Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    I doubt that regular tv shows it, I'm not even sure if the streams will have it. I know for Celtics games they usually air the stadium feed so you see whats happening on the court during halftime but IIRC NFL games usually hve the halftime show of whatever network is airing them.

While I was searching through articles to see if there was any mention of Brady's #12 getting retired I listened to a Kraft interview with Devin Mccourty and Kraft said that this would be the first of many celebrations for Tom Brady do who knows if it is or not.

I> @perkdog said:

Closer than I really thought

They played very well

It was.

But I think that a little of the optimism provided by the game is provided by the belief that the Eagles are a great team. And the Eagles didn't play a great game. Still, after going down quickly, we made it a game and had some chances.

I do feel like the way we played makes me feel better going forward. Our schedule is brutal through week 4.

It could have been the weather or that it was week one or even all of the hoopla about Brady returning bit you could tell that the offense was playing too tight in that first quarter. Zeke's fumble, lots of passes deflecting off recievers hands and Mac's INT. I was more disappointed of his half-ass attempt at tackling the guy running it to the house than I was of the interception.

As for the Eagles having a bad game,they were still a team that had twice as many wins as NE last season (16 total to NE's 8.)
    After Philly went up 16-0 this game could have gone in an entirely different direction but it didn't. Barring any major injuries, this defense is going to be nasty this year.

Big game against Miami next week,luckily the first meeting is in NE not Maimi.

I definitely am impressed that the game started 16-0 and then finished like it did. That in itself shows we have some fortitude.

First four weeks are tough. Some predicted we would start 0-4. First Miami game being at home is nice. If we can get that one, it will go a long way towards us settling in to the season.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Out gained the Eagles in total yards by over 100+ yards.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 3:22AM

@4for4 said:
    Out gained the Eagles in total yards by over 100+ yards.

Had they converted that 2 point conversion it would gave went to OT and anything could have happened

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had that field goal bounced out instead of in, Patriots would have just kicked the chip shot at the end and won 23-22.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I know it is only one game, but they may have a player in CB Gonzalez.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Keion White too. He may not end up with a ton of sacks but he's shown that he's capable of pressuring the QB.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

They better with where they drafted him. He was a good cover guy at Oregon but had basically no INTs. With how pass interference flags are thrown these days itlll be interesting to see how his style works out in the NFL.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

They better with where they drafted him. He was a good cover guy at Oregon but had basically no INTs. With how pass interference flags are thrown these days itlll be interesting to see how his style works out in the NFL.

Cmon man,we all know that your're talking out of your rear end when you sit here and try to play the draft guru. So let me get this straight, literally every single one of the first page google search returns for nfl 2023 mock draft & nfl 2023 draft prospect rankings ALL had Gonzalez mocked or ranked higher than the 17th pick where he was drafted with over half in the top 10 but just because you give us some lame remark about his lack of INTs in college that it might mean something?

He also didn't record a single sack while in college yet he racked one up in his first NFL game.

LMAO stick to Basebal homie. He may pick off some passes in the NFL and he may not but he ended up with the one head coach in the NFL that has repeatedly put his defensive backs in position to pick off a high number of passes.

Taken from the top 2023 NFL mock drafts provided by Google
    WalterFootball #14
    TheRinger #3
    BarstoolSports #7
    CBS #7
    SportingNews #7

ESPN:
    Mel Kiper #7
    Todd Mcshay #7
    Matt Miller #10
    Mike Tannenbaum #10
    Jordan Reid #8

NFL's website:
    Chad Reuter #7
    Peter Schrager #9
    Daniel jeremiah #8
    Bucky Brooks #7
    Maurice Jones Drew #7
    Charles Davis #14
    Rhett Lewis #14
    Lance Zierlein #8
    Adam Rank #7
    Cynthia Frelund #16
    Eric Edholm #6

NFL Draft Best Prospect Overall Rankings
    PFF #12
    ESPN Jeff Legwold #5
    NFLN Daniel Jeremiah #10
    Drafttek #10
    CBS #7
    NFLDraftBuzz #12
    Mel Kiper #9
    Todd McShay #8

I could have provided plenty more but these were efficient enough to show that you have no clue what you're talking about.
    😎👍

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

The game seemed to be the common theme of the post-Brady Belichick era, a close game into the 4th quarter. Only the last few years without Brady the Pats don't seem to win nearly as many of these types of games. Seems to me that Belichick consistently puts the team in a position to win but now that he doesn't have the greatest player in NFL history the Pats are just an average team.

By my calculations, since Brady left they have lost 9 games where they had the ball with less than 2 minutes left and a chance to tie or win, and 3 other games when they had the ball late in the 4th quarter or OT with a chance to take the lead or tie it up. I think we all know that with Brady, most of those games would have ended in Pats wins.

Robb

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Cmon man,we all know that your're talking out of your rear end when you sit here and try to play the draft guru. So let me get this straight, literally every single one of the first page google search returns for nfl 2023 mock draft & nfl 2023 draft prospect rankings ALL had Gonzalez mocked or ranked higher than the 17th pick where he was drafted with over half in the top 10 but just because you give us some lame remark about his lack of INTs in college that it might mean something?

He also didn't record a single sack while in college yet he racked one up in his first NFL game.

LMAO stick to Basebal homie. He may pick off some passes in the NFL and he may not but he ended up with the one head coach in the NFL that has repeatedly put his defensive backs in position to pick off a high number of passes.

Taken from the top 2023 NFL mock drafts provided by Google
    WalterFootball #14
    TheRinger #3
    BarstoolSports #7
    CBS #7
    SportingNews #7

ESPN:
    Mel Kiper #7
    Todd Mcshay #7
    Matt Miller #10
    Mike Tannenbaum #10
    Jordan Reid #8

NFL's website:
    Chad Reuter #7
    Peter Schrager #9
    Daniel jeremiah #8
    Bucky Brooks #7
    Maurice Jones Drew #7
    Charles Davis #14
    Rhett Lewis #14
    Lance Zierlein #8
    Adam Rank #7
    Cynthia Frelund #16
    Eric Edholm #6

NFL Draft Best Prospect Overall Rankings
    PFF #12
    ESPN Jeff Legwold #5
    NFLN Daniel Jeremiah #10
    Drafttek #10
    CBS #7
    NFLDraftBuzz #12
    Mel Kiper #9
    Todd McShay #8

I could have provided plenty more but these were efficient enough to show that you have no clue what you're talking about.
    😎👍

I literally just said it will be interesting to see how his style holds up in the NFL....

Yes he had 4 INTs in two years as a starter in a pass happy PAC 12, not great. But I will let you in on a secret, the NFL doesnt want to see cover corners. They dont want to see a DB break up a pass because their hand turned the WRs hip and caused the ball to be out of reach. They want huge plays, they want scoring. They want to see that corner burned or an INT that they can make viral clips of.

They have been changing the rules for decades now to make it more offensive friendly, its not a coincidence that other than Marino and Fouts the best QB stats are all in the last 20 years.

So yes I do find it interesting how someone who isnt a ball hawk will perform when the rules will continuously make it harder to cover someone as time goes on.

• Options

Yikes! Pats week 2 IR report has 4 out of the 5 starting offensive line from last week.
    Trent Brown Concussion
    Sidy Sow Concussion
    Dave Andrews Hamstring
    Michael Onwenu Ankle
    Cole Strange Knee

Sunday's starters maybe made up of rookies & players who've been on the team for less than two weeks.

• Options

Just saw this on Quick Slants and thought it was relevant with all of the talk about Josh Allen in the other thread. i'm assuming these stats are from after Mac came back from his injury.
    Last 10 games
    Completion %: Mac Jones 64.8% - Josh Allen 62.5%
    Passing Yards: Mac Jones 2,320 - Josh Allen 2,321
    TD: Mac Jones 14 - Josh Allen 17
    INT: Mac Jones 5 - Josh Allen 11
    Passer Rating: Mac Jones 90.3 - Josh Allen 85.4

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Just saw this on Quick Slants and thought it was relevant with all of the talk about Josh Allen in the other thread. i'm assuming these stats are from after Mac came back from his injury.
    Last 10 games

Very interesting

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Yikes! Pats week 2 IR report has 4 out of the 5 starting offensive line from last week.
    Trent Brown Concussion
    Sidy Sow Concussion
    Dave Andrews Hamstring
    Michael Onwenu Ankle
    Cole Strange Knee

Sunday's starters maybe made up of rookies & players who've been on the team for less than two weeks.

WTH

That is not promising

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Trent Brown Concussion
    Sidy Sow Concussion
    Dave Andrews Hamstring
    Michael Onwenu Ankle
    Cole Strange Knee

WTH

That is not promising

Yup. WRs Parker & Boutte were both limited too. On the positive side the entire defense was good to go.
    It will be interesting to see who covers Tyreek on sunday. Does Bill go with all around cover DBs like Jonathan Jones or Christain Gonzalez OR go with some speed in Jack Jones or Marcus Jones? Jaylen Waddle is limited with an oblique injury so if he sits out that would be a huge plus for theNE secondary.

• Options

Oline was a problem before this year, all off season, and now. We knew it. We talked about it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Trent Brown Concussion
    Sidy Sow Concussion
    Dave Andrews Hamstring
    Michael Onwenu Ankle
    Cole Strange Knee

they were talking about the o line that are on the report with concussion on the local radio station this morning. They were speculating that they were on the report for load management purposes and will be removed for game time.

keep in mind, as far as I know they do not have insider info.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Last 10 games

wow, i would not have thought this. good for mac.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Oline was a problem before this year, all off season, and now. We knew it. We talked about it.

I think the Left Tackle was the main problem during that stretch and not necessarily the Oline as a whole. Onwenu,Andrews & Strange are all solid starters and had BB found a legitimate starting LT it would have moved Brown over to RT.
    Problem solved unless someone gets hurt but that IR report is different when there's a possibility that 4 of your 5 starters are out. At that point,even the SB contenders are in trouble.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think the Left Tackle was the main problem during that stretch and not necessarily the Oline as a whole. Onwenu,Andrews & Strange are all solid starters and had BB found a legitimate starting LT it would have moved Brown over to RT.
    Problem solved unless someone gets hurt but that IR report is different when there's a possibility that 4 of your 5 starters are out. At that point,even the SB contenders are in trouble.

I guess you're right, but to me it has felt like a problem. Or let's just say it's felt like an area I didn't have confidence in, especially depth-wise.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2023 8:00AM

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I guess you're right, but to me it has felt like a problem. Or let's just say it's felt like an area I didn't have confidence in, especially depth-wise.

Honestly,our local media decided that that was the position group to harp on all summer and make it a much bigger deal than needed, not to mention that this is OL coach Adrian Klemm's first season running that group so there's some unknow there.

They have decent talent there but what they're missing is that Matt Light/Nate Solder type at LT who you could plug in for the next 8-10 years if needed. Trent Brown is a monster at 6-8 360+ but he's better suited for RT. Fill that spot and everyone else should fall into place. It doesn't help that their big OLine free agent signing of LT Riley Reiff got sent to the 4 week IR with a knee injury. From what i've read many expected him to be their LT for this season until BB finds a better option.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Last 10 games

I think I will have a Big Mac instead.

• Options

can I say that I just cant wait for this foolish game to start!!!!!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    can I say that I just cant wait for this foolish game to start!!!!!

Squish the Fish!!! 🐟

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2023 5:18PM

Patriots wearing the throwbacks tonight - Fantastic!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

just read that both trent brown and jonathan jones are ruled out for tonights game

• Options

hold onto the ball. good grief

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miami is bearing the Pats tonight, as usual. The Pats used to lose these guys, even when they winning championships.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

miami looked very good on that last drive before the half

• Options

I'm turning it off. I'm taking no joy in watching this brand of football. The Patriots are playing like the teams I grew up with who wore those helmets.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only halftime, but it's 17-3 Dolphins. I thought the Patriots had a pretty good chance of winning this game. I thought Belichick would have the team well prepared and ready against his old rival.

The game still isn't over, but very sorry to say, the decline in coaching ability of Bill Belichick due to his age, in my opinion has become painfully obvious. No disgrace, it happened to the great Tom Landry, and it will eventually happen to everybody.

Not to pile on, and I sincerely do not wish to do that, but a younger Bill Belichick, for example would have never signed Ezekiel Elliott for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what this older Bill Belichick was thinking in this regard, but it certainly wasn't clear thinking.

• Options

Ezekiel Elliott
    CAR 5
    YDS 13
    AVG 2.6

Yikes!

• Options

@stevek said:
    Ezekiel Elliott
    CAR 5
    YDS 13
    AVG 2.6

Yikes!

yeah, Zeke was not a good signing

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm turning it off. I'm taking no joy in watching this brand of football. The Patriots are playing like the teams I grew up with who wore those helmets.

everything seems to come hard on offense. all short plays and needing to convert on 3rd down. I am giving Mac this season to see what he's got. either figure it out or on to the next QB

• Options

Another week where they get down by 10 early and spend catch up.the rest of the game, Miami's D is not.all.that great but neither is the Pats O

In it but can't seal a W

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 5:35AM

no one has gotten more annoyed by the excessive TB adulation over the years than i have, but watching last night I couldn't help but think that that's the exact type of game Brady would have pulled out of a hat. and now that those days are over, i know it's gotta be a hard watch for you guys. Mac Jones just isn't a guy who has the talent to elevate a bunch of no names and retreads the way Brady consistently did. which, in my opinion, is what made him so great.

as for Zeke, i just can't for the life of me understand why any team would sign that guy, let alone the Patriots. you don't have to know a lick about football to have been able to easily discern that he's closer to being out of the league than ever showing a glimpse of what he once was. same with JuJu. i just don't get it. i struggle to understand what the Patriots' identity post-Brady is supposed to be exactly.

with that said, the guys who are on that roster play hard. that had the look of a game that could have easily gotten away from them, and they came very close to knotting up the score at the end. there's something to be said for that, even in defeat.

• Options

We got very very used to having hope even when down with little time on the clock. Brady was very adept at moving the ball quickly for chunk yardage so we never felt out of the game.

with mac, every drive is so arduous. there are no chunk plays, everything is 5 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards. As of right now, there can be no 2 minute offense because Mac is incapable of it.

thankfully, I have a lifetime and more of SB wins/memories wrapped into the last 20 years or so. I can actually watch the Patriots and not have my blood pressure spike or worry about a stroke because I know we probably cannot beat the upper level teams anyways.

• Options

Belichick is the modern Tom Landry. He like Warren Spahn who was trying to hang and catch Christie Mathewson and Grover Cleveland Alexander for lifetime wins. He had nothing left in the tank. Neither does Belichick.

Mac Jones doesn’t have what it takes. He’s among the lower level quarterbacks in the league. He’s had what, three years, and he’s not doing it.

The Pats will finish last in their division with a losing record. It will take Hoodie three or four more years to get his last 19 wins. Welcome back to the bottom dwelling Patriots. It might take a 3-14 season to bring change.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Belichick the GM sucks and that is the bottom line

• Options

@craig44 said:
    We got very very used to having hope even when down with little time on the clock. Brady was very adept at moving the ball quickly for chunk yardage so we never felt out of the game.

with mac, every drive is so arduous. there are no chunk plays, everything is 5 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards. As of right now, there can be no 2 minute offense because Mac is incapable of it.

thankfully, I have a lifetime and more of SB wins/memories wrapped into the last 20 years or so. I can actually watch the Patriots and not have my blood pressure spike or worry about a stroke because I know we probably cannot beat the upper level teams anyways.

Sometimes I don't think many folks out there in general, fully realize how magnificent was that Patriots run. They compare the Yankees runs and the Celtics runs, perhaps some others. But the NFL is much more complex than those other sports in putting together a run of a perennially winning team.

The Yankees eras are easy to separate any comparison. No salary cap, all they did was buy the best players, resulting in championships, Just like they bought Babe Ruth. In the 1950's, they also signed star prospects such as Mantle for the highest amounts of money, as there was no draft back then. The Yankees could also afford the finest managers and scouting staffs. There wasn't all that much skill or difficulty involved in building winning teams, just buy them.

The Celtics, yes did a great job of putting that team together, but they never lost players due to salary cap problems.

All things being equal, in the NFL the odds of winning a Super Bowl is only once every 32 years. In the salary cap era, the owners have tried to create a situation whereby competition is equal, and perhaps their ideal situation would be each team winning the Super Bowl once every 32 years to keep all the fans happy. Plus of course the draft penalizes winning teams with lower picks. So for the Belichick/Brady combination to skew all that in such an extraordinary way, truly is remarkable.

In my view, in American professional sports, the Patriots run is by far the GOAT, and it really shouldn't be debatable.

The odds say the Patriots may never win another Super Bowl for a very long time. In which the tremendous memories of their GOAT run should be more than enough to satisfy Patriots fans for a very long time. Of course sports fans don't think that way, including me, they wanna win it every single season. 😄

• Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Sometimes I don't think many folks out there in general, fully realize how magnificent was that Patriots run. They compare the Yankees runs and the Celtics runs, perhaps some others. But the NFL is much more complex than those other sports in putting together a run of a perennially winning team.

The Yankees eras are easy to separate any comparison. No salary cap, all they did was buy the best players, resulting in championships, Just like they bought Babe Ruth. In the 1950's, they also signed star prospects such as Mantle for the highest amounts of money, as there was no draft back then. The Yankees could also afford the finest managers and scouting staffs. There wasn't all that much skill or difficulty involved in building winning teams, just buy them.

The Celtics, yes did a great job of putting that team together, but they never lost players due to salary cap problems.

All things being equal, in the NFL the odds of winning a Super Bowl is only once every 32 years. In the salary cap era, the owners have tried to create a situation whereby competition is equal, and perhaps their ideal situation would be each team winning the Super Bowl once every 32 years to keep all the fans happy. Plus of course the draft penalizes winning teams with lower picks. So for the Belichick/Brady combination to skew all that in such an extraordinary way, truly is remarkable.

In my view, in American professional sports, the Patriots run is by far the GOAT, and it really shouldn't be debatable.

The odds say the Patriots may never win another Super Bowl for a very long time. In which the tremendous memories of their GOAT run should be more than enough to satisfy Patriots fans for a very long time. Of course sports fans don't think that way, including me, they wanna win it every single season. 😄

Steve, that is a VERY good synopsis of what happened 2001-2019. It really was unprecedented in sports history when you factor in all of the things that had to go just right for it to happen. 9 super bowls in 19 years is just insane. really 18 because 2008 was a bust after Tommy busted his knee.

When I look back, it is just incredible that I got to live through it. As a kid, I remember thinking how great it would be to win just one SB. Little did I know...

• Options

Tough call on the situation with Bill Belichick. The Belichick - Landry comparisons are certainly relevant.

However. two differences are that in Landry's last season, he really lost control of that team. Whereby although Belichick is no longer a great coach, his players still fight for him.

The other is Kraft still owns the team, whereby the Cowboys owner under Landry, sold the team to jerry Jones. Tom Landry at that time was probably the last person to know that he was obviously going to be fired.

So as long as Kraft owns the team, unless Belichick absolutely loses control of the team, which i can't see happening, he will likely stay until a new owner comes in and fires him.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Steve, that is a VERY good synopsis of what happened 2001-2019. It really was unprecedented in sports history when you factor in all of the things that had to go just right for it to happen. 9 super bowls in 19 years is just insane. really 18 because 2008 was a bust after Tommy busted his knee.

When I look back, it is just incredible that I got to live through it. As a kid, I remember thinking how great it would be to win just one SB. Little did I know...

I know that feeling.

A few times in the past it seemed like the Eagles or Phillies were building a dynasty, and then poof, it disappears. Fortunately for Patriots fans, in the case of the Belichick/Brady era, it lasted for an extraordinary amount of time.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 10:13AM

Not only the Super Bowls but something I don’t hear mentioned very much is Brady won 17 division titles in his 18 years with the pats.

Probably because div. titles don’t mean as much to some people as they do to me. Being a chiefs fan I absolutely relish when they finish ahead of the raiders and broncos.
    Chiefs have won the afc west 7 straight years and I’m hoping it doesn’t end soon.

I’m appreciating how great Brady was even more since he retired. While he was playing I just got tired of him winning all the time. 😉

PS- So I think Brady won 20 out of 21 division titles counting Tampa for a division winning percentage of 95.2

• Options

@Darin said:
    Not only the Super Bowls but something I don’t hear mentioned very much is Brady won 17 division titles in his 18 years with the pats.

Probably because div. titles don’t mean as much to some people as they do to me. Being a chiefs fan I absolutely relish when they finish ahead of the raiders and broncos.
    Chiefs have won the afc west 7 straight years and I’m hoping it doesn’t end soon.

I’m appreciating how great Brady was even more since he retired. While he was playing I just got tired of him winning all the time. 😉

PS- So I think Brady won 20 out of 21 division titles counting Tampa for a division winning percentage of 95.2

honestly, it sounds cocky or pompous, but I think I can speak for many NE fans that the division titles were really expected after a few years. but looking back at how it was then, it really was remarkable. 95% winning his division.

personally, I was all about the AFCCG and SB. I believe the Patriots went to 13 AFCCG during the 18 full Brady years. It is really beyond belief that one team could go that many times. And then the 9 SB appearances.

If you add his TB years, in 21 full seasons-10 SB appearances. just about half of his career, he was in the big game.

I am sure I will never see anything like it again in my lifetime.

I have no regrets with the Pats currently being a poor to middling team, I was able to witness greatness every week for almost 20 seasons.

• Options

New plan....
    tank
    keep the pick
    don't whiff on pick

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    New plan....
    tank
    keep the pick
    don't whiff on pick

But GM Bill usually does whiff on the picks.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

honestly, it sounds cocky or pompous, but I think I can speak for many NE fans that the division titles were really expected after a few years. but looking back at how it was then, it really was remarkable. 95% winning his division.

personally, I was all about the AFCCG and SB. I believe the Patriots went to 13 AFCCG during the 18 full Brady years. It is really beyond belief that one team could go that many times. And then the 9 SB appearances.

If you add his TB years, in 21 full seasons-10 SB appearances. just about half of his career, he was in the big game.

I have no regrets with the Pats currently being a poor to middling team, I was able to witness greatness every week for almost 20 seasons.

So how many generations are Patriot fans supposed to wait because of poor management? I’ll remind you of Connie Mack who built great baseball teams in 1929 and ‘30. Then he sold off his players and then had nothing, often really bad teams, until the Athletics left Philadelphia in 1954.

It doesn’t take long for fans to abandon the team.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

So how many generations are Patriot fans supposed to wait because of poor management? I’ll remind you of Connie Mack who built great baseball teams in 1929 and ‘30. Then he sold off his players and then had nothing, often really bad teams, until the Athletics left Philadelphia in 1954.

It doesn’t take long for fans to abandon the team.

It's not that it made us cocky or arrogant, it's just that our sense of what success meant was skewed.

It felt like SB or bust.

There are certain pleasures you can take during the season. Winning the division is great. But just beating your division opponents/main rivals can be enjoyable if you don't have a team that's really in it.

Unfortunately, this version of the Patriots looks like it might go 0-6 in the division. So what's left? Usually, if your team is that bad, you are left with taking joy in the humiliation and suffering of other teams.

We have really come full circle back to the old days. Lol

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rough crowd...........

"A New England Patriots fan died from injuries sustained after being "punched in the face" by a Miami Dolphins fan during the teams' Sunday Night Football matchup at Gillette Stadium, MassLive.com reports.

Dale Mooney, a father of two from Newmarket, New Hampshire, was reported to have fallen to the ground and never regained consciousness after an incident in the 300s tier of the stadium Sunday (September 17) night. Joey Kilmartin, another spectator in attendance at the time of the incident, told MassLive that he saw Mooney and a Dolphins involved in a physical altercation late in the fourth quarter.

“The Dolphins fan walks over and clearly punches him in the face,” Kilmartin said. “[He] gets knocked out and you can tell right away he’s not OK.”

EMTs arrived at the scene and performed CPR, however, Mooney never got back up, according to Kilmartin, who also gave his account of the incident to the Foxborough Police Department."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"