Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Thread

Comments

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hey James,
    Dis you submit the 86 OPC Boggs yourself?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Keith, don't rest too easy... when I get my basic set to 100% I'm going to start a master set and still be looking for upgrades to my basic set, but that won't be anytime soon.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    You guys will all RUE the day that I finish OCS and The Basic School, and Uncle Sam starts paying for the cards. Gotta love those 6 month tax free deployments and coming back with a little jingle in the pocket...if i don't get shot down that is....
  • Options
    jimtb

No I had a few to go in , but I got it on ebay for 9.95 cant wrong whrong with that.

james
    x
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Keith, don't rest too easy... when I get my basic set to 100% I'm going to start a master set and still be looking for upgrades to my basic set, but that won't be anytime soon.

Jon;

Good luck... I will call you "grasshopper" for you still have many things to learn about the Master Set! image

The Basic Set and Topps Set are novelties for me, but lots of fun! The Master Set is my true labor of love. I am still grading Ryan cards that I bought 10 and 15 years ago! I a also a little bummed that my percent complete will drop to about 55% once the new cards are added. image
  • Options
    Keith,

That was cold blooded. Why did you bid him up like that? image

Should I throw a bid in there now?

Jon,

I could retire my Basic set if that would help? image

Scott J.

• Options
    That was cold blooded. Why did you bid him up like that?

Scott... maybe a wee bit... but I actually thought he would have maxed out at $70 based on his prior bids... my goal was to try to be high bidder, but he really jacked up last bid quite a bit, so now I'm all done on that card... good luck Jon!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    keith
    did you get the goodies i sent ?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Keith, I could have probably told you that he might have bid a tad higher on this card, esp. if he reads these boards, which i would not doubt. I noticed ufgator threw in an early bid too, although i seriously doubt he will be a contender from what i have seen of him in the past. Right now its at $73.88 (I'm trying to figure out why in the hell you bid $72.88). anyways... I don't really appreciate you pumping up that auction with no real intention of winning it, but whatever, I would have had to beat his max bid anyway, I just hope he hasn't decided to raise it.

I do realize I have a ton to learn about the master set... many of the cards and discs and such are cards that I have never even heard of, much less ever seen.

Also, Keith, I have a 1977 pepsi-cola disc still in the original glove thing it came in. I bought in on ebay several months ago for just a couple dollars. I have no idea how to go about cutting it would, and as I have seen you seem to be the expert on trimming... I mean cutting out cards from panels and such. Anyways, I was wondering if i could mail it to you before I get drunk one night, and while acting no better than "drunk dabney" screw up the card beyond all belief by trying to cut it out myself.
  • Options
    Jon;

I did plan on making a run at that card. In my mind, $70ish was my limit (you're right about my conservative nature on some cards)... $72.88 was rather random (but I place all my bids with 88¢ added because it's my street number). I thought I had a chance at that price seeing that you got the '93 Bowman for $55ish and the '93 Donruss for $92... my max was right in the middle there... but anyhow, I'm am now on the sidelines to wait for the eventual next copy that will come along someday.

You heard it here first: Consonant soup will be gone within 90 days. The guy is humping everything out there but the third rail. You name it PSA 9 '60s HOFers right down to 10¢ Clemes cards. Looks like a surefire candidate for eBay burnout.

As far as the Pepsi glove, send'er along... I "trimmed" one myself and got me a PSA 9 so maybe I can do the same for you... I even have a nice giant Card Saver to slip it in for ya. image
  • Options
    here is the vertical version of the 94 pre production. muddy i think you should send the mislabeled one to me and i will send it in for youimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Holy crap! That '92 Score PSA 10 is up to $88! How does this happen? This set was so overproduced the ink still isn't dry on the cards. How many CASES of this product could you buy with $88? I felt a little silly with a target price of of $70, but this is nuts! Jon, I fear you may have touched off a storm by proclaiming your intentions to win. Do you see how many bids there are north of $70 already? Many more than just about any auction for a common PSA 10 '90s Ryan.

Wonder if it will hit the century mark?
  • Options
    keith
    does fdcmnjghyfggytyjjiuytfgfhjjiiytgfdsertrhjjuikko have a registered ryan set?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    John;

I don't think so. There are no new sets registered in Master or Basic with high GPAs. But this guy is buying so much stuff of so many different players that I can't tell if he's a set registry player. Maybe he'll make a big splash next year sometime (if he lasts that long!).
  • Options
    88.00 for an 92 score . Boy are you guys going to pay when I sell. Note to self Nolal Ryan Collectors crazy and or deeeeeep pockets....Kidding

james
    x
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys- at least it is a 10.

This past week has seen the sale of a 1988 Score #16 Mike Schmidt PSA 9 for $90, with a second PSA 9 selling to the underbidder for $89
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I was bidding on the 92 score, but have aborted the mission for a 53 mantle.
  • Options
    Kenny;
    That's a nice looking 3. Great color and good centering to boot. I hope you can snag it.
  • Options
    88 bucks for a 92 Score card? Once they see that price 4SC will have 10 on ebay within the next month. Patience is key with newer cards. (I should take my own advice a little more often...)
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Ok, I was bad. I threw in a bid and now its over $90. image

Scott J.
  • Options
    Scott... this awaits you behind the woodshed:

• Options
    I'm not a ryan set collector, but have enjoyed watching you guys. Thought I'd share my favorite Ryan odd ball
  • Options
    Keith... thats no joke, and I am extremely shocked that Scott threw in a bid at all once it got that high, although I think he did it knowing full well that he would not win the card.

and WOW... here is the big news... ITS NOT EVEN A 1/1 ANYMORE, LMAO...

I was going to snipe this card and win it, I'm not going to tell you just how high my snipe was, but there is no doubt I would have won the card. I mean with all of this talk about it, I just had to have it (lol, and it would help the ole GPA and keep Scott or Keith from having it). However, with their being another one out there now, and the fact that I already have it in a 9... I think I am going to lower my snipe down to something more reasonable... assuming I even bid at all after I see what the price is with just a few hours to go...

So, question of the day... Who has the other 10?

And Keith... if your email me your address again (sorry, i misplaced it) I'll get that pepsi-cola disc in the next few days... thanks again
    mertle11@hotmail.com

by the way, current auction update: its now at $92.99
  • Options
    That's a nice Ralston Purins 40oz... care to sell? If not, hang onto it as PSA supposedly will no longer grade these.
  • Options
    by the way, I applaud the seller for adding the description to his auction... i actually just now noticed it there, i first noticed this card wasn't a 1/1 anymore when looking through the basic set to see what grade everyone else had this card in
  • Options
    I think I am going to lower my snipe down to something more reasonable

Jon... do you think that at $93 that card is already past "something more reasonable"?! image

The sad part is it's a fugly card too. I think aesthetics plays a role in how much one might pay for a PSA 10 modern card. Example... a PSA 10 '91 Bowman is a beautiful card and definitely adds some panache to a set, on the other hand, how much would you pay for a '91 Fleer PSA 10?
  • Options

<< <i>keith
    does fdcmnjghyfggytyjjiuytfgfhjjiiytgfdsertrhjjuikko have a registered ryan set? >>

He also bought the 91 leaf gold rookies from me last week in PSA9, jsut cause ur keeping tabs. WHo will be the first to get the refractor???????
  • Options

<< <i>by the way, I applaud the seller for adding the description to his auction... i actually just now noticed it there, i first noticed this card wasn't a 1/1 anymore when looking through the basic set to see what grade everyone else had this card in >>

how many people would have done this. what a great seller!
  • Options
    keith
    i was actually watching unfold, i actually thought you were getting played? i could be wrong. i thought for sure you had it locked in at your bid that held for a few days.

Collector Focus

• Options
    keith
    i was actually watching unfold, i actually thought you were getting played? i could be wrong. i thought for sure you had it locked in at your bid that held for a few days.

At first, I thought so too, but the guy who was jacking the bid (and then outbid me) looks like yet another new Ryan guy out there. I'll chalk up his weird pattern to newbie ignorance (and bad manners), but to each his own! All doubt was removed when two more guys jumped in late in the game to jack the bidding over $425. That's just nuts! image
  • Options
    Whoa! My understanding of the Blackless 82's were that they all came from a series of uncut sheets, and were cut in the aftermarket. Is this not true?
  • Options
    i hope bob is reading? he would know.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Jon,

You wouldn't want to see a scan of my 1969 T Ryan PSA 9, as it is definity an ugly maybe non deserving PSA 9. I'm to embarrassed to show it.

Keith,

Thank you also for the Christmas card and gifts!! Happy Holidays and best wishes to you and your family!

Scott J.
  • Options
    As far as how the '82 Blackless were released, this is all I know (from my archive of tidbits):

6. 1982 Topps “Blackless” Nolan Ryan- Approximately half of the 1982 Topps cards were printed without the black facsimile signature on the front (the easiest way to tell a "blackless"). It is unclear as to whether this was caused by faulty pre-production work or simply a ‘dry ink’ press (on the black cylinder). 100 of each card was estimated to have slipped through quality control with the Nolan Ryan remaining the strongest in demand.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The sad part is that I'm arguing about what should be in a Basic Set, and I register Master Sets. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    If it helps, we chose not to put Sportsflics in the Trammell basic set.
    Jim
  • Options
    well it looks like snow and ice for me the next 2 daysimage
    i cant see having a card that you have to angle 14 diffrent ways to view?sort of like the hologram cards that upper deck tried to make popular?
    here is one of the mechanical error cards i just got back...............................
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Jim;
    At the end of the day, what constitutes a Basic Set only needs to please the current collectors building the set. However, what if a few new Trammell guys come along and they WANT to have Sportflics included? How do you justify the exclusion then?

For what it's worth, I like Sportflics. 25 years from now when I have forgotten what Ryan's pitching motion looked like (or George Brett's swing), I only have to wave a Sportflic in my face and I'll see it all over again. No other baseball card can actually capture these things. For that reason, I like them.
  • Options
    js;

What's the mechanical error? Isn't that a 1993 UD #37? I am obviously missing something.
  • Options
    they didn't label it gold holo so i had to send it back to be labeled correctly.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    some toughies i stumbled on. thought you guys might like it? how about that 72 venz and pin up?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    js;

My God! What a website! This is the guy who has the one and only PSA 5 '68 VZ rookie. It was sold in an auction about 5 years ago and no one knew where it landed. He has some other great stuff too! He has the only MSA lid I have ever seen. There are very very few of those in existence. Even the modern stuff he has is cardboard gold. That 1990 Score Promo is virtually impossible.

I think I'm gonna contact the "fella" and see if he wants to be a member of the Family. With a monker like Donato diVecchia, he can be our new Don (when I step down of course, or get whacked, whichever comes first). We'll call him Don Don.
  • Options
    keith
    i get first dibs on that pin up and 72 venzimagei love that 7 11 big gulp topper thing a ma gig! get busy and let us know how it works out?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i like this thing, i've heard of transogram, but i never knew they came with figures..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Holy Bejeebus, that is some incredible stuff. I didn't even know that the 1991 UD cards had an auto variation. I really hope he can post here.
  • Options
    js;
    Something tells me this guy would sell one of his nuts before selling a Ryan card. I did drop him a nice email. If/when I hear back from him, I plan to point him to the registry and the forum!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    JS,
    Thanks for the link. I've never seen the Ryan lid or the Score promo card before (I want them now), and I also was clueless about the Ryan signing variation on the Upper Deck card. I hope he can hop aboard the Ryan express thread and let us in on what he paid for some of that stuff.
    Bob

Edited to say: KEITH...YOU GOT POST NUMBER RYAN'S ROOKIE SEASON (1968)!!!!

Edited to add link to his home page:

DONATO'S NOLAN RYAN PAGE
  • Options
    His site went from 44 hits this morning to almost 300 now.

This is post

• Options
  • Options
    Edited to say: KEITH...YOU GOT POST NUMBER RYAN'S ROOKIE SEASON (1968)!!!!

LOL! I guess good things come to those who wait. BOTR can keep those "00" ending posts. This is way better! I wonder who will get #1993 (Ryan's last season) or #1999 (HOF induction year). I'd love to snag #5714! I know this thread will make it.

Wow! 250 hits on Donato's site in a day! This guy is gonna find out real fast just how nice his Ryan shit really is! I hope he replies to my email and joins us.