Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:
    Will Mac Jones ever improve or is this as good as it gets?

nope, this is as good as it gets. noodle arm and poor decision-making. He kept rolling to his right and trying to throw across the field like he had John Elways arm attached to his right shoulder.

His arm strength is fine and its not entirely his fault. I know some people got upset with me for being critical of the Pats draft using their first three picks on defense and a 4th rounder on a kicker, but Jones needs help and weapons that they just arent giving him. Hes not going to be elite or a HOFer but hes also not getting any help with their roster. The best QBs all have weapons and only a few can elevate average guys into very good guys

His arm strength is not fine, he is an effort thrower and really needs to wind up to get the ball out with any velo. his "deep" balls are inaccurate and seldom used in the game plan because his arm is weak and he has to really load up to get the ball out past 35-40 yards and cannot put any touch on those passes because he has to effort them out.

deep outs are also not in the arsenal because it is too dangerous for him to throw them because he doesnt have the velo on the ball. no arm strength to throw off his back foot when under pressure. definitely not the arm strength to roll out and throw across the field. when he needs to really whistle a ball into a small window, he needs to load up so much to get that velo that his accuracy is shot and he gets overthrows or throws behind the receiver. Even Zappe (who is not good) has more zip on his ball than Mac. Mac is limiting the game plan because he is incapable of making some passes accurately due to having to load up so much to generate the velo to deliver the ball.

If you watch the games, you will see what I am seeing. A noodle armed QB.

Accuracy and strength are two different things. His "deep ball wrs" arent exactly great either. Theyre seldom thrown because they cant block long enough and they dont have the wrs to be throwing them often, When he had Devonta,and Jameson Williams his deep balls were just fine and Williams especially is significantly faster than anyone they have.

Hes not a noodle arm qb but I can understand wanting to put the blame on that. Theres at least 10 starting NFL qbs with weaker arms. Hes right in the middle of the pack which is just fine arm strength to succeed, not everyone has to be Jeff George throwing a 100 mphs every throw

Arm strength definitely affects accuracy on downfield throws, and that is what i am talking about. To get necessary velo on his throws, Mac has to load up and really grit the ball downfield at 100% of his effort. It is similar to a pitcher losing control when he tries to throw at 100% effort. If he backs down a little the control comes back. Mac does not have the arm strength to back down and gain more accuracy because if he lets up, the ball will not get there and possibly get picked in the process. So, to get the ball out and where it needs to be, its max effort and loss of accuracy.

I have been watching the game for almost 40 years. I can recognize a noodle arm when i see it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Patriots re-acquire J.C. Jackson from chargers.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I maybe wrong but I think NE got a comp pick for losing him. Not bad to then get him back a couple years later for a late round pick swp.

• Options

Man that stinks about Judon & Gonzalez both being out indefinitely with the possibility that they don't return. You could make the argument that they've been their best two players on defense so far.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

I maybe wrong but I think NE got a comp pick for losing him. Not bad to then get him back a couple years later for a late round pick swp.

healthy scratch salary dump :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

healthy scratch salary dump :D

Hey he was great in Belichick's system with interceptions totals of 3/5/9/8 during that 4 seasons. Who cares how he played for the Chargers, we need CBs lol.

• Options

he has a bum knee

• Options

and a warrant for his arrest :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    and a warrant for his arrest :D

Kraft will take care of that with a couple front row tickets.

• Options

he does have a bad knee. I dont know that he is ready to play yet.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

nope, this is as good as it gets. noodle arm and poor decision-making. He kept rolling to his right and trying to throw across the field like he had John Elways arm attached to his right shoulder.

His arm strength is fine and its not entirely his fault. I know some people got upset with me for being critical of the Pats draft using their first three picks on defense and a 4th rounder on a kicker, but Jones needs help and weapons that they just arent giving him. Hes not going to be elite or a HOFer but hes also not getting any help with their roster. The best QBs all have weapons and only a few can elevate average guys into very good guys

His arm strength is not fine, he is an effort thrower and really needs to wind up to get the ball out with any velo. his "deep" balls are inaccurate and seldom used in the game plan because his arm is weak and he has to really load up to get the ball out past 35-40 yards and cannot put any touch on those passes because he has to effort them out.

deep outs are also not in the arsenal because it is too dangerous for him to throw them because he doesnt have the velo on the ball. no arm strength to throw off his back foot when under pressure. definitely not the arm strength to roll out and throw across the field. when he needs to really whistle a ball into a small window, he needs to load up so much to get that velo that his accuracy is shot and he gets overthrows or throws behind the receiver. Even Zappe (who is not good) has more zip on his ball than Mac. Mac is limiting the game plan because he is incapable of making some passes accurately due to having to load up so much to generate the velo to deliver the ball.

Accuracy and strength are two different things. His "deep ball wrs" arent exactly great either. Theyre seldom thrown because they cant block long enough and they dont have the wrs to be throwing them often, When he had Devonta,and Jameson Williams his deep balls were just fine and Williams especially is significantly faster than anyone they have.

Hes not a noodle arm qb but I can understand wanting to put the blame on that. Theres at least 10 starting NFL qbs with weaker arms. Hes right in the middle of the pack which is just fine arm strength to succeed, not everyone has to be Jeff George throwing a 100 mphs every throw

Arm strength definitely affects accuracy on downfield throws, and that is what i am talking about. To get necessary velo on his throws, Mac has to load up and really grit the ball downfield at 100% of his effort. It is similar to a pitcher losing control when he tries to throw at 100% effort. If he backs down a little the control comes back. Mac does not have the arm strength to back down and gain more accuracy because if he lets up, the ball will not get there and possibly get picked in the process. So, to get the ball out and where it needs to be, its max effort and loss of accuracy.

I have been watching the game for almost 40 years. I can recognize a noodle arm when i see it.

Arm strength doesnt affect accuracy at all unless youre asking someone to throw a hail mary. You control how hard you throw something and when to use it and when not to use it. You also control arc etc. His arm strength is more than fine, the blocking isnt, the wrs arent. Hes not great, but hes no where near as bad as hes looked there. He wont ever succeed there and frankly theres maybe only 1 or two qbs that might with this offensive roster.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

He was so bad the Chargers didnt him dress him when he was healthy and their defense improved without him. Them being able to get any money off the books and get rid of Jackson is a win for the Chargers

• Options
    edited October 4, 2023 5:03PM

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

He was so bad the Chargers didnt him dress him when he was healthy and their defense improved without him. Them being able to get any money off the books and get rid of Jackson is a win for the Chargers

Its going to be a win for NE as well. They get back a player that excelled in their system,they already received a 4th round comp pick for him (although I'm too lazy to check who was actually taken with that pick) plus they'll be paying a fraction of his salary.

It sucks for this season where Jack & Marcus Jones are already on IR,Gonzalez is likely heading there and Jonathan Jones is currently injured but with those four and Jackson signed thru next season they'll have one hell of a CB group.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

Its going to be a win for NE as well. They get back a player that excelled in their system,they already received a 4th round comp pick for him (although I'm too lazy to check who was actually taken with that pick) plus they'll be paying a fraction of his salary.

It sucks for this season where Jack & Marcus Jones are already on IR,Gonzalez is likely heading there and Jonathan Jones is currently injured but with those four and Jackson signed thru next season they'll have one hell of a CB group.

My gut tells me that he will eventually do well in his return.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

Belichick's players always do well when they return after failing elsewhere lol.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

Belichick's players always do well when they return after failing elsewhere lol.

Like some of his coaches.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

It certainly could be a win win for both sides, time will tell. Its not out of the question that he just got lazy or doesnt care now that he was paid. Chargers have superbowl hopes or at least playoff hopes and hes going to a team that very likely wont make the playoffs. If he ends up being very good again thats a big issue that he didnt try on the Chargers

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

It certainly could be a win win for both sides, time will tell. Its not out of the question that he just got lazy or doesnt care now that he was paid. Chargers have superbowl hopes or at least playoff hopes and hes going to a team that very likely wont make the playoffs. If he ends up being very good again thats a big issue that he didnt try on the Chargers

OR maybe just that the Chargers failed to put him in a situation where he'd excel. So many of these defensive players that Belichick finds eventually move on to othert teams and don't have anywhere near the same type of success as they had playing in Bill's system.
    I know its the cliche thing around here now to just bash Belichick for any & every little thing but Bill's best coaching attribute has always been finding certain players that fit in is defense.

As for the Chargers,if their recent history is an indicator as to how their season goes,they're likely looking at a non-winning season. Since 2009 the Chargers MO has been 2 winning seasons then 2 seasons at .500 or below,like clockwork. I wouldn't be surprised at all if LA finishes with a record similar to NE's.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

OR maybe just that the Chargers failed to put him in a situation where he'd excel. So many of these defensive players that Belichick finds eventually move on to othert teams and don't have anywhere near the same type of success as they had playing in Bill's system.
    I know its the cliche thing around here now to just bash Belichick for any & every little thing but Bill's best coaching attribute has always been finding certain players that fit in is defense.

As for the Chargers,if their recent history is an indicator as to how their season goes,they're likely looking at a non-winning season. Since 2009 the Chargers MO has been 2 winning seasons then 2 seasons at .500 or below,like clockwork. I wouldn't be surprised at all if LA finishes with a record similar to NE's.

Even if we say the Chargers secondary is trash, that should have meant that the best DB never got thrown at and teams just threw it everywhere else. Usually when a DB is doing poorly its because either the line isnt getting pressure which the Chargers where or theyre matching up against WRs that outclass them. The Chargers deserve to lose every game for leaving SD, but it doesnt change the fact he was bad there. Good for him if he could turn it around, but I seriously doubt hes going to be any sort of game changer

• Options
    edited October 5, 2023 5:58AM

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

Arm strength doesnt affect accuracy at all unless youre asking someone to throw a hail mary. You control how hard you throw something and when to use it and when not to use it. You also control arc etc. His arm strength is more than fine, the blocking isnt, the wrs arent. Hes not great, but hes no where near as bad as hes looked there. He wont ever succeed there and frankly theres maybe only 1 or two qbs that might with this offensive roster.

This is just wrong. lets say you are a pitcher. is your control/accuracy as good when you are maxed out at 100% effort or when you back down a little? Same with throwing a football. of course your accuracy suffers if you are maxing out on the difficult throws. That is Mac's problem. his accuracy suffers when he really needs to whistle one into tight coverage. Or when he throws a crossing pattern. Or a deep out. Or a Post corner.

I am not even talking about hail mary's or deep passes 50 yards down the field. Mac has a hard time with throws NFL quarterbacks should be able to make.

Look, on this years arm strength ratings from the ringer, Mac ranks last in the NFL. behind Josh Dobbs.

“We’ve seen plenty of quarterbacks put together long, successful careers with average arm strength. And many have been able to add velocity with some mechanical tweets,” The Ringer wrote. “The bad news is that Jones has a long way to go before we can consider his arm even average for an NFL starter.”

Jones’ 70 score was the worst among quarterbacks, with Arizona Cardinals’ Josh Dobbs having the second-worst arm talent score at 71.

It is not just me seeing this. of course, I do watch every down of every Patriots game. For the last 35+ seasons...

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

Even if we say the Chargers secondary is trash, that should have meant that the best DB never got thrown at and teams just threw it everywhere else. Usually when a DB is doing poorly its because either the line isnt getting pressure which the Chargers where or theyre matching up against WRs that outclass them. The Chargers deserve to lose every game for leaving SD, but it doesnt change the fact he was bad there. Good for him if he could turn it around, but I seriously doubt hes going to be any sort of game changer

I'm not expecting any miracles after BB traded for Jackson, the team is still down its top 4 CBs. Its just that he can come knowing the defensive playbook already and like I mentioned above those 5 CBs are all signed thru next year so that group should be a huge strength going into 2024,imo. As for this season,we'll see how it goes soon enough.

• Options

I would be surprised if we keep J.C. beyond this season. The chargers are paying all but 1.5MM for this season, next season we would be on the hook for all of it. I could see BB releasing him after the season. He definitely won't pay full value now that JC has had the knee injury.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

This is just wrong. lets say you are a pitcher. is your control/accuracy as good when you are maxed out at 100% effort or when you back down a little? Same with throwing a football. of course your accuracy suffers if you are maxing out on the difficult throws. That is Mac's problem. his accuracy suffers when he really needs to whistle one into tight coverage. Or when he throws a crossing pattern. Or a deep out. Or a Post corner.

I am not even talking about hail mary's or deep passes 50 yards down the field. Mac has a hard time with throws NFL quarterbacks should be able to make.

Look, on this years arm strength ratings from the ringer, Mac ranks last in the NFL. behind Josh Dobbs.

“We’ve seen plenty of quarterbacks put together long, successful careers with average arm strength. And many have been able to add velocity with some mechanical tweets,” The Ringer wrote. “The bad news is that Jones has a long way to go before we can consider his arm even average for an NFL starter.”

Jones’ 70 score was the worst among quarterbacks, with Arizona Cardinals’ Josh Dobbs having the second-worst arm talent score at 71.

It is not just me seeing this. of course, I do watch every down of every Patriots game. For the last 35+ seasons...

Every QB has accuracy suffer trying to zip one into a tight spot. The thing with Mac though, and I say this as someone who said before the season I think he will fail there, every QB would have a hard time there right now other than maybe 2 or 3 that can run a bunch as well. Unless Mac got hurt his arm hasnt gotten worse than it was at Alabama. His arm strength was perfectly fine for the NFL while he was there the difference is hes throwing off his back foot a heck of a lot more now to whats a bad WR core and the majority of NFL QBs will have bad arm strength ratings in those situations. Look what has happened to Burrow because of a calf injury and not being able to move. Jones isnt and never was a runaround create your own plays guy which is what theyre asking him to be.

• Options

its almost like deliberate sabotage .

how many massive strokes would a guy need to have to decide to stand pat on Oline , dump the teams best receiver in favor of a damaged one at the same money. draft special teams losers, hire matt and joe to coach offense , trade garapalo and brisette and chase brady away
    the special teams thing really annoys me, there never needs to be one player drafted for special teams play again. fair catch or let it roll in the end zone every time who cares ? The rules have changed all that kicking game garbage is over and done

is he the stupidest idiot to ever GM a team? even the dead guy from weekend at bernies would randomly draft better.

hes just so self absorbed that he needs to prove everyone wrong to the point of repeatedly biting his own nose off to spite his face . has this turd ever taken ownership of a stupid mistake? he's insufferable there have been so many glaring mistakes in the past 5 years its embarrassing

• Options

bronco2078 I did not know Festus Haggan played for the A's.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

when the forum software was updated I was unable to get my ford bronco avatar to attach for some reason so i had to pick one at random. This is a player from baseballs earliest days named litterbox nugget

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

when the forum software was updated I was unable to get my ford bronco avatar to attach for some reason so i had to pick one at random. This is a player from baseballs earliest days named litterbox nugget

I'm just commenting here for posterity.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

It seriously looks like Festus Haggan from Gunsmoke to me.

• Options

i did not realize festus even had a last name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 3:24AM

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

I always wondered what was behind the name and avatar lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

bronco2078 was my AOL instant messenger handle and my original pogo id back in the late 90's
    unoriginal but i had at the time an average of 20+ 1978 broncos in my yard

down to only 3 broncos now and they are all on injured reserve :(

i dont miss AIM but pogo was fun and might even still exist

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

bronco2078 was my AOL instant messenger handle and my original pogo id back in the late 90's
    unoriginal but i had at the time an average of 20+ 1978 broncos in my yard

down to only 3 broncos now and they are all on injured reserve :(

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

who is number 20?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

This game versus the mediocre New Orleans team is a big one for Belichick. If he loses this one at home, we could be on our way to the return of the “bad old Patriot days” when they would win three or four games a year. It doesn’t look good for the games against Buffalo and Miami. There is little chance for the playoffs, but it would be nice to be respectable. The Dallas game was a major embarrassment.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I dont think there is any chance for playoffs. at this point, with the injuries to the defense, i would rather see them 1-16 with a high draft pick. middle of the pack is the worst place to be.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I dont think there is any chance for playoffs. at this point, with the injuries to the defense, i would rather see them 1-16 with a high draft pick. middle of the pack is the worst place to be.

The trouble is Belichick will be “picking the groceries.” I have lost confidence in him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2023 10:53AM

@craig44 said:

Unfortunately I think today starts a run of wins, or more wins, and we end up picking much later than 10th.

ETA: 🤣

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

Unfortunately I think today starts a run of wins, or more wins, and we end up picking much later than 10th.

I think that they'll win some games but are likely going to finish somewhere in that 8-15 range in the draft. Despite all of the BB hate in recent weeks,he's likely to lead them to a handful of wins just through his gameplanning.

With all of this talk about Belichick getting fired,there's likely a better chance that they move on from Mac at the end of the year than there is of Bill getting axed.
    I just took a quick look at which Qbs are expected to hit free agency: Cousins,Tannehil,Bridgewater,Mayfield,Darnold,Winston,Taylor,Mariota,Minshew,Gabbert,Rudolph (& Zappe.)
    Kraft may not want another rebuild with drafting a rookie QB but maybe going with a vet seems a better choice for the time being. They're still expected to have a ton of cap space when nobody has been signed longterm.

• Options

I can't believe I picked the Pats in the picks contest. 🤷

• Options

Damn. Mac tries dumping the ball off, it gets deflected then picked off for a TD.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2023 10:43AM

Can we retire Jones to the Hall of Shame?

Belichick’s rookie place kicker is now 4 for 8.

• Options

Top to bottom, side to side, coaches, personnel. Terrible

• Options
    edited October 8, 2023 10:48AM

At this rate, Hootie will have coach another decade to beat Shula’s win record. He was also have most all time losses, just like Connie Mack in baseball.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Even the Jumbotron is causing the kicker to miss kicks. Time to rip it down!

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Anything for an excuse. The problems start with the head coach and his personnel picks.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Is that the excuse for why he missed? What a waste of a pick. And we picked another kicker a few years ago who essentially never saw the field, right? The tattoo guy?

• Options

Why not just put Zappe in now?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Is that the excuse for why he missed? What a waste of a pick. And we picked another kicker a few years ago who essentially never saw the field, right? The tattoo guy?

Don’t look now, but Belichick’s choice for punter has the lowest average in the NFL. Of course it doesn’t help when your center hikes the ball on his shoe tops. Belichick wastes his best picks on third rate kickers.

• Options

21 - zip.

Hoodie has no offense, no defense and no kickers.

Other than that, Hootie has a Supper Bowl caliber team. :(

• Options

We are the worst team in the league