. What year were they given out?
    3. At what card show were they given out?
    4. How many cards were printed to be given out at the card show?
    5. How many of the cards were signed by Nolan Ryan?

1. produced by bleachers
    2. 1990
    3. arlington national
    4. 1000
    5. 100

complete guess? >>

Hi John....

Good try... but incorrect. Here are the answers.

1. Produced by Sports Collectibles Promotions.
    2. 1992.
    3. Houston Show.
    4. 25,000 cards produced.
    5. 250 cards signed. One out of every hundred cards produced. (100, 200, 300, 400 etc....)

Here's a pic including the back.

Donato image
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>what does the 90 rangers smokey the bear card look like? >>

John...

Here is a scan of the 1990 Rangers Smokey the Bear.

Donato image
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

<< <i>does a 90 o pee chee box bottom exist? i thought they were only produced in factory form? >>

John...

Yes it does....Here is a picture of the 1990 OPC box bottom. The front is EXACTLY the same as the Topps box bottom.

The difference is the back of the card has the 1990 O-PEE-CHEE PTD. IN CANADA copyright.

Donato image

• Options
    I figured this would be a good place to get my 900th post.
  • Options
    does anyone have an extra 90 opc box bottom?that is the only one i need to have them all.
    donato how big is that smokey's card? i need one of them too.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    jon
    oc for sure! if your talking about the white line on the side it probably wont get a mk for that?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>does anyone have an extra 90 opc box bottom?that is the only one i need to have them all.
    donato how big is that smokey's card? i need one of them too. >>

John...

The 1990 Smokey the Bear card is 3" x 5". There is also a 1989 Regular size ( 2-1/2" x 3-1/2") Smokey the Bear card and another 1989 oversized Smokey the Bear card that is 4" x 6".

I do not have an extra 90 opc box bottom card but, Jon Miselnicky (beefmaster on eBay) might have an extra card or a complete box folded.

Donato image

• Options
    who's going ? maybe us east coasters can meet?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    that link doesn't work
  • Options
    Collector Focus

• Options
    nope, lol
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    kitty took it

• Options
    can anyone post a link that works?

here... I'll give it a try Link

edited: SUCCESS!!!
  • Options
    Ryan fellas,

I got a favor to ask of you. I know you guys went through a lot of work to update your basic registery. I'm on the puckett registery. Anyway I think there are 5-6 cards on there that don't belong. Who did you guys talk to get a difinitive answer on what is basic and what is not.
    Here's a link if you want to take a peek
    Puckett Basic Registery

Here is a list of waht I don't think belongs
    1988 Score Glossy
    1990 Classic
    1990 Donruss AS
    1991 Classic
    1994 Collector's Choice (not base card)
    1994 SP Die cut
    1995 Finest Refractor
  • Options
    I think when making or editing the basic sets it is a group effort of the people currently holding those sets in the registry. The 2 Classic cards could be up for discussion though, but I wouldn't include them. As for the other cards, no way.
  • Options
    Hi Twinsthreepeat,

I agree with Jon, you should work with who ever else is collecting the set. That way, while everyone may not agree with the changes they were at least included in the process. As for the specific cards:

1988 Score Glossy (Master Set only, its a parallel off the main 1988 Score issue)
    1990 Classic (Master Set only, Classic is not recognized as a major card manufactuer)
    1990 Donruss AS (Master Set only, its not the main Kurby Puckett card of that set)
    1991 Classic (Master Set only, see above)
    1994 Collector's Choice (not base card) (Basic/Master Set if its the main Kurby Puckett card of the set)
    1994 SP Die cut (Master Set only, it a parallel off the main 1994 SP issue)
    1995 Finest Refractor (Master Set only, its a parallel off the main 1995 Finest issue)

That's my 2 cents,

Scott J.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What sjeanblanc said.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the Nolan Ryan picture of the night? I miss seing some of the random and crazy stuff you guys have in your collection...
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picture for tonight. For the Ryan oddball/promo card collector.

These two Nolan Ryan cards were produced as promos and given out at a card show.

1. Can anyone tell me what company produced the cards?
    2. What year were they given out?
    3. At what card show were they given out?
    4. How many cards were printed to be given out at the card show?
    5. How many of the cards were signed by Nolan Ryan?

Good Luck... image

Donato image >>

Damn, I should've known the answer to this, since I just found one of 'em (unautographed) in my Nolan Albumimage

Steve
  • Options
    AJW,

You wanted a pic of the night so here you go! Its a modern card, but it is the only PSA 10 (from my own submission)...
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to get it to #2,400imageimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    Nick-

I've seen that card recently with a BIN of $10. May even still be on the bay, or that very card.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my grades from my PSA membership renewal. I cracked my 1972 PSA 8 Nolan Ryan and it bumped to a 9 (as expected). I've been having decent luck cracking 8's from my old "grader of death" submissions and getting them into their correct holders. I'll post an image when I get the card back.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    JonB;

Howdya do with your auctions? You had some good stuff. Unofrtunately, I did not track any and did not even get a chance to throw down a bid.
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    They did ok, I had several things not sell that I thought would. I had a 1986 Topps Glossy Send-Ins Nolan Ryan #45 PSA 10 (which is a 1/1 in PSA 10) that didn't even get 1 bid at $39.99.
  • Options
    JonB,

You have to find something Fgnipple will bid on, man he and ufgator were all over that 1985 Donruss PSA 10!.

Scott J.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that the 1973 Topps Candy lid sold for $255. The buyer was a private collector, I think his name was Corvette something?) Was this a very good buy at $250 or should it have gone for more?
    As far as the Nolan Ryan ticket- do I hear $25 from anyone? HA-

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

I think Mudflipper got his 73 Candy lid for $100, when he haggled someone down on NaxCom and his was in
    better condition than the one on eBay. I also think I remember one auctioning on eBay three months ago for between $150-175.

I'll bid $25.01 for the Nolie No-No ticket. image

Scott J.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Scott- So the candy lid did actually better than three months ago? Wow, the Nolan Ryan stuff sure seems to do well.
    Thanks for the bid of $25.01.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    There's another Ryan candy lid on eBay as we speak...er type.
  • Options
    Scott,

Yeah I saw that, I had a snipe set for $153, apparently not high enough. Oh well, maybe next time.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I actually was the one who got outbid on that candylid. My high bid was $251. The one that is up there now is a miscut, I'm amazed someone would pay upwards of $100 for one that looks like that.
  • Options
    JonB,

Well I guess I'll have to wait for at least 4 more 85 Donruss PSA 10's to show up because, you, Keith, fgnipple, will all outbid me at $125. image

Scott J.

• Options
    lol
  • Options
    Quite a price for this PSA 8 '71 OPC Ryan, especially since I purchased mine in December for $221.

'71 OPC Ryan PSA 8
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I just got my 1990 Fleer PSA 10 of Nolan (1 of 38). Gotta love cheap 10s. image
    I'm not sending a pic of it. Probably almost everyone here already has one.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Well, Legacy just listed a PSA 9 of the Ryan '69, and '70. Its a shame they listed them because usually everything they sell goes for a lot more than the ebay average image
  • Options
    67Standup,

Guess I should have used a Reserve on my 71 OPC Ryan PSA 8. image

Scott J.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    andrew , I think that price isn't too bad. you just happened to steal yours from scott image the joys of ebay , patience pays.

I just bought a card last night for $57 . one sold for $305 3 days before and another sold for $179 the day before .
  • Options

<< <i>67Standup,

Guess I should have used a Reserve on my 71 OPC Ryan PSA 8. image

Scott J. >>

Oops, sorry Scott. Anyway, I wouldn't have gone much higher than what I paid as I already had a PSA 7. That card later sold for $131.

Now who's got that PSA 10? image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    67Standup,

You have nothing to be sorry about, I'm the idiot that lets expensive cards go for whatever they go for, you
    I know at least have an appreciation for the OPC cards, so I'm glad it found a home with you.

Scott J.
  • Options
    I'm sure some of you saw this beauty listed:

My question to the seller:

You asked:
    "What are the subgrades on that beauty of a card? Centering looks like a 10 for sure."

His response:

SURFACE 10 CENTERING 10 CORNERS 9.5 EDGES 9.5

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    image I just found this thread yesterday and noticed a discussion about this card so I figured I'd upload of pic so everyone knows the card is safe image