Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch him sign Wentz, I am not happy they cut Zappe

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭

Signing Wentz would be smart. I dont know if thats the plan or if they just want to tank for a high draft pick in what should be a good QB draft, but 1 QB is just insane

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2023 7:33PM

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm hoping that 72 hours from now we can look back on this and chuckle ...because it all worked out 🤷😂

Someone mentioned tht BB went with just Mac to start his rookie season. IIRC, they waived Hoyer then brought him back after their first game,I think they did this so Hoyer's money wouldn't be guaranteed for the entire season. This could be happening with Zappe or Cunningham,or one of the two could end op on the PS.

I'm not familiar with the majority of names that were cut around the league today but I wouldn't mind seeing one or both of these RBs signed....
    Ravens RB Melvin Gordon
    Raiders RB Damien Williams - He was the KC 3rd down RB in those early years when Mahomes battled against Brady while he was still in NE.
    https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-roster-cuts-tracker-team-by-team-player-moves-ahead-of-the-2023-season

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Signing Wentz would be smart. I dont know if thats the plan or if they just want to tank for a high draft pick in what should be a good QB draft, but 1 QB is just insane

Hoodie hates early draft picks, he undervalues players, always has and always will

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Hoodie hates early draft picks, he undervalues players, always has and always will

Certainly seems like it. I'm not a big Zappe guy but he was/is a capable backup which every team needs. Id hope for the sake of Pats fans theres some plan for a new backup

• Options

I'm reading tweets that they're trying to get Zappe,Cunningham & Taylor thru waivers onto their practice squad.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2023 8:38AM
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2023 8:38AM
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2023 8:21AM

Although I am not thrilled about some of the stuff he is doing he is putting in some work but is it just circumventing the same end result?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Although I am not thrilled about some of the stuff he is doing he is putting in some work but is it just circumventing the same end result?

I think he's trying to get a few players thru that are hurt. IIRC they would count towards the initial 53 man roster and if they aren't sent to either the PUP or IR beforehand,they still count as active.
    Normally he doesn't cut it so close by waiving a young backup QB like this so its really a gamble to see if Zappe makes it thru. We should know by later this afternoon.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I think he's trying to get a few players thru that are hurt. IIRC they would count towards the initial 53 man roster and if they aren't sent to either the PUP or IR beforehand,they still count as active.
    Normally he doesn't cut it so close by waiving a young backup QB like this so its really a gamble to see if Zappe makes it thru. We should know by later this afternoon.

I'm hoping we get Zappe back, I know he didn't have a great showing this Summer but I do think he is a capable back up, better than a 38 year old Hoyer or useless Wentz

I'm counting on your reporting good buddy 🍻

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I'm hoping we get Zappe back, I know he didn't have a great showing this Summer but I do think he is a capable back up, better than a 38 year old Hoyer or useless Wentz

I'm counting on your reporting good buddy 🍻

I think he'll be back unless some random team out there sneaks in. There's a ton of moving parts when it comes to teams figuring out their opening roster and tough decisions need to be made.
    If someone is hurt he either has to go to the PUP list where's out for for the first 4 games. if he goes on IR he's either out for the entire season or the team could just outright release the player. If a player is hurt and isn't sent to one of those two then he has to make the initial roster.
    I was listening to a podcast earlier talking about how BB has 11 Olinemen making the team but 2 are currently hurt and they didn't want to release them or lose them for a month or longer.
    Thats two spots alone and if there's a player or two on defense in the same position,you're now moving other pieces trying to fit everyone in. At that point its the marginal practice squad types that are being waived with the hope that they make it thru to the PS. Cunningham,JJ Taylor & Kevin Harris feel like they're that type of player,we know Taylor & Harris have been back & forth to the PS numerous times in recent years.

Zappe though is a gamble even though he's not this great prospect.They just spent a 4th on him and he had pretty good success as a fill-in starter. I think BB is taking a chance on there being so many other teams sitting in the same position as NE's in right trying to figure out their own mess and maybe some team doesn't try stealing him away for nothing.

Ironically,this is exactly the type of thing that Bill would do to another team. I remember years ago when the Giants tried slipping their injured TE Jake Ballard thru waivers to put him on IR and Belichick claimed him for nothing. NY was pretty PO'd and IIRC Ballard never played a single game for NE.

We should know around 4pm if Zappe,Cunningham,Taylor & Harris made it through waivers.

• Options

Our local media is killing BB right now after he assembled an OL group of 2's & 3's rather than spending the capital to go get legit starters in the Matt Light/Nate Solder/Logan Mankins mold. 2 of those 11 Olinemen were just traded for on sunday and had to be part of the final roster even though both of them may end up on the practice squad.

God forbid if he loses any of the offensive players trying to get thru to the PS because they'd be left with
    one QB,
    two RBs w/one who's been with the team for about a week or two
    two TEs that are both free agents at the end of the season.

The WR position,while missing a true #1 wideout,seems to be the most stable group on the offensive side of the ball right now. I'm really looking forward to seeing how JuJu,Douglas & Boutte fit together after hearing how well they've played all camp.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both made it through

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Both made it through

Its funny,I can just imagine how much content was created since yesterday afternoon just to rip Belichick for for putting Zappe alone thru waivers. I've listened to Felger,Greg Bedard, Skip/Sherman/Keyshawn all this morning ripping him as if Bill was moving on from Zappe entirely.

• Options

Both made it through> @erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Both made it through

Its funny,I can just imagine how much content was created since yesterday afternoon just to rip Belichick for for putting Zappe alone thru waivers. I've listened to Felger,Greg Bedard, Skip/Sherman/Keyshawn all this morning ripping him as if Bill was moving on from Zappe entirely.

He was taking a chance, though as far as I know putting them right back on the PS does affect things, as opposed to waiting.

What was the point? Was it to be able to keep so many OLine?

Did we sign any backs?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Both made it through> @erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Both made it through

He was taking a chance, though as far as I know putting them right back on the PS does affect things, as opposed to waiting.

What was the point? Was it to be able to keep so many OLine?

Did we sign any backs?

I think the OL group played a huge part in all of it. You had the 2 new guys traded for over the past few days having to make the roster then there were 2 injured in Reiff & Anderson plus McDermott who got put on IR.
    Then BB kept a few players that were either S/T'ers in Mack Wilson & Amari Speed or Shaun Wade who made the team because Isaiah Bolden went on IR.

I'm not too sure what's going on with the RB position right now. There were reports that Harris would likely not make the final roster for weeks now. Taylor made it known yesterday that he might be looking to find a chance elsewhere after getting waived. Montgomery has been hurt the entire time he's been in NE.

I never thought BB would go with just one QB but I could see him go with just two RBs until someone better comes along,which could really hurt them if one goes down. Same goes with the TE position.

its almost like he's at the point where he'll do the bear minimum when it comes to the offense yet he'll willingly load up his defense & special teams. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

ESPN reported that Zappe had interest from other teams to join their PS but decided to stay in NE.

• Options

I am not feeling great about this season.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I am not feeling great about this season.

Neither am I, I'm going to support them but stay realistic expecting less than 7 wins

• Options

lol You guys are giving up already? The only difference between this roster right now and 3 days ago is some no name players didn't make it on to the PS. Zappe,Cunningham,Harris,Montgomery,Munson & Sokol all cleared waivers and signed to the PS. The only semi-known player that didn't is JJ Taylor and he's been off&on their PS for years without showing enough to stick on the team.

The media made too big of a deal about Zappe getting cut and those who were actually looking at the bigger picture could see what they were doing. BB had to play musical chairs to get certain players onto the roster without losing others.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    lol You guys are giving up already? The only difference between this roster right now and 3 days ago is some no name players didn't make it on to the PS. Zappe,Cunningham,Harris,Montgomery,Munson & Sokol all cleared waivers and signed to the PS. The only semi-known player that didn't is JJ Taylor and he's been off&on their PS for years without showing enough to stick on the team.

The media made too big of a deal about Zappe getting cut and those who were actually looking at the bigger picture could see what they were doing. BB had to play musical chairs to get certain players onto the roster without losing others.

Absolutely not because of Zappe, honestly I really didn't have high expectations to begin with and even more so now that Rodgers is in NY.

I don't care though, I love my Pats regardless

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Absolutely not because of Zappe, honestly I really didn't have high expectations to begin with and even more so now that Rodgers is in NY.

I don't care though, I love my Pats regardless

I'm not giving up at all. Just saying I am not feeling so good about it. I still see a path to us having a winning season.

• Options

its funny because I listen to a ton of Pats related shows/podcasts in replace of the schmucks on radio and last night they were all putting out videos asking WTF is going on with Belichick after he waived Zappe. These same podcasters have spent the past two weeks telling us that Zappe just hasn't caught on to BoB's offensive playbook yet and some were actually talking like he should be a cutdown candidate.
    He got waived with the intent to make it thru to the PS unless some team claimed him off waivers,which very rarely happens. Bailey, in all probablility,will be standing next to Mac in week one holding the clipboard and this all would have been much ado about nothing.

One thing with our sports media is they never sugarcoat it when talking about our teams play. If they're playing like crap they'll report it like they see it,if they're looking good they'd report that too. Reports on Mac's play with the 1st offense have been very encouraging for the past couple weeks now which has me hopeful.

As for how good or bad this team will be this season as a whole, well, I haven't even seen the starters on either side of the ball play yet, so for me,basing any opnion on how their season may go is extremely premature.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    its funny because I listen to a ton of Pats related shows/podcasts in replace of the schmucks on radio and last night they were all putting out videos asking WTF is going on with Belichick after he waived Zappe. These same podcasters have spent the past two weeks telling us that Zappe just hasn't caught on to BoB's offensive playbook yet and some were actually talking like he should be a cutdown candidate.
    He got waived with the intent to make it thru to the PS unless some team claimed him off waivers,which very rarely happens. Bailey, in all probablility,will be standing next to Mac in week one holding the clipboard and this all would have been much ado about nothing.

One thing with our sports media is they never sugarcoat it when talking about our teams play. If they're playing like crap they'll report it like they see it,if they're looking good they'd report that too. Reports on Mac's play with the 1st offense have been very encouraging for the past couple weeks now which has me hopeful.

As for how good or bad this team will be this season as a whole, well, I haven't even seen the starters on either side of the ball play yet, so for me,basing any opnion on how their season may go is extremely premature.

Some of the many reasons why YOU need to take over Radio for the Pats!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Get rid of that clown Zolak!

Even though I’m a huge Pats fan, I’m late to this party. Like everybody else I was shocked by the 1 QB, 2 RB thing, but relieved that some of those guys are back in the fold. I could see the Pats winning 10 games, but I could also seeing them winning 6 or 7. Should be interesting.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Even though I’m a huge Pats fan, I’m late to this party. Like everybody else I was shocked by the 1 QB, 2 RB thing, but relieved that some of those guys are back in the fold. I could see the Pats winning 10 games, but I could also seeing them winning 6 or 7. Should be interesting.

Exactly

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I can't stand Zolak but Felger annoys me even more.

• Options

Zo is the only one on either station that I could listen to and thats only because he adds a point of view as a former player that the other hosts can't match. He can be a tool at times though.
    The rest are just a bunch of toxic idiots that think that just because they sit behind a microphone talking sports then their viewpoint is always right. It doesn't help when 4/5 callers parrot that same sentiment.

There are so many podcasts on YT that give you better content with whatever you're looking for,IMO.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Zo is the only one on either station that I could listen to and thats only because he adds a point of view as a former player that the other hosts can't match. He can be a tool at times though.
    The rest are just a bunch of toxic idiots that think that just because they sit behind a microphone talking sports then their viewpoint is always right. It doesn't help when 4/5 callers parrot that same sentiment.

There are so many podcasts on YT that give you better content with whatever you're looking for,IMO.

I listen a lot of sports radio here in Texas. The last three or four times I've been in Massachusetts I have listened to both stations while I am driving. I've also listened to segments on my phone at certain times. I can say for sure that Zolak is primarily my favorite of all the offerings. lol.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2023 1:20PM

My mistake, wrong thread. Lol

• Options

Former Panthers QB Matt Corral has been signed by NE.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

Also, back to radio personalities for a sec, I really like Rich Keefe.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    I like it.

Also, back to radio personalities for a sec, I really like Rich Keefe.

I don't listen to his show often but Keefe is pretty good for Celtics talk.

• Options

This is a name I used to hear pretty regularly as he played right up the road at TCU.

As for this season, no I am not giving up. We are in a spot where things are not looking like they are set up the best. Meaning that if Mac fails there could be excuses. But it does't matter. This has to be his put up or shut up year. I'm hoping he puts up good to great numbers and we go into next season a lot more confident than we are now.

• Options

Are we retiring the number 12 today?

• Options

All I could find was Kraft will be honoring Tom Brady today. I just hope my stream shows the halftime stuff in the stadium.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    All I could find was Kraft will be honoring Tom Brady today. I just hope my stream shows the halftime stuff in the stadium.

Will they show the halftime on regular tv? Or should I try to find a stream that is local to New England?

• Options

I doubt that regular tv shows it, I'm not even sure if the streams will have it. I know for Celtics games they usually air the stadium feed so you see whats happening on the court during halftime but IIRC NFL games usually hve the halftime show of whatever network is airing them.

While I was searching through articles to see if there was any mention of Brady's #12 getting retired I listened to a Kraft interview with Devin Mccourty and Kraft said that this would be the first of many celebrations for Tom Brady do who knows if it is or not.

• Options

Pats 20
    Eagles 14

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Will they show the halftime on regular tv? Or should I try to find a stream that is local to New England?

Looks like the team will be airing it on YT.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUtbErle5g

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2023 1:54PM

@perkdog said:
    Pats 20
    Eagles 14

Well, so much for that prediction. 16-0 Eagles ... 1st quarter - YIKES!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Anyone else feel like helping me tie up Mac Jones at halftime and giving his jersey to Brady to finish out the 2nd half?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, questionable play calling on that last drive for the Pats. Thought I was watching the Browns!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Damn, questionable play calling on that last drive for the Pats. Thought I was watching the Browns!

Yup. Even though it ended like it did I saw enough today to feel confident that they'll improve over last season. Tis was one of those games i expected as a loss.

Congrats on the Bengals smackdown!

• Options

Closer than I really thought

They played very well

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I doubt that regular tv shows it, I'm not even sure if the streams will have it. I know for Celtics games they usually air the stadium feed so you see whats happening on the court during halftime but IIRC NFL games usually hve the halftime show of whatever network is airing them.

While I was searching through articles to see if there was any mention of Brady's #12 getting retired I listened to a Kraft interview with Devin Mccourty and Kraft said that this would be the first of many celebrations for Tom Brady do who knows if it is or not.

I> @perkdog said:

They played very well

It was.

But I think that a little of the optimism provided by the game is provided by the belief that the Eagles are a great team. And the Eagles didn't play a great game. Still, after going down quickly, we made it a game and had some chances.

I do feel like the way we played makes me feel better going forward. Our schedule is brutal through week 4.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I> @perkdog said:

They played very well

It was.

But I think that a little of the optimism provided by the game is provided by the belief that the Eagles are a great team. And the Eagles didn't play a great game. Still, after going down quickly, we made it a game and had some chances.

I do feel like the way we played makes me feel better going forward. Our schedule is brutal through week 4.

It could have been the weather or that it was week one or even all of the hoopla about Brady returning bit you could tell that the offense was playing too tight in that first quarter. Zeke's fumble, lots of passes deflecting off recievers hands and Mac's INT. I was more disappointed of his half-ass attempt at tackling the guy running it to the house than I was of the interception.

As for the Eagles having a bad game,they were still a team that had twice as many wins as NE last season (16 total to NE's 8.)
    After Philly went up 16-0 this game could have gone in an entirely different direction but it didn't. Barring any major injuries, this defense is going to be nasty this year.

Big game against Miami next week,luckily the first meeting is in NE not Maimi.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

game was a lot closer than i thought. there were positive takeaways. i am hoping for a winning record this season

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.