Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Nolan Nut
    I am impressed with those FBI lids and all your stuff! Anything else ?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do have the Venez rookie and mine is far from NM. Price guides are tough to believe. Ebay or other big auction houses are a better gauge of prices. Book Values are a thing of the past. As we have always said. Items are ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay. >>

Well put
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    OH hell no - the Ryan Leaf thread will never trump this one.

A bump for the Aggie victory today. Might be the last of the season.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    You know you want it.

'73 Kellogg's Nolan Ryan PSA 10.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those player sets are out of control.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Check out these nine autographed Ryan items being auctioned!

LINK TO SELLER'S NOLAN RYAN SIGNED ITEMS

Seller has zero feedback on ebay, but according to others, he is the "real deal" (i.e., puts on auctions, and now for the first time, linked his auction to ebay!). He sure is auctioning off "a ton of unique items"!!!

rbd

edit: Here is the discussion about this seller: LINK TO THE THREAD THAT IS DISCUSSING THIS SELLER
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone is looking for a Ryan Venezuelan sticker there is one on eBay with a few days left.

1977 Nolan Ryan Venezuelan Sticker

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Donato. I'll hold out for a PSA 5 68 rookie though.
  • Options
    Thoughts?
    also check out his store. he has quite a few venezueleans of major players all with no bids. are these real? is this a scam?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The Venezuelan Ryan rookie looks gorgeous at first glance, but the seller is not revealing the truth about it and someone is going to be very upset when this auction ends and they get it and realize it's a PSA 1. If you look to the right of Ryan's cap, you can see the is a short line, roughly the length of a staple... what do you know... if you look closer it is from a staple that was there that obviously rusted and there are 2 holes in the card caused by the staple. I would also suspect some sort of water damage - something caused that staple to rust... it's not showing up well in his scan, but you can see signs of a water mark on the bill of Ryans hat. And, on top of that, there is also a third hold, running through the A in "STARS", which shows up at the base of the M in METS on the back. And something tells me the seller will disappear if there is a complaint about the card, which is probably going to sell for over $2K.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The Venezuelan Ryan rookie looks gorgeous at first glance, but the seller is not revealing the truth about it and someone is going to be very upset when this auction ends and they get it and realize it's a PSA 1. If you look to the right of Ryan's cap, you can see the is a short line, roughly the length of a staple... what do you know... if you look closer it is from a staple that was there that obviously rusted and there are 2 holes in the card caused by the staple. I would also suspect some sort of water damage - something caused that staple to rust... it's not showing up well in his scan, but you can see signs of a water mark on the bill of Ryans hat. And, on top of that, there is also a third hold, running through the A in "STARS", which shows up at the base of the M in METS on the back. And something tells me the seller will disappear if there is a complaint about the card, which is probably going to sell for over $2K.

imageimage >>

Excellent observations made on your part Josh...image

I suspect you are 100% correct.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Other then the defects noted it is still a decent example? maybe not for the price. many of these cards were glued. This example seems to have been stapled to possibly some sort of album.

SD

Good for you.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Hello,

I have the following Topps Nolan Ryan cards for sale or trade:

1973 #220 PSA 8 NQ
    1975 Mini #500 PSA 8 NQ
    1977 #650 PSA 8 NQ

Photo available, please email or PM me if interested.

thank you,

Mike

sfmays24@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi Ryan collectors...

Pictured below are two 1991 Fleer # 302 Ryan cards. Does anyone have this Ryan card raw and in quantities? If you do look at the backs of the cards at the horizontal lines separating the stats. You will notice in the picture below that one card has the first line separating the stats between 1980 and 1981 and the other card has the first line separating the stats between 1979 and 1980. I collect variations and was wondering if anyone had a spare to sell that separated the stats between 1980 and 1981. If you do please PM me with a price.

Thanks in advanced for your time...Donato

• Options
    ttt

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donato,

I just checked the two I have and they're both the one on the right, that you already have. Good luck in your search, and thank you for bringing this variation to lightimage

Steve
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wow, i'm gonna have to dig through all my 1990's stuff now and see if i have any!.. i like when new variations are found.. thanks for pointing it out..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Donato,

I just checked the two I have and they're both the one on the right, that you already have. Good luck in your search, and thank you for bringing this variation to lightimage

Steve >>

Steve...

No Problem, but I can't take credit for the discovery. A fellow collector emailed me a week ago about this. I don't have much info about how rare the variation may be.

Donato

• Options
    Donato
    I have bought some stuff off southpawcards.com before maybe an email to them and they might go through their 90 Fleer for you? Do you have a 93 Bowman blank back?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Donato
    I have bought some stuff off southpawcards.com before maybe an email to them and they might go through their 90 Fleer for you? Do you have a 93 Bowman blank back? >>

Hi Jackstraw...

Thanks for the link to Southpaw Cards. I just sent them an email. As for the 1993 Bowman blank back I do not have one. I generally don't search out blank backs because in theory there could be a blank back proof of every Ryan card made and the early years would be extremely expensive. If I find cheap ones I do pick them up as I come across them. Do you have a 1993 Bowman blank back available for sale? Let me know...

Thanks again...Donato image

• Options
    Also on that Venezuelan Ryan Rookie are additional cork board/wall tack marks on the left side of the card near the edge (in the white line on front and in the winning pct. stat on the back. Appears it was not only stapled but hung up for someone to admire? I suspect the tack mark to the right of the word "Stars" on the back of the card is where the other tack held this card up at some point in its rough life image

• Options
    Marks are actually not at the winning pct. on back....lol looks like maybe somewhere below the BB stat on the back?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Here's what the Ryan card actually looks like... I've changed my original opinion of it, tiny holes and all, it is the finest example I've ever seen.

• Options
    Thanks Josh, that is exactly what i was asking in my above comment.

I assume you bought it then?

Seller disclosed defect

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Also on that Venezuelan Ryan Rookie are additional cork board/wall tack marks on the left side of the card near the edge (in the white line on front and in the winning pct. stat on the back. Appears it was not only stapled but hung up for someone to admire? I suspect the tack mark to the right of the word "Stars" on the back of the card is where the other tack held this card up at some point in its rough life image >>

The 3 black dots on the white area near the left border are not pin holes. They are 3 print dots that are on all of the Venezuelan Ryans that I have seen.

Josh, That is a nice Venezuelan Ryan even with the holes. image

Donato

• Options
    Donato
    I have one that is off centered but its your for free . I will get it out in the mail this week.
    Still looking for a picture of the 82 astrosport mag card?

John
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Donato
    I have one that is off centered but its your for free . I will get it out in the mail this week.
    Still looking for a picture of the 82 astrosport mag card?

John >>

John...

I am at work right now. When I get home at about 3:00 AM I will scan a 1981 Astrosports Magazine card as I do not have the 1982. image

That's the best I can do.

Thanks...Donato

• Options
    am at work right now. When I get home at about 3:00 AM

yikes!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi John...

Here is the 1981 Astrosports Magazine insert Ryan card front and back shown. As I said above I don't have the 1982. Hope this suffices. The magazine card has a similar color border to the 1970 Ryan card but is made of magazine stock. Measuring from the gray border it is approximately 3-5/8" x 4-7/8" in size.

Donato

• Options

<< <i>Hi John...

Here is the 1981 Astrosports Magazine insert Ryan card front and back shown. As I said above I don't have the 1982. Hope this suffices. The magazine card has a similar color border to the 1970 Ryan card but is made of magazine stock. Measuring from the gray border it is approximately 3-5/8" x 4-7/8" in size.

Donato

image >>

• Options
    Donato, did southpaw have the variation? I would also try bamcards on Ebay
    Collector Focus

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a cool Ryan..dont see these graded too often...I know it's and SGC, but it still nice. ......I have a question too, how do you get the photo to come right up into your message instead of creating a file to click on like I did????

• Options

<< <i>Donato, did southpaw have the variation? I would also try bamcards on Ebay >>

John...

I sent out over 10 emails and 3 or 4 replied that they had the variation. I think they were one of the ones that had one. I actually picked up a free one from one of the board members here. It arrived yesterday. He got the variation out of the cello packs. The more common version came out of wax packs.

Thanks again for your help....Donato

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Nice pick up Keith, these are usually very hard to find in great shape. image

Donato

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Keith,
    Are you going to post the '84 Nestle you just won?
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you back con40!!

Stingray
  • Options
    Just received this 1974 Nolan Ryan Topps Puzzle proof sheet in the mail today and thought I would share. image

As most of you may or may not know the regular Ryan puzzle has no white border on the right.

The Puzzle proof is as thick as a standard piece of paper .004" and has that glossy feel like a page from a magazine.

I am still looking for a Ryan uncut puzzle that looks like the proof sheet but is made out of thick cardboard stock. If anyone knows where I can locate one please let me know.

Donato

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Im not a Ryan collector and I know this will not help out anyones registery but I had my biggest pull every and it envolved Ryan and I would like to share. I pulled a redemption for a dual autograph Bench/Ryan rookie out of 2005 Topps All Time Fan Favorites. The card can not be sent to me fast enough. I will post scan when it arrives sometime in 4 to 8 weeks.
  • Options
    I have 3 three versions. One is the unpuzzled proof that Donato was looking for. I have had it for a few years now. Hope to find another for you if I come accross one !!

• Options
    can';t get that image loaded...sorry
  • Options

<< <i>Im not a Ryan collector and I know this will not help out anyones registery but I had my biggest pull every and it envolved Ryan and I would like to share. I pulled a redemption for a dual autograph Bench/Ryan rookie out of 2005 Topps All Time Fan Favorites. The card can not be sent to me fast enough. I will post scan when it arrives sometime in 4 to 8 weeks. >>

fur72....

Very nice pull...Post a scan when you get it I would like to see the card.

Donato

• Options

<< <i>I have 3 three versions. One is the unpuzzled proof that Donato was looking for. I have had it for a few years now. Hope to find another for you if I come accross one !!

image >>

Hi nolannut...

Very impressive having all three variations of the Ryan topps puzzle. Please keep me in mind if you come across the uncut puzzle on cardboard stock.

On another note. Being from Canada there may be something else you may be able to help me with and that is the Ryan FBI boxes. I noticed you had two variations on the item. I don't have either yet so if you come across one let me know.

Thanks...Donato

• Options
    I will let you know for sure.
    Here are all my Deckle edge variations ---Deckled and Undeckled--gray and white
  • Options
    nolannut...

Thanks for sharing pics of your collecting. I know who has one, but and he would do a trade, but unfortunately for me, I need to replace his with a PSA 9 which is really expensive. I am looking for one raw.

I have the the Deckle Edge gray back regular and proof. I have the proof white back, but I'm missing the regular white back. Also is that one inside the wrapper unopened or just an example of an unopened pack? I don't have that either. Again very impressive. How long have you been collecting Ryan? I've been collecting him since 1993. I have a feeling you've been at it a little longer. Let me know.

Donato

• Options
    Thanks for the compliments...I have been collecting Ryan since 1989. The pack is just an empty one.
    Here is another rarity...

• Options
    The Topps Comic I have. image

Donato

• Options
    twins!
  • Options
    You three(Keith,Donato and Nolan Nut) are killing me! I can't afford a 92 Donruss Coke Set let alone that stuff. I do enjoy looking at it though.
    Collector Focus