Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    That blank back card is kinda neat, but the seller is really being slimy in the way they are advertising it... PSA wouldn't actually grade a card like that because of the blank back... makes me laugh to read "Appraised at $250" as a card like this has no real value beyond what a Ryan freak might pay for it... all that said, for $15 it's a neat novelty.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If anybody wants any of my ryans including SGC(Except the 76) lmk before they go to EbayimageSome things that are more important to me right now have come up and I would like to take care of them first before I spiral into debt again.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jackstraw,

Sorry to hear that you've encountered one of those bumps in the road, that puts collecting in the back seat.

Ebay in general and the Ryan market in particular are not real strong right now. Not sure if its a trend that will get worse or not, but if its not a PSA 10, noone wants it. PSA 10's are going for $10-30, because 4SC has flooded the market, the only exceptions are tough PSA 10's like 85 Donruss, 85 Fleer, 86 Fleer, and 88 Topps. 1977 Topps Ryan PSA 9's have in the last year dropped almost 50% in value, 76 Ryan PSA 9 has dropped 30%, 79 Ryan PSA 9 have dropped 42%, 80 Ryan PSA 9 have dropped 45%, only the 75 and 78 in PSA 9 are going strong. Even the vaunted 93 Refractor has lost serious market presence, raw ones now sell for less than $400, and the last PSA 9 went for $1300-1400 if I'm remembering correctly.

If I could help I would but I'm in holding pattern, I can't spend any more than I already have and I'm terrified to put what I could sell on eBay, because stuff is just not selling at any where near what I have in some of my cards.

Hopefully you'll be able to hold onto your cards, but if you can't, just beware the eBay waters don't have as many fish in them as they did even six months ago.

Scott J.
  • Options
    Scott tell me about it!4SC and DSL have absoulutly ruined for the little guy that collects and sells a little. I have no idea how he is making any money with what he is doing? I listed about 35 cards in the last couple of weeks and half didn't sell because 4SC has a bigillion at BIN's of 5.00?I owe ebay 22.00 bucks and that doesn't include the paypal fees! I got a whopping 22.00 for the 91 Donruss Preview that I paid 80 for and another 5.00 to have graded and it came back an 8image I thought that was a tough card? The 81 Coke that is perfectly centered(but its an 8) I can't give away!The 90 Wonder bread which is red boardered and tough as nails (got an 8) couldn't even get a sniff for 6.00? I am sure 4SC will have 7 10's on those here soon!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick,

ESPN Classic has Nolan's 6th No hitter on right now!!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    Jackstraw,

That's harsh on the 91 Preview PSA 8, but I feel I'd have the same problem with my 1993 Pinnacle Dufex Ryan PSA 10, I paid $210 plus another $10 grading it and in this climate it would probably sell for $20 if I was lucky.

SDSportsfan,

I wish I was able to get in front of a TV to watch it. image

Scott J.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scott,

Yea, I just got home about a half hour ago...flipping through the channels about 15 minutes ago, found the game in the 7th inning. They just finished the 8th inning, so it'll be over in 20 minutesimage

Man, I sure do miss watchin' Nolie pitch a gameimage Listening to him here, he sounds like one of them female tennis players with all his grunting every time he throws the ol' heaterimage

Steve
  • Options
    Love the grunt! Too bad I missed that no-no. image
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Nolie fans. Just saved this page from slipping to page 2 (again).

SPAM alert: I just had some grades posted on a modern submission. #570612 ZIP 21047. Both Nolan Ryan cards on the submission will be for sale.

The 1982 OPC is not a superbly centered 8, but it is very worhty of the grade.
    The 1982 Topps on that submission is actually going to replace the current 9 in my '82 set (it's just a tad nicer), so the 9 in my set will be the one for sale.

rugbymarine in the 1982 Topps registry (there's a scan).

Im not looking to make a killing, and it's just two cards, but anyone interested in them (or other cards on the submission) please PM me.

Thanks for checkin.

Ian
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    In the words of Comic Book Guy:

Best. Auction. Ever.

I just can't let this one slide - let's give it a Sean Salisbury style breakdown.

<< <i>Nolan Ryan Topps 1969 Rookie verbally committed PSA 10 >>

The title says it all. This is verbally committed to be a PSA 10. Why isn't it? Read on...

<< <i>1969 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie Perfect Mint verbally committed card - then at the show he got the 'you can't give out a 10' look from the boss. >>

Not only is the year wrong, but I like how he throws the "then" part in. Normally, that would indicate that some action is taking place at first, and the "then" indicating the action that happened next. This just goes from being a card, then he got dirty look from the boss. Who is he? Why isn't the boss grading the cards? Has everything gone mad?

<< <i>I have had Experts look at it and they have always rated it Gem Mint but when confronted with the vig for the rating they have backed down against the card they were selling >>

Zig? Make your time, what you say? Someone set us up the bomb. How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us.

<< <i>This is the nicest Ryan rookie not professionally owned right now >>

So what do you do for a living? I'm a professional baseball card owner, thanks for asking.

<< <i> And help me buy my houseboat >>

Another falls victim to the classic card/houseboat paradox.

<< <i>I want a big boat and you can help pay for it and make money at the same time by trusting a true Colector who wants to get out now that I have 3 girsl who want nothing to do with these things.... >>

Looks like he got really rushed there at the end. I love the trifecta of the long run-on sentence, the mention of the houseboat (the bigger, the better, because who wants to get stuck with a crappy houseboat?), and the "girsl" who want ning to do with these things.
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    SMR on a 1969 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 9 - $1100

SMR on a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie PSA 9 - $5500

Auction for a Nolan Ryan Topps 1969 Rookie verbally committed PSA 10 ...

....priceless.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    that auction is hilarious.. thanks for the link.. i think it was Nolan himself that got dirty looks from the boss..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

• Options
    This auction in pictures:

• Options
    Mudflipper,

You are killing me!! image

Scott J.
  • Options
    That was some funny reply.image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Well I just got back the grades from my bulk submission. Overall I am pretty disappointed, but I did manage to get a few good grades:

1976 TOPPS 330 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9 (bumped my 8 to a 9)
    1990 SCORE 250 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10 (WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    1993 FLAIR 286 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10 (for sale)
    1991 U.D. RYAN HEROES 12 NOLAN RYAN 10 (for sale)
    1991 U.D. RYAN HEROES 16 NOLAN RYAN 10 (for sale)
    1993 FINEST 18 ALAN TRAMMELL N/A 10 (for sale to whoever on this board I already said I would sell it to, although I forgot who it was, lol)
    1988 TOPPS 450 BARRY BONDS N/A 10 (for sale)
    1988 TOPPS 600 MIKE SCHMIDT N/A 9 (for sale)
    1988 TOPPS 6 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9 (for sale)
    1988 TOPPS 661 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9 (for sale)
    1999 BOWMAN BA15 ALEX RAMIREZ CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH 9 (for sale)

I sent in (44) 1993 Finest Refractors, none of which came back as a 10, although they did grade my #54 Jeff Conine a 10, and graded it as a regualar card, which I can't really figure out, because it was a refractor... GRRR...

Some of the cards on that sub. were Jeff's, although I'll let Jeff tell you about those, he got 13 10's out of his 21 cards submitted.... WOW!!!
  • Options
    Jon and Jeff,

Congrats on your submissions, nice job picking cards!! image

Jon,

What are you looking for on the 1993 Flair?

Scott J.

• Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Scott, just PM me an offer... and why did you change your screen name?
  • Options
    Jon,

Something went funky with my access to the forums from the computers at UWM. It wasn't auto logging me into the forum's and noone at PSA could tell me what my forum password was, so I just created a new user account.

I can still use my old account from home, but I'll have to use this one when I at school.

Scott J.
  • Options
    Here are my baubles:

1987 K-MART 20 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1988 TOPPS TIFFANY 661 NOLAN RYAN TURN BACK THE CLOCK 10
    1990 DONRUSS 24 NOLAN RYAN LEARNING SERIES 8
    1991 BOWMAN 280 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    1991 DONRUSS 89 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    1991 DONRUSS HIGHLTS. BC-3 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8
    1991 DONRUSS HIGHLTS. BC-15 NOLAN RYAN N/A 9
    1991 U.D. RYAN HEROES 14 NOLAN RYAN 1981-ALL TIME LEADER 9
    1991 U.D. RYAN HEROES 18 NOLAN RYAN CHECKLIST-HEROES #10-18 10
    1992 PINNACLE 281 N.RYAN/J.ABBOTT N/A 10
    1993 KING-B 17 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1980 O-PEE-CHEE 303 NOLAN RYAN N/A 8
    1987 SPORTFLICS 8 HOUSTON ASTROS TEAM PREVIEWS 10
    1991 POST CEREAL 27 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1991 SCORE 417 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1991 TOPPS 6 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1993 BLEACHERS 23KT NOLAN RYAN 27TH SEASON 8
    1993 FAX PAX 4 NOLAN RYAN WORLD OF SPORTS 10
    1993 PANINI STICKERS 87 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1993 O-PEE-CHEE 229 NOLAN RYAN N/A 10
    1991 DONRUSS 762 BARRY BONDS N/A 10

I thought the 91 Donruss Ryans would have done better. Only ones not going in my own set are the Bonds and the UD Ryan CL.
  • Options
    Scott
    Welcome back to the NRMSimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Muddy;
    Very nice results! Lots 'o PSA 10s! If you have any dupes... image

Scott;
    Glad you are back on the NRMS!! I was perusing your set and I see that you've kept lots of your high-grade stuff, but I don't see your drool-worthy '85 Topps Mini in the lost!! Do you still own it? I see you have a very nice '77 OPC RB in PSA 10!! Great stuff!!
  • Options
    Keith and John,

It's the only set I could enter, the other two I have a All Time set in and it won't let me enter cards that are part of the All Time sets. image

The 85 Mini won't enter because PSA in their great labeling exactness (NOT), has the card labeled as 1985 Topps, not 1985 Topps/OPC Mini Test Issue. Since you can't enter cards specifically into their slots anymore I can't enter that one. This is also a problem with about 10-15 other cards that I have.

I plan to get the labels corrected, if I get a chance, at the National.

Scott J.
  • Options
    Leave it to ol' eagle eye Keith to point that outimageI didn't even notice it was missing I was too busy drooling over the nice run of 70's 9's and 10's. Hopefully this will get you to fire up the scanner and restart the picture of the night segmentimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    js;

"Thou shalt not covet they neighbor's cards." I guess I am an unrepentant sinner! I never overlook what I covet!
  • Options
    Scott-

Definitely a big welcome back. I'm thinking that the Nolan Ryan thread is like the Hotel California - you can check out any time time you like, but you can't EVER leave!

Keith-
    PM sent 3 days ago big guy.image
  • Options
    Name this tune?

"wel ---- come ba------ ck your dreams were your ticket out"

Collector Focus

• Options
    Collector Focus

• Options
    That's a pretty sweet looking 73 OPC Ryan!

Scott J.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - I agree, very nice example!
  • Options
    Donato
    How's the comic? Did you get it yet?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Donato
    How's the comic? Did you get it yet? >>

Not yet...

I just sent my payment in on Monday of this week. I will scan and post it when I receive it.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>Donato
    How's the comic? Did you get it yet? >>

I got the 1973 Ryan Comic on Friday. Here is a scan of the front and back. Now I just have to get a hold of Bob's 1970 Ryan Cloth Sticker and my life would be complete. image

Donato image
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    Donato-

Just so you know, you're my hero in life.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about the Topps Comics. Can someone fill me in? Were they distributed? Were they folded? How many do we think exist? Is there a checklist?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know much about the Topps Comics. Can someone fill me in? Were they distributed? Were they folded? How many do we think exist? Is there a checklist? >>

Here's a link to the checklist.

They were distributed as a wrapper for a ginormous piece of bubble gum. Here's a scan of the full package:

I've seen just as many unfolded as I have folded. When you find one that was actually used, it typically has damage from three glue spots used to seal the wrapper. Damage can be mild or severe and has pretty much impact on the value as you'd imagine. I'd have to say that these are rarer than '73 Pinups, '68 3-Ds, and '70 Candy Lids but not as rare as '67 Stand-Ups or '70 Cloth Stickers (any guess as to how many of each exist would be pure speculation...50 to 100 maybe?).

Bob
  • Options
    Donato,

Were you looking for a 1993 Pinnacle Nolan Ryan Promo?

If so there is one on eBay now, listed at $10,000 but the seller does have a "Best Offer" selection as well.

Scott J.
  • Options

<< <i>Item location: LO Start Bids! NO Reserve! Great Selection! >>

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read on living players
    Greatest Shutout Pitcher Alive:
    Former teammates Ryan and Tom Seaver are tied (61), with Clemens again having no shot at it (46).

Greatest Workhorse Alive (Games Started):
    Nolan Ryan (773). Clemens would have to pitch another three seasons after this one without missing a start to catch him.

Most Losingest Pitcher Alive:
    Ryan (292). Well, that's what happens when you make 773 starts
  • Options
    Donato-

You may not have been on the boards the first time this little bauty came up, but it's listed again, with a higher BIN I think.

No Ryan collectio is complete without THIS GEM
  • Options

<< <i>Donato,

Were you looking for a 1993 Pinnacle Nolan Ryan Promo?

If so there is one on eBay now, listed at $10,000 but the seller does have a "Best Offer" selection as well.

Scott J. >>

Scott....

Yes, I was, but not at that kind of money. I appreciate the heads up thought.

Thanks...Donato

• Options

<< <i>Donato-

You may not have been on the boards the first time this little bauty came up, but it's listed again, with a higher BIN I think.

No Ryan collectio is complete without THIS GEM >>

mudflap...

This may be the 4th time that I have seen this person list this, and you are correct the BIN gets higher each time. I don't know what he is thinking. What kills me is he has a PSA 9 listed for $45.00. I don't care if the PSA 10 is a 1 of 1, it's not worth $12,500. Maybe 12,500 lires (Italian currency) about $6.00 American.

Donato

• Options
    Cowabunga! This looks like a very nice copy with no glue or paper loss! I'd love to see one of you Ryanatics land this gem:

1968 Topps Venezuelan Nolan Ryan
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Con40 I think that 91 DS is almost perfectly center with the naked eye, if yo go from the top were the blue line and white of the border meet and the bottom were the black line and the white of the border meet it looks almost 50/50 to me, if the card was horizontal.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stingray i agreeimage
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    OOps!! Pardon the new guy here.. Just want to say howdy, and I'm also a Nolan Ryan Master Set builder-- started on 7-12-05. I have requested that the 1999 Topps #34, both regular & chrome be added to the Master Set. What are the feelings of you experts out there? I'll look forward to participating on this thread and help where possible--- thanks---Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony and welcome.

PSA has etablished a general rule for player registry sets that a card must be from the player's playing days to be included in a basic or master set, with the exception that his regular issue cards issued the next season commemorating his performance in his final year (in Ryan's case, his 1994 base cards) count.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick. Yeah, I can understand the need for limits, because, where does it end?. But in this case, there is room, IMHO, to consider an exception, ie, Topps a 'biggie' putting a player in their main set as if he's still a Ranger. Wish ,, Wish---- Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)