Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:
    Not only the Super Bowls but something I don’t hear mentioned very much is Brady won 17 division titles in his 18 years with the pats.

Probably because div. titles don’t mean as much to some people as they do to me. Being a chiefs fan I absolutely relish when they finish ahead of the raiders and broncos.
    Chiefs have won the afc west 7 straight years and I’m hoping it doesn’t end soon.

I’m appreciating how great Brady was even more since he retired. While he was playing I just got tired of him winning all the time. 😉

PS- So I think Brady won 20 out of 21 division titles counting Tampa for a division winning percentage of 95.2

honestly, it sounds cocky or pompous, but I think I can speak for many NE fans that the division titles were really expected after a few years. but looking back at how it was then, it really was remarkable. 95% winning his division.

personally, I was all about the AFCCG and SB. I believe the Patriots went to 13 AFCCG during the 18 full Brady years. It is really beyond belief that one team could go that many times. And then the 9 SB appearances.

If you add his TB years, in 21 full seasons-10 SB appearances. just about half of his career, he was in the big game.

I am sure I will never see anything like it again in my lifetime.

I have no regrets with the Pats currently being a poor to middling team, I was able to witness greatness every week for almost 20 seasons.

Aside from the small wi dow when the Jets were relevant the division was a joke so it absolutely was expected

Heck it was literally Super Bowl Win or bust for me lol

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

NE just signed free agent QB Will Grier to their 53man roster replacing CB Marcus Jones who went on IR.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

alright guys, are we going to crush zach wilson and beat the jets?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2023 6:19AM

@craig44 said:

Doubtful

We will possibly pull out a W but we are not crushing anyone

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Doubtful

We will possibly pull out a W but we are not crushing anyone

I was just hoping our line would crush Zach. I agree we wont be crushing any team this year.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

The Jets are a joke, and I feel doubtful that we win.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

The Jets are a joke, and I feel doubtful that we win.

I both love and hate this comment!!🤣

• Options

Unfortunately I missed the entirety of that Pats/Fins game but from what I've been reading/hearing over this past week is I didn't miss much.

Losing CB/PR Marcus Jones for at minimum 4 weeks with a Torn Labrum is going to hurt. He's been more than adequate in his role on defense but there's no chance of seeing a repeat performance like this in NY this weekend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbgKbOT0Ec

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Unfortunately I missed the entirety of that Pats/Fins game but from what I've been reading/hearing over this past week is I didn't miss much.

Losing CB/PR Marcus Jones for at minimum 4 weeks with a Torn Labrum is going to hurt. He's been more than adequate in his role on defense but there's no chance of seeing a repeat performance like this in NY this weekend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbgKbOT0Ec

I remember that and still cringe at that almost block in the back for absolutely zero reason

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Patriots are going to win on Sunday

to tha bank

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

to tha bank

Can we get @stevek in here for a long awaited stone cold lock? 😉

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

to tha bank

Can we get @stevek in here for a long awaited stone cold lock? 😉

The younger version of Bill Belichick would never allow his Patriots team to go 0-3. But this is now the 71 year old version of Bill Belichick. So who knows?

Mac Jones certainly must be under a lot of pressure to win this game because 0-3 is stone cold ugly. Let's see if the kid steps it up or not. Rightly or wrongly, fans usually shift a lot of blame on the QB when things go sour.

Hey I called the Eagles games right twice in a row, even against the spread. Which admittedly is the exact same thing as I called heads, and the coin came up heads two straight times. 😆

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

to tha bank

love to see it. 0-3 is ugly, and would turn into 0-4 against Dallas

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

to tha bank

love to see it. 0-3 is ugly, and would turn into 0-4 against Dallas

BB would never do it but if they lose these next two games then I'm all for tanking for as high as a draft pick as possible to go after some elite talent.

• Options

Bad time to be a NE cornerback named Jones, Marcus & Jack both got sent to IR earlier this week and Jonathan Jones now out for this Jets game.

• Options

Up 10-0 on the Jets in the 2nd. This lead should be insurmountable

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:
    Not only the Super Bowls but something I don’t hear mentioned very much is Brady won 17 division titles in his 18 years with the pats.

Probably because div. titles don’t mean as much to some people as they do to me. Being a chiefs fan I absolutely relish when they finish ahead of the raiders and broncos.
    Chiefs have won the afc west 7 straight years and I’m hoping it doesn’t end soon.

I’m appreciating how great Brady was even more since he retired. While he was playing I just got tired of him winning all the time. 😉

PS- So I think Brady won 20 out of 21 division titles counting Tampa for a division winning percentage of 95.2

honestly, it sounds cocky or pompous, but I think I can speak for many NE fans that the division titles were really expected after a few years. but looking back at how it was then, it really was remarkable. 95% winning his division.

personally, I was all about the AFCCG and SB. I believe the Patriots went to 13 AFCCG during the 18 full Brady years. It is really beyond belief that one team could go that many times. And then the 9 SB appearances.

If you add his TB years, in 21 full seasons-10 SB appearances. just about half of his career, he was in the big game.

I am sure I will never see anything like it again in my lifetime.

I have no regrets with the Pats currently being a poor to middling team, I was able to witness greatness every week for almost 20 seasons.

So how many generations are Patriot fans supposed to wait because of poor management? I’ll remind you of Connie Mack who built great baseball teams in 1929 and ‘30. Then he sold off his players and then had nothing, often really bad teams, until the Athletics left Philadelphia in 1954.

It doesn’t take long for fans to abandon the team.

It's not that it made us cocky or arrogant, it's just that our sense of what success meant was skewed.

It felt like SB or bust.

There are certain pleasures you can take during the season. Winning the division is great. But just beating your division opponents/main rivals can be enjoyable if you don't have a team that's really in it.

Unfortunately, this version of the Patriots looks like it might go 0-6 in the division. So what's left? Usually, if your team is that bad, you are left with taking joy in the humiliation and suffering of other teams.

We have really come full circle back to the old days. Lol

We expected a letdown when Brady left, but the lack progress is the disappointing aspect of it. Belichick did a superb job for many years. Unfortunately “coach emeritus” is not a valid position in pro football. You need to continue to produce.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I guess a win is a win, but that was not an impressive game.

• Options

I'll take it. Now see if they can get back to .500 in Dallas next week.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I guess a win is a win, but that was not an impressive game.

It should almost count as half a win for any team playing against Zach Wilson as the starter, but good for them for taking advantage, If the Jets want to throw their season away starting Wilson that would be very fitting for them

• Options

I will take any win. for 90% of the game the defense was swarming Wilson. It was really not as close as the final score indicated.

• Options

If Dallas can lose to.AZ they sure as hell can lose against our Patriots

Happy they got their first W

• Options

This was interesting to see,ProFootballFocus has Christain Gonzalez has the 5th highest Cornerback grade in football after the first 3 weeks. That's overall not just for the rookies.
    He also had the highest grade of all first round picks this week too after finishing 7th last week. He's more than held his own going up against 3 legit Wideouts during that stretch in AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill & Garrett Wilson.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This was interesting to see,ProFootballFocus has Christain Gonzalez has the 5th highest Cornerback grade in football after the first 3 weeks. That's overall not just for the rookies.
    He also had the highest grade of all first round picks this week too after finishing 7th last week. He's more than held his own going up against 3 legit Wideouts during that stretch in AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill & Garrett Wilson.

I have been very impressed so far. too early to tell, but he is looking like a fantastic pick

• Options

@perkdog said:
    If Dallas can lose to.AZ they sure as hell can lose against our Patriots

Happy they got their first W

I loved what I saw from the Defense Sunday. I realize that it was against Z Wilson, but I am hoping they can continue against Dallas. Micah Parsons scares me though. He is a menace and I am afraid he could possibly break Mac in half.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 7:13AM

The offense is always going to be the problem, the lack of weapons means a slow slog and a massive dependency on the D to hold down the fort

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

I have been very impressed so far. too early to tell, but he is looking like a fantastic pick

I missed out on his first INT last week while covering Tyreek Hill.

@perkdog said:
    The offense is always going to be the problem, the lack of weapons means a slow slog and a massive dependency on the D to hold down the fort

They got away with losing 3 CBs to injury and still beat the Jets, we'll see if they can pull it off again in Dallas.

On offense, It would be nice to see Zeke throwback the clock and have a big game in his old stadium.

• Options

Hoodie doesn't mind having the highest paid long snapper but will skimp on WR's lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Hoodie doesn't mind having the highest paid long snapper but will skimp on WR's lol

At this point,its almost like a countdown to that Wins record in more ways than one. We hear rumors of maybe Jerod Mayo possibly being next in line for Bill's HC job but what if Bill sticks around as GM? Yikes. 😨

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 8:11AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

At this point,its almost like a countdown to that Wins record in more ways than one. We hear rumors of maybe Jerod Mayo possibly being next in line for Bill's HC job but what if Bill sticks around as GM? Yikes. 😨

You know i never even thought if that, that would be a problem.

I wonder if and when Jonathan Kraft gets the reigns of the franchise if he will want to start his own legacy with putting all the pieces together, they obviously want a winning culture and looking at Bills drafting history I cannot see any reason why Jonathan would consider that being a smart move but who the heck knows

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I wonder if and when Jonathan Kraft gets the reigns of the franchise if he will want to start his own legacy with putting all the pieces together, they obviously want a winning culture and looking at Bills drafting history I cannot see any reason why Jonathan would consider that being a smart move but who the heck knows

I would hope so but Bob Kraft and his Air Force Ones will live on forever, its all those private trips to the spa. 😉

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Kraft family didn't let Brady buy in as part owner like he did with the Raiders and tried doing with the Dolphins. I hope this situation doesn't turn into one similar to Larry Bird & the Celtics where Tom ties himself down to another franchise like Bird did with the Indiana Pacers.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

This is the worst timeline. Lol

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I would hope so but Bob Kraft and his Air Force Ones will live on forever, its all those private trips to the spa. 😉

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Kraft family didn't let Brady buy in as part owner like he did with the Raiders and tried doing with the Dolphins. I hope this situation doesn't turn into one similar to Larry Bird & the Celtics where Tom ties himself down to another franchise like Bird did with the Indiana Pacers.

In all seriousness (though I know it's business, so this doesn't happen) the Krafts should have just gifted Brady a piece.

Also, this conversation is starting to sound eerily similar to what I hear all of the time about the Cowboys ownership.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

In all seriousness (though I know it's business, so this doesn't happen) the Krafts should have just gifted Brady a piece.

Also, this conversation is starting to sound eerily similar to what I hear all of the time about the Cowboys ownership.

I hope this happens, it would be a shame to see Tom's post-playing days connected with some other team. Maybe give him a role like Marino has had in Miami for all these years.

I doubt Brady would want to go the coaching route but having him around the players especially the QBs/offense wouldnt hurt. The one thing against this all happening,imo, is Brady might not want to live in NE now that he's done playing.

• Options

@perkdog said:

The last year that I could follow the Patriots, Brady had no one to throw to. I remember one of his last touchdown passes for Pats was a tackle eligible play. No body covered him. That’s when Brady knew it was time go. “Hoodie” wasn’t giving him a support.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

The last year that I could follow the Patriots, Brady had no one to throw to. I remember one of his last touchdown passes for Pats was a tackle eligible play. No body covered him. That’s when Brady knew it was time go. “Hoodie” wasn’t giving him a support.

100% fact, it still annoys me

• Options

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

i felt it was BB trying to be a big shot and the one that let the GOAT go. I imagine they would have had more success had Tommy been behind center the past 3 seasons.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

i felt it was BB trying to be a big shot and the one that let the GOAT go. I imagine they would have had more success had Tommy been behind center the past 3 seasons.

I always wanted Brady to stay forever. Play even when he was terrible.

If that had happened, some fans would be calling for his head. But I think it would have been great.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

I always wanted Brady to stay forever. Play even when he was terrible.

If that had happened, some fans would be calling for his head. But I think it would have been great.

I agree. completely. I would take 50-year-old Tommy on my team. Wheel him out to the huddle as far as I am concerned.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I'll take it. Now see if they can get back to .500 in Dallas next week.

I’ll be rooting for the pats. Hope Dallas and their overrated defense gets destroyed.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2023 1:57PM

the Patriots had 3rd and 1 at the Dallas 6. hoodie had 2 sneaks at his disposal which is all but a guaranteed first down and a fresh set inside the 5, yet he dialed up a pass play on 3rd and kicked a field goal.

it just never stops with these idiot head coaches

• Options

Already missing all 3 of Marcus/Jack/Jonathan jones and now Gonzalez goes down. 🤬
    Its going to be a FA cornerback convention in NE this week.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    the Patriots had 3rd and 1 at the Dallas 6. hoodie had 2 sneaks at his disposal which is all but a guaranteed first down and a fresh set inside the 5, yet he dialed up a pass play on 3rd and kicked a field goal.

it just never stops with these idiot head coaches

Terrible play calling. Needed that TD

• Options
    edited October 1, 2023 2:04PM

Brady always got it

ETA: referring to the sneak

• Options

People said this was going to be close. I smell a Dallas rout.

Hoodie just called a quarterback sneak that didn’t work. Hoodie is the modern Tom Landry in his last years.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Brady always got it

everyone gets it. the only way you don't get it is if you fall on the ground without anyone touching you like Mac Jones just did 😅

• Options

🤬

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Brady always got it

everyone gets it. the only way you don't get it is if you fall on the ground without anyone touching you like Mac Jones just did 😅

I would be surprised if Mac Jones just closed his eyes and fell forward.

• Options

We used to make other teams look dumb.