Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ok, so it is exactly as i thought. Only the magenta plate was run. Your green variation that you said appeared smeared could have been during the process of washing down the plate of all its ink with a solvent before retiring the plate. That would also explain the out of focus front, during the cleaning process the plates are not pressed to the paper at 100% compaction, allowing more ink to be absorbed off the plate. If you are ever interested in having a diehard Nolan Ryan collector acquire one for a good home, I know just the person. Wait, that's me!
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    Wanting to trade this card for PSA 10 Ryans, especially a 1981 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 10.image
    Collecting all Nolan Ryan PSA 10's
  • Options
    Here is my email address if you have any PSA 10 Ryans you want to give up for this card. Also will trade for a 1973 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 9 NQ. If you want to buy for $850 I will sell it. image

My email address is:
    roland_bracken@yahoo.com
    Collecting all Nolan Ryan PSA 10's
  • Options
    ANy interest in this....its the 1987 Drake's issue, uncut on a full box........Clemens, Ryan, Scott......

may cut them up and send them to PSA individually......not many on POp report.....
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    There isn't many in the pop because PSA refuses to tell us what to do on such issues? Yeah the Hostess panel cards are pretty easy to figure out but PSA wants this issue to be cut outside the line on even weeks during December , on the line only on the 3rd day of the first full moon harvest of the year that a bull was born to another bull but only if its a bull and then of course there's the cut on the line which really isn't the width of a razor so the line never shows up but it looks good at the post office when the person verifies the order so he just slabs it only if the carrier is there on an odd day to make sure that its listed in the Beckett Almanac on hand cut cards that appear with pitchers that have pitched for the Astros during their playing days and the post master rolls a 7 before the PSA employee has the card looked up in the Beckett and Mechanical error label printed so the loser (me) can resubmit it again and again .
    I wouldn't submit a hand cut card to PSA if my kids were being held hostage and the ransom note said they wanted a PSA hand cut card!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Tell us how you really feel
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    so, that is why so few show up on POP report....PSA returns most ungraded? hmmm..maybe i will have to reconsider this submission....
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so, that is why so few show up on POP report....PSA returns most ungraded? hmmm..maybe i will have to reconsider this submission.... >>

I think Jackstraw is venting some frustrations... 98% of what I've submitted to PSA gets graded, with a numeric grade to boot. But, historically, PSA's policy on this has been very inconsistent at best.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    hence my email to you from the other day. unless you are 100% dead on, don't bother.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    Hello all,

I just listed a 1981 TOPPS SUPER HOME TEAM Nolan Ryan PSA 9 on ebay and figured I'd mention it here. It really seems like PSA is grading these 1980's super-sized cards very toughly. I just checked the population report and this 9 is not only the only Nolan Ryan graded 9, it is the only card from the set graded 9 or higher. Here's a scan

This is the invoice it's from

My email.

My Auctions

Robert
  • Options
    I just received back from grading a 1992 and 1993 Stadium Club Master Photo, both Ryan, and one received an 8, the other a 9. I thought both grades were dead on. Now I await the grade of a Red Barn disc that entered the system this afternoon. Come on 9!
  • Options
    I am looking for two items that elude me. One is the 1993 STADIUM CLUB NOLAN RYAN MASTER PHOTO-UNREDEEMED card, and the other is the green and yellow 1990 Star Nova Ryan set. Anyone out there with either or both??? Thanks for listening. Feel free to email me at TDFITZ@AOL.COM.
  • Options

<< <i> is the green and yellow 1990 Star Nova Ryan set. >>

I'm not even familiar with that one. There is a 1991 Star Nova Ryan set - and another 1991 Star Ryan set. 1990 has a Star Promo Ryan card, but I was not specifically aware of a 1990 Star Nova Nolan Ryan set....

p.s. Good luck, the Star Nova sets seem to be fairly tough to come across

FWIW - I think there is a complete 1990 Star Nova set on Ebay [e.g. all the players, not just Ryan], for $350+
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen the 1990 Star Nova and it's this hideous lime green color with yellow lettering... at least that is how I remember it. I guess the search continues!
  • Options
    Sorry for the shameless plug, BUT I recently put 95 PSA graded Nolan Ryan cards up for sale on ebay, all from the Nolan Ryan Master set. Most start at $2.99 on average, even for PSA 9s.

The creme de la creme, is a 1977 Venezuelan Sticker of Nolan Ryan. PSA has only graded 5 of these total, and this one is quite nice. Check it out on www.ebay.com and search the following listing number: 200049172025.

Click on "View seller's other items" on the right to see the other 94 items.

Thanks for looking.

terry aka Black10inch
  • Options
    I see in the population report for the 1980-81 Topps Supers that a handful of Mike Schmidt cards were submitted. Am I safe to assume that these were submitted by Marc (mikeschmidt)? If so Marc, do you think that PSA is really tough on these because I thought that all five from my invoice were 9 to 10 worthy and I only got one 9 and I have no clue where the 6 came from:

1 06558385 1980 TOPPS SUPERSTAR 32 BRUCE SUTTER 5x7 PHOTOS 8
    2 06558386 1981 TOPPS ROD CAREW SUPER HOME TEAM 6
    3 06558387 1981 TOPPS PETE ROSE SUPER HOME TEAM 8
    4 06558388 1981 TOPPS NOLAN RYAN SUPER HOME TEAM 9
    5 06558389 1981 TOPPS CARL YASTRZEMSKI SUPER HOME TEAM 8

Here's the scans:

1980 Bruce Sutter

1981 Rod Carew

1981 Pete Rose

1981 Nolan Ryan

1981 Carl Yastrzemski

My email.

My Auctions with the Rose, Ryan and Yaz ending TUESDAY

Thanks,
    Robert
  • Options
    I just wanted to say hello. As y'all can see, this is my first post here.

I've been a mad crazy Nolan Ryan fan for probably 18 years now, ever since my dad tipped me off to him back when he was doing his thing with the Astros. As a Seattle Mariners fan and a follower of the American League, I REEEAAALLLY started paying attention to him when he signed with the Rangers and proceeded to humiliate Seattle on a regular basis.

Recently, I dragged my Nolan Ryan card collection out of the closet and decided to accomplish a couple things with it. First, to acquire a 1968 Topps Ryan/Koosman card, and second, to acquire the cards I needed to complete my run of Topps, Donruss, and Fleer regular edition cards. That let me to start buying graded cards (PSA and BGS) and to send in my unslabbed cards to be graded and slabbed. This past couple months has been a flurry of eBay and Fedex for me... and I feel like the kid in a candy store that has a "free candy" coupon. Except that all those cards hit my wallet hard *grin* But, I did it... mission accomplished. All I need to do now is get the rests of these babies graded. Half are sitting at PSA already thanks to the November special.

I doubt I'll try to put together a registry, since my collection is mixed between grading companies, but I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks and it seems like a good place for anybody that's interested in sweet Ryan cards, regardless of whether they're putting together a registry. Looking at some of y'all's amazing finds has brought many a "wow" from my lips lately.

In any event, I hope to contribute to the discussion and post on a regular basis from now on. I love that the people here truly love sports cards and don't see them purely for their monetary value. Over at the Beckett forums, they're all about box breaks, relics, and limited editions. That ain't my bag. I'm also delighted that the PSA forums have a vocal gathering of Nolan Ryan fans.

So, yeah, hello everyone...
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mosaic...

Let me be the first to welcome you to the boards and especially the Nolan Ryan thread.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    ...and let me be the second. Welcome!!

I look forward to hearing more about your collection and your collecting goals. There is no better hobby on earth than sports card collecting (except for maybe pressing leaves between pages of a book.......and looking for fossils.........and maybe a couple others).

• Options
    Mosaic- as someone who is relatively new here as well, let me add that Donato is the #1 person to go to on all things Nolan Ryan. If you ever have a question concerning what a certain card is or looks like, there is a 99.9999999999999999999999999999% chance that he not only has it, but will post a pic of it here, within a day or two. I might have the #1 Master set, but this guy has THE Ryan collection. Welcome to the addiction.

terry
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mosaic! You're in the right place here for all your Ryan needs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome, all! I've definitely noticed that Dontato has quite the collection. That Ryan 1979 box back that came with the statue is suh-weet! If I'm not mistaken, some of the Ryan icons on these message boards come from your set, Donato.

Everyone here seem to have a great collection. tdfitz, your master set makes my mind boggle. Do you have a closet or a room devoted to Ryan cards? My girlfriend would kiiillllllll me if I had that many. But I'm pretty proud of my Topps/Fleer/Donruss set anyway.

Right now, my collecting goal is to recover from the past two months. I've got cards sitting at BGS and PSA, an MJRoop box coming, and a lot of organizing to do. UPS just brought my eTopps Nolan Ryans today (I've had them in their portfolio forever and just decided to take them in-hand). Once I get my cards back from BGS and PSA, I'll probably post a couple scans if any grade higher than I expect. I sent them a 72 that I think has a good chance at an 8, which for the price I originally paid for it ($40) would be totally awesome. Heck, even if it comes back a 7, it's a beautiful card (badly airbrushed hat and all, hehe).

In the coming months, I have a feeling y'all will inspire me to acquire and show off oddballs and cards outside my "big 3" focus.

At some point, I'm also going to try and get high grade samples of his 1971 and 1986 Topps cards. Not sure why, but those black borders seem like a challenge to me.

The Ryan "habit" is tough to kick!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the welcome, all! I've definitely noticed that Dontato has quite the collection. That Ryan 1979 box back that came with the statue is suh-weet! If I'm not mistaken, some of the Ryan icons on these message boards come from your set, Donato. >>

Mosaic...

Thanks for the compliment on my collection. You are correct about the icons. Your avatar the picture above your name is my Topps Pin Up. I had that as my avatar before I switched to the 1972 Ryan Venezuelan sticker that I have now.

The key with collecting is collecting what you like and making it enjoyable for yourself and others. You don't want it to be like a job, something you have to do, instead of something you want to do.

Good Luck with your collecting....Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    Mosaic- Thanks for the kind words on my collection. I wish you could have seen it before I had to make it private. At least 150 of the cards had scans attached as well. Sadly someone was using my set against me on ebay auction bids, so I had to go dark. Still not happy about that, but now I understand why most #1 sets are private in the end.

As for my wife, she totally understands my addiction. As for the bank where most of my cards are stored, they don't quite understand it or me. It's a large downtown branch, where most people going in and out of the safety deposit boxes are wearing suits and probably stashing money and jewelry, I pop in with my shorts and tshirt (usually rock related) with an armload of graded cards! It can be quite funny at times.

t
  • Options
    I've been hemming and hawing for quite a while now as to whether or not I want to include team cards in my "Big 3" Ryan set. At this point, I think I do... still not 100% sure... but my gut says include them, since they ARE regular issues in the set. There's also the cool factor of the 67 and 70 Mets cards.

In any case, that means I need to figure out which ones I need and track them down.

I checked the set registries and found these Mets & Angels team cards listed in the Ryan sets.

Mets
    67 Topps #42
    70 Topps #1
    71 Topps #641
    Angels
    74 Topps #114
    75 Topps #236
    76 Topps #304
    80 Topps #214

Can anyone confirm that these are the only team cards produced by Topps, Fleer, or Donruss to picture Ryan between 1966-1994? I gotta admit, I didn't pay any mind to team cards growing up, so I only have a basic grasp of when they were made. I'm just surprised Ryan didn't appear on team cards in 69 (Mets) and 73 (Angels)....
  • Options

<< <i>I see in the population report for the 1980-81 Topps Supers that a handful of Mike Schmidt cards were submitted. Am I safe to assume that these were submitted by Marc (mikeschmidt)? If so Marc, do you think that PSA is really tough on these because I thought that all five from my invoice were 9 to 10 worthy and I only got one 9 and I have no clue where the 6 came from:
    Robert >>

Robert - both Tim Orff and I have submitted Mike Schmidt Topps Supers to PSA. You should see some of the PSA 5s/6s that I got back - they look like 9s to me. I don't have a nice image hosting place, otherwise I would show you scans. If PSA continues to be brutal on these - a) no one will submit them and b) there may eventually be premium values on 9s from this issue. I just cannot compare the PSA 5 Topps Super I have with many PSA 5 T3s I've seen/handled. They are incomparable in terms of grades.

8s and 9s are fabulous grades given PSA's [initial] very tough grading of these issues-

Marc
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just surprised Ryan didn't appear on team cards in 69 (Mets) and 73 (Angels).... >>

Topps didn't produce team cards in 1969. Ryan is pictured on the Angels team card #243 for 1973.
  • Options

<< <i>Topps didn't produce team cards in 1969. Ryan is pictured on the Angels team card #243 for 1973. >>

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll add the 73 to my list. Looks like whoever is keeping the databases for the various registries (e.g. the Master set) needs to add the 73 card to them.
  • Options

<< <i>Guess I'll add the 73 to my list. >>

Also, 1977 through 1979 and 1981. I don't think that Topps issued team cards from 1982 through 1993, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Oof... maybe using the Master set list as a basis isn't such a foolproof strategy. You've been an immense help, Bob... don't suppose you know if he's pictured on the 1972 Mets card (#362) too? I can't find a great scan of it, but it sure looks like it could be him in the back row.
  • Options

<< <i>Oof... maybe using the Master set list as a basis isn't such a foolproof strategy. You've been an immense help, Bob... don't suppose you know if he's pictured on the 1972 Mets card (#362) too? I can't find a great scan of it, but it sure looks like it could be him in the back row. >>

I think you'd have to prove he wasn't in the picture to make it invalid for the master list. Personally, I don't think team cards should be in the master set, but who am I to say?

By the way, don't forget about all of the O-Pee-Chee team cards..... image
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wondo... you did great! I've seen PSA 8s go as high as $500 on eBay and none lower than $250, always typically higher then the Topps prices... given that a PSA 9 Topps would sell for $2K+, I'd say you got on helluva deal... wanna make $100 on it? image

Maybe this is another example of a mild softening in the Ryan market... a PSA 9 1978 Topps recently sold on eBay for just $406... that's about as low as I've seen in the past year... the previous eBay sale was just under $800 which was an all-time high for that card.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    The 1971 OPC PSA 9 came today. I think it will go up on ebay tomorrow! Waddya think?

Wondo

• Options

<< <i>The 1971 OPC PSA 9 came today. I think it will go up on ebay tomorrow! Waddya think? >>

That card sucks................................................NOT!!!
  • Options
    SalinasSalinas Posts: 326
    Can it be true that I have not added a card to the Master Set, and yet I am moving up the Finest Registry List from 16th to now, 11th? I wonder how long before I am in the top 5 Finest ever!
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Norberto;

It's true. I know many of the old registry guys have lost interest since Joe Orlando decided that team cards, Hostess duplicates, and Pacific cards are all to be included. To have all 250 Pacific cards adds $1250 in grading fees, or, if you're lucky, $1000 in costs to buy them in PSA 9 on eBay. That's alotta cake for cards that sell raw for about $9 total.
  • Options
    which collector is ebay id black10inch?
  • Options
    Thats tdfitz
    Collector Focus

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Wondo. A tough card to "9".
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nice pick up Donato! It looks real nice.
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Nice pick up Donato! It looks real nice. >>

Thanks John, I will let you know how it looks in person when I get it. It's the first one I've seen without bottle marks on the bottom where the discs are located.

Donato

• Options
    cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭
    wow. talk about a hefty sum for this one. i think this card actually sold for more $ than the '75 PSA 10 did (around $7700+) a few months ago...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-TOPPS-330-NOLAN-RYAN-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-POP-1_W0QQitemZ120102814454QQihZ002QQcategoryZ55925QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    Even I dropped out way early on this one. Can't beat a 1/1.... or at least a 1/1 for now. Nice pick up for someone.
  • Options
    I see the guy(Scott Melson) in the 20 slot has a 77 Venezuelan sticker in a 6. Thats got to be tougher then a 10 on a 76 Topps card?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>I see the guy(Scott Melson) in the 20 slot has a 77 Venezuelan sticker in a 6. Thats got to be tougher then a 10 on a 76 Topps card? >>

The 1977 Venezuelan Ryan is tough. I have a PSA 5 with the PSA 6 being the highest graded, to date.

Donato

• Options
    Donato
    Lets see a picture of that puppy! Is that something you bought already graded?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Donato
    Lets see a picture of that puppy! Is that something you bought already graded? >>

Here you are. Yes I bought it graded.

Donato

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Mind me asking how much you paid?
  • Options

<< <i>Mind me asking how much you paid? >>

I believe I paid over $500 for it.

Donato